Landing Spots for Brodeur

Devils Pride 26

A Backstrom/Marty tandem might rival Soderstrom/Fichaud as one of the worst in league history. Kuemper looks to be shaping into an NHL goalie, so I don't see Minnesota going for Marty unless they buy out Backtrom, but that would seem counter-productive.

I don't know if Marty is really going to have a place to go. Most teams have a starter and backup that are already better than him. It would take a franchise willing to sacrifice wins for jersey sales and sports page coverage. Soooo the Leafs. Or the New York Jets.

The idea that any GM would make a decision on Brodeur based on tickets or jersey sales is laughable. As to Colin's point, even if Brodeur did sell a thousand jerseys or so, what's that worth to a GM or Owner for that matter if he is guaranteed to make your team worse. No one is going to want Brodeur's jersey if he sucks. No one is going to want to go see him if he and by extension the team..sucks. Even Jagr, a legendary player who is still an excellent player, didn't bring more fans into this building or the Stars building last year.

I know it isn't generally known to the average fan around the league how bad Brodeur is because people can look at GAA and wins, but he is what he is. Those fans will find out soon enough.

And of course, we'd have to deal with the blind fanboys who'd pull this crap:

Schneider plays four games, gives up six goals, stops 93% of the shots, but somehow goes 0-3-1

Marty plays two games, gives up 3 goals in one game, 4 in the next, stops 88% of the shots, but somehow goes 2-0-0

"Marty should keep starting!  He knows how to win!" 

Schneider plays four games, gives up six goals, stops 93% of the shots, but somehow goes 0-3-1

Marty plays two games, gives up 3 goals in one game, 4 in the next, stops 88% of the shots, but somehow goes 2-0-0

I've seen that this year and sadly by some good posters on this forum and even by Lou after Brodeur's 4-3 win against the Wings. It's the same BS about a pitcher's numbers being worse because he pitches to the score. 

Favorited 14 times

The phrase "timely save" would seem to imply that there are poorly-timed saves. "What were you thinking stopping that one??!?"

Edited by devilsrule33

Even worse, one of those fanboys is the coach

• Like 1

Marty is only fit to be a backup for ANY team --- and even then I think he's going to have to sell it.  If he's trying to Tao (go with the flow) his way into a new job he can pretty much forget it. 

If he just wants 700 wins -- well dude - everyone lives with regrets and this should be one of yours.  Adios.

It gets me irked if I imagine him seeing any value in his being on a team, beyond what he can offer from his high pine horse.

Even worse, one of those fanboys is the coach

I alluded to that before...I do generally like PDB, but I don't trust him if both goalies are in the fold next season.  I can't take quotes along the lines of "I don't care about save%" or "It's great having two legit #1 goalies on the roster." 

Landing Spots for Brodeur:

TSN, RDS, MSG, NBC

:giggle:  I think even then we're talking sports blog in Quebec.

I alluded to that before...I do generally like PDB, but I don't trust him if both goalies are in the fold next season.  I can't take quotes along the lines of "I don't care about save%" or "It's great having two legit #1 goalies on the roster." 

So you all think he's really that vapid?  I just can't imagine that... I mean then he's just nto the coach for any NHL team thinking like that.  Gosh.

:giggle:  I think even then we're talking sports blog in Quebec.

So you all think he's really that vapid?  I just can't imagine that... I mean then he's just nto the coach for any NHL team thinking like that.  Gosh.

I think, like Marty's teammates last year, PDB often says things he doesn't mean 100% with regards to Marty, because no one associated with the Devils wants to say anything bad about him, to be that guy who's actually honest about Marty's current level of play.  I'm sure some of those players (especially some of the ones who haven't been here as long) thought at one time or another last season "Geez, can we play the guy who stops pucks among the league's best as opposed to the one who's near league-worst?!" 

It's why it's time for him to go...there's no perfect way to handle the situation when Marty's here, guys have to say things they really don't believe, and we have to hear Marty pontificate about a future on the ice no one really wants to see. 

So no, don't think PDB is vapid, just think Marty's situation has a way of making everyone else's awkward and confusing.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I alluded to that before...I do generally like PDB, but I don't trust him if both goalies are in the fold next season. I can't take quotes along the lines of "I don't care about save%" or "It's great having two legit #1 goalies on the roster."

it's difficult for me to pin Marty's 39 starts directly on deboer, one reason being that we don't know how much influence Lou has in the day to day lineup, but also because id have to imagine theres a delicate balance to be had in the lockeroom with a person of Marty's influence and respect, especially on a veteran team where the better goalie being a complete newcomer.

I understand that the decision will always be pinned on the coach because he posts the lineup, but I'd have to think it's not as easy as looking at the save percentage. And you also can't take his quotes to the media as anything but what they are- quotes to the media that are meant to cause no hurt feelings or controversy in his lockerroom; let's not forget he's following the lead of Lou lamiorellio.

dmann, read my post after that...I'm not putting it all on PDB...I'm saying Marty being here makes things difficult and awkward for everyone.  PDB isn't the only one that has to say things he doesn't really buy into. 

dmann, read my post after that...I'm not putting it all on PDB...I'm saying Marty being here makes things difficult and awkward for everyone.  PDB isn't the only one that has to say things he doesn't really buy into.

yeah I was at work so started my post but forgot to submit for a few hours, I agree, I think if deboer had the final say here Marty would not get an offer to come back in any capacity- just too delicate a situation.

If, after everything we went through this past season, people STILL don't understand the negative ramifications of Marty just BEING on this roster in 2015, than I really have no idea what to tell you.

Amen to this.

He, unfortunately, was a negative presence in the locker room this past season. He's shown he's not interested in mentoring anyone (at least not yet).

Sidebar: Can you imagine if the Devils had made the playoffs this year? You know Marty would've expected to be the starter, even with Cory playing lights out.

He needs to move on.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

There's nothing wrong with Brodeur coming back here as a backup, and that's his only choice if he wants to play in the NHL.  No other NHL team is going to want him.  For example, last offseason Jagr would have likely not found a job in the NHL if not coming to NJ.  There's a continuing trend of teams not being interested in players who don't perform.  Jagr was coming off of what most Bruins fans would call a disappointing playoff run with BOS.  Marty is now coming off of a season where he averaged a .900 or less sv.%.  He'd be lucky to even find a backup job somewhere not named New Jersey.  I'm expecting him to re-sign here in a backup role and I'm sure his salary will reflect that.

Edited by RizzMB30

There's nothing wrong with Brodeur coming back here as a backup, and that's his only choice if he wants to play in the NHL.  No other NHL team is going to want him. 

Seriously, the bolded almost sounds like something MB would say.  There's plenty of reasons to be concerned with Marty coming back here, and they've all been discussed in detail. 

1) He's now a near bottom-of-the-league puckstopper, and has been for two seasons.  I won't do it again in detail, but 2010-11 and 2011-12 at least saw extended stretches of very good play.  2013 and last season really didn't, and one 10-game stretch really puffed Marty's not-so-good overall numbers up this past season.  For the most part last year, he was an .880ish guy, and the Devils can't afford that kind of play from their goalies, even if it's for 15-20 games.   

2) There's absolutely no evidence to suggest that he can be a decent backup, and considering how much he complained about lack of playing time affecting his game, I don't see him suddenly warming up to the idea (even if he says all of the right things).  I don't want to see quotes from Marty, when he's 1-4-2 with a GAA over 3.00 and a save% in the .880s, that basically state "Well, it's a difficult adjustment, I'm used to playing in a lot of games..."

3) Cory needs to be allowed to have a bad game or two without PDB giving Marty the white knight treatment.  Like I and others have said, we don't need to read PDB quotes about how lucky he is to have two such great, #1-type goalies.

Lou can find a backup who actually has backup experience and will be thought of as strictly a backup-type, who won't be 42 and won't have to learn a new role.  A guy like Hedberg would be perfect (the non-2013 version). 

There's nothing wrong with Brodeur coming back here as a backup, and that's his only choice if he wants to play in the NHL. No other NHL team is going to want him. For example, last offseason Jagr would have likely not found a job in the NHL if not coming to NJ. There's a continuing trend of teams not being interested in players who don't perform. Jagr was coming off of what most Bruins fans would call a disappointing playoff run with BOS. Marty is now coming off of a season where he averaged a .900 or less sv.%. He'd be lucky to even find a backup job somewhere not named New Jersey. I'm expecting him to re-sign here in a backup role and I'm sure his salary will reflect that.

Jagr would've very easily found another NHL job last year if not for the Devils.

If Brodeur can't find a landing spot and crawls back here and accepts a 15-17 start pure backup role with np bitching and whining to the media...I'd be fine with that. But Brodeur isnt humble, so this wont happen

If Brodeur can't find a landing spot and crawls back here and accepts a 15-17 start pure backup role with np bitching and whining to the media...I'd be fine with that. But Brodeur isnt humble, so this wont happen

Yeah, no way this happens. Personal jab at Marty aside, he's proven the ego won't let him step back into a backup roll. Which is fine - if you don't want to ride the bench, retire.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

with all our back to back games, NJ offers the most potential back up starts for Marty.  his agent came up empty at the deadline, and I don't see things changing much.  he'll have to agree to 15-20 games or retire. not concerned about Cory, the money will speak load and clear

with all our back to back games, NJ offers the most potential back up starts for Marty.  his agent came up empty at the deadline, and I don't see things changing much.  he'll have to agree to 15-20 games or retire. not concerned about Cory, the money will speak load and clear

Schedule for next year isn't out yet, AFAIK.  The post from a few weeks ago regarding back to backs was about last season.

I think we all know Brodeur doesn't want to be a backup. He's not wired for it, and frankly someone with that good a career shouldn't have to be 42 and a back up in the league. I find it almost impossible that he could come back to 15-20 games with it clearly defined that he will not be the starter at all.

Brodeur is hoping for a 2008 Red Wings Hasek situation. where you have a very solid team that doesn't have a clear answer in nets. Hasek was 43 and he was pretty much done, but there was always hope for him and concern with Wings management with Osgood in nets. Basically, he's hoping to be given a shot to win the net.

That simply can not happen in New Jersey. Marty knows it too. He said as much in a bunch of quotes. Ego and competition and wanting to play took over (pretty much why he wanted to be traded), but since he cares so much about this franchise, he knows that what he wants and what the franchise needs don't align at all. They didn't align last year, and it will be catastrophic this year.

For Brodeur, it has to be an opportunity with another team, or his career is over. 

Edited by devilsrule33

I think we all know Brodeur doesn't want to be a backup. He's not wired for it, and frankly someone with that good a career shouldn't have to be 42 and a back up in the league. I find it almost impossible that he could come back to 15-20 games with it clearly defined that he will not be the starter at all.

Brodeur is hoping for a 2008 Red Wings Hasek situation. where you have a very solid team that doesn't have a clear answer in nets. Hasek was 43 and he was pretty much done, but there was always hope for him and concern with Wings management with Osgood in nets. Basically, he's hoping to be given a shot to win the net.

That simply can not happen in New Jersey. Marty knows it too. He said as much in a bunch of quotes. Ego and competition and wanting to play took over (pretty much why he wanted to be traded), but since he cares so much about this franchise, he knows that what he wants and what the franchise needs don't align at all. They didn't align last year, and it will be catastrophic this year.

For Brodeur, it has to be an opportunity with another team, or his career is over. 

I just don't see where that will be.

Teams with DEFINITE starting goalies right now:  NYR (Lundqvist), NJ (Schneider), Pittsburgh (Fleury), Columbus (Bobrovsky), Boston (Rask), Montreal (Price), Tampa (Bishop), Detroit (Howard), Florida (Luongo), Toronto (Bernier), Chicago (Crawford), Nashville (Rinne), Dallas (Lethonen), Colorado (Varlamov), Phoenix (Smith), San Jose (Niemi), LA (Quick)

So now we've winnowed things down considerably already - that's 17 teams off the list of teams that have a definite #1 guy right now.

Teams that think they have a starter:  Winnipeg (Pavelec), Philadelphia (Mason), Calgary, maybe? (Rammo)

Cross 3 more off, probably - I would include Philadelphia as a place Brodeur might go, but I don't think he'll want to play there.  Now we're at 9 teams left.

Teams with two guys:  Ottawa (Anderson, Lehner), Edmonton (Scrivens, Fasth), Minnesota (Kuemper, Harding, Backstrom), Carolina (Ward, Khudobin), Anaheim (Andersen, Gibson)

Now we're at 5 teams:  Buffalo, the Islanders, Washington, St. Louis, Vancouver.  Buffalo has Neuvirth and Enroth, two young goalies, the Islanders already indicated their interest in Jaro Halak, the Blues have a UFA goalie they paid a lot for, and Vancouver has a young guy they like.

UFA Starting goalies (current team):  Hiller (Anaheim), Halak (NYI), Miller (St. Louis), Nabokov (NYI)

I don't think Nabokov is a starter in the NHL anymore, so throw him off the list.  Still, these 3 guys are going to end up somewhere, so that's 3 more teams off the list.  That leaves 2 teams left for Brodeur to be an ostensible starter on, and that's if he can usurp a guy that's already there (exception to this:  The Islanders).  And he said he wanted to go somewhere he can win and somewhere that's warm.  I could maybe see Anaheim signing him as a veteran guy if they've gone insane, but I think someone like Nabokov or Bryzgalov would be a better fit there - they could have one of the young guys in the NHL playing while the other young guy plays in the AHL, and if one is doing considerably better than the other, they could switch.  I could see Phoenix maybe using him as a backup because why not, but again he'd be a backup.  Unless the goalie UFA market shakes out real weird, like someone ends up going to the KHL or someone ends up hurt for the year in the off-season, I just don't see him landing anywhere where he even has a chance to be a 1A.  

Edited by Triumph
  • Like 1

I just don't see where that will be.

Teams with DEFINITE starting goalies right now:  NYR (Lundqvist), NJ (Schneider), Pittsburgh (Fleury), Columbus (Bobrovsky), Boston (Rask), Montreal (Price), Tampa (Bishop), Detroit (Howard), Florida (Luongo), Toronto (Bernier), Chicago (Crawford), Nashville (Rinne), Dallas (Lethonen), Colorado (Varlamov), Phoenix (Smith), San Jose (Niemi), LA (Quick)

So now we've winnowed things down considerably already - that's 17 teams off the list of teams that have a definite #1 guy right now.

Teams that think they have a starter:  Winnipeg (Pavelec), Philadelphia (Mason), Calgary, maybe? (Rammo)

Cross 3 more off, probably - I would include Philadelphia as a place Brodeur might go, but I don't think he'll want to play there.  Now we're at 9 teams left.

Teams with two guys:  Ottawa (Anderson, Lehner), Edmonton (Scrivens, Fasth), Minnesota (Kuemper, Harding, Backstrom), Carolina (Ward, Khudobin), Anaheim (Andersen, Gibson)

Now we're at 5 teams:  Buffalo, the Islanders, Washington, St. Louis, Vancouver.  Buffalo has Neuvirth and Enroth, two young goalies, the Islanders already indicated their interest in Jaro Halak, the Blues have a UFA goalie they paid a lot for, and Vancouver has a young guy they like.

UFA Starting goalies (current team):  Hiller (Anaheim), Halak (NYI), Miller (St. Louis), Nabokov (NYI)

I don't think Nabokov is a starter in the NHL anymore, so throw him off the list.  Still, these 3 guys are going to end up somewhere, so that's 3 more teams off the list.  That leaves 2 teams left for Brodeur to be an ostensible starter on, and that's if he can usurp a guy that's already there (exception to this:  The Islanders).  And he said he wanted to go somewhere he can win and somewhere that's warm.  I could maybe see Anaheim signing him as a veteran guy if they've gone insane, but I think someone like Nabokov or Bryzgalov would be a better fit there - they could have one of the young guys in the NHL playing while the other young guy plays in the AHL, and if one is doing considerably better than the other, they could switch.  I could see Phoenix maybe using him as a backup because why not, but again he'd be a backup.  Unless the goalie UFA market shakes out real weird, like someone ends up going to the KHL or someone ends up hurt for the year in the off-season, I just don't see him landing anywhere where he even has a chance to be a 1A.  

Perhaps a middle ground is a situation where he doesn't start off as a 1A, but would get a shot if the starter falters.  While there are fewer and fewer of them, there are still enough GMs that value clutchness and might want a guy like Marty who has had playoff success, as compared with goalies like Niemi who have a reputation of choking in the playoffs. 

Carolina might also fit the bill.  I could definitely see Ward being amnestied, and Khudobin is not firmly established enough to say he would otherwise be getting the starts no matter what.