Brodeur

run_to_the_ditch

Serious question here...not trying to be all doom and gloom the day after another first round exit but...

If the Devils cant sign Martin because he is most likely going to want ALOT and I hope they dont fall into that Rolston trance again. Martin is good but I dont think he's 5-6 million good.

So now the D really needs work and technically that would mean REBUILDING.

If you're Lou do you go to Marty and say look, I dont think I can get this thing turned around within the next 2 seasons where the Devils will be like the force they were from 95 - 03. Where do you want to go?

Do you make that move? Do you think Marty would take up an offer like that?

Do you do that with other big names on the team?

I personally feel this team is due for a youth movement...thats how they got to the promise land before and I feel that whats needed now.

Edited by run_to_the_ditch

Martin is far too valuable to lose. He is priority #1 for Lou.

What exactly has Martin given us over the past 3 years? He's supposed to be our best blue-liner, and look where that's gotten us.

He's not the type of player you over-pay, which to me means that he's not worth more than what he's getting now.

Brodeur for Drew Doughty and J. Quick :lol:

All talk about Martin and Kovalchuk is speculation as we don't actually know how much they want. With that said, how much would you be willing to pay for Martin?

Come on, cubanjd ... it's not what they will want, it's what they can get. I don't think it's crazy to think that Martin will get over $5 million and that Kovalchuk will get pretty close to $8 million.

That's a safe bet.

What exactly has Martin given us over the past 3 years? He's supposed to be our best blue-liner, and look where that's gotten us.

He's not the type of player you over-pay, which to me means that he's not worth more than what he's getting now.

Hockey News called him "the best defensmen in the NHL that no one hears" because he plays the NJ system.

He plays that way he is instructed to play, he is +20 the past few years and adds about 30 assists a year, with playing the PP as much as others.

He is smart, solid in our end, great transition player, can skate the puck out of the zone and contributes offensively when it's called for.

I know the ice is always cleaner on the other side of the pond, but what is out there to replace him???

Come on, cubanjd ... it's not what they will want, it's what they can get. I don't think it's crazy to think that Martin will get over $5 million and that Kovalchuk will get pretty close to $8 million.

That's a safe bet.

True, true. There ARE teams that will pay him (Martin) $5M.

At that price, I'd let him walk

Hockey News called him "the best defensmen in the NHL that no one hears" because he plays the NJ system.

He plays that way he is instructed to play, he is +20 the past few years and adds about 30 assists a year, with playing the PP as much as others.

He is smart, solid in our end, great transition player, can skate the puck out of the zone and contributes offensively when it's called for.

I know the ice is always cleaner on the other side of the pond, but what is out there to replace him???

Being a +20 on a good team that hasn't had a GA more than GF in however many years doesn't impress me all that much. Bryce Salvador was a +16. Plus/minus really means something to me when you get into the Scott Stevens range of +40. Nieds was a minus whatever this year. You can't tell me that on a year to year basis (i.e. not taking age/years left into account) Martin is the better defenseman.

Smart, solid, good transition player, maybe, but he's not worth $5 million a year, especially when our cap situation isn't ideal. Bottom line he's a soft defenseman on a team of soft defenseman.

2 words why I wouldnt over pay him to stay...Roger Dorn. ;)

If some other team puts a 5-7 Million dollar offer to Martin well then it's been nice knowing ya Paulie.

They guy showed me nothing.I understand he lost a lot time with the broken forearm and all but he is not worth that kind of money! If he wanted to reward the Devils for there loyalty he would take a 2-3 year deal for less money and prove he's a top pairing defense man.

As far as Marty goes, it seems some Devils fans are quick to throw him under the bus. This guy is still more than capable of taking this team to the promised land.

Being a +20 on a good team that hasn't had a GA more than GF in however many years doesn't impress me all that much. Bryce Salvador was a +16. Plus/minus really means something to me when you get into the Scott Stevens range of +40. Nieds was a minus whatever this year. You can't tell me that on a year to year basis (i.e. not taking age/years left into account) Martin is the better defenseman.

Smart, solid, good transition player, maybe, but he's not worth $5 million a year, especially when our cap situation isn't ideal. Bottom line he's a soft defenseman on a team of soft defenseman.

No, not saying he is better that Stevens, Rafi or Neids, these guys are a level above everyone.

The market for a talent like Martin would be great, since there aren't that many his age and his caliber.

Who do you replace him with if he walks????

Honestly, I don't know. Maybe Corrente can step up. The point is, even if a guy fills a role, he doesn't deserve to get paid like a top-flight defenseman.

Corrente???? Far too limited.

I don't think he will, and I don't think he believes he will. Too me he is worth $5 million per season, but it's Lou's call.

Edited by MantaRay

True, true. There ARE teams that will pay him (Martin) $5M.

At that price, I'd let him walk

Rafalski Part Deux.

I think if the offer is over 5, then the Devs won't match. But I'm sure some team who gets close this year may offer him > 5

i would package langy and martin in a deal with a team for martin's talking rights and langs to go for a top defender.

interesting...