El Diablo

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 11:11 AM

Still waiting for Derek to contribute to this thread.    :evil:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Give him time... plenty of room on the bus.... especially now that he's our mouthpiece... :evil:
Posted Image

- props to Puddy for Stevens banner above -

"Stevens doesn't check a guy's age, his salary, his scoring record or his Hall of Fame credentials when he lines him up. He just hits him. "

"YOURE NEXT" -Scott Stevens

"Where are you from?" Jersey. Where the weak are killed and eaten. •• "Starbuck, what do you hear? ... Nothing but the rain...

"Look for my coming, at first light on the fifth day, at dawn, look to the East"

"I have the libido of a 15-year-old boy. " - Megan Fox

- Proud njdevs keeper of the Boss' Sold Out banner at the CAA -

#62 maets

maets

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 09:28 AM

From Sweden with love.

I got hooked when I was a kid. I can't remember the exact year but it was during the sundstrom brothers era. The equation was, an uncle living in Verona NJ, my interest in swedish players since I'm a swede and the fact that I played hockey my self at that time. I've only seen two live games during all these years, the Flyers in 98 and the Rangers in 2003 but the Devils are always in my heart and will stay there until death do us apart.

One of my strongest Devils memories is from the 95 cup. I stayed at a friends cabin in the middle of nowhere and my brother called me after the fourth game and I remember getting all excited and tears actually came, wow that night I felt as good as ever! At that time one of my cousins worked at a bar in west orange and one night when I was there in the summer of 96 I saw this great Devils banner (the 95 cup) on the wall and she saw my enthusiasm about it and the next day she brought it home for me. I took it back with me to Sweden and had it on the wall for several years but when a girl moved in with me it had to come down, "it's so boyish". I still have it and once in a while I go down to the basement and look at it and then all the great feelings from the cup night 95 comes back to me!

#63 NYGDevils32

NYGDevils32

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 05:17 PM

I became a fan of the Devs because when I went to my first game of my life, I loved it. Then later on I got really into it and I started playing more and more attention. I am now a huge Devils fan from New Jersey and I now know every last thing about the team.

#64 thighway

thighway

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 06:23 PM

Hey Gang! First real post!!!!!! Here we go....

It was early 1983, I was 7, and my father was a Montreal fan. I happened to be up with him one night when Montreal was televised in the Toronto area against New Jersey. Go figure. Me being 7, team called the Devils, and having a cooler logo than a leaf I really like these guys. I mean what more is a 7 year old supposed to judge by, passing skills? I started collecting cards, stickers, newspaper articles featuring my new love, the DEVILS! As time went by, I got to know the names.....Lever, Bridgeman, Driver, then the rookies started coming in......Daneyko, Verbeek, MacLean, Muller. These guys were awesome (at least to a 10 year old)!!!!!!!

I loved these guys through thick, and well mainly thin. Then that glorious night in 1989.....last game of the regular season, New Jersey vs. Chicago. Win and in the playoffs for the first time ever. Lose or tie and it's bye bye. Johnny Mac in the slot, fires the rebound past Pang in OT to send us in......best goal in NJ HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!! I cried as a man (albeit young) for the first time. Then they go to the friggin' conference finals?!?!?! They could have lost 4 straight to Boston and I would have been just as proud! But to get so close. That's it, LOVE!

I admit, 1994 was hard. That terrible goal to send us out in OT of the conference finals. I couldn't believe it. The following season was just about to collapse, when finally they announced deal done, let's play. It was typical NJ, up and down on the season. But in the playoffs, the just seemed determined. I couldn't believe these guys. Peluso on the bench in the final minutes just expressed what each and every one of us fellow NJ Devils hard core fans were feeling. A once in a lifetime feeling. I mean really, a team just might NEVER win a cup EVER, let alone once!

But then, 2000, an offensive machine! 2001 - so close, and I was so sad and angry at the same time, until Borque (as much as I may hate/appreciate him) made me smile. Finally 2003, just the definition of the hard working everyday average person. Getting the job done. I was so proud of these guys.

What else to say. Here I am, with Centre Ice making my wife friggin' crazy with EVERY New Jersey Devils game (haven't missed one it two years, knock on wood) loving this team....glad to be here on this board, and will post comments on the current team in HELL!

Thanks...sorry for rambling, but I have been reading for too long with no posts.

Adam

#65 LüZZo

LüZZo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 11:24 PM

I grew up in Clifton and my family took me to games during the 80s and early 90s when I was a kid. I took skating lessons at the old practice facility (before they turned it into a Rickels or whatever) and encountered many of the players as a young child.

I was seriously hooked in 94 as I came into my teens. Additionally my last name is Peluso, so it was pretty neat to see someone with the same last name playing for a pro team as a kid.

Edited by LüZZo, 01 November 2005 - 11:26 PM.

Posted Image

#66 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 12:13 AM

Give him time... plenty of room on the bus.... especially now that he's our mouthpiece... :evil:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Devil Inside was a classic Inxs song B ).

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#67 kavbro5

kavbro5

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 02:16 PM

Watched a few games with my then boyfriend-now husband but couldn't get into it.  Then in 2000 I watched the finals for him as he was away and couldn't see them.  I learned how to follow the action!  And as I've said before, I got hooked and told my husband not to write them off when they were down.  I loved that I got to rub it in his face after.  "Told ya so, told ya so!!"

Truthfully, it was probably the first time I saw Marty's eyes behind his mask.  :wub:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I chuckle to recall your brothers wedding when you got so po'd at me for going down to the bar to watch the Devils win the cup in "95 and how now I can bring it up and you know why I was so intent on watching.

BTW-

I became a devils fan as a result of watching the Islanders and Caps in the playoffs in the late '80's and Pat LaFontaine scoring the game winner in quadruple OT or whatever and remembering the intensity of that game. After that I was hooked but since I lived in NJ I figured I had to be a Devils fan. Support the home team.
Anyway-GO DEVILS!!!

#68 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,385 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 07:05 PM

Devil Inside was a classic Inxs song B ).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Devils used to come out to that song...I think it was the '91-'92 season.

I remember in '93-'94 they came out to...Hold on Loosely. YIKES.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#69 emptynet

emptynet

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 11:13 AM

The fact that they were a NJ team with a NJ name. I like the Giants but it still pi$$es me off to no end that they are still considered the NY Giants.

I've always loved hockey, so rooting for the hometown team was easy even if they did stink at first. It was still New Jersey's team.
"He tried to run him into next week and only got a day and a half..." Doc Emeric

I think I need to go home and lie down... nothing makes sense any more. - MDDEVSFAN

Official Keeper of the Devils locker room

#70 devil_in_ottawa

devil_in_ottawa

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 07:27 PM

:evil:

What an interseting question - how did we become Devils fans? Well, let me give you some background and then I'll tell you a funny story. I was born and raised in Ottawa, and grew up, and still am, a Montreal fan. I'm one of those women who can actually follow the game. I've always had a lot respect for Martin Brodeur - being from Quebec himself - and that got me far in 2003.

I used to be married to a man who worked in an Italian restaurant. All of the Italian men would get together for a playoff hockey pool and in 2003, they were missing a few people. Since I was the hockey fan in my household, I was asked if I wanted in. Of course, they made it very plain that they were willing to "take" my money, since I didn't have a chance of winning - being a woman of course.

When the time came to pick my players - guess who I relied heavily on. I'd been following the Devils all season, and just knew that they were going all the way. So as I picked more and more Devils, the laughing from the men in the pool grew louder and louder. But I guess I got the last laugh, I won the pool, and the next year they refused to let me play with them. So I started my own - went again heavy on the Jersey players - with Brodeur of course, and still won in 2004.

I don't know what made me stay so involved with following the team - I can look out my window at home and see the Corel Centre, where the Senators play - but I'd die before I support them. The Devils just seem to have a heart that's missing in most teams - even with the roster changes this year - they are a joy to watch.

My only complaint is that they don't come to Ottawa very often but thankfully - my seats for those games are second row - right behind Brodeur. Watch for me decked out in my jersey and Devil horns. I'm hard to miss - some even think I've travelled to watch the games - but Ottawa is my hometown - but Jersey is where my heart is.

Looking forward to March 28 - an maybe another wink from our Goalie.

Go Devils Go!!!

#71 Masked Fan

Masked Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,098 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 08:01 PM

Well played D i O! :evil: Keep up the road support!
I'm the nutjob you might see at the Wachovia when the Devs come down the Tpk to spank Philly.

I grew up in a Northern NJ town and played hockey on a frozen pond whenever my brother would let me go with him. I enjoyed the game but had no home team to cheer. :saddevil: I was cemented in my ANTI-NY way of life in every other sport, ie Cowboys, Patriots, Tigers, Nets. So, :noclue: there was NO WAY I was going to call a NY team "mine". So, when the Rockies came to NJ it was the match I had been waiting for! :boogie:

Been supporting the team ever since!!

LETS GO DEVILS!!!!! :clap:

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is!
Posted Image
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Posted Image
2009 Chico

#72 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 08:26 PM

My only complaint is that they don't come to Ottawa very often but  thankfully - my seats for those games are second row - right behind Brodeur.  Watch for me decked out in my jersey and Devil horns.  I'm hard to miss - some even think I've  travelled to watch the games - but Ottawa is my hometown - but Jersey is where my heart is. 

What the *#$%@?!!?!

We're soon going to outnumber the fans in New Jersey. We'll relocate the Devils Fan Club to Sparks Street. :)

I don't think I contributed to this thread yet. If I did, too bad.

Grade 8. My Dad offered me $100 if I got 80 or above in all my courses. I figured that would be easy given that I was always getting grades in the 90s. Then I hit "Life Skills", a mix of sewing, cooking, woodworking and drafting. I got a 70 in sewing, 70 in cooking and 90 in woodworking... so I needed a good grade in drafting class. The main project was to make two or three silk-screened T-shirt and all the guys were doing NHL team logos. So, since I needed a real good grade, I picked the team that had the easiest logo to draw. And that's how I became a Devils fan.

I came *THIS* close to being a Hartford Whalers fan. :)
"Lock'n'Load!" - Denny Crane
"Denny Crane!" - Denny Crane
"Trix are for kids!" - Denny Crane
"I hate cling-ons!" - Denny Crane

#73 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 09:37 PM

devil-in-ottawa, how much money did you win in that pool?

Don, I'd love to hear the story about the Whalers.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#74 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,213 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 09:47 PM

Well from reading his post I just figured the Whalers were the second easiest logo to draw for him.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#75 devil_in_ottawa

devil_in_ottawa

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 10:25 PM

Not enough to retire on - but better $450 in my pocket then theirs. Bumped it to $600 the next year and who knows this year - want in?
:boogie:

#76 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,615 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 10:52 PM

Well from reading his post I just figured the Whalers were the second easiest logo to draw for him.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You would be correct... Don's story is much better told in Don Cherry's while i'm cursing at Parcells in the background :D
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#77 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,615 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 10:53 PM

Not enough to retire on - but better $450 in my pocket then theirs.  Bumped it to $600 the next year and who knows this year - want in?
:boogie:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Shame you didn't join the board a few weeks ago... we coulda searched you out when I was up there... you coulda scored some free Molsons too !! B )
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#78 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 06:58 AM

Exactly. :)

Obviously, that's a reason why you pick a team when you are 13. Sorta like I hoped for the Blue Jays and the Dolphins because sky blue is my favorite colour. The reasons I stayed a Devils fan were due to the other factors others have mentioned - heart, a belief in team over individuality, shown they can win against all odds (TWICE no less - 1995 vs Detroit, 2003 vs Ottawa).

Now I have no choice to stay a Devils fan purely out of financial reasons. I have $1,000 worth of Devils gear around the house and it would just be way too expensive to switch allegiences now. :P :D

Edited by Don, 29 November 2005 - 07:13 AM.

"Lock'n'Load!" - Denny Crane
"Denny Crane!" - Denny Crane
"Trix are for kids!" - Denny Crane
"I hate cling-ons!" - Denny Crane

#79 IAmCanadian27

IAmCanadian27

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 07:07 AM

Now I have no choice to stay a Devils fan purely out of financial reasons. I have $1,000 worth of Devils gear around the house and it would just way too expensive to switch allegiences now. :P :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL, me too. Two summers ago I convinced my parents to let me re-decorate my bedroom to a Devils theme, so after that I don't think it would go over well with my parents if my interest in the Devils waned even the slightest bit. :D
"He's got hockey strength, and he's one of those naturals. He's kind of a coach's dream. With some guys you have to keep repeating. With Paul, you point out something once and he picks it up."- Larry Robinson on Paul Martin

Proud NJDevs Co-Keeper of Scott Niedermayer & Keeper of Paul Martin

#80 El Diablo

El Diablo

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 05:08 PM

:dizzy:
Posted Image

- props to Puddy for Stevens banner above -

"Stevens doesn't check a guy's age, his salary, his scoring record or his Hall of Fame credentials when he lines him up. He just hits him. "

"YOURE NEXT" -Scott Stevens

"Where are you from?" Jersey. Where the weak are killed and eaten. •• "Starbuck, what do you hear? ... Nothing but the rain...

"Look for my coming, at first light on the fifth day, at dawn, look to the East"

"I have the libido of a 15-year-old boy. " - Megan Fox

- Proud njdevs keeper of the Boss' Sold Out banner at the CAA -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users