RUMOR: Callahan to be traded as per Boomer Esiason

Mike Brown

lol what you were the one who brought up jagr's name in a thread about Callahan. How is that not a comparison? If you didn't mean to that's fine but don't be surprised or offended when I take it that way and try to have a conversation about it. Sheesh.

I brought it up cause thats what the discussion i was referring to was about, it was not my discussion. Some people arguing with Brown wtv about it.

sather spoke with Callahan and realized that he is almost certainly too pricey for the rangers next season. If Callahan gets traded, it's because he 100% won't be re-signing. When Lou kept zach, that offseason he made him a competitive offer that might very well have kept him here if not for suter. I don't see the comparison here at all.

Lou had zero chance to re-sign Parise. The NHL was floating this team and was not gonna allow them to sign him for market value, especually upfront cash. It amazes me how few realize how bad this team was financially. Factor in his Dad, wife, Suter, franchise instability, and so on...how could Lou possibly convince him to stay?

I wonder if Ryan being over in Sochi abd talking to guys like Dustin Brown who is getting the term and money Ryan wants is a factor in his demands.

Edited by hystyk28

Lou had zero chance to re-sign Parise. The NHL was floating this team and was not gonna allow them to sign him for market value, especually upfront cash. It amazes me how few realize how bad this team was financially. Factor in his Dad, wife, Suter, franchise instability, and so on...how could Lou possibly convince him to stay?

I wonder if Ryan being over in Sochi abd talking to guys like Dustin Brown who is getting the term and money Ryan wants is a factor in his demands.

I doubt it. One, I'm sure the Olympics were all those guys were focusing on over there, and two, wasn't Callahan wanting around 7 per before Sochi anyway?

everything you just said other than financials is with 20/20 hindsight. At the time it was clear that yes we did have a shot. The offer we gave him by all accounts was competitive, but the money being equal he chose home and suter.

On my phone so it's tough to link but on TG's blog zach said himself the money wasn't what decided it. During the season not one person ever mentioned the suter factor, that only became evident after the cup final. Anyway this is about Callahan and like I said his situation IMO is very different so I'll digress...

everything you just said other than financials is with 20/20 hindsight. At the time it was clear that yes we did have a shot. The offer we gave him by all accounts was competitive, but the money being equal he chose home and suter.

On my phone so it's tough to link but on TG's blog zach said himself the money wasn't what decided it. During the season not one person ever mentioned the suter factor, that only became evident after the cup final. Anyway this is about Callahan and like I said his situation IMO is very different so I'll digress...

have you ever heard an athlete say 'yeah, it was the money?'  Parise made $23.1 million in the first 2 years in Minnesota - there is no way NJ could've offered him something like that.  I bet he would've made something like $12 million, because NJ was not going to ensure anyone's contract against the lockout, and they couldn't front-load a contract either.

Edited by Triumph

have you ever heard an athlete say 'yeah, it was the money?' Parise made $23.1 million in the first 2 years in Minnesota - there is no way NJ could've offered him something like that. I bet he would've made something like $12 million, because NJ was not going to ensure anyone's contract against the lockout, and they couldn't front-load a contract either.

this discussion is not about anything that happened after the trade deadline, it's about what happened in season during 2012 and whether or not Lou thought he could be re-signed. I have yet to hear a piece of convincing evidence that says Lou knew for sure that parise was going to walk, which differs from sather who knows right now he's not going to meet callahan's demands.

No I don't think we offered him near that amount, I believe he report was closer to 70 million... But I could just as easily use the money to argue that we definitely were in on resigning him by saying it took 13/98 (and an additional 13/98 for suter)- a ridiculous overpayment- for him to leave.