Young QMJHL prospect died during practice today

SterioDesign

Thats horrible, probably not in the news everywhere year but its local for me so i got the news.

So Jordan Boyd, 16 years old was practicing with the Titans in Acadie-Bathurst, i guess he collapsed on the ice and was rushed to the hospital but he died when he got there. Made all medical tests before camp and he was cleared with no problems at all.

so many bad news lately around here, on top of that 2 little kids got killed in Campbelton by a 12 feet, 100lbs python who escaped from his cage and made his way through the ventilation and fell in the room those 2 kids we're sleeping in. Simply horrible a real nightmare

Thats horrible, probably not in the news everywhere year but its local for me so i got the news.

So Jordan Boyd, 16 years old was practicing with the Titans in Acadie-Bathurst, i guess he collapsed on the ice and was rushed to the hospital but he died when he got there. Made all medical tests before camp and he was cleared with no problems at all.

so many bad news lately around here, on top of that 2 little kids got killed in Campbelton by a 12 feet, 100lbs python who escaped from his cage and made his way through the ventilation and fell in the room those 2 kids we're sleeping in. Simply horrible a real nightmare

Do they have any idea why Boyd collapsed? Or was it just out of the blue?

On the snake story, it's unbelievably sad. I know the owner probably isn't a bad guy, but I hope he is punished harshly enough so other reptile owner's or potential owner's understand that the responsibility lies with them to take precaution against all potential dangers. I mean, it really applies to all pets, but especially so when you're pet can kill humans. I don't know Canadian law, but I'm sure there's some equivalent to involuntary manslaughter there and I hope that's the punishment they pursue for this person.

Do they have any idea why Boyd collapsed? Or was it just out of the blue?

On the snake story, it's unbelievably sad. I know the owner probably isn't a bad guy, but I hope he is punished harshly enough so other reptile owner's or potential owner's understand that the responsibility lies with them to take precaution against all potential dangers. I mean, it really applies to all pets, but especially so when you're pet can kill humans. I don't know Canadian law, but I'm sure there's some equivalent to involuntary manslaughter there and I hope that's the punishment they pursue for this person.

Well its kinda fvcked cause there's a law in Canada that you couldnt have that kind of snake in captivity BUT that snake was given to this guy (who was a snake & reptiles store owner) cause the snake was dropped at the SPCA in like 2003 and the government asked him if he could take it off the SPCA's hands. He had a bunch of illegal animals in there though, they all got deported to some zoos or they've been put down in the last few days following that tragedy

Well its kinda fvcked cause there's a law in Canada that you couldnt have that kind of snake in captivity BUT that snake was given to this guy (who was a snake & reptiles store owner) cause the snake was dropped at the SPCA in like 2003 and the government asked him if he could take it off the SPCA's hands. He had a bunch of illegal animals in there though, they all got deported to some zoos or they've been put down in the last few days following that tragedy

That's crazy. I really hope this guy gets a decent prison sentence. People need to realize some animals are not meant to be confined as pets. Between the harm to the animal, the consequences of irresponsible pet owners releasing them into the wild and in this particular case, the death of two kids, it's awful all around.

That's crazy. I really hope this guy gets a decent prison sentence. People need to realize some animals are not meant to be confined as pets. Between the harm to the animal, the consequences of irresponsible pet owners releasing them into the wild and in this particular case, the death of two kids, it's awful all around.

its obviously aweful but i dont agree. Those 2 boys we're having a sleepover with the dude's son, they went to his farm and had a great day and he really loved those kids. In the morning he found them dead, it was obviously the worst day of his life and a real life nightmare. I get what you're saying but what this guy will have to live with for the rest of his life is worst than jail. It was a freak accident, a kid can drown in a pool or get his face ripped off by a dog out of the blues. sh!t happen.

i know it might just be some "cultural difference of opinion" i dont know if us canadians are more forgiven but nature of what lol but its pretty well known and supported that americans are a lot more trigger happy on suing and punishing offenders. Not too sure which one is best but i still think that guy shouldnt go in jail, his life will be a nightmare until the day he die already

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

its obviously awefule but i dont agree. Those 2 boys we're having a sleepover with the dude's son, they went to his farm and had a great day and he really loved those kids. In the morning he found them dead, it was obviously the worst day of his life and a real life nightmare. I get what you're saying but what this guy will have to live with for the rest of his life is worst than jail. It was a freak accident, a kid can drown in a pool or get his face ripped off by a dog out of the blues. sh!t happen.

i know it might just be some "cultural difference of opinion" i dont know if us canadians are more forgiven but nature of what lol but its pretty well known and supported that americans are a lot more trigger happy on suing and punishing offenders. Not too sure which one is best but i still think that guy shouldnt go in jail, his life will be a nightmare until the day he die already

I agree, I honestly would be besides myself if I was in his shoes, it will haunt him for the rest of his life, no doubt

I agree SD, this poor dude is gonna be just a mess the rest of his life. That is by far punishment enough. I can't imagine how horrible he feels, and I feel horrible for him. I know I'd probably be damn near suicidal if I was responsible for something like that. My sincerest thoughts and prayers are with him and the families of those kids, as well as the young prospect who passed. Both are just awful stories.

its obviously aweful but i dont agree. Those 2 boys we're having a sleepover with the dude's son, they went to his farm and had a great day and he really loved those kids. In the morning he found them dead, it was obviously the worst day of his life and a real life nightmare. I get what you're saying but what this guy will have to live with for the rest of his life is worst than jail. It was a freak accident, a kid can drown in a pool or get his face ripped off by a dog out of the blues. sh!t happen.

I'm without a doubt, 100% not on the side of punish more, put more people in prison. Not at all, but I don't care if it was the guy's own son, he negligently allowed his snake to escape and kill those two kids. Not only that, you say he had other illegal animals. I'm not saying he needs a 25 year murder sentence, but I think something in the neighborhood of 5-7 years would be enough to send the message that you can't be a negligent pet owner and not suffer the consequences. Something similar to what you might see for a drunk driver would be enough for me.

Those two kids are dead and he is the reason why. I don't see how you can look at this and say he doesn't deserve a prison sentence. Just because it must suck already for him? Too bad, if he didn't want it to be a sh!tty situation, take better care of the pet and the people in his care.

This is exactly the same as someone texting while driving and killing somebody. Exactly the same type of situation. No intent, but the ability was there and the man was negligent in his care for the animal, which caused the deaths, just like if I killed a pedestrian because I was negligent in my driving while texting. Should I be exempt from the law because I feel bad about killing that pedestrian? Or if I had hit a tree instead and killed my passenger?

I'm without a doubt, 100% not on the side of punish more, put more people in prison. Not at all, but I don't care if it was the guy's own son, he negligently allowed his snake to escape and kill those two kids. Not only that, you say he had other illegal animals. I'm not saying he needs a 25 year murder sentence, but I think something in the neighborhood of 5-7 years would be enough to send the message that you can't be a negligent pet owner and not suffer the consequences. Something similar to what you might see for a drunk driver would be enough for me.

Those two kids are dead and he is the reason why. I don't see how you can look at this and say he doesn't deserve a prison sentence. Just because it must suck already for him? Too bad, if he didn't want it to be a sh!tty situation, take better care of the pet and the people in his care.

This is exactly the same as someone texting while driving and killing somebody. Exactly the same type of situation. No intent, but the ability was there and the man was negligent in his care for the animal, which caused the deaths, just like if I killed a pedestrian because I was negligent in my driving while texting. Should I be exempt from the law because I feel bad about killing that pedestrian? Or if I had hit a tree instead and killed my passenger?

the dude had a kid and since he got his kid all his cage got double locks and we're verified, the cops are still investigating and everyone is clueless how it happened, even the snake (that experts keep on saying they simply dont understand cause those snakes usually dont attack like that and especially not just killing for fun one kid after the other, if they kill they kill one beast and eat it, they do not just kill and leave it there, its very strange).

you can also see it has a guy who left his pool uncovered and the kids fell and drowned... of course you can say that he should have covered it and everything but the guy had no control on the actions that happened, its still unclear how the snake got out, snakes usually doesnt leave their habitation. Its very sketchy theres a lot of "this never happen usually" piled up together in this case.

and what good would come out of him serving 5-7 years? would he learn anything from it? or would the society be protected now that he's not free? There's no point, thats why you put people in jail, to protect the people and to punish and make sure it doesnt happen again. Of course you can go the "it will show others not to do it" way but i still think its useless. 

you can be sure that with those 2 boys dying anyone who had a big snake checked their cage already to make sure it was secure. No one is telling himself, oh well he dude didnt get anything so why bother, if my snake escape and kill someone i wont go in jail. cmon now

Edited by SterioDesign

the dude had a kid and since he got his kid all his cage got double locks and we're verified, the cops are still investigating and everyone is clueless how it happened, even the snake (that experts keep on saying they simply dont understand cause those snakes usually dont attack like that and especially not just killing for fun one kid after the other, if they kill they kill one beast and eat it, they do not just kill and leave it there, its very strange).

you can also see it has a guy who left his pool uncovered and the kids fell and drowned... of course you can say that he should have covered it and everything but the guy had no control on the actions that happened, its still unclear how the snake got out, snakes usually doesnt leave their habitation. Its very sketchy theres a lot of "this never happen usually" piled up together in this case.

and what good would come out of him serving 5-7 years? would he learn anything from it? or would the society be protected now that he's not free? There's no point, thats why you put people in jail, to protect the people and to punish and make sure it doesnt happen again. Of course you can go the "it will show others not to do it" way but i still think its useless. 

you can be sure that with those 2 boys dying anyone who had a big snake checked their cage already to make sure it was secure. No one is telling himself, oh well he dude didnt get anything so why bother, if my snake escape and kill someone i wont go in jail. cmon now

Tell that to Florida: The land of invasive species. I'm sure no one has ever had a snake escape there..... I just don't see how negligence can go unpunished in this case when negligence leading to death in any other case would result in prison time. That's just inconsistent.

Here's a case of it happening: http://news.sky.com/story/706541/pet-python-strangles-sleeping-child-in-bed

Tell that to Florida: The land of invasive species. I'm sure no one has ever had a snake escape there..... I just don't see how negligence can go unpunished in this case when negligence leading to death in any other case would result in prison time. That's just inconsistent.

Here's a case of it happening: http://news.sky.com/story/706541/pet-python-strangles-sleeping-child-in-bed

Yeah well its not as if the system is flawless, you can't just take it as an example when it works in the favour of what you're debating. 

dogs killed a lot of kids and babies too. It's a terrible accident to me. I simply don't see how putting that guy in prison would help anyone or anything, tell me what it would do to put him in prison? Dont say thats whats happening usually cause the system works that way. It's NOT like drunk driving or anything. But again im not Americans where it seems you cough in someone's face and you're getting sued. I've read some damn ridiculous cases.

Edited by SterioDesign

Yeah well its not as if the system is flawless, you can't just take it as an example when it works in the favour of what you're debating. 

dogs killed a lot of kids and babies too. It's a terrible accident to me. I simply don't see how putting that guy in prison would help anyone or anything, tell me what it would do to put him in prison? Dont say thats whats happening usually cause the system works that way. It's NOT like drunk driving or anything. But again im not Americans where it seems you cough in someone's face and you're getting sued. I've read some damn ridiculous cases.

I think the same thing about dogs. If an owner has a dog that attacks someone, depending on the severity of the injuries caused, they should be punished. The dog should not have to be put down, the owner should be treated as if they were the one inflicting the harm. Your pet is an extension of you. Your pet does something bad, you did something bad, that's my thought on it.

Now, if the case is that the enclosure he had for this thing had a manufacturing defect or flaw that allowed the escape, that's different, but if it's due to negligence, I don't see how this is different than a drunk driving accident.

I think the same thing about dogs. If an owner has a dog that attacks someone, depending on the severity of the injuries caused, they should be punished. The dog should not have to be put down, the owner should be treated as if they were the one inflicting the harm. Your pet is an extension of you. Your pet does something bad, you did something bad, that's my thought on it.

Now, if the case is that the enclosure he had for this thing had a manufacturing defect or flaw that allowed the escape, that's different, but if it's due to negligence, I don't see how this is different than a drunk driving accident.

im pretty sure something went wrong, the guy had his apartment upstairs from his pet store and he was taking good care of his animals and like i said when he got a kid he got all cages double locks to make sure it was all secured. The snake got out through the roof somehow and got in the ventilations and the roof collapsed under the weight of the snake and he fell in the living room where the 2 kids we're sleeping. 

I mean... what we're the chances that all of that happen the one night that those kids had a sleepover... on a Sunday night cause it was New-Brunswick day on monday so everything was closed so the parents got together for the day and the kids stayed there, they left after midnight. I mean... everything that could have went wrong did. Its awful.

and more on what you said... sorry but thats REALLY pushing about the extension thing... you can only do so much everything has a mind of his own. Thats like saying anyone committing murder should see their parents go to jail too, every hockey player getting a suspension should see the coach getting one too.

Edited by SterioDesign

I understand the idea of being responsible, but that is really going overboard.

"The owner should be treated as if they were the one inflicting the harm."  If a person attacked and bit someone, I'm pretty sure that would be considered assault. Essentially, every time someone gets bit by a dog, you think the owner should be charged with assault?

I understand the idea of being responsible, but that is really going overboard.

"The owner should be treated as if they were the one inflicting the harm."  If a person attacked and bit someone, I'm pretty sure that would be considered assault. Essentially, every time someone gets bit by a dog, you think the owner should be charged with assault?

That would be battery, not assault and you'd have to prove intent, which would be difficult.

I think that should be treated the same as if someone was injured on your property. You should be forced to pay for any and all damages. Same as if the shed I built fell and broke the neighbor's leg because I didn't build it properly.

For more serious injuries, it should be treated like pedestrian accidents on the road. If no intent was there or if one wasn't grossly negligent, then civil court should handle the case. If the situation was caused by negligence, whether through lacking equipment necessary to contain the animal, care given to it, training, etc, the owner should be treated like a negligent driver. Similar to a death/injuries caused by a distracted driver.

I assume it's extremely rare when a person intentionally tries to harm another via their pet, but that should be treated like a murder case.

Afterwards, the animal should then be taken to a facility to decide if it can be re-trained and cared for properly by another owner via adoption. If not, unfortunately, the best thing to do is euthanize the animal.

Laws would probably have to be re-written to make this work well, but I hope I got my point across with the comparisons to existing law.

Edited by ATLL765

From what I heard of the story, the snake escaped from a nearby pet store; had no affiliation with the guy or the two boys either

From what I heard of the story, the snake escaped from a nearby pet store; had no affiliation with the guy or the two boys either

no the snake was in that apartment (which was located on top of the pet store) but the owner of the apartment was the owner of the store.

but now the case is investigated as a murder. This is crazy.

http://www.fox.com.au/fox-news-feed/2013/8/snake-deaths-now-a-murder-investigation/

That would be battery, not assault and you'd have to prove intent, which would be difficult.

I think that should be treated the same as if someone was injured on your property. You should be forced to pay for any and all damages. Same as if the shed I built fell and broke the neighbor's leg because I didn't build it properly.

For more serious injuries, it should be treated like pedestrian accidents on the road. If no intent was there or if one wasn't grossly negligent, then civil court should handle the case. If the situation was caused by negligence, whether through lacking equipment necessary to contain the animal, care given to it, training, etc, the owner should be treated like a negligent driver. Similar to a death/injuries caused by a distracted driver.

I assume it's extremely rare when a person intentionally tries to harm another via their pet, but that should be treated like a murder case.

Afterwards, the animal should then be taken to a facility to decide if it can be re-trained and cared for properly by another owner via adoption. If not, unfortunately, the best thing to do is euthanize the animal.

Laws would probably have to be re-written to make this work well, but I hope I got my point across with the comparisons to existing law.

You seem to have a decent grasp on pet law...let's say you and I go toe-to-toe on bird law and see who comes out the victor?