GDT 3/19/13: NY Rags @ Devils

NJDEVS1730

Again, you are making the mistake of thinking Lou was looking to replace everything lost with Zach in one offseason (or that he should've been able to), and some of this season.  Like I pointed out, Lou himself pretty much pointed out that such a thing was not going to be possible.  Step 1 was probably hoping the team could pick up some of the slack by committee.  I think other steps will come, but it's not going to be an overnight, quick-fix thing.       

Like Tri said somewhere, this team as currently constructed is a low-event, low-scoring kind of team that can win (see Brent Sutter's first season), but has a pretty low margin for error.  Not picking on Hedberg, but it was going to be very hard for the Devils to overcome a goalie putting up an .886 save% in 17 GP, especially one not equipped enough to overcome too many mistakes from anyone.  Hedberg has an .862 save% and 3.36 GAA in his 9 losses (0-6-3).  Bad numbers to be sure, but with some better support he wins two or three of those games (in four of the losses, he allowed 2 goals or less). 

The Devils are going to need something more in the .910-.915 range most nights as far as save% goes, and even that is probably a little low, but Brodeur at best is probably a .910 guy at this point in his career.  If the Devils get .905-.912 play the rest of the season from a Brodeur/Hedberg tandem, that's likely the best we should hope for.   

again it's not about replacing zach, players like that doesnt grow on trees and we dont have the assets to get something like that anyway. 

But tell me Lou couldnt find a better players than Gionta, Butler or wtv to fill for him? or fill for the 2nd wave guy who's now on the first wave taking zach spot. Now our 2nd wave or PP and PK is really but really not great, thank the lord Kovy can play the whole 2 min

The Devils next starting goalie will be fine if he is graded on the Brodeur of the last three years and next year curve.

.906 save% since the '10-'11 season.  He is still a terrific puck-handler, but .906 won't be that hard to replace, for what that number's worth. 

again it's not about replacing zach, players like that doesnt grow on trees and we dont have the assets to get something like that anyway. 

But tell me Lou couldnt find a better players than Gionta, Butler or wtv to fill for him? or fill for the 2nd wave guy who's now on the first wave taking zach spot. Now our 2nd wave or PP and PK is really but really not great, thank the lord Kovy can play the whole 2 min

Which players?  At what cost?  It's easy to say Lou should've or could've done this or that. 

.906 save% since the '10-'11 season.  He is still a terrific puck-handler, but .906 won't be that hard to replace, for what that number's worth. 

Which players?  At what cost?  It's easy to say Lou should've or could've done this or that. 

seriously? i was one of the only one defending Gionta while everyone was saying he was not an NHL player... and now that i say that we should have been able to find a better player well thats unrealistic or too expensive? 

The guy I killed him for not keeping was Ponikarovsky, who's back anyway.

Our 2nd unit PP sucked last year too but let's not let that get in the way of a good narrative.

so we have to set our standards on our bad PP from last year to try to at least reach back that level with less personnel ?

so we have to set our standards on our bad PP from last year to try to at least reach back that level with less personnel ?

Just keep flailing away, eventually you'll hit on a coherent point.

The 2nd unit is doing better recently.  Loktionov is the forward that unit needed.  Butler was a disaster.  Other than that, there's been far too little time to really decide who's better or worse.

The Devils next starting goalie will be fine if he is graded on the Brodeur of the last three years and next year curve.

I mean the overall Brodeur curve. Even Brodeur hasn't lived up to it the last few years. He was torn to shreds here almost nightly for anything that got by him until they beat Florida in Game 7. People were calling for Moose that series.

I mean the overall Brodeur curve. Even Brodeur hasn't lived up to it the last few years. He was torn to shreds here almost nightly for anything that got by him until they beat Florida in Game 7. People were calling for Moose that series.

In fairness, I remember ben00rs calling for Moose to start every fourth game or so...we debated that point, only because I thought it would be tricky to try to figure out when the "right" time for Moose to get a start might be. 

What I've noticed w/Brodeur and the fans in recent seasons is that some fans are very quick to throw out the "s" word (softie) in reference to seemingly every goal Marty gives up. 

Were they that wrong?  NJ brutalized Florida - the only reason it went 7 was Brodeur's poor play.  I don't remember anyone saying 'start Vanbiesbrouck' in 2001 - even though Brodeur was playing horrible all throughout that playoff.  I think fans recognize that Brodeur's time is coming to an end - I don't think they're expecting too much of their goalie when they want to see a backup play when the starter isn't doing well.  You're looking at it like 'Well, if Brodeur won't satisfy them, nothing will!' - but Brodeur hasn't been Brodeur for a very long time now.

Also, for everyone ragging on Lou, no one knows what he tried to do. Just because nothing happened doesn't mean he didn't look to sign Semin or call 20 GMs seeing if a scorer was available. The Parise signing not happening till July 3rd forced him to miss a few players. You don't badly overpay either to fix an issue. There is enough talent on this team to get a good amount of goals. It's a slump, but this just as easily could have happened with Parise.

As for Hedberg, he made a mistake tonight, but  he also made 3 ridiculous saves. He wasn't the reason they lost.

lou never came close to offering any type of contract to semin. none.

Our captain also is as useful as pissing into the wind.

We're missing a leader who plays with heart. I'm sick of watching this team get pushed around, bad calls being made, and the only person who protests is the offending player or Kovalchuk.

I don't remember the game or who got leveled, want to say Carter vs Ottawa, but it happened right in front of Captain Useless and he only reacted after Zids went to defend his teammate.

Sure, he's not the ONLY problem, but attitude reflects leadership and currently, our leadership is downright pathetic.

i am as down on sal as anyone. i thought his re-signing was a terrible idea even if he kept the magic from rounds 2 and 3 of last year's playoffs. it just wasn't necessary and leads to many more issues wrt/ asset management. but enough with this "he's a bad captain" bullsh!t. The C is the ultimate excuse for anything - give the C to that guy and the team will be better. take it away from this guy because he's not a leader or he can't handle the pressure. it's such utter bullsh!t.

even with langenbrunner who was cancerous at the end of his reign didn't affect that much his last year. sure it wasn't a great room but that had more to do with the position that lou put the team in than it did how langenbrunner reacted to it (and got his buddies to).

Were they that wrong?  NJ brutalized Florida - the only reason it went 7 was Brodeur's poor play.  I don't remember anyone saying 'start Vanbiesbrouck' in 2001 - even though Brodeur was playing horrible all throughout that playoff.  I think fans recognize that Brodeur's time is coming to an end - I don't think they're expecting too much of their goalie when they want to see a backup play when the starter isn't doing well.  You're looking at it like 'Well, if Brodeur won't satisfy them, nothing will!' - but Brodeur hasn't been Brodeur for a very long time now.

I don't think this is really fair.  I know he had that meltdown against Carolina, but he stole a few games in that series.  In 2010, NJ got outplayed by Philly and you can't really blame Marty there.  In 2011, he was battling injuries and had to deal with a terrible defense the first half, then picked it up January onwards. Last year, he was average. But in the final three rounds he was very good. I think him increasing his pad size helped down the stretch and in the playoffs. 

You have to take into account his SV% should also be .03-.05 higher

lou never came close to offering any type of contract to semin. none.

i am as down on sal as anyone. i thought his re-signing was a terrible idea even if he kept the magic from rounds 2 and 3 of last year's playoffs. it just wasn't necessary and leads to many more issues wrt/ asset management. but enough with this "he's a bad captain" bullsh!t. The C is the ultimate excuse for anything - give the C to that guy and the team will be better. take it away from this guy because he's not a leader or he can't handle the pressure. it's such utter bullsh!t.

even with langenbrunner who was cancerous at the end of his reign didn't affect that much his last year. sure it wasn't a great room but that had more to do with the position that lou put the team in than it did how langenbrunner reacted to it (and got his buddies to).

Well there you go. Can't say I blame him after everything that was said out of Washington. But, I was hoping he'd take a look.

As you might know, I'm in agreement about the captaincy. It means sh!t all, and no one in the locker room is looking at Sal for their cues. There is a strong leadership group here, and that's all you can ask. The only issue with the Salvador captaincy is that he won't be scratched. I'm feeling better about the signing because for the longest time, I thought it was a 4-year deal. Feel a lot better now remembering he signed for 3. 

Edited by devilsrule33

Well there you go. Can't say I blame him after everything that was said out of Washington. But, I was hoping he'd take a look.

As you might know, I'm in agreement about the captaincy. It means sh!t all, and no one in the locker room is looking at Sal for their cues. There is a strong leadership group here, and that's all you can ask. The only issue with the Salvador captaincy is that he won't be scratched. I'm feeling better about the signing because for the longest time, I thought it was a 4-year deal. Feel a lot better now remembering he signed for 3. 

re: semin - i am terribly disappointed he didn't give it a shot. i'm fairly confident he would've signed the same show me deal with NJ. and the russians on the team should've been enough for lou to trust they'd keep him in line. it's possible lou did not want to put that much "russian" into the team but that's a total guess.

as for you feeling better because it's a 3 year deal instead of 4 on sal, that's like saying "I love Barch" because he's not Eric Boulton.