2012-13 Prospect Thread

thefiestygoat

BCHL is a cut below all the other leagues.

For example, look at Zajac's final year in it before going to US College.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=69006

You can look at the BCHL on hockeydb.com to see they don't have a lot of draftable talent in that league from year to yet.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/top_league.php?lid=bchl2001&sid=2012&leaguenm=BCHL

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/top_league.php?lid=bchl2001&sid=2011&leaguenm=BCHL

Kerfoot's numbers are ok, considering the league he is in, but he was a 5th round pick so it isn't a surprise he isn't a guy that is going to look like a huge prospect. Since the BCHL lacks the higher end talent I think it becomes hard to look at numbers and evaluate how well a guy is doing, it will be a lot easier to do that when he is at Harvard next year.

Kerfoot was a 5th round NHL pick and a 12th round WHL pick and his production hasn't improved from last year to this year in a lesser league. It sounds like he has some good tools by what people say, but he has a long road to go to even start looking like a NHL prospect, to me.

I feel like the difference in the junior leagues is exaggerated. It's not like there aren't plenty of physical players who've come out of the Q or fast guys who've come out of the WHL.

Mantzas: by NHL equivalencies and assuming the same rates of scoring, Black would have 20 points, Matteau 22 over 82 game seasons. Both guys are goal heavy though which I like.

The Dub is typically the more defensively geared league of the OHL, and Q. I mean look at some of the defensive prospects. Dumba, Reinhart, Murray, Reilly, Seth Jones, Myles Bell, Derrick Pouliot, etc.

There's also our guys like Severson and Reece, who look like marginal prospects compared to those above. I really like Ryan Pulock, kid is 2013 eligible, 3rd in points by defencemen and he recently recorded a 101 mph slapper in the Wheat Kings skills competition. Plus he's a right handed shot and the team's captain.

BCHL I don't know much about.

As for Black and Matteau. It seems like they would both be even more fit if they were to switch league's. Matteau likes a physical game which would be more fit for the W, and Black's game is mostly about speed which is most fit for the Q. Although in the Subway Super Series, Black did show some aggression and willingness to be physical. I really like Black and hope someday he makes the team. I can see him being a mid-six guy who may be better off at the wing. I really want to see him play with Henrique on a line.

Thanks for the info, if both players can excel in leagues where there games aren't totally suited then that can only be a good sign. Although really I would want a prospect playing in the most difficult league possible no matter what their skill set. You learn more when you are placed in situations like that.

BCHL is a cut below all the other leagues.

For example, look at Zajac's final year in it before going to US College.

http://www.hockeydb....y.php?pid=69006

You can look at the BCHL on hockeydb.com to see they don't have a lot of draftable talent in that league from year to yet.

http://www.hockeydb....2&leaguenm=BCHL

http://www.hockeydb....1&leaguenm=BCHL

Kerfoot's numbers are ok, considering the league he is in, but he was a 5th round pick so it isn't a surprise he isn't a guy that is going to look like a huge prospect. Since the BCHL lacks the higher end talent I think it becomes hard to look at numbers and evaluate how well a guy is doing, it will be a lot easier to do that when he is at Harvard next year.

Kerfoot was a 5th round NHL pick and a 12th round WHL pick and his production hasn't improved from last year to this year in a lesser league. It sounds like he has some good tools by what people say, but he has a long road to go to even start looking like a NHL prospect, to me.

Thats a fair point, i mean based on a full season at his current production rate Kerfoot would be puting up 81 points which would put him in the top 10 in the league based on last years standings.

But if the League is not as strong then as you pointed out maybe he needs to be putting up Zajac numbers and getting closer to 100 points or pushing 2 points per game.

Monday 11/19

Belarus

Neman Grodno defeated HC Brest 9-3

Artur Gavrus F: 2 Goals, +2, 4 Shots

Season: 12 GP 5-2-7 +8 0 PIM 13.51 SH% 3.08 SH/GP

Tuesday 11/20

WHL

Swift Current lost to Edmonton 2-1

Reece Scarlett D: Assist, +1, 2 PIM (Roughing)

Season: 23 GP 1-10-11 -6 20 PIM

Graham Black C: E

Season: 24 GP 12-7-19 E 12 PIM

Belorussian men's league probably sucks but nice to see Gavrus doing reasonably well there.

It may suck but Gavrus is doing exceptionally well, especially in a lockout year. When Sergei Kostitsyn played in 04/05, his draft year, he put up 14 points in 40 games. Regardless if its a level below the KHL, he is still putting up a lot of shots and nice production for an 18 year old at 9 points in 13 games.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

Interesting he is over 4 shots/game the last 5 games, excellent development against men. Maybe he is our Grobovski/Kostitsyn, our system certainly needs something like that.

Certainly not our Kositsyn, I can't imagine Sergei Kostitsyn getting 4 shots a game against pee-wees.

But yeah, obviously anyone who has NHL pedigree should crush a league that probably has no ex-NHLers in it. Question will remain if he ever wants to come over and play in our system - doing this well likely means jumping to the KHL next year.

Certainly not our Kositsyn, I can't imagine Sergei Kostitsyn getting 4 shots a game against pee-wees.

But yeah, obviously anyone who has NHL pedigree should crush a league that probably has no ex-NHLers in it. Question will remain if he ever wants to come over and play in our system - doing this well likely means jumping to the KHL next year.

I figure BXL is simlar to the ECHL in talent in a normal season so it is still encouraging. Had he played in the OHL with top line minutes and top PP I would expect a 75 points in 60 games type season. KHL is where I want him to go next season, it's either that or OHL so I'd rather test his talents against tough competition.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

Friday 11/16

OHL

Sarnia lost to Sudbury 3-2 (SO)

Was at this game and was looking out for Boucher...

Didn't stand out a whole lot. He goes to the net hard and frequently. Moves the puck decently but looks more like a goal scorer. He may have just been flat that game... Sarnia doesn't travel a whole lot being in southern Ontario and it may have led to them getting beaten by Sud and getting smoked by the Soo 9-2 a couple days later.

He is playing on a very good team though so should make playoffs and hopefully do well.

11/22/12

OHL

Sarnia lost London 5-3

Reid Boucher LW: Goal, E, 2 PIM (Cross Checking)

Season: 24 GP 14-10-24 -2 24 PIM

Interesting article on Graham Black: http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/11/20/once-overlooked-swift-current-broncos-graham-black-coming-into-his-own

However, after a strong season last year, where he scored 17 goals an added 33 assists, Black was selected by the New Jersey Devils in the fifth round — 135th overall — in last summer’s draft.

“That was just the most amazing feeling that I ever had,” Black said. “It seems like all my hard work and the battles I’ve had with my health are all starting to fade.

“It’s paid off so far, but there is a lot of hard work still left to put in. It’s rewarding to know that there is somebody out there that likes me and it’s a great feeling to have someone like that on your side.”

Editing this one due to some scoring changes overnight:

Friday 11/23

QMJHL

Blainville-Boisbriand defeated Gatineau 3-0

Stefan Matteau LW: Goal (PP), E, 2 PIM (Elbowing), 3 Shots, 2/6 Faceoffs, 1 Hit* 1st Star

OHL

Sarnia lost to Kitchener 5-0

Reid Boucher LW: -1

Ben Thomson LW: E

Windsor defeated Saginaw 2-1

Ben Johnson LW: E (1 Assist in his past 8 games)

WHL

Kelowna defeated Regina 5-1

Damon Severson D: E

BCHL

Coquitlam defeated West Kelowna 5-4 (OT)

Alex Kerfoot C: Goal, 2 PIM (Hooking)

NCAA

Minnesota defeated Vermont 5-1

Seth Helgeson D: E, 1 Shot, 3 Blocks

Wisconsin lost to Minnesota State 4-2

Joe Faust D: -2

Ohio State defeated Lake Superior State 4-1

Curtis Gedig D:Assist, +4

North Dakota defeated Notre Dame 2-1

Derek Rodwell RW: E, 1 Shot, 1/1 Faceoff

Edited by thefiestygoat

Saturday 11/24

OHL

Sarnia defeated Peterborough 8-2

Reid Boucher LW: 2 Goals (1 PP), +3 (10-1-11 +4 10 PIM in 11 Nov. games)

Kitchener defeated Erie 4-2

Ben Thomson LW: E, 5 PIM (Fighting) (2 points in last 12 games)

WHL

Kelowna defeated Saskatoon 9-2

Damon Severson D: Assist, +2

BCHL

Coquitlam defeated West Kelowna 4-2

Alex Kerfoot C: No points or PIM's and +/- and shots are still not being recorded on the gamesheets.

Belarus

Neman Grodno defeated HC Vitbsk 6-4

Artur Gavrus F: Assist (SH), -1, 3 Shots* 3rd Star

NCAA

Michigan lost to Cornell 5-1 (At the Worlds Most Famous sh!tty Arena)

Jon Merrill D: DNP (Cracked Vertebrae)

Minnesota defeated Vermont 3-1

Seth Helgeson D: Assist, +1, 2 PIM (Holding), 2 Blocks

Wisconsin lost to Minnesota State 4-2

Joe Faust D: E, 3 Shots

Ohio State lost to Lake Superior State 3-2

Curtis Gedig D: -1, 1 Block

North Dakota lost to Notre Dame 5-2

Derek Rodwell RW: E, 2 Shots, 1 Block

Sunday 11/25

QMJHL

Blainville-Boisbriand defeated Gatineau 5-2

Stefan Matteau LW: Goal, +3, 2 PIM (Roughing), 5 Shots, 2/6 Faceoffs, 2 Hits

Season: 24 GP 14-9-23 +14 52 PIM 16.47 SH% 3.54 SH/GP 28 Hits 49.43 FO%

November: 10 GP 8-4-12 +12 21 PIM

OHL

Windsor lost to Kingston 4-3

Ben Johnson LW: -1

Season: 26 GP 3-5-8 -1 14 PIM

Just has 1 assist in his past 9 games, no points in his past 4 games, and just 3 points in his past 14 games.

WHL

Kelowna defeated Everett 8-2

Damon Severson D: E

Season: 24 GP 2-7-9 +4 30 PIM

1 Assist in his past 12 games but keep in mind he plays the other teams top line in a shut down role.

Edited by thefiestygoat

Tuesday 11/27

OHL

Kitchener lost to London 3-1

Ben Thomson LW: E, 4 PIM (Unsportsmanlike, Roughing)

Season: 25 GP 3-6-9 -4 40 PIM

Thomson has no points in his past 7 games and just 2 points in his past 13 games (including 12 in November).

WHL

Swift Current defeated Brandon 5-3

Reece Scarlett D: Goal, E

Season: 24 GP 2-10-12 -6 20 PIM

Graham Black C: 3 Assists (1 PP), +1

Season: 25 GP 12-10-22 +1 12 PIM

This was Scarlett's first back to back point scoring games of the year.

For a player with high hockey sense Black's assist total is terrible. This doesn't bother me too much, as long as his shot total and goal scoring is at a reasonable rate I believe with better linemates the assists should double his goals.

Being on the 2nd PP unit has really hurt his CHL numbers.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

I seriously hope Josefson is developing enough offense to center a 2nd line in the future, I believe this will be key moving forward. Even with 50 point offense his defense should be strong enough to hold the minutes.

New Jersey may lack superstar type players but they do have a large amount of speedy potential 3rd liners who are solid defensively and shoot a lot.

LW(L) Blake Pietila - 10 games, 7 goals, 31 shots

C(L) Graham Black - 25 games, 12 goals

Blake Coleman - 12 games, 4 goals, 48 shots

Steffan Matteau - 24 games, 14 goals, 85 shots

Larsson may have a field day racking up neutral zone assists in the future.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac