GDT- New Jersey @ Dallas (The Stephen Gionta is a Top 6 Forward Editio

Derlique

I get that he's not good defensively, but he makes our PP so much better. He played a huge part in not only drawing that penalty, but setting up the GWG as well.

I get that he's not good defensively, but he makes our PP so much better. He played a huge part in not only drawing that penalty, but setting up the GWG as well.

did you not see the pp where he literally had three turnovers on one shift, two in his own end?

Nobody can complain about Salvador without complaining about gelinas, because frankly gelinas has been exponentially worse. Similarly, you cannot complain about lokti/jj sitting because if we are playing gelinas we need 7 defensemen to cover for him- he played 2:50 tonight. That is stu Bickel territory.

I will be surprised if he plays tomorrow but I've been surprised a lot this season...

Henrique played a great game tonight. Might even go as far to say that's the best game I've seen him play all season. When he is flying, agitating and generating chances he's our best player on the ice. Didn't make the score sheet, but damn did he play well. 

I agree. I noticed it a little bit last game too. He's a strong guy. It's nice to see him play tough.

Gelinas has an offensive upside but a defensive downside? Should he be considered trade bait?

Offensive defenseman take longer to develop. He just can't be allowed to pigeonhole this team at the expense of a skill set they lack. It's robbing peter to pay paul. 

did you not see the pp where he literally had three turnovers on one shift, two in his own end?

Nobody can complain about Salvador without complaining about gelinas, because frankly gelinas has been exponentially worse. Similarly, you cannot complain about lokti/jj sitting because if we are playing gelinas we need 7 defensemen to cover for him- he played 2:50 tonight. That is stu Bickel territory.

I will be surprised if he plays tomorrow but I've been surprised a lot this season...

Holy crap he had one bad shift.  You wanna crucify him for one bad shift?  And it's not as if Gelinas has been bad defensively his entire time here.  He was very good defensively when he was paired with Larsson.  I think we should trade Zidlicky and call up Larsson.

BTW, I'm not complaining about Salvador.  I actually don't think he's as bad as people in here are saying he is.

He had one hood shift and multiple bad ones. He's been horrible. Not bad.

Holy crap he had one bad shift. You wanna crucify him for one bad shift? And it's not as if Gelinas has been bad defensively his entire time here. He was very good defensively when he was paired with Larsson. I think we should trade Zidlicky and call up Larsson.

BTW, I'm not complaining about Salvador. I actually don't think he's as bad as people in here are saying he is.

Holy crap he had one bad shift.  You wanna crucify him for one bad shift?  And it's not as if Gelinas has been bad defensively his entire time here.  He was very good defensively when he was paired with Larsson.  I think we should trade Zidlicky and call up Larsson.

BTW, I'm not complaining about Salvador.  I actually don't think he's as bad as people in here are saying he is.

Why not, that's what Pete does with all the kids :P

He has regressed...imo partly because of the Pete microscope and partly because his success offensively has gone to his head.  Now he doesn't even WANT to play defense.

Ridiculous statements like we are going to get crushed 4-1 and 5-1 in back to back gdts. The fact that you think those are possible outcomes for this team every night makes me doubt that you even watch devils games.

Edited by Sneax

Sal makes devils PK better and i love devils PK

but i dont think he should be captain (greene) 

and if they have to rid D it would be sal to send a pseudo message

Our PK was top  3 ranked when he was gone this season. Our forwards are what make our PK so good imo, they do a really good job of not letting the other team have much space, and getting sticks in shooting lanes.

Edited by Sneax

Why not, that's what Pete does with all the kids :P

He has regressed...imo partly because of the Pete microscope and partly because his success offensively has gone to his head.  Now he doesn't even WANT to play defense.

Exactly my point.  Pete's mindset is what ruins players.  If you bench a young guy for every mistake, it ruins the development of said player.

I'm ready to give Marty one of the last 4 before the Olympic break...it may be tomorrow. Nashville doesn't score much like us and now Weber Is dinged up and may not play

Honestly Cory can handle it. He had a light workload today. But it's the weakest offense of the 4 remaining pre Olympic games.

Wow, you've gone soft. Tomorrow is the PERFECT game to start Cory. Get the better goalie in against a weaker team. Take away the chance that a bad Brodeur outing surely costs the Devils if the offense isn't there..like the Yotes game.

Got to go with the better goalie tomorrow. And almost every game from here on out.

It's not important who has the C. That is one of the most overrated intangibles in hockey. Just have 3 A's and be done with it.

I agree.

Wow, you've gone soft. Tomorrow is the PERFECT game to start Cory. Get the better goalie in against a weaker team. Take away the chance that a bad Brodeur outing surely costs the Devils if the offense isn't there..like the Yotes game.

Got to go with the better goalie tomorrow. And almost every game from here on out.

Yea.  Tomorrow wouldn't be a bad game for Marty, but we need wins.  Nashville is a bad team.  They don't have a good offense.  They don't have a good defense,  And they don't have good goaltending.  Somehow they have 56 points despite that.

I counted 8 times tonight where Salvador caused the team to get pinned in their own zone. He is terrible, shouldn't even be a conversation.

And on both goals Salvador was too busy cross checking the guy in the back instead of being in better position to clear the puck or make sure a clear shot cannot get on goal, he left Benn by himself on the first one and looked like an idiot on the second goal without a clue what to do.

The fact that Larsson is in the AHL is an absolute crime while this veteran makes a fool of himself at the expense of the team. Shame on Lou and Pete for that.

Edited by Zubie#8

It's not important who has the C. That is one of the most overrated intangibles in hockey. Just have 3 A's and be done with it.

It's usually not important. The problem is that the captain in this case is one of your worst players, is signed for multiple years and should be benched. But he won't be, because he has the C. 

Some of the numbers for Cory and Marty have finally evened out:

Cory:  1670:25 minutes, 698 shots faced

Marty:  1665:08 minutes, 692 shots faced 

As we all know, outside of the so-so W-L-OT/SO loss records for both, that's where the similarites end, as far as season numbers go.

Believe it or not, as much as we've been getting on Marty lately for what has been a brutal January, he actually had a nice run of pretty good puckstopping before that.  In a 19-game stretch from 10/27 to 12/31, the team went 12-6-1 in his starts, and he put up a .917 save%, with three shutouts.  I have to admit, I find it kind of hard to believe too.  From 11/27 to 12/10, he had four consecutive rough starts (.826 save%), but in the other 15 games, he was actually pretty solid.  I bring this up, because when I analyze this stretch, I can almost understand why PDB and Marty both feel like he gives the Devils a reasonable chance to win.  Not saying I agree with it (I don't), but I can see a little better where they're coming from.

All of the above being said, I want to see Cory start ALL of the remaining games before the break, back-to-backs be damned.  Cory has a .949 save% with a 1.32 GAA in his last 11 appearances, and the Devils are 6-2-2 in his last 10 starts.  He hasn't given up more than 2 goals in any of those starts.  PDB talks about riding hot hands from time to time...it's hard to be much hotter than Cory is right now, and even if Marty suddenly found a game close to the level of the stretch I pointed out, it doesn't touch the kind of run that Cory is currently on.  And this team needs points, as many as it can get.  The Devils can't fvck around with trying to "right" Marty, or throwing him yet another bone, or worrying about a long layoff hurting his game if he doesn't get one start (the layoff's going to be long anyway...is one start for Marty going to make any real difference?).  Cory is going to have to go through the same thing, re:  a layoff.  Right now, you worry about getting yourself into playoff position, and if that happens, then maybe you can put Marty in a game here and there, but right now, until Cory says he's tired or there's a clear dropoff in his play, I think PDB should play him every single game, end of story.       

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976