As Devils fans please show Hedberg some respect

LucifersDog

There's no such thing as a fluke SCF run.

I'd argue EVERY run is fluky. Look how many goals Sal scored last year. You put together a tough team that can weather a storm and is deep enough to handle injuries, and you have a chance. Other than that, hope your goalie gets hot and a couple randoms put the puck in the net.

I used to believe that pre 04-05 lockout. Since then they are all flukey outside of couple of years.

It's not a fluke if u win 3 best out of 7 series. We had arguably the best 4 unit rotation on offense come playoffs last year. If the devils had kept Parise I would be saying another ECF should be easily within reach. When this team plays their game they can beat anyone. It didnt come together last year consistently till the playoffs and its hasn't been there on a nightly basis this year.

It's not a fluke if u win 3 best out of 7 series. We had arguably the best 4 unit rotation on offense come playoffs last year. If the devils had kept Parise I would be saying another ECF should be easily within reach. When this team plays their game they can beat anyone. It didnt come together last year consistently till the playoffs and its hasn't been there on a nightly basis this year.

Those sentences prove my point.

I'd argue EVERY run is fluky. Look how many goals Sal scored last year. You put together a tough team that can weather a storm and is deep enough to handle injuries, and you have a chance. Other than that, hope your goalie gets hot and a couple randoms put the puck in the net.

I'd agree to an extent. I wouldn't call it fluky as much as I would streaky. For me, making a run is about having the hottest goaltender, and historically, in pretty much every cup winning team the winning goalie played lights out the entire playoff. The Kings are a perfect example. Quick was fighting for a starting job pretty much the entire season, but come playoff time he absolutely killed it, yielding a Cup. So I guess in a sense, it would only be un-fluky if the Presidents Trophy winner, or at least a division winner won the Cup.

I'd agree to an extent. I wouldn't call it fluky as much as I would streaky. For me, making a run is about having the hottest goaltender, and historically, in pretty much every cup winning team the winning goalie played lights out the entire playoff. The Kings are a perfect example. Quick was fighting for a starting job pretty much the entire season, but come playoff time he absolutely killed it, yielding a Cup. So I guess in a sense, it would only be un-fluky if the Presidents Trophy winner, or at least a division winner won the Cup.

That's fair. The Devils got hot; they weren't a perfect team by any means. I think the same could happen this year, but is more likely not to.

Those sentences prove my point.

Not really though. If a team like the islanders got hot last year and got to the SCF or ECF then I would say yes that's fluky cause they are not built to win yet, but the devils were built for a championship once they got Zid last year. Once it came together they were consistently a top team. The talent was always there. And at the end of the day it's usually 2 of the most talented teams from top to bottom in the SCF. Only team in the east last year that scared me was Boston. Devils deserved where they ended up

I used to believe that pre 04-05 lockout.  Since then they are all flukey outside of couple of years.

It depends how you define fluky.  There are few truly great teams anymore though Boston and Chicago probably qualify as such this year.  The Devils were as good as any team in the league in the latter third of the season once they made a few tweaks to their roster and got Zajac back.  I wouldn't consider it fluky, although they were fortunate not to bomb another first round.