Fire DeBoer Thread

Daniel

Lamoriello has a track record for not signing players in season, but that doesn't mean he doesn't talk to them, feel them out and lay groundwork. Let's not confuse the two. Lou has always been of the opinion that if a player thinks he can get more money someplace else, he's entitled to it as a FA and should go get it. Lamoriello views each player as an asset to the team in the present and doesn't believe in trading assets today to spite tomorrow and hurting the team. Even if they told him to his face they're walking in July, it isn't happening.  

SD, Lou's been here since 1987. This is common knowledge. You can probably find the quotes online if you want to spend the time looking. Lou isn't the Lou of old anymore, but there's some things he's just not changing. He's not going to magically turn into Glen

Sather with in season signings.

Lou doesn't talk with players as you suggested just ask Elias the most loyal.

Re:  Parise, of course not.  That team had improved throughout the season after a 12-12-1 (heavily buoyed by six shootout wins) start. 

Re:  Clarkson, Devils were still in the playoff hunt at the time with a 15-12-9 record at the time of the deadline.  Unfortunately, an 0-6-1 nosedive followed, which SD will probably say Lou should've seen coming.    

i mean honestly, if you guys STILL think im saying he should have just trade him to get something, i mean at this point believe what you want. I can't even believe how many time i told YOU directly thats not what i meant and you still come back with that. Unreal.

and its not even the first time im telling you what i just told you. Really like talking to a wall

Edited by SterioDesign

Lou made the right choice by not trading Parise, because you know, we were in the playoff race!

Apples to oranges big time. What 28 something year old superstar are we suggesting to trade here? That's not even considering the difference in the teams we have. That team was never in a dire straight as this one is now.

Moving Parise would've been suicide for this franchise.  Sucks that he left, but selling him off would've been a bad, bad sign.  Young star player in his prime?  Sends the wrong message.

Moving him would have been suicide? Having him walk for nothing is the same result. Who gives a sh!t about signs, we would be in a much better position right now had he been traded off. And I'm not saying we shoulda traded him during the playoff run, that's just a crazy statement. The only message it would have sent is that Lou wasn't confident he could resign parise. Which turns out was the case.

A good GM (not saying Lou isn't) should have an idea of if he's going to be able to likely resign a big time player or not. He might not know 100percent but he must have had an idea. If you just explained the situation and didn't name the team or players, I'm sure people would think we were the Islanders or some sh!tty sh!tty franchise.

Edited by Sneax

Apples to oranges big time. What 28 something year old superstar are we suggesting to trade here? That's not even considering the difference in the teams we have. That team was never in a dire straight as this one is now.

Tell me you're joking.

I wasn't comparing this year's team to that team.  I was simply responding to Stereo.

Edited by Mike Brown

Moving him would have been suicide? Having him walk for nothing is the same result. Who gives a sh!t about signs, we would be in a much better position right now had he been traded off. And I'm not saying we shoulda traded him during the playoff run, that's just a crazy statement. The only message it would have sent is that Lou wasn't confident he could resign parise. Which turns out was the case.

A good GM (not saying Lou isn't) should have an idea of if he's going to be able to likely resign a big time player or not. He might not know 100percent but he must have had an idea. If you just explained the situation and didn't name the team or players, I'm sure people would think we were the Islanders or some sh!tty sh!tty franchise.

Ehh, yeah you can say that now.  But at the time, with all the ownership uncertainty, I think it would've been stupid to ship off the team's then-captain when the playoffs were 'still in reach'.  And, for all we knew, Lou maybe thought Parise was, in fact, going to resign.  If you believe the rumor mill, the gears really only began turning during the later parts of the season and playoffs when he was texting his BFFL.

But this issue has been absolutely beat to death by everyone here on the forum.  Nothing new being said here at this point.

-----

In another direction, this Randy Miller seems to have a problem with the commenters on nj.com:

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2014/02/devils_fans_vent_on_coach_but_players_rave_about_pete_deboer_system.html#incart_river

Now again, you can spin this article any way you'd like, but would any employee ever say something negative about their boss to the press?

Also, I'd like to hear him interview some young players to see how they feel - again, not that they'd ever say something negative.

Edited by Devilsfan118

Now again, you can spin this article any way you'd like, but would any employee ever say something negative about their boss to the press?

Not if they want to keep their jobs. All of them have a reason to not say anything stupid, negative or bad about the coach. Seeing the article as a testimony of any kind is foolish.

Interesting piece by Miller. Really good job. I am starting to really like this guy. 

Marshall, we disagree. Players going on the record about their coach is a big thing. It is very easy for a player to say no comment to a reporter or I don't want to discuss this with you. This isn't in front of a media scrum either. You have a reporter going off to the side and asking a player can I ask you a few questions about Deboer and the team. Very easy to say I'd rather not, especially when Miller is asking players to address fans concerns.

Nice idea for an article -- the players address the fans' concerns. But it is true that no player is going to say negative things about DeBoer. I wonder if anyone refused to comment. The reporter, Miller, doesn't say.

BTW, I support the job Pete 's done only because I don't believe the team as currently constructed could've been expected to do much better.

We need better horses.

Edited by 95Crash

Mark Fayne feels the same.

"I think one of Pete's biggest assets is how he gets his point across, whether it's a video meeting or pre-game meeting," the fourth-year defenseman said. "He tells us exactly what he expects from us and the team, and I think it's easier when the communication is so good.

"He also works well with the younger guys. He gets them into games. He gives them opportunities, and he gives them opportunities to play with some of the older guys."

Interesting, very interesting considering Fayne had been in and out of the lineup before. This could be lip service, but I wouldn't think so.

Not if they want to keep their jobs. All of them have a reason to not say anything stupid, negative or bad about the coach. Seeing the article as a testimony of any kind is foolish.

As devilsfan118 said, it can be spun anyway you want. If you're going into it disliking Deboer, of course that's how it's going to come out. Zubrus' spot is cemented on the team and he's been pretty honest in the past. His comments also really don't seem forced. Fayne can go where ever he wants in July, so he really has no reason to make stuff up either.

Every player who commented mentioned how much they like his system. Zubrus said that when things go wrong, it's because they've gone off of the system and people are trying to do their own thing. This is almost exactly what Elias said not long ago.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in baby.

I said if Pete went with Brodeur after the Sharks game that I am jumping on this bandwagon. If the Devils lose this game against the Wings, the season might as well be over.

I expect this thread to get lots of action in the next couple of days

I'm in baby.

I said if Pete went with Brodeur after the Sharks game that I am jumping on this bandwagon. If the Devils lose this game against the Wings, the season might as well be over.

I'm with you, I defended him all season but this is inexcusable. He has one mediocre game against a top 5 team, and gets benched? It's a joke. 

How many bones are the Devils obligated to throw Marty here?  Honestly..Cory needs this start.  

This move makes it all the more apparent that PDB has absolutely no ability to control the veterans in his locker room,  imo.

Edited by Devilsfan118

Count me in too.

Brodeur no-doubt has his fair share of blame throughout this fiasco, with how he's dragged the media into this. But Pete DeBoer has alot of blood on his hands, in regards to making this goalie situation an absolute mess. He has completely mishandled it from the beginning.

Count me in too.

Brodeur no-doubt has his fair share of blame throughout this fiasco, with how he's dragged the media into this. But Pete DeBoer has alot of blood on his hands, in regards to making this goalie situation an absolute mess. He has completely mishandled it from the beginning.

So has Lou Lamoriello. He can not be given a free pass. Lamoriello, from the very beginning, with his "1A" nonsense to the media and his inability to properly handle the ego and fame of Martin Brodeur.

Count me in too.

How has this goalie situation been "an absolute mess"??? This is insanely tame compared to Vancouver or Washington or Montreal the past few years. Relatively speaking, both goalies have been super professional.

How many bones are the Devils obligated to throw Marty here?  Honestly..Cory needs this start.  

This move makes it all the more apparent that PDB has absolutely no ability to control the veterans in his locker room,  imo.

Well, Cory made some very fundamental, bone-head, non-elite goaltender mistakes yesterday in a game that was very much needed by his club.  Cory makes saves on those last three Sharks goals and the game is different.

He played the 2 on 1 - Pavelski/Torres combo very badly.  Granted, Merril cheated to Pavelski's side a bit too much, however, Cory was very out of place when Torres shot that puck.  Plus, he gave up a few long range wristers yesterday...

I'm not 100% on Cory's "must win" game ability...

Keep Marty.

Well, Cory made some very fundamental, bone-head, non-elite goaltender mistakes yesterday in a game that was very much needed by his club.

This win would've been nice, let's put the game in THAT category.

But, statistically, most of the league can't beat the Sharks. When you're second in a super strong division, that's what it entails. Let's not act like anyone though yesterday's game should have been ours, it was Sharks' to lose.

Well, Cory made some very fundamental, bone-head, non-elite goaltender mistakes yesterday in a game that was very much needed by his club.  Cory makes saves on those last three Sharks goals and the game is different.

He played the 2 on 1 - Pavelski/Torres combo very badly.  Granted, Merril cheated to Pavelski's side a bit too much, however, Cory was very out of place when Torres shot that puck.  Plus, he gave up a few long range wristers yesterday...

I'm not 100% on Cory's "must win" game ability...

Keep Marty.

We'll have none of that rational non groupthink mentality here.

Since tomorrow is apparently guaranteed loss night now,  I'll take anyone's ticket who doesn't want to be subjected to seeing the greatest of all time play one more game here.