2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

MadDog2020

Chris Christie, our governor, is on with Boomer and Carton talking about how he loves the Rangers and what a die-hard Ranger fan he is. And his kids are Rag fans too. Its truly disgusting.

Edited by MadDog2020

Chris Christie, our governor, is on with Boomer and Carton talking about how he loves the Rangers and what a die-hard Ranger fan he is. And his kids are Rag fans too. Its truly disgusting.

Especially since he was throwing a fit during the Super Bowl, claiming that it was in NJ and not NY and should be acknowledged as such. Can't have it both ways fatso.

because theyre currently playing and the New Jersey team is not.. im sure he doesnt follow at all and hes just on the air flapping his gums

because theyre currently playing and the New Jersey team is not.. im sure he doesnt follow at all and hes just on the air flapping his gums

Nah, he's always been a Rags fan and he's not shy about it. When we played them in the ECF two years ago his kids were at the Garden wearing Rags jerseys. It's laughable.

Nah, he's always been a Rags fan and he's not shy about it. When we played them in the ECF two years ago his kids were at the Garden wearing Rags jerseys. It's laughable.

iam from New York (state not city..i live in rockland county) so 9 times out of 10 iam the black sheep whenever hockey gets brought up everyone is a rangers fan and iam left being the only devils fan usually.. but living in ny thats pretty much expected..however i feel like more and more a lot of people in nj are rangers fans as well..they just seem to have such a large fan base and now that they have a descent team and our team sucks thats not going to help anything.

Well Christie was 20 when the Devils came to NJ, so he sort of has an excuse to be a Rag fan. As far as I'm concerned it's not as bad as the 30 and under crowd. That said...he needs to realize that he's the governor of NJ and perhaps tone it down a bit. The fact that he was at MSG cheering AGAINST the home town Devils is pretty disgusting. And I'm surprised he didn't get more heat for that in the media

Christie is also a Cowboys fan and went to Metlife last year and schmoozed with Jerry Jones in the owners box and on the sidelines when the Giants played them. So he does it with football too.

Edited by '7'

I doubt he is the first and the last NJ governor who is a Rags fan.  He just gets it more because of his actions in office (both good and bad) and has made a lot of enemies.

He grew up in a time when the Devils didn't exist yet or when they were brand new.  Can't fault him for remaining a Rags fan at that point.  If he switched allegiances he will get it for abandoning his old team and if he sticks to the Rags like he did, well look at the flack he gets now.  He is in a catch 22.

Rex Ryan has been caught wearing the jersey of at least 3 different teams including the Devils yet he doesn't catch as much sh!t as Christie does.

Well Christie was 20 when the Devils came to NJ, so he sort of has an excuse to be a Rag fan. As far as I'm concerned it's not as bad as the 30 and under crowd. That said...he needs to realize that he's the governor of NJ and perhaps tone it down a bit

This exactly.

Christie himself I can understand a little based on the age thing... His kids have no excuse though. And I don't wanna hear this 'cheer for the team your father cheered for' sh!t, its a cop-out. Be your own person.

iam from New York (state not city..i live in rockland county) so 9 times out of 10 iam the black sheep whenever hockey gets brought up everyone is a rangers fan and iam left being the only devils fan usually.. but living in ny thats pretty much expected..however i feel like more and more a lot of people in nj are rangers fans as well..they just seem to have such a large fan base and now that they have a descent team and our team sucks thats not going to help anything.

Devils were the better team than the Rags for about 15 years and it helped a bit, but it still didn't pack them in.  Some of it has to do with the fact that previous owners didn't or couldn't invest more into promoting the team around the area.  A lot of it has to do with the Rags having "New York" in their name.  I mean remember that little kid in the interview before the Yankee Stadium game and why he thinks the Rangers are better than the Devils ("Because they are from New York").

Can't fix the second part but at least the new owners are trying to fix the first part.

Christie himself I can understand a little based on the age thing... His kids have no excuse though. And I don't wanna hear this 'cheer for the team your father cheered for' sh!t, its a cop-out. Be your own person.

Hard to do it when at home your father controls the TV and the means and ways to get tickets to a game up until you at least get your driver's license.

I don't like it either but I cannot blame it.  The people that really irritate me are the ones brand new to the sport and pick the Rangers all because they are from NY and believe the nonsense about their "storied history" rammed down their throats by MSG.

Hard to do it when at home your father controls the TV and the means and ways to get tickets to a game up until you at least get your driver's license.

I don't like it either but I cannot blame it. The people that really irritate me are the ones brand new to the sport and pick the Rangers all because they are from NY and believe the nonsense about their "storied history" rammed down their throats by MSG.

So do what I would do and root for the other team just to spite the old man lol. Maybe the message will become clear at that point. Again, my mother worked at MSG and was a Rangers fan for a long time... Even as a kid, I wasn't having that sh!t. I flat-out said it- the Devils are my team. Deal with it. Now she's a die-hard Devils fan too and has been for over 20 years.

So do what I would do and root for the other team just to spite the old man lol. Maybe the message will become clear at that point. Again, my mother worked at MSG and was a Rangers fan for a long time... Even as a kid, I wasn't having that sh!t. I flat-out said it- the Devils are my team. Deal with it. Now she's a die-hard Devils fan too and has been for over 20 years.

Well it is obvious then you are a much stronger willed person than a lot of others lol.

I doubt he is the first and the last NJ governor who is a Rags fan.  He just gets it more because of his actions in office (both good and bad) and has made a lot of enemies.

He grew up in a time when the Devils didn't exist yet or when they were brand new.  Can't fault him for remaining a Rags fan at that point.  If he switched allegiances he will get it for abandoning his old team and if he sticks to the Rags like he did, well look at the flack he gets now.  He is in a catch 22.

Rex Ryan has been caught wearing the jersey of at least 3 different teams including the Devils yet he doesn't catch as much sh!t as Christie does.

This exactly.

Ryan is actually a Maple Leafs fan as he did most of his growing up in Toronto. He's a huge hockey fan though and a big jersey collector...so he attends a lot of games when he can and they just give him the jersey of whatever the home team is and he just adds it to his collection. 

Edited by '7'

thats kind of funny man.. growing up my parents were divorced.. my dad isnt really a sports guy but he use to get devils tickets from work and would take me and and thats how i got into it.. so i remember for christmas one year my mother got me a gretzky rangers jersey..i dont know what she was thinking i was probably 9 or 10 i was pissed and made sure she knew it.. through it in the closet and never wore it once.. she knew the deal after that.

thats kind of funny man.. growing up my parents were divorced.. my dad isnt really a sports guy but he use to get devils tickets from work and would take me and and thats how i got into it.. so i remember for christmas one year my mother got me a gretzky rangers jersey..i dont know what she was thinking i was probably 9 or 10 i was pissed and made sure she knew it.. through it in the closet and never wore it once.. she knew the deal after that.

If someone ever gave me one of those disgusting blue sh!t-cloths, I would've burned it to prove a point.
  • Like 1

lol I think she meant well though.  She probably saw you were into hockey and so Gretzky was a big name back then and it was a local team so she thought she covered all the bases.  Either that or someone at the store talked her into it.

lol I think she meant well though.  She probably saw you were into hockey and so Gretzky was a big name back then and it was a local team so she thought she covered all the bases.  Either that or someone at the store talked her into it.

Yeah, not all parents are tuned in.  My wife's parents have always been clueless as to what's in.  They once bought her older brother a New Kids on the Block album (in 1989...he was 14 at the time) for Xmas, because they saw that they were getting a lot of attention.  They didn't know anything else about them other than that.  Her brother was like "WTF, are you KIDDING me?!" 

My parents were actually pretty aware...they were much more up on the in stuff.  But a lot of parents aren't.  A lot of them either don't make the effort or simply don't keep up.   

Ryan is actually a Maple Leafs fan as he did most of his growing up in Toronto. He's a huge hockey fan though and a big jersey collector...so he attends a lot of games when he can and they just give him the jersey of whatever the home team is and he just adds it to his collection. 

What he does is actually the most graceful respectful way to go about the situation, wear the home team jersey. Unlike our "Jersey pride" governor who is outspoken about his love for the Broadway Blueshirts.

Yeah, I imagine buying a kid a Gretzky jersey was akin to buying a kid a Michael Jordan jersey back then.

What he does is actually the most graceful respectful way to go about the situation, wear the home team jersey. Unlike our "Jersey pride" governor who is outspoken about his love for the Broadway Blueshirts.

The way the Gov should of went about it was say I grew up a Rangers fan so am kind of torn.  He is a politician after all we know he can lie.

And if Christie switched allegiances he would have been attacked for switching them.  He really is in a cannot-win situation with this and it is probably the lesser of two evils to just stick with the team he grew up cheering.

I grew up in Rockland, and was a Rags fan 'cuz my Dad was.  When friends & I wanted to get hammered & see some games, it was too expensive to get into NYC (the GWB was $2.00, lol).

So we went to the Meadowlands for some games.  It was quick to get there, parking was $3.00, so everybody but the driver kicked in a buck, and we got home super fast since we did not get stuck on Rte 3 West. That was in 1987-88 when the Devs had their great run...and we all became Devs fans & still are to this day !

Best. Decision. Ever.

5 Finals & 3 Cups !!!!!!

Edited by BlueSkirt
  • Like 1