The 2014 World Cup- Brazil

Dark horse for me this year is Uruguay (Go El Diablo Go ! ) 

They will make lot of trouble... Bank on that ! 

lol a team with Luis Suarez and Edinson Cavani do not qualify as a dark horse + they were a semifinalist in 2010. Uruguay are a favorite to do well.

lol a team with Luis Suarez and Edinson Cavani do not qualify as a dark horse + they were a semifinalist in 2010. Uruguay are a favorite to do well.

Agreed. They are second favourites in terms of betting.

World Cup got always the same people near the last step... Germany, Brazil, Italia (and since 2 world cups, Spain)...

Excuse me but Uruguay aren't at the same historical level.

That would be a HUGE suprise that Uruguay won the World Cup (and really good one but a big one nonetheless)

And i can name you two huge players in a lot of teams ... but they will not be dark horse (Portugal with Nani/Ronaldo + moutinho for example ) 

Argentine (if they end first in their group) can have an easy schedule to the semi

World Cup got always the same people near the last step... Germany, Brazil, Italia (and since 2 world cups, Spain)...

That would be a HUGE suprise that Uruguay won the World Cup (and really good one but a big one nonetheless)

And i can name you two huge players in a lot of teams ... but they will not be dark horse (Portugal with Nani/Ronaldo + moutinho for example ) 

Argentine (if they end first in their group) can have an easy schedule to the semi

The definition of a dark horse: "a candidate or competitor about whom little is known but who unexpectedly wins or succeeds."

There is plenty known about Uruguay. They have two of the best strikers in the world (not many teams can boast 2 top ten in the world strikers) up front, an excellent backline led by Godin and Jimenez who are coming off leading a team to Champions League final, and a solid midfield. They're one of the favorites in their group which is already considered the toughest group in the tournament. 

They would not be a huge surprise to win. They're playing in South America and they've historically performed well whenever the tournament has been held there. And again, they were a semi-finalist just 4 years ago + as its been pointed out they're currently the 2nd favorite in terms of betting. This is not a dark horse. Anyone who pays attention to this sport would not be overly surprised if Uruguay were to win it all and more than a few are picking them to make the semis at least again.

You want dark horses? Chile and Japan are the definition of the term.

Uruguay have won two world cups that is more than France (and England and Spain). :P They are also up there in tournaments qualified for, quarter and semi finals.

I checked the odds again, they have lengthened to be 4th in terms of odds to win.

They are hardly a two man team either, Diego Godin, Maxi Pereire, Gaston Ramirez , Diego Forlan.

And Nani?

Don't get me wrong.. of course Uruguay is already a well know team... 
But for this particular world cup.. every team that isn't Brazil isn't expected to win ! Odds are SOOOOO for Brazil it's ridiculous.

I hope Uruguay will won it... And as long as Spain doesn't win.. i will be fine with any kind of result 

(i think this time, French players will leave their bus) 

Uruguay have won two world cups that is more than France (and England and Spain). :P They are also up there in tournaments qualified for, quarter and semi finals.

I checked the odds again, they have lengthened to be 4th in terms of odds to win.

They are hardly a two man team either, Diego Godin, Maxi Pereire, Gaston Ramirez , Diego Forlan.

And Nani?

Well yeah but Uruguay's last title was in 1950...that's like saying the Rangers have won more Cups than the Devils :lol:

Is Forlan even still playing for them?  I saw in a couple different places he's not a starter anymore.  He is basically to them what Donovan would be to us at this point if Klinsmann didn't off him.

Edited by NJDevs4978

You want dark horses? Chile and Japan are the definition of the term.

Nah they're just prohibitive underdogs period.  Well Chile might be a darkhorse if they were in another group.  Same with the US for that matter.  But true darkhorses basically never win the World Cup.  It's always been the same handful of teams that have actually won for the most part.  And almost invariably European teams win in Europe and South America teams win in the Americas.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Today is the Day Game 1:

Brazil vs Croatia 9pm GMT, 5pm Brazil time.

First game, all the pressure on Brazil, I think they can handle it.

Brazil:

Look for David Luiz to throw himself about in the early stages, anyone doing in play betting have some money on Luiz to get the first yellow. No idea what the starting line up will be, Neymar will be starting behind Fred I imagine, Personally I would like to see Willian and Hulk as the two wider players. But it depends on formation. There is word that they will start the same team that beat Spain in the Confed Cup. That means Oscar will likely start, even though he seems burnt out.

One to Watch: Neymar: will be out to entertain from the offset, great free kick taker.

Super Sub: Willian, if he comes on, Gut busting runs, tracks back and some real flair.

Young Gun: Neymar cant have it all, so watch for Bernard coming off the bench.

Croatia:

Croatia are no slouches, Luka Modric and Ivan Rakitic will provide most of the creative flair . Mario Mandzukic is a big loss for Croatia up front, as he is suspended. That means Jelavic (who had a less than impressive early campaign with Everton before finding his way with Hull ) Eduardo (who was born and raised in brazil) will be leading the line. I would chose Eduardo  Dejan Lovren has had a standout year with Southampton and will pose some threat from set pieces.

One to Watch: Ivan Rakitic- Had a fantastic year and really makes things work.

Super Sub: Whoever doesn't start up front. Olic is capable of a goal or two.

Young Gun: Mateo Kovacic- Wonderful season in Italy. 19 years old and destined for big things.

Today is the Day Game 1:

Brazil vs Croatia 9pm GMT, 5pm Brazil time.

First game, all the pressure on Brazil, I think they can handle it.

Brazil:

Look for David Luiz to throw himself about in the early stages, anyone doing in play betting have some money on Luiz to get the first yellow. No idea what the starting line up will be, Neymar will be starting behind Fred I imagine, Personally I would like to see Willian and Hulk as the two wider players. But it depends on formation. There is word that they will start the same team that beat Spain in the Confed Cup. That means Oscar will likely start, even though he seems burnt out.

One to Watch: Neymar: will be out to entertain from the offset, great free kick taker.

Super Sub: Willian, if he comes on, Gut busting runs, tracks back and some real flair.

Young Gun: Neymar cant have it all, so watch for Bernard coming off the bench.

Croatia:

Croatia are no slouches, Luka Modric and Ivan Rakitic will provide most of the creative flair . Mario Mandzukic is a big loss for Croatia up front, as he is suspended. That means Jelavic (who had a less than impressive early campaign with Everton before finding his way with Hull ) Eduardo (who was born and raised in brazil) will be leading the line. I would chose Eduardo  Dejan Lovren has had a standout year with Southampton and will pose some threat from set pieces.

One to Watch: Ivan Rakitic- Had a fantastic year and really makes things work.

Super Sub: Whoever doesn't start up front. Olic is capable of a goal or two.

Young Gun: Mateo Kovacic- Wonderful season in Italy. 19 years old and destined for big things.

Anything but a clear Brazil victory would be a huge surprise. Croatia has a few few good players, but they lack the depth. I can,t wait for the Spain Netherlands game tomorrow.

First game and first good prediction...

i'm 100% right with my WC prediction so far... ; ) 

3-1 wtih the first refereree screwjob... Get ready to have a lot of them with such a bad level of referee (traditionnal in Worldcup turning first round) ...

Oh.. and we cannot afford to let the Brazil don't go deep in the cup right ? right ? 

First game and first good prediction...

i'm 100% right with my WC prediction so far... ; ) 

3-1 wtih the first refereree screwjob... Get ready to have a lot of them with such a bad level of referee (traditionnal in Worldcup turning first round) ...

Oh.. and we cannot afford to let the Brazil don't go deep in the cup right ? right ? 

Same here hoping to win the work pick em!!

Terrible decision on that penalty!! It sucks that they are allowing such sub standard refs into the tournament.

Group A: Mexico v Cameroon

Venue: Estadio das Dunas, Natal

Kick-off: 5pm (GMT) (1pm, US Brazil time)

The first Meh game of the tournament. But likely to be an interesting game. Neither team will be too much affected by the heat. Mexico have decided to leave Manchester United's Javier Hernandez on the bench for the first game, he does have an impact from the subs bench for united so we will see if he can do the same for Mexico. Cameroon have a few quality players. Eto'o is still a brilliant player, as is Alex song even though he didn't have the best year at Barca and will likely be off in the summer. I had this game at 2-2 and I am sticking with it.

Group A: Mexico v Cameroon

Venue: Estadio das Dunas, Natal

Kick-off: 5pm (GMT) (1pm, US Brazil time)

The first Meh game of the tournament. But likely to be an interesting game. Neither team will be too much affected by the heat. Mexico have decided to leave Manchester United's Javier Hernandez on the bench for the first game, he does have an impact from the subs bench for united so we will see if he can do the same for Mexico. Cameroon have a few quality players. Eto'o is still a brilliant player, as is Alex song even though he didn't have the best year at Barca and will likely be off in the summer. I had this game at 2-2 and I am sticking with it.

I don't see this a s a "meh" game as it a must win for both teams. Mexico got screwed big time in the first half. 2 good goals were disallowed and a clear penalty not given.

they should have a 2nd ref sitting in front of a TV so that at least one ref can see what everyone else in the world can see. The Refs have just been brutal in the first 2 games so far

I feel i'm a genius... i put 5€ (ok not a huge bet) on the fact that Spain will not escape their group ! 

And i was at a already big victory for Netherland 3-1... Now this is something !

I'm happy ! 

TeamAntiSpain there ! 

(when you think that my mum is born in Barcelona... what a terrible son i'm ! ) 

Welp, Greece-Colombia at noon today.  Not feeling all that great about it but at least Socratis Papastathopoulos is fit enough to anchor the defense.  Of course Santos is going to start the ****** old men like Katsouranis and Tziolis in favor of Fetfazidis and Kone because they're too young.  Nevermind that Kone and Fetfa are our most creative midfielders.  Feels like I'm talking about the Devils here.  I also have no idea why I typed that all out considering no one here probably knows any Greek players (I dont blame you by the way haha, they're pretty brutal to watch some times).

The media in England is bizarre. Heaping praise on Sterling who had a shocking game and couldn't keep hold of the ball for more than a second.

England are a team in transition. This will be a great tournament to get experience for players like barkley,lalanna and Ox.

Italy were clinical. Didn't really put a foot wrong. Still think a draw would have been a fair result. It will all be on the Uruguay game now.

The media in England is bizarre. Heaping praise on Sterling who had a shocking game and couldn't keep hold of the ball for more than a second.

England are a team in transition. This will be a great tournament to get experience for players like barkley,lalanna and Ox.

Italy were clinical. Didn't really put a foot wrong. Still think a draw would have been a fair result. It will all be on the Uruguay game now.

England did show a lot promise but they seemed a bit inflexible defensively. Many times Baines ended up having to defend 2 players and didn't get the help he needed. Gerrard is also no Pirlo.