Pond Hockey

gardenstatepkwy

Not sure if this is the appropriate forum, although it is kind of hockey related...

It's been below freezing for a little while now, has anyone investigated their local retaining pond, small lake, etc for ice? Looks like its going to continue to be freezing for at least 3-5 days longer. May be able to get some quality pond time in.

Not sure if this is the appropriate forum, although it is kind of hockey related...

It's been below freezing for a little while now, has anyone investigated their local retaining pond, small lake, etc for ice? Looks like its going to continue to be freezing for at least 3-5 days longer. May be able to get some quality pond time in.

I was just talking about this with a friend yesterday...

I am going to investigate tonight, I think they should be almost ready to go

I thought the rule of thumb was 10 straight days below freezing.. Could be wrong though

A couple of days as cold as today should be sufficient. I think the park in Madison near the Florham Park border was flooded and is open. Also, the roller hockey rinks in East Hanover and Parsippany are usually flooded and could have ice this week as well. Plus, they have boards, benches and full sized nets. I'm going to check out Parsippany tonight after work. Gotta take advantage of the free ice while you can around here.

Make sure to check carefully. I know it's crazy cold out right now but there's A LOT of other factors on how thick the ice is. How big of a body of water it is, current, etc.

This happened just over 2 weeks ago down the road from me...there were people on the ice all day before hand. I passed by the lake last Thursday and almost the whole lake was thawed out. One week with only 1/2 that time being really cold isn't enough time.

Both the kids bodies have since been recovered but here's the original article.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/08/budd-lake-search-missing-teens-fallen-through-ice_n_2431652.html

Budd Lake Search For Missing Teens, Thought To Have Fallen Through Ice, Continues

Make sure to check carefully. I know it's crazy cold out right now but there's A LOT of other factors on how thick the ice is. How big of a body of water it is, current, etc.

This happened just over 2 weeks ago down the road from me...there were people on the ice all day before hand. I passed by the lake last Thursday and almost the whole lake was thawed out. One week with only 1/2 that time being really cold isn't enough time.

Both the kids bodies have since been recovered but here's the original article.

http://www.huffingto..._n_2431652.html

That hits close to me because I'm right around the corner from Budd Lake. (If you consider Rockaway "around the corner") Absolutely shocked when I heard that news.

The closest pond to me is Parks Lake in Rockaway Boro and I've never in my 23 years have seen that lake completely frozen to the point that it would be suitable for hockey. I don't think you are allowed to skate on it regardless. Haha.

That hits close to me because I'm right around the corner from Budd Lake. (If you consider Rockaway "around the corner") Absolutely shocked when I heard that news.

The closest pond to me is Parks Lake in Rockaway Boro and I've never in my 23 years have seen that lake completely frozen to the point that it would be suitable for hockey. I don't think you are allowed to skate on it regardless. Haha.

Yup I could see the police helicopters the first night and the news the next morning from where I live. Scary stuff.

I lived on a lake growing up and rarely worried about the consequences "IF" the ice wasn't thick enough. Hell I could see open water and would walk toward it like an idiot. Anyway back to the orig topic. I'm pretty sure a lot of the really small ponds probably are fine. Just larger bodies of water I wouldn't trust for another week. That and I'm more worried since all that happened.

Yup I could see the police helicopters the first night and the news the next morning from where I live. Scary stuff.

I lived on a lake growing up and rarely worried about the consequences "IF" the ice wasn't thick enough. Hell I could see open water and would walk toward it like an idiot. Anyway back to the orig topic. I'm pretty sure a lot of the really small ponds probably are fine. Just larger bodies of water I wouldn't trust for another week. That and I'm more worried since all that happened.

I'm in Budd Lake as well, less than a mile from the lake. I couldn't believe when that happened. Terrible.