Niedermayer Banner

sundstrom

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they said "Lou"

I was saying boo-urns.

my seats were next to the boxes were Nieds family was. For as graceful Scotty was on the ice, he came real close to falling down as he was walking down the stairs and possibly going over the glass. Stumbled down a few stairs but regained his balance, it was just a sureal moment when I saw it.

and getting back on topic since all I really wanted to do was throw in a simpsons reference is.

Aren't the fonts inconsistent on a few banners? don't think it's one of the cup banners but I do remember some of the banners being off. I will have to check tonight.

Joe

Could be since Niedermayer did get drafted when they wore the old jerseys.

Am I the only one who is most annoyed about the "R" in his name? I do not think they used that font at any point.

Damn it stop pointing these things out! Now I wont be able to look at the banner!

Could be since Niedermayer did get drafted when they wore the old jerseys.

Am I the only one who is most annoyed about the "R" in his name? I do not think they used that font at any point.

wow - missed the R - yup another terrible job there.

the 2, i suppose, could be like the kitchen jersey but it's still wrong in my eyes. they might as well have done the rangers 3d font

Funny DIG, I remember thinking the same thing, that it reminded me of the second Xmas font. The first Xmas one was kinda weird looking...the numbers were too skinny. When you watch old Devils videos, those numbers just look primitive somehow.

Still can't believe the fonts are so off...especially when Stevens and Daneyko were correct. Gotta think the manufacturer blew that one...

Aren't the fonts inconsistent on a few banners? don't think it's one of the cup banners but I do remember some of the banners being off. I will have to check tonight.

Joe

They may be, but this is a glaring error because in this case there is an actual correct font--the one used on the jerseys. The Stevens and Daneyko banners have the correct font, but the Niedermayer one does not.

Does anyone think they'll replace the banner, or just leave it as is? I'd imagine it wouldn't be a cheap endevor.

I really do think the banner company f'ed up, and that there simply wasn't time to replace it. I just find it hard to believe that the Devils would screw something like that up...why would they ever send the wrong fonts over to the company that manufactured the banner? Especially when they were correct on the mini-banner and print?

If that's the case, I would think it's on the manufacturer to replace it free-of-charge, as it was their screw-up to begin with.

I'm guessing that having had four days since Nieds Night, they moved the banner(s) down to their permanent spot next to 4 and 3. Can anyone who was there last night verify? How'd they look all together? I'm kinda surprised I haven't seen any pics of them yet.

A friend of mine posted a photo of all three together on her Facebook, looks good. Font still looks wonky, but I'm wondering...could the weird font be because his name's too damn long to fit comfortably on the banner with the regular font? Would explain the weird looking R's anyway (though it offers no explanation for the weird 2).

I don't know why, but I'm surprised by the placement of the banners. It goes Neidermayer/Danyeko/Stevens. I would have thought Neids would be at the other end, in number order. I dunno why I notice these things, just...stuck me as a little odd. I'm sure there's a perfectly good reason for the order (probably a pain in the ass to move the other banners over or something).

Edited by thelastonealive

I don't know why, but I'm surprised by the placement of the banners. It goes Neidermayer/Danyeko/Stevens. I would have thought Neids would be at the other end, in number order. I dunno why I notice these things, just...stuck me as a little odd. I'm sure there's a perfectly good reason for the order (probably a pain in the ass to move the other banners over or something).

I think it's just the order in which they were retired ... Stevens, Dano, Nieds. I think Monument Park in Yankee Stadium is ordered in the same manner.

I'm guessing that having had four days since Nieds Night, they moved the banner(s) down to their permanent spot next to 4 and 3. Can anyone who was there last night verify? How'd they look all together? I'm kinda surprised I haven't seen any pics of them yet.

they look fine - other than Nieds being wrong as has been discussed. i have a feeling they'll never change it.

I think it's just the order in which they were retired ... Stevens, Dano, Nieds. I think Monument Park in Yankee Stadium is ordered in the same manner.

correct.

Ah, makes sense. And I wouldn't know about that Yankee crap. :lol:

Speaking of "that Yankee crap" ( :P ) and retired numbers, I always thought it was a cool coincidence that both franchises retired the same first two numbers in the same order: Gehrig & Ruth, Stevens & Daneyko.

UniWatch made mention ...

Devil is in the details: After the Devils retired Scott Niedermayer’s number the other day, several readers pointed out that the numerals on his banner didn’t match the team’s jersey number font. According to reader Steven Wojtowicz, this is just the latest manifestation of a trope that’s been driving him bonkers for years (and will probably start driving the rest of us bonkers now that he’s pointed it out): The 7 that the Devils use for retail purposes is different than the 7 that the players wear on the ice.

Odd, right? I’ll make some inquiries and see what I can find out.

Never noticed the 7 thing before, but it's dead on. The image provided does a decent job of showing the difference in the top right corner of the 7, but because Kovy tucks his jersey it doesn't really clearly show just how different the bottom is. This one is a little clearer. The bottom part on the retail jersey doesn't end nearly as far to the left as the game-worn ones do.

So 7 on the Nieds banner is actually closer to what he wore in his playing days than the the one on the sweaters they gave him at the ceremony -- both the framed one and the one he wore. The 7s on the mini-banners, the podium, all over the arena ... all wrong as well.

Edited by DaneykoIsGod