NFL Divisional Round Playoffs!

CRASHER

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

N.E. impressed me in that whenever they got down 14 they had that big drive where Baltimore just couldn't make a stop and get them off the field. Ravens D just isn't what it used to be and Brady carved them up with relative ease, and the trick play with Edelman was perfectly executed. Whenever Baltimore had N.E. on the ropes they just couldn't make any sort of defensive stand.

New Englands defense on the other hand looked like...well N.E. defense. They gave up huge chunks of yards, and points, but they picked up key turnovers as well. I don't know what Flacco was thinking on that 2nd and 5 late in the 4th throwing it up like that. They were at the Patriots 36 with tons of time left. Why not get down the field in smaller chunks?

As for Seattle. I think they're a juggernaut now and that sense something special historically going on their. Carolina gave them their best shot and they still ground them to dust. I don't think anybody is stopping them. They remind me of the LA Kings of football. Big, physical, fast. Sometimes the can look disinterested and let an inferior team hang around but when they play...look out. it's over. I think they're the Super Bowl Champions

Edited by '7'

You pretty much nailed it 7.  The Ravens' secondary issues were on full display (over 400 yards passing for NE). 

Obviously, all you want is a win, regardless of how it comes, but that was the kind of win we've seen a lot of from the Pats in recent years:  Brady and the offense having to overcome the defense...the script was supposed to be different this postseason.  Yes, they came up with a couple of key picks, but like you allude to, I have no idea what Flacco was thinking on Pick #2.  Even if he completes that pass, you're giving Brady & Co a nice chunk of time to either tie or win.  Maybe he liked the matchup there (no Revis or Browner), but it still not a great decision on Flacco's part.  Like you said...take small chunks of yardage.  

Defense can't have another game like that if NE wants to get to a Super Bowl...Revis has to play a lot better. 

Congrats CoRo76. We had you on the ropes, but in the end our makeshift secondary was finally exposed. Not sure what stadium dummervil played in last night

Thanks.  Definitely had that "Here we go again" feeling at 14-0, and at 28-14 I felt like they were done...but I was giving the Ravens' D more credit than they probably deserve (a lot of my fears were based on what the Ravens used to be, as opposed to what they actually are).  The old Ravens would have won that game 28-17 or something like that.  Ravens' D just isn't the same...and Flacco Pick #2 was just baffling.  I still can't figure out why he attempted that throw.     

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Yeah no Ray Lewis or Ed Reed there, really the secondary was a joke period.  The only reason they looked decent defensively last week was Bell was out and Ben got hurt.

Obviously the key to the game was the Pats' quick response TD's both times the Ravens got up fourteen.  And yeah I don't really get trying to go for the home run ball on the last drive either (especially given if you give the ball back to Brady up three with that much time left it's almost automatically going to OT) though I guess you live by the sword and die by the sword.

Edited by NJDevs4978

You pretty much nailed it 7.  The Ravens' secondary issues were on full display (over 400 yards passing for NE). 

Obviously, all you want is a win, regardless of how it comes, but that was the kind of win we've seen a lot of from the Pats in recent years:  Brady and the offense having to overcome the defense...the script was supposed to be different this postseason.  Yes, they came up with a couple of key picks, but like you allude to, I have no idea what Flacco was thinking on Pick #2.  Even if he completes that pass, you're giving Brady & Co a nice chunk of time to either tie or win.  Maybe he liked the matchup there (no Revis or Browner), but it still not a great decision on Flacco's part.  Like you said...take small chunks of yardage.  

Defense can't have another game like that if NE wants to get to a Super Bowl...Revis has to play a lot better. 

CR, you got to stop with the Pats defense stuff. They made the plays when it counted. Two big turnovers. Revis eliminated Smith, in the 3rd that in the 4th, Flacco stopped even looking his way completely. They made the key play at the end. That's huge, and all that matters. That's what you hope for. These are great offenses in the playoffs and they shut them down in the 4th.

A lot of people are saying the throw was terrible for a few reasons. If your reason is that he never looked off the safety and threw into double coverage...well absolutely, you are right. If your reason is also the one you mentioned, "Even if he completes that pass, you're giving Brady & Co, and nice chunk of time to win or tie" well I hate that and don't buy it.

You cannot think about trying to score and score in the best possibly way that takes as much time off the clock as possible while doing it. You don't have that luxury when you are LOSING.  You just can't. You try and just score to go from losing to winning. When it is tied, maybe try and slow things down to kick a field goal for the game. I'm perfectly fine with Flacco going for the lead right then and there. It was simply not a good read on his part. But you have to have all the weapons and all the confidence that you fele you can line up 6-7 perfect plays that will score you a TD and give NE 15 seconds.

Once you get in the red zone, it's tough.

dr33:  respectfully disagree on the Flacco throw.  Too big of a risk (especially with double coverage) and I do think time left on the clock is a valid consideration.  Baltimore's D was clearly having a tough time...why put them back on the field with 1:39 left?  Why give Brady that kind of a chance to tie or win?  Flacco didn't need to go for the home run there.

As for the Pats' D...Flacco's mistake helped bail them out.  Overall they weren't good, especially in the first half.  Considering how they were looking for the last several weeks, that effort yesterday was a throwback to recent seasons.   

Now THAT was the garrett I know and HATE....why the hell are you spreading them out with 3rd and 1 and two timeouts in your pocket.....go two TE's and make them worry about the damned run and if you don't get it kick the field goal....now you leave A-Rod 3 timeouts and 30 seconds.....that's terrible!

Now THAT was the garrett I know and HATE....why the hell are you spreading them out with 3rd and 1 and two timeouts in your pocket.....go two TE's and make them worry about the damned run and if you don't get it kick the field goal....now you leave A-Rod 3 timeouts and 30 seconds.....that's terrible!

That was a screw-up but besides that, the first half went according to plan for Dallas. Let's see if they can keep putting together drives with lots of plays.

That was a screw-up but besides that, the first half went according to plan for Dallas. Let's see if they can keep putting together drives with lots of plays.

They got GB off the field on their first drive pretty quickly....that makes up for the goof at the end of the half.....the D has done an AMAZING job so far in keep the Packers in check.....now it's back on the offense

Hahaha geez it didn't take long to get a karma reversal from last week

and it took just as quickly to get someone saying that :P

I miss the old days where possession + two feet = CATCH....and people wonder why the refs look like idiots....the rules are too convulted :P