Official 2014 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

Bit of a surprise but Vic Black was optioned. His control has been a mess all spring and his velocity has been down a bit, too. Parnell also continued to sit 88-92 yesterday, per Rubin. This bullpen is going to be such a disaster.

Valverde officially made the team.

yeah I'm not going to feel too safe handing over leads to that bullpen and regularly needing 9 outs.

Although I will say that nobody expected Hawkins to be anything last year and he was a pleasant surprise, so you never know, maybe somebody steps up.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah I'm not going to feel too safe handing over leads to that bullpen and regularly needing 9 outs.

Although I will say that nobody expected Hawkins to be anything last year and he was a pleasant surprise, so you never know, maybe somebody steps up.

I won't harp on it anymore, but this is yet another reason why 90 should never have been thrown out there.  The young starting pitching that will be making its way into the rotation will be interesting, and overall the team might be OK defensively, but they figure to be average offensively at best, and bad in the bullpen. 

I think this is all you've got now, as far as the bullpen goes...hope for a lot of pleasant surprises. 

One positive note is that it seems like Lagares may start after all:

I think everybody would probably agree he's our best [defensive] outfielder, he's our best center fielder," Alderson said Tuesday about Lagares. "But he's going to have to hit a little bit, too. So if he were to start in center field on Opening Day, we'd have to see over a period of time -- how long, how short I don't know -- that he can carry the offensive side of the game as well. And if that's not the case, then typically a guy like that would be better off playing every day somewhere else. But that's premature."
Edited by nmigliore

Bit of a surprise but Vic Black was optioned. His control has been a mess all spring and his velocity has been down a bit, too. Parnell also continued to sit 88-92 yesterday, per Rubin. This bullpen is going to be such a disaster.

Valverde officially made the team.

Yikes, didn't realize how bad Black was this spring...9.1 IP, 13 H, 11 BB.  Giving up a ton of walks AND hits is a pretty bad sign. 

Mets Twitter is giving away Promenade seats for the first Saturday and Sunday games (next weekend)...you can only get singles though. Too bad I already got a ticket for next Saturday lol

What section? I'm buying tickets for that game in one of the 130's sections (LF) within the next day or two. 

Out of the Wright t-shirt giveaway Friday, the calendar Saturday, and the Wright poster Sunday, the calendar figures to have the most use to me lol. I'm still using last year's I got at the first Saturday game. 

Mazzoni just left the game grabbing his forearm. Not good. Pitchers!

Edited by nmigliore

I think I'm actually in the 130's too lol, have to double check which section later.

Actually I'm in 134...I liked that area last year when I was down there for a game (same one I met you at), and got an aisle seat to boot.  I'll dress more weather-appropriately this time though lol

Edited by NJDevs4978

Terry Collins predicted both Juan Lagares and Eric Young Jr. both will get playing time somehow.

Fun fact: Eric Young Jr. has a lower career OPS+ than Ruben Tejada. Yeah, THE Ruben Tejada, the Ruben Tejada that draws so much ire for being the starting SS. Pretend he played LF but with more speed. That's Eric Young Jr.! Exciting, right?!

Edited by nmigliore

Terry Collins predicted both Juan Lagares and Eric Young Jr. both will get playing time somehow.

Fun fact: Eric Young Jr. has a lower career OPS+ than Ruben Tejada. Yeah, THE Ruben Tejada, the Ruben Tejada that draws so much ire for being the starting SS. Pretend he played LF but with more speed. That's Eric Young Jr.! Exciting, right?!

fvck Terry Collins, fvck Sandy, and fvck the Wilpons.  This offseason and spring training was a complete joke.  EY, Doofus, Davis and Tejada are all still here.  So much for a little thing called ACCOUNTABILITY.  2013 apparently was a great big waste of time, because not one friggin' thing from that season was resolved.  At least we have the young pitching to look forward too.  Hopefully Gee's nice spring translates into the regular season. 

fvck Terry Collins, fvck Sandy, and fvck the Wilpons.  This offseason and spring training was a complete joke.  EY, Doofus, Davis and Tejada are all still here.  So much for a little thing called ACCOUNTABILITY.  2013 apparently was a great big waste of time, because not one friggin' thing from that season was resolved.  At least we have the young pitching to look forward too.  Hopefully Gee's nice spring translates into the regular season. 

and the bullpen will be an unmitigated disaster for the 3rd year in a row (it's going to become like the Devils shootout woes) that's absolutely unacceptable that Sandy can not put together even an average pen by now

You know all those walkoff loses and blown leads we've had to endure for the past few years...well expect more of 'em.

I still would love to figure out what the Mets did with the money they were ready to give Balfour after he took less to go to the Rays. They didn't sign Rodney, who was pretty comparable. They didn't sign anyone with it. I figured it was possible it could go towards Drew but that possibility seems nil at this point. Right back in the pockets of the Wilpons, I guess...

Mets are playing 2 final exhibition games in Montreal vs the Jays tonight and tomorrow afternoon. Games will be on MLB Network. Supposedly a great crowd due. 

Edited by nmigliore

only caught a second of the game...was it his pitching arm?

I still would love to figure out what the Mets did with the money they were ready to give Balfour after he took less to go to the Rays. They didn't sign Rodney, who was pretty comparable. They didn't sign anyone with it. I figured it was possible it could go towards Drew but that possibility seems nil at this point. Right back in the pockets of the Wilpons, I guess...

Mets are playing 2 final exhibition games in Montreal vs the Jays tonight and tomorrow afternoon. Games will be on MLB Network. Supposedly a great crowd due. 

good point. Maybe they stashed it away for down the line if they trade to bring in a player with a large salary...but yea, probably right back into the Wilpons pockets

Do they have to send him back to NY for the x-ray?  Maybe it's my imagination but it seems like every time someone gets hurt in Florida they send him to NY for an x-ray, or when someone gets hurt in NY they send him down to Florida and it's always seemed odd to me.  Like there aren't good MRI machines in NY and Florida.

Do they have to send him back to NY for the x-ray?  Maybe it's my imagination but it seems like every time someone gets hurt in Florida they send him to NY for an x-ray, or when someone gets hurt in NY they send him down to Florida and it's always seemed odd to me.  Like there aren't good MRI machines in NY and Florida.

Injury happened in Montreal this time, but no, he had x-rays locally, supposedly. Sounds like he's okay:

Jenrry Mejia in the clubhouse this morning. No cast or anything.

Edited by nmigliore

I keep forgetting about the exhibitions in Montreal, I wanted to watch at least one of them (I guess the second's tonight).  Couldn't watch last night since I was at that Hockey 101 sth thing for the Devils.

1pm on MLB Network today, Dice-K starting. Pretty great crowd yesterday and another good one expected today. 

Mejia wins the 5th starter spot!

Great, great, great news, whether he succeeds or not.  Time to start getting questions answered, which hasn't been happening at all under Passive's watch.

Well, opening day is upon us. Mets usually do very well on opening day but I'm not feeling extremely optimistic facing Strasburg and that potentially devastating Nats lineup.

Also don't like the "play opening day/off the next" schedule. Not sure why they always do that

Looking at our first 10 games...I would sign for 4-6

Well, opening day is upon us. Mets usually do very well on opening day but I'm not feeling extremely optimistic facing Strasburg and that potentially devastating Nats lineup.

Also don't like the "play opening day/off the next" schedule. Not sure why they always do that

Looking at our first 10 games...I would sign for 4-6

They have to...in case it rains (of course, it can always rain two days in a row, espeically in April).  But I always hated that too (and April baseball in general kind of has a "start/stop" feel to it...of course, good starts always have a way of making that less apparent). 

They probably shouldn't have Opening Days in the Northeast period the first two weeks of the season, but hopefully it gets nicer out for the ones that are going today.

Supposed to be sunny in the afternoon but only about 49 degrees.