OFFICIAL DEVILS FEEDBACK LETTER & RESPONSE

DevilinLA

OKAY GUYS - IT's Finally here :yay::yay::yay:

First, I definately want to thank all the posters who took some time to add ideas, feedback, and suggestions - this is an accumulation of all YOUR work!!! It took about 2 hours but its done!

Second, I'm going to let this hang up here for 24 hours if anyone wants to throw in any last-minute suggestions - I will consider them. If any of the MODS (DM, MSweet, Rowdy) feel that this is "sticky-worthy" for a day I'd appreciate it so it doesn't get lost in the brush. MODS: Also if I'm off on the site facts and statistics please correct me!!!(I petitioned earlier but got no response)

Last, with all due respect, for the "bitch & moan" negative crowd here. I would ask that if you don't have anything POSITIVE or CONSTRUCTIVE to add (i.e. "This is never going to get anywhere..."), just refrain from posting (there is plenty of room for the typical doom and gloom in the UFA threads). I'll take all serious constructive criticism into account before sending it. We are trying (however difficult it is) to affect change.

Its long, but I hope I've done you guys proud!

DEVILS MARKETING & PROMOTIONS FEEDBACK LETTER:

Dear Devils Marketing & Promotions,

Thank you for taking a few moments out of your business day to peruse this letter. We truly hope that you will find the information within to be both informative and useful upon further reading.

Undoubtedly, we can all agree, both as a sports fan base and from a business perspective that game attendance is an important factor in the longevity of a successful hockey franchise. Rest assured, as New Jersey Devils fans, that we share equal concern with franchise management in both general ticket sales, as well as filling the Rock with as many Devils fans as possible in proportion to supporters of the visiting team. Yes, it was extremely painful this past season as true fans to watch some of our favorite Devils players get jeered at a volume level that served only to verify the support in attendance numbers from fans of a certain rival team. In light of these and other similar circumstances this letter should serve not to negatively critique or point blame, but perhaps to provide some insight into what particular incentives, promotions or aspects of the "Rock Experience" were most effective in attracting a sizeable portion of the NJ Devils fan base (many of whom have been around for quite a while) to the Prudential Center on a more consistent basis. It is simply "free feedback" to aid you and your department in achieving our common goal:
Better Game Attendance by more Devils Fans at the Rock.

First, I must begin by accurately stating who we are and who we represent. The information and feedback contained within the following letter represents ideas collected and contributed openly by a group of fans belonging to a popular website entitled: www.NJDEVS.com. We are an organization that supports a community forum/message board site that is dedicated to providing a place where fans of the New Jersey Devils can meet, blog, post news, interact, and essentially create a sense of community with one and other around a common passion for the team. Officially, our membership consists of over 2700 registered users, over 600,000 individual posts, and we continue to draw more and more fans each day since our inception over nearly 7 years ago. Many of our users have a long history as either: Season Ticket Holders (some going back 20+ years), Partial Plan Holders, or frequent game attendees. A good portion of our online community have now relocated to other states or countries, yet still serve to support the organization in other ways via our site. In essence, we'd like to do what we can to help as well. We feel that some constructive feedback could perhaps serve as the first step to achieving even better attendance results.

Let me first begin with the biggest positive. We must adequately thank Mr. Vanderbeek, the community of Newark, and the NJ Devils Organization for providing NJ Devil fans with what we feel is the best accommodations possible in the National Hockey League. The Prudential Center, in scale and design, has surpassed many of our expectations in becoming a building that we can take pride in as Devils fans. From its majestic design both inside and outside, to its unparalleled section of eateries, fine dining, and sports bars, The Rock is truly a testament to the team it was designed for.

Having said this, we feel as fans, that even more can be done to make the "Rock Experience" an irresistible allure for both veteran hockey and new-hockey fans alike. We believe that with some subtle changes there can be a sharp and steady rise in attendance that will fill seats with both the hockey-wise and perhaps even more "new blood". The first list below is comprised of contributions from our users who have summarized "the best" prior New Jersey Devils promotional/marketing ideas or incentives over the years. These were chosen upon the criteria of:

1.) Helped to make for a truly enjoyable game experience and memorable night

2.) An attractive incentive to attend that particular game

Previous Successful Promotions (Things We Really Liked Over the Years):

1.) Dollar Soda/Hot Dogs Deal. Great promotion and got a good turnout for a game against the PHX Coyotes

2.) Commemorative Prints for both Opening and Scott Stevens Night

3.) Stanley Cup Mini Banners

4.) Cup and Banner Raising Nights

5.) Ken Daneyko Bobblehead Night

6.) Life Size Chico Posters (circa 1984)

7.) Magnetic Schedule Night

8.) Free Rally Towels (no Thundersticks)

9.) Free Microwavable Mugs (sponsored w/ Campbell

Edited by DevilinLA

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what I am wondering. If any of the STH can call up the devs and schedule a meeting with someone like Terry Farmer or Dave Beck and present this EXCELLENT letter as well as us mailing it in. I think there are some of us that have some clout. I for one do not, my father has had season tix now for 20+ yrs and has even done some marketing work for them. He is in the process of transferring ownership of the seats to my brother and I but I can see what he can do. Maybe I can play the role of Mr. CMONBRENT and get in to meet with someone

Great job DevilinLA.

You planning on sending it snail mail?

Cuz I've heard (on this board) before that Lou reads/responds to ALL the snail mail he gets. "If someone takes the time to hand write me I think they deserve a reply" or something of the sort,

So, I would recommend sending a copy to Lou too. And, being as it is a long, typed up letter, it may not hurt having a handwritten note in the one to Lou to make it more personable and more likely to be read.

Lou is really good with the snail mail. In January I wrote him to tell him I was going to attend the Sharks game and that I would like to shake his hand for all the good times he has provided Devils fans. Needless to say, in between the 1st and 2nd periods, I got to do just that. Really cool.

Less dancing girls???

WHAT????????????????

Otherwise one of the most erudite posts I've seen on this site

Indeed! How can you reduce that!? :noclue:

You planning on sending it snail mail?

Cuz I've heard (on this board) before that Lou reads/responds to ALL the snail mail he gets. "If someone takes the time to hand write me I think they deserve a reply" or something of the sort,

So, I would recommend sending a copy to Lou too. And, being as it is a long, typed up letter, it may not hurt having a handwritten note in the one to Lou to make it more personable and more likely to be read.

Why send it to Lou at all? Send it to Vanderbeek! Lou clearly does not believe in this stuff but Vanderbeek likely does.

---

Anyways, good job overall and good luck!

BTW, it's NJDEVS.com, not NJ.DEVS.com....

Can't tell you how many Devils Christmas Ornaments I have on my tree every year. From the free give-aways to the Cup Champ ones I bought. Unfortunately it seems 1 breaks every year. Would love to have those give-aways again, as well as the coffee mug mentioned.

Good luck, well thought out letter.

Great job, dude!

I wonder if this would be even more impressive if you attached a sheet with the names, addresses, phone numbers, emails of any of us who wished to sign on? ... I realize that would delay things a bit.

As someone already mentioned, hopefully you are sending the letter to Vanderbeek and not just Lou. Or you could send out copies to multiple people.

Thanks guys, I'm glad that most of you are happy with it.

I'm going to leave it up until Wed. night, at which point I'll send it off.

Any more comments, corrections, or criticisms are more than welcome!!!!!!!! :dance:

Lou is really good with the snail mail. In January I wrote him to tell him I was going to attend the Sharks game and that I would like to shake his hand for all the good times he has provided Devils fans. Needless to say, in between the 1st and 2nd periods, I got to do just that. Really cool.

I'll plan to do it. do you have an a mailing address you can PM me.

Indeed! How can you reduce that!? :noclue:

Why send it to Lou at all? Send it to Vanderbeek! Lou clearly does not believe in this stuff but Vanderbeek likely does.

---

Anyways, good job overall and good luck!

BTW, it's NJDEVS.com, not NJ.DEVS.com....

Thnkas. Fixed it. copies going to both Jeff and Lou.

Looks good, hope you get a response and hopefully they use some of these ideas.

One thing though, it's Emrick, not Emmerick. Might want to fix that before you send it out. And cheesesteak instead of cheesteak..Chico might be disappointed.

Thanks - Fixed as well.

I just mailed it the Prudential Center (the Mulberry St. address) c/o Lou.

What???? Are you kidding me???

I wanted to both proof this thing and let the majority of the board add any thoughts first.

I asked for an address, not for someone to send it YET!!!

PLEASE - NO ONE ELSE SEND THIS ANYWHERE UNTIL I'M SET w/a final revision!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please ask me!

Edited by DevilinLA

What???? Are you kidding me???

I wanted to both proof this thing and let the majority of the board add any thoughts first.

I asked for an address, not for someone to send it YET!!!

PLEASE - NO ONE ELSE SEND THIS ANYWHERE UNTIL I'M SET w/a final revision!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please ask me!

You misunderstood me. I meant I sent my letter to him at that addy, not YOUR letter.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.