Players for whom you have outsized memories?

AEWHistory

Here is the idea: what players, if any, do you have outsized, disproportionate, or just badly flawed memories compared to their actual accomplishments? Maybe this player played in a game important to your youth, or they played in a big game, etc. they can be Devils or from other teams. This is my favorite example:

Ken Holland- back when I was a kid I clipped newspaper articles from the Trentonian and clipped a pic of Holland in goal. I'm not sure why I did this, but the Wings really sucked back then and I had a soft spot for the (other) losers in the NHL in the '80s. Anywho, I had always assumed that Holland had something of a career since I've been looking at his pick for about thirty years. Then, on a whim, I looked him up recently. He played FOUR games in the NHL. That's it. So for years I had this kiddie memory of him being a member of the Wings in the '80s when, more accurately, he was a perennial minor leaguer who got a rare call up. I just happened to clip his pic and the rest was history.

So okay folks, who else is ready to admit they've got a faulty memory? Btw, does anyone else even remember Holland? You're disqualified if you are, in fact, Ken Holland, his spouse, children, or extended family. :)

Edited by AEWHistory

Slightly different than AEW's, but Ari Ahohen.

Because I was a fanatic player of the NHL games as a kid, and I had him on.. it must've been NHL 2000.  He had beast potential, and he grew to be a 99 overall a few seasons in.  So, logically, 5th grader me assumed he'd do the same in real life within a few years.  I didn't collect any memorabilia or anything (probably because there really wasn't any) but I was always watching and waiting for him to come and take the NHL by storm.

I was actually worried he'd take Brodeur's spot.  I was actually conflicted over this.

Slightly different than AEW's, but Ari Ahohen.

Because I was a fanatic player of the NHL games as a kid, and I had him on.. it must've been NHL 2000.  He had beast potential, and he grew to be a 99 overall a few seasons in.  So, logically, 5th grader me assumed he'd do the same in real life within a few years.  I didn't collect any memorabilia or anything (probably because there really wasn't any) but I was always watching and waiting for him to come and take the NHL by storm.

I was actually worried he'd take Brodeur's spot.  I was actually conflicted over this.

I felt the same, except it was with JF Damphousse. For some reason, I thought he'd be the man and we'd have 2 major goalies. 

Of course, I also thought the Devils messed up big letting Corey Schwab go. I've always loved back up goalies :giggle:.

As a teenager, I thought Dennis Pederson was a big deal for some reason, but that may be because he wore my #56 in training camp. 

Edited by Devil Dan 56

Always have had a soft spot for Peluso.  My 2nd ever Devils jersey was a white starter jersey with his name on it that I had customized at Sports Minded Unlimited (they used to send it to someone down the shore from what I remember).

I remember also being high on Dagenais as well as Berglund (not as much as Pierre though).  Dagenais later became a serviceable NHLer in Montreal years later and then his career pretty much fizzled.  He later emerged as the all-time record holder in FHL history for most goals in a single season (81 goals, 62 assists in 45 games in 11-12 season lol)

Edited by DevsMan84

Colin White - He was my first favorite player...  I loved the physical stay at home d-man.   He was a decent Devil; but I was far too much of a fanboy...  I still wear his jersey.

Mike Commodore - I wanted to add Commodore to my favorite player list early and was bummed when he was traded - but hey, he was part of the Jeff Friesen trade.

JF Damphousse- I was sure he'd be our #1 and periodically google him to remind myself of where/what he is coaching now, etc

Colin White - He was my first favorite player...  I loved the physical stay at home d-man.   He was a decent Devil; but I was far too much of a fanboy...  I still wear his jersey.

Mike Commodore - I wanted to add Commodore to my favorite player list early and was bummed when he was traded - but hey, he was part of the Jeff Friesen trade.

JF Damphousse- I was sure he'd be our #1 and periodically google him to remind myself of where/what he is coaching now, etc

Yeah JF Damphousse played for the Moncton Wildcats where i live so i was super excited that he was gonna play for my fav team, same with Patrice Cormier but well.... lol

Corey Millen because he was so small and fast. First time I saw a player of that size with what I thought to be great skill. When i found out he used to play w the rags was the first time I remember going from liking to disliking a player.

Edited by devlman

Sylvain Turgeon. I was at one of the open practices at South Mountain Arena and he handed me his broken stick. I think I've sensationalised his career as a Devil since that moment.

Ha- I also have a broken stick of Sylvain Turgeon, autographed by most of the '89 Devils. My dad got it from a friend of his who knew Johnny Mac from some business dealings they had. I got it when I was 10, and I still have it. [emoji1]

Oh and the guy I remember severely overrating as a kid was Troy Crowder. He beat the sh!t out of people which I thought was fvcking awesome, and I was mad that the Devils let him go. I was in like 5th or 6th grade at the time. I knew who Dave Barr was because I had his hockey card. I had no idea who Randy McKay was. In retrospect, I'd say that worked out okay for us lol. EDIT: actually come to think of it, we got Barr in a trade for Paul Yseabaert. McKay was compensation for Crowder signing with Detroit.

Edited by MadDog2020

Ha! I got a good one.

Matt Taormina was... awesome. In my mind, he was the second coming of Scott Niedermayer. I cranked his stats up and killed it with him in NHL video games. He was my profile pic on the site. One day, my dad gets me a new devils jersey as an early present with a gift card to personalize it in the Devils den. Oh man, 100% I was gonna get Tao's 20. The day before the game, I posted about it on the board. Someone, I don't know who, said "well, if he turns out to be really good, chances are he will get a lower number next season". I decided that was plausible and I'd just wait a few years to buy the Taormina jersey with the "C" on the crest, it was inevitable.

Still don't remember why I was obsessed. He had an OT goal I think decently early in his career?

He had an OT goal I think against Buffalo on a set up from Kovy. It was early 10-11 amidst our troubles.

I think I have the opposite memory of Chris Terreri. When I was a young kid just breaking into hockey, I remember him as Marty's backup. One game he must've let up a few goals pretty quick the first time I remember anyone besides Marty in net, and that was it. No one was quite as terrible as he was to me. I have inflated memories of Clemmer, like a lot of you guys remembering Ari Ahonen and Corey Schwab, I thought he was going to be big time.For some reason, Arturs Irbe always sticks out for me remembering him being fantastic in Carolina's 02 run when they knocked us out in the first round no problem.

Most of my oversized memories are of old Nets and Mets players. Keith Van Horn I'll always think was unstoppable. Mehmet Okur when the Jazz made that run to the conference finals. And back in the Mets glory days, my favorite players were guys like Xavier Nady, Paul Lo Duca, Oliver Perez. God, that 06 team. I'll also always think Nick Markakis is the best right fielder in the majors. And if Bob Stumpo ever breaks into the league, watch the fvck out. A few doubles up in Lakewood is apparently all it takes for me.

Sergei Brylin. I went from a casual fan to a diehard after the 2000 Stanley Cup run so my first season really watching was Brylin's best. In my mind, he's a perennial 20 goal, 40 point player when that's nowhere near the truth. Still love Sarge though. Really need to get his jersey one of these days.