The Official Bobby Holik Adds Toughness Thread

Triumph

you mean when he's costing us playoff games?

holik took 2 offensive zone penalties tonight. it's absolutely unacceptable. since returning from injury he has 17 minor penalties in 27 games. it cannot go on like this.

What Holik provides to this team is accountability, and when it gets to the playoffs he'll be riding everyone - including himself. Should he continue to take stupid penalties I would expect him to say that he should be benched for it.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

huh? gives the devils momentum? i'd much rather have 2 minutes of hockey where it's 15% where my team scores a goal.

he has been lucky that the penalties he's taking are being killed off but he can't control that. 17 minors translates to something between 2 and 3 goals against (and that's excepting the not-insignificant difference between even strength goals/60 and shorthanded goals/60 over the course of those minutes - probably works out to 1 goal or so).

Tri, if you don't think that line's been helpful to this team than I don't know what to tell you. HAve they taken penalties, sure. Can they cut down, yes and they will. In the playoffs, I doubt most of the calls they are getting now will be made. Are you saying 15% of the fourth line shifts in the league account for a goal?. You can throw stats around all you want, but they are all hypothetical. That line is playing well. They are defensively responsible and bang around.

Tri, if you don't think that line's been helpful to this team than I don't know what to tell you. HAve they taken penalties, sure. Can they cut down, yes and they will. In the playoffs, I doubt most of the calls they are getting now will be made. Are you saying 15% of the fourth line shifts in the league account for a goal?. You can throw stats around all you want, but they are all hypothetical. That line is playing well. They are defensively responsible and bang around.

The number of power plays per game (per team) was 4.28 last season.

The number of power plays in the playoffs last season was 4.4 per game.

So I expect everything getting called on Holik to continue well into the post-season.

Holik is a -3, so he's still been on the ice for more goals than his line has scored.

I am saying the line has played okay but that Holik's overall usefulness cannot be understated. He wins a few faceoffs. He intimidates a few defensemen. He takes a ton of penalties and is slow. I'm not expecting goal scoring, but I do expect that line to draw some penalties/break even in terms of GF/GA (especially if they are up against other 4th lines). I'd be curious to see Rupp, Shanahan, and Holik's penalty plus/minus at the end of the year.

The number of power plays per game (per team) was 4.28 last season.

The number of power plays in the playoffs last season was 4.4 per game.

So I expect everything getting called on Holik to continue well into the post-season.

Holik is a -3, so he's still been on the ice for more goals than his line has scored.

I am saying the line has played okay but that Holik's overall usefulness cannot be understated. He wins a few faceoffs. He intimidates a few defensemen. He takes a ton of penalties and is slow. I'm not expecting goal scoring, but I do expect that line to draw some penalties/break even in terms of GF/GA (especially if they are up against other 4th lines). I'd be curious to see Rupp, Shanahan, and Holik's penalty plus/minus at the end of the year.

I'll go as far to say that our 4th line's physical play, particularly Holik, is directly responsible for wearing down the opposing team enough for the top two Devil lines to be a step quicker and create more opportunities.

You can say that we are succeeding because of Parise, Elias or Zajac's breakout season, but I think the addition of Bobby Holik is directly related in an intangible context. Until then one can pick and choose stats to illustrate anything the are trying to sell.

I'll go as far to say that our 4th line's physical play, particularly Holik, is directly responsible for wearing down the opposing team enough for the top two Devil lines to be a step quicker and create more opportunities.

You can say that we are succeeding because of Parise, Elias or Zajac's breakout season, but I think the addition of Bobby Holik is directly related in an intangible context. Until then one can pick and choose stats to illustrate anything the are trying to sell.

I have the image of Letang hobbling off the ice after Holik just railed him a couple times in a game against the Pens earlier this season.

Is he perfect? No. Does he take too many penalties? Probably. Has he helped this team more than he hurt it? In my opinion, yes.

i like the fact that Bobby could give a sh!t about the super bowl...

football...a bunch of roid robots and human pig people in crash helmets, tight pants, dumb ass comercial every 10 seconds...lol!

http://njmg.typepad.com/devilsblog/2009/02...-bandwagon.html

Devils riding on Cardinals' bandwagon

My survey of the locker room today revealed that about two thirds of the Devils are picking the Arizona Cardinals to upset the Steelers in the Super Bowl today.

Only two players didn't provide predictions. Brendan Shanahan claimed not to know who was playing before picking, "The Argos." Bobby Holik said, "I don't care."

perhaps he's been listening to "Rocket to Russia" lately...

Edited by ice dog

Without Holik: 55 goals in 18 games - 3.05 goals per game

With Holik: 102 goals in 32 games - 3.18 goals per game

keep in mind, of course, there was no Shanahan or Rolston while Holik was out.

Look, I love Holik's physical play, but to think that taking an average of a minor penalty every 2 games is acceptable is just lunacy. Cam Janssen didn't even do that. We've had plenty of guys here play physical without doing that. It's not an either-or proposition.

Edited by Triumph

Maybe it is time that Holik needs to be a healthy scratch. One of the next couple of games sit him, move Rupp to center and put Pandolfo back in.

as tony soprano might say, holik's penalty-taking is kind of the 400-pound elephant in the room. i haven't heard chico comment on it, it hasn't been mentioned on TG's blog, i've not heard sutter make reference to it. it's like it isn't there. but this guy (or shanahan) is going to cost us a playoff game.

as tony soprano might say, holik's penalty-taking is kind of the 400-pound elephant in the room. i haven't heard chico comment on it, it hasn't been mentioned on TG's blog, i've not heard sutter make reference to it. it's like it isn't there. but this guy (or shanahan) is going to cost us a playoff game.

You're about seven years too late with that prediction...Game 5, 2002 against Carolina :P

for a change, tonight holik actually took a defensive zone penalty where he thought it was 2000 and he was defending against mats sundin with a few well-placed hooks.

whereas we can skate with the opponent's stick attached to our guts and not get a call. He's getting targeted, as are we as a team. Not saying he's always being smart, because he's not, but it's getting borderline farcical now.

for a change, tonight holik actually took a defensive zone penalty where he thought it was 2000 and he was defending against mats sundin with a few well-placed hooks.

whereas we can skate with the opponent's stick attached to our guts and not get a call. He's getting targeted, as are we as a team. Not saying he's always being smart, because he's not, but it's getting borderline farcical now.

this thread was tough to find since it had been a whole one game since holik took a penalty. but tonight he got back into the 6th column with a silly goalie interference penalty.

what i don't understand is that if holik were a rookie he'd be benched for these things. i did see him miss a shift in the 2nd, but there he was starting the third period.

Edited by Triumph

this thread was tough to find since it had been a whole one game since holik took a penalty. but tonight he got back into the 6th column with a silly goalie interference penalty.

i couldnt find it either for some reason.. i went back like 3 pages but gave up, i musta missed it unless it was beyond page 3. anyway, another o-zone penalty and they scored on the pp. :doh1:

Edited by nmigliore

what i don't understand is that if holik were a rookie he'd be benched for these things. i did see him miss a shift in the 2nd, but there he was starting the third period.

according to TG, he was benched for the rest of the 2nd after the penalty:

http://njmg.typepad.com/devilsblog/2009/02...t-benching.html

When I asked Bobby Holik after the game about being bench for the last 13:45 of the second period after his goaltender interference penalty led to Kyle Okposo's power-play goal, he pretended as if it didn't happen.

"I don't know what you're talking about," he said. "Maybe it was a strategy."

Holik did come back to take a regular shift in the third, but Devils coach Brent Sutter said the only strategy involved was trying to get a point across to Holik.

"You can't take penalties like that," Sutter said. "Those are going to be called. It's in the offensive zone and you can't take offensive-zone penalties."