2013 Jets Thread

NJDevs4978

Yes could call on that Beez. I hope the Jets scoop up Leonhard to shore up the safety position.

Also, they cut Obomanu and kept Harrell? Huh? Obomanu looked very good in pre season and we still have Simms behind Smith.

Could mean Holmes is ready to go week 1, or they just scoop up Braylon again.

I think Geno at his age and experience level, likely beat out Sanchez for the job anyway just by going by training camp stats. What does that say about Sanchez going into his 5th year? At least Smith has plenty of room for improvement. If he's even with Sanchez now, then I'm fine with starting him even if he's "not ready". It means Sanchez is not ready either.

Quinn and Simms at 2 and 3...fine with that.

Geno starting the season is a disaster waiting to happen imo.  If you started Sanchez at least you could know he's disposable in a worst-case then bring Geno in after 5-6 games to be the savior with far less pressure.  However, the pressure'll be intense off the hop now.  A 3-4 INT game in Week 1 with Revis likely getting at least one will get everyone thinking 'same ol' nonsense'.  As Sanchez has shown, once you fall in a hole with the NY crowd it's pretty hard to get out.  That preseason game with the Giants already threw out a bunch of red flags.

Plus what happens if Geno bombs the first 5-6 games?   You can't very well go back to Sanchez as a dead man walking.  

Edited by NJDevs4978

Geno starting the season is a disaster waiting to happen imo. If you started Sanchez at least you could know he's disposable in a worst-case then bring Geno in after 5-6 games to be the savior with far less pressure. However, the pressure'll be intense off the hop now. A 3-4 INT game in Week 1 with Revis likely getting at least one will get everyone thinking 'same ol' nonsense'. As Sanchez has shown, once you fall in a hole with the NY crowd it's pretty hard to get out. That preseason game with the Giants already threw out a bunch of red flags.

Plus what happens if Geno bombs the first 5-6 games? You can't very well go back to Sanchez as a dead man walking.

The other reason starting Geno Smith right now might be a disaster is because he's not a good quarterback to begin with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Not sure if Jets fans are familiar with Manish Mehta, but this is the clown that Chris Christie, when Christie made an appearance on the WFAN, ripped on about a week ago...of course, with the media being the incestuous protective clan that they are, Lupica and others immediately came to his defense.

Well, here's the latest bit of nonsense this complete zilch of a "sports journalist" came up with:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-rex-cutting-jets-clemson-shows-losing-interest-influence-article-1.1444054

In a way, I know me even mentioning this is a win for both Mehta and the NY Daily News, because he's a tabloid writer working for a tabloid paper, and the ONLY thing a rag outfit like that cares about is that you're talking about its authors and/or articles...doesn't matter if it's good or bad, just talk.  But this Mehta - clearly yet another wanna-be who was probably always the last one picked to play ANY sport when he was a kid, when he actually WAS picked - is a complete joke of a beat writer, an absolute assclown, much in mold of Neverson.  Same as Neverson, whenever this douche wants to try to support an idea of his, he goes to the good ol' standby "a source says...sources say...blah blah blah"...as we all know, once a writer does that, he can say just about anything he wants...doesn't matter if it's at all true or factual.  But it's the whole central theme of the article that is so off-base...heaven forbid Rex actually goes to his son's friggin' FOOTBALL game (may be the only one he's able to get to this season) without some wanna-be little zilch nudge writer jumping all over him for it, and trying to make a story out of it. 

And these pen-chewing DORKS (and that's what most of these sportswriters are, unathletic dorks who haven't the slightest idea about what it's really like to play in sporting events at the highest level, let alone coach or build to try to build a winning team, but seem to know exactly what these athletes and everyone else involved should be doing on and off the field at all times), probably still harboring bitterness that they were never allowed to play, come up with articles like this that are nothing but just pure absolute garbage, dreck and drivel...and they wonder why some athletes don't want to spare them so much as an innocuous quote.  As much as Tortorella could be a douche in his own right, one only has to read Larry Brooks' articles and see him to understand why Torts wanted nothing to do with him.       

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Most fans on the Jets board I post on absolutely cannot stand Mehta (or Rich Cimini for that matter). They see these guys as having an agenda and being arrogantly negative all the time. However just cause they always go the anon source route doesn't mean they don't have someone feeding them info too. It became the world's most well known secret that former defensive coordinator Mike Pettine was the source for most of Mehta's hack jobs last year.

That said it is a bit unusual to skip out on cut day, at least it seems that way just from watching Hard Knocks, maybe the coach isn't in the room for every single cut but he's usually around for at least some. And there is some truth to the 'Rex has been muzzled' theory when you compare his demeanor and openness from a couple years ago till now. But if the organization gave its blessing to Rex not being there then ultimately it's not a big deal.

FWIW, Mike Golic said, under the circumstances, it's not that big a deal. 

Otherwise, the article is crap.  It's not that hard to find an anonymous source to say something bad about someone. 

Things like this are only a fiasco because a few guys with keyboards say it is.

FWIW, Mike Golic said, under the circumstances, it's not that big a deal. 

Otherwise, the article is crap.  It's not that hard to find an anonymous source to say something bad about someone. 

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/plenty_first_criticize_about_rex_lxrNNlDijQ8lziQ4eDfDlN

Manish is getting killed by just about everybody these days.. but the fact that he's now getting ripped in today's article by his fellow people is telling. He's completely lost his credibility, and now his peers are distancing themselves from him.

Won't be long now before he's moved off the beat. His blog comments are bare.. his tweets never get retweeted anymore.. and judging by the way he posts the same link to what he wrote 6 times, his hit count(s) for his articles must be low too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhHI4Q_UXoo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEW6GQWFHl8

That said it is a bit unusual to skip out on cut day, at least it seems that way just from watching Hard Knocks, maybe the coach isn't in the room for every single cut but he's usually around for at least some.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/9631561/rex-ryan-new-york-jets-laughs-cutdown-day-controversy

..cuts were made Friday. Mehta's a clown.

Edited by Beezer34

Geno = Akili Smith 2.0

Akili Smith was considered a reach at the time, (or he kind of came out of nowhere), and was the number 3 pick.

Geno is a second round draft pick that isn't getting paid a ton of money.  He's not the type of draft pick that will force you to forego drafting or signing a better quarterback if the opportunity arises, i.e. the Jets don't have to give him a chance.  If the Jets, and hence Geno Smith, stink this year, it shouldn't stop the Jets from drafting Teddy Bridgewater.

Thoughts

The Jets D-Line isn't just good. It's TERRIFYING. The Bucs have an above average line and the Jets manhandled them today. Bucs guards and tackles were being tossed around and trucked like pieces of garbage. I absolutely can't wait to see it when Coples gets back. Every time martin had the ball he had 4 Jets in his face

Secondary...meh. Milliner had a rough game at times. Wasn't bad, wasn't great. Still needs some time to gel.

Bad call by Rex with the sellout blitz which led to the Vincent Jackson big gainer. They saw it coming a mile away, hot route, once Landry missed that tackle Jackson could've taken it to the house

Clock management...seems like the Jets got a bit scrambly when Tampa had it in their territory late. Apparently Rex was trying to flag the ref down to get a TO but they didn't hear/see him. So I'll give him a pass

Running game, non existent. Hopefully Goodson helps when he comes back. I think against some weaker fronts Ivory/Powell can be productive, but Tampa was too physical for them

Tremendous job by Folk. Huge clutch kick

Stephen Hill, 6 catches, 0 drops

Kellen Winslow...we have a nice safety valve for Geno

Geno overall had an up and down game. But he already looks to be as polished (if not moreso) than Sanchez. Didn't force anything into triple coverage...THREW THE BALL AWAY. He was hung out to dry a few times when we didn't pick up blitzes. Does hold the ball a bit long but has good escapability as well. He's smarter with the football. But I didn't see any of those glaring overthrows and just flat out not seeing wide open guys like with Sanchez

Tampa with a few dirty hits in the secondary. Scumbags

Thank you Marty Mornhingweg for taking advantage of tampa's over pursuit with some well timed screens!

I wasn't crazy about the third down Kerley wildcat pass early in the game but other than that can't really get on the playcalling at all...Powell and Ivory were just bleh running the ball but I guess that's to be expected against a top run D.  

That was about as good as you could have hoped for from Geno, a lot better than I thought he'd be capable of after the Giants disaster.  Maybe some of his issues were due to the ankle in preseason.  He certainly knew when to run it and when to slide.  Sweet game from Winslow too.

I wasn't crazy about the third down Kerley wildcat pass early in the game but other than that can't really get on the playcalling at all...Powell and Ivory were just bleh running the ball but I guess that's to be expected against a top run D.  

That was about as good as you could have hoped for from Geno, a lot better than I thought he'd be capable of after the Giants disaster.  Maybe some of his issues were due to the ankle in preseason.  He certainly knew when to run it and when to slide.  Sweet game from Winslow too.

We also won with Holmes being completely neutralized (Revis + Injury...what can you do) I think when we play teams with more mediocre secondary's...you'll see them sling the ball around more.

I was wondering if we'd have ANY receivers left after that idiot Goldson was running around taking cheap shots all day but I guess that's no surprise considering who his head coach is.  Schiano and Jim Schwartz are the two dirtiest coaches in the league.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I was wondering if we'd have ANY receivers left after that idiot Goldson was running around taking cheap shots all day but I guess that's no surprise considering who his head coach is.  Schiano and Jim Schwartz are the two dirtiest coaches in the league.

Yea I was thinking Idzik was already on the phone scheduling Braylong Edwards Part IV (he may be anyway) Goldson is a clown, and if there's any karma he'll knock himself silly with some of those torpedo helmet to helmet shots.

I'm hoping he gets at least a fine

Edited by '7'

NJDevs4978, this is a good time for your team to take on the Pats.  They are not jelling yet.  I can't see that magically getting better in a short week.  That offense needs practice, practice and more practice.

Great game by our boys.. but now it's time to beat New England.

In a way, I'm glad that we play them on the short week.. it allows that momentum to carry over quicker. Ideally I would've prefered Sanchez going against NE this week, but what are you going to do. Maybe Geno shows us his best in 3 days. Even one pick I can live with, but if he turns the ball over twice again, that may be one too many to beat the Pats. I will say this about GS though.. what he lacks in exp. he makes up for with his legs. That guy can run! -and that's something that defenses will have to keep an eye on. Maybe NE will put a spy on him, which would open up the receivers a bit.

It's only 1 game though, so I'm not going to get crazy. (yet) We were 1-0 the past two seasons, and look how they turned out. Likewise, we were 0-1 in 2010! :P

The Jets D-Line isn't just good. It's TERRIFYING. The Bucs have an above average line and the Jets manhandled them today. Bucs guards and tackles were being tossed around and trucked like pieces of garbage. I absolutely can't wait to see it when Coples gets back. Every time martin had the ball he had 4 Jets in his face

Running game, non existent. Hopefully Goodson helps when he comes back. I think against some weaker fronts Ivory/Powell can be productive, but Tampa was too physical for

Thank you Marty Mornhingweg for taking advantage of tampa's over pursuit with some well timed screens!

Tampa's front seven is very good.. so I expect the running game to improve a bit. I know it's only 1 game, but the Jets d-line looks incredible. This will also make life a bit easier on the secondary, and help mitigate the loss of Revis. I've been waiting 8 years for a legit pass rush, and it looks like we now may have one.

..and MM may be the biggest acqusition this franchise has made since Tuna. The guy can call an offense based on whoever is the QB.. simple as that!

Yea I was thinking Idzik was already on the phone scheduling Braylon Edwards Part IV (he may be anyway)

I think Braylon & Brady Quinn coming back tomorrow are two foregone conclusions. Hill, Kerley, & Gates are all banged up.. and Holmes really doesn't look like Holmes yet either. Plus it wouldn't hurt to give NE some psychological unease to have him on the field.

Edited by Beezer34