Official 2013 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

Whoa? That has to be Photoshopped or something. I saw the replay a bunch of times in HD last night and it CLEARLY hit the orange top of the wall. Where did you find that .gif? That's definitely a fake. 

Here is HD footage from MLB.com, again clearly hits the top of the wall it couldn't even be more obvious honestly: http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=28519333&game_pk=undefined

it's from the D-backs feed. If you look very closely at the above link...freeze it at 0.05 seconds in when the Arizona outfielder has both hands in the air, you will see the ricochet as the ball changes directions

Whoa? That has to be Photoshopped or something. I saw the replay a bunch of times in HD last night and it CLEARLY hit the orange top of the wall. Where did you find that .gif? That's definitely a fake. 

Here is HD footage from MLB.com, again clearly hits the top of the wall it couldn't even be more obvious honestly: http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=28519333&game_pk=undefined

Yeah, agree here.  Clearly hits the orange.

I think Ike probably expected to be called up after that HR streak, and has been slowly stewing since then (as evidence his tantrum the other night that got him ejected in the 6th)

Waaaah, maybe he should've done more than hit .160 or so for the first 10 weeks of the season, for the SECOND year in a row.  Want to come back up?  Then stop sulking and starting hitting.  fvcking clown.

Yeah, I think right after Doofus went on the DL Ike had his little tiff.

Ike should realize he has no one but himself to blame.  Mets were patient to a fault with him.  Guess he thought a good week or week and a half hitting in a hitter's league would be enough.  Like I said, I think it would be incredibly unfair to Satin to have to sit in favor of Ike.  I don't care what Ike's pedigree is...guy has to learn you don't get to keep doing next to nothing for the first 10 or 11 weeks of the season.  If Ike hadn't sucked so damned much, the door doesn't open for a guy like Satin...hell, it took Doofus (another guy who didn't deserve to keep playing) getting hurt before Satin really got a fair shot. 

BTW, Satin's minor league numbers are pretty good, though he doesn't hit many home runs at a position that usually demands power.  He hits for good average, gets on base (.398 career OB% in the minors)...I know he's kind of bounced all over the infield (most of his minor-league games were at 2B, with the second-most at 1B), so I'm not sure if fielding was an issue for him. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Tomorrow could be the day the Mets bring back Ike since this string of facing LHP will end. I really hope it doesn't happen. He's fallen back down to Earth in Vegas and Satin has been doing fine. Somebody made the point on another board but it really sends a bad message if you bring him up.

CR hit it on the head: he's started the last two seasons so badly, he really should just shut up and stop complaining. Go produce in Vegas for a couple months, or at least until Satin's magic runs comes to end, and then we'll talk.

And regarding Satin, I'm so happy to see him having this success. He was always a complete afterthought as a prospect since he was old for every level but all he did was hit as he moved up. It's a major success he's even in the Majors, let alone on a nice hot-streak like this.

imho the crew chief handled this poorly. They played late into the night yesterday. The Mets had a 1-0 lead it was an official game, they don't call it. DBacks tie. Mets go up 2-1, bases loaded nobody out. They don't even let the situation play out, call for a delay and now it's 10:30 and they still haven't resumed. I mean how late are they going to make them play tonight? They should've just called it for the Mets.

Last 34 GP:  18-16

Hefner's ERA drops for the ninth straight start.  It was at 5.00 when the streak began.  It's now down to 3.54.  He has a 2.40 ERA in his last 9 starts.  Unbelievable.  Good for him. 

Re:  Satin/Ike, Satin is one of the guys who is making the Mets watchable right now.  Ike was one of the guys that made you want to ram a fist into your TV.  Sorry Ike, but I think the days of the first baseman's job being yours to lose is over, and it's your fault that they are.  I know this is only temporary...all it's going to take is Satin having one bad week and Ike shredding AAA pitching for that to change, which I think is unfair to Satin, because he's not going to keep hitting .390, and every hitter endures a slump at some point.  It is going to seem extremely unfair if Satin goes, say, 3-for-23 or something like that over a 6-game stretch, while Ike goes crazy over the same period in AAA, and quickly gets his job back, especially since Ike got 55 friggin' games to try to get his act together.  I get the impression that Ike already feels some entitlement that he shouldn't really have when it comes to first base for the Mets...I agree with nmig that bringing him back relatively quickly would set a crappy example.  At the very least, I think Ike should be made to stay in Vegas for a while just to let him know that you can't be invisible for months at a time at the major-league level, have a few solid AAA weeks, and think you can just reclaim your job at the expense of the guy who not waited patiently to get his chance, but is doing the job light-years better than you did.  Kinda nice to have someone who isn't a strikeout machine in the lineup for a change. 

Of course Cody Ross hits a 3-run HR. Mets giving Harvey little run support as usual.

Also, Harvey at 100 pitches and just had a long inning. But I'm sure we'll see him back out there to start the 7th because TC loves pushing arms.

Edited by nmigliore

There really needs to be an edict from Sandy, that if Harvey is at 100 he doesn't start an inning. No exception. Shame Collins needs to be told this but I guess he's just too stupid.

A bit too simplistic, in that there's obvious exceptions to this rule...if the Mets are up 5-0 going into the 9th inning and Harvey's thrown around 100 pitches and has had an easy time doing it, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

I am guessing last night, with the Mets being down by one run going into the 7th, Terry was hoping Harvey could get through the 7th unscathed, and that the Mets could come back in their half and get Harvey in position for a win.  I don't agree with the thinking at all...Matt had faced seven batters and had given up 3 runs in that 6th...and his pitch count was up there.  The rain delay probably threw him off too. 

I understand your frustration fully though...Collins has mishandled Harvey twice in the last four starts, and that mishandling has led to five runs against Harvey's record that were completely unnecessary.  Unfortunately, as the Mets begin to show signs of improvement (18-17 in their last 35 GP), Collins is going to be exposed for the caretaking stopgap no one else wanted. 

Ike went 3-for-4 last night, and as nmig mentioned, homered for the second straight game.  Ike's overall numbers admittedly look pretty good, but he's playing in a hitter's league, and it's fair to expect that a guy who had some considerable major-league experience was going to have success against lesser competition.  I'm glad the Mets haven't brought him back yet.

Mets are on pace for exactly 70 wins, which is pretty much what I think all of us were expecting.  It'd be nice if the Mets could have a 41-40 second half or something like that, finish up within 10 games of .500 on the season.  It's a longshot...I think many of Zack's starts are going to result in losses. 

Lyon:  good riddance.

I agree, I don't like Davis getting this second chance so quickly.  Satin deserves better...he's done nothing to warrant a cut in his playing time. 

Lyon:  good riddance.

I agree, I don't like Davis getting this second chance so quickly.  Satin deserves better...he's done nothing to warrant a cut in his playing time. 

In a way though, I do understand the Davis stuff. He's making a little more than $3M this season and would project to make a similar amount next season if tendered a contract; at this point the Mets have to figure out if he's worth keeping, non-tendering, or trading. You don't want just give Ike away free because of a $3M pricetag in 2014 but you also don't want to waste that money on what might be a worthless roster spot. Now is the time to find out.

It stinks for Satin, he's done nothing but hit since coming up, but the reality is that he's a 28 year old journeyman type who is pretty much limited to 1B and doesn't have much power. Overall his upside probably is no more than a short-side platoon 1B. 

So yeah, I'm not saying I like this move, because I don't, but I DO understand some of the logic behind it.

Edited by nmigliore

I can't argue anything you're saying nmig...in fact, I agree with all of it.  Ike had a nice tease in AAA and sooner or later the Mets have to figure out if that can translate to the majors, even though they'll find this out at Satin's undeserved expense. 

I just feel real bad for the guy...I know he has limitations and probably will never be an everyday first baseman, but it's just unfortunate for him that he's going to lose his job. 

Murph's OB% is now down to .304 after last night's 0-for-6.  It's been tough going for him for a while now.

Nice first game back for Ike.  Feel for Satin. 

Zack Leiter's 2-1 record and 4.29 ERA is hiding some serious ills.  A 1.62 WHIP...good lord. 

Murph's OB% is now down to .304 after last night's 0-for-6.  It's been tough going for him for a while now.

Zack Leiter's 2-1 record and 4.29 ERA is hiding some serious ills.  A 1.62 WHIP...good lord. 

Yeah I think this is basically what Murphy is. If you look at the last 4 years, he's been pretty much the same hitter in 3 of them with 2011 being the exception and I'll include BABIP to make it clear why 2011 was an outlier:

2009: 94 wRC+, .284 BABIP

2011: 126 wRC+, .345 BABIP

2012: 101 wRC+, .329 BABIP,

2013: 94 wRC+, .295 BABIP

I mean, that's not so terrible; a league average-ish (a 100 wRC+ is league average, for reference) hitting 2B who can field the position like an average 2B is going to be okay. Not a great or even good player but an average regular who may be slightly worse or better than that depending on how his BABIP and defense fluctuate year to year.

Wilmer Flores has primarily played 2B in Las Vegas, so he'd be a clear replacement if the Mets traded Murphy. Even after adjusting for the PCL factor, his numbers are really solid, and he's still just 21. I don't think the offensive bar is all that large to surpass Murphy, I just question how well he can handle 2B and how detrimental his baserunning will be since he's very slow. Those kinds of things aren't a *huge* deal if you can hit but if he turns out to be a fringy league-average hitter like Murphy, then those things will make the difference between acceptable regular and non-starter.

re:  Murph, it's disappointing because he shows teases of being something better (even if it's due to some occasional luck), and seems to have a good attitude (and some heart).  But it's obvious he's probably not going to be anything more than a solidly average player.  

I'm guessing the Mets could trade him for bullpen help and give Flores a shot within the next year or so.  Ideally, Murph could have another outlier year next season where he hits in the .320s again, and someone bites on him before the deadline.

Marcum just can't get a break with runners on base this season. He's rocking a strand rate in the low-60's. That's a stat, like pitcher BABIP, that fluctuates often (league average is typically 72-73%). In other words, that's not Marcum's fault, it's just part of baseball, and unlike some pitchers who consistently struggle with stranding runners (see: Nolasco, Ricky), Marcum has never had these issues (career 75% strand rate). I'm not even saying he's pitched all that well this season to begin with, but he's certainly more deserving of an ERA around 4 than 5.50 or whatever it is right now.

This kind of bares it out (entering tonight):

BABIP with runners on base: .388

BABIP with runners in scoring position: .384

BABIP with nobody on: .261

The sequence of the hits he's allowing -- basically when it matters most -- is just destroying his ERA.

Bad luck or bad pitching, sabes or no sabes, doesn't really matter...what sucks is that Marcum has minimal trade value.  With the way this season has unfolded (and was likely to unfold), that was really his only value to the Mets...he got a reprieve with Niese's injury, but it's not going his way.     

The only thing that really matters is that, like you say, Marcum hasn't pitched all that well to begin with.  Trying to find sabermetric reasons as to why he's been less bad than it might seem on the surface is probably kind of pointless.  He's still been pretty bad.   

This article is really disheartening: http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/mets/post/_/id/71905/mets-at-deadline-may-stand-pat

MILWAUKEE -- With the July 31 trade deadline three weeks away, will the Mets be buyers or sellers? 

Maybe neither, according to a team insider.

As for the seller aspect, the Mets held on to Scott Hairston at last year's deadline, trying to maintain competitiveness even though they were all but out of the postseason race. 

The same may be the case this year, when the Mets could hold onto Marlon Byrd, even though he would appear to have increased his trade value with continued solid play. 

The logic: Byrd is not making much -- $700,000 -- so this is not a case like 2003, when the Mets did salary dumps of Jeromy Burnitz and Roberto Alomar, among others. The Mets would need to be persuaded to part with Byrd and sacrifice 2013 competitiveness by getting something valuable that would help them in future seasons, not just a token minor leaguer.

One other wrinkle to watch: The Mets are likely to call up a veteran left-handed reliever -- probably Tim Byrdak over Pedro Feliciano -- at some point in the next three weeks. That could establish some value for a trade for a team looking for a situational lefty.

I realize a guy like Byrd isn't going to bring back much, but jeez, enough with this holding neutral at the deadline garbage. With the exception of Beltran, who was the most obvious trade candidate that Sandy couldn't screw up if he tried, the Mets continue to refuse to sell off players who have some value. 

The last paragraph is hilarious: yeah, they won't trade anyone with real value but they might trade an old, oft-injured LOOGY! Wow, that should bring back a stellar haul!

I realize it's just an article that could really end up meaning nothing by the time the deadline passes, but it's very frustrating to read this. This front office's act is really getting old. 
Edited by nmigliore

Byrd is one of those guys Sandy could tell, "Hey look, we're not going anywhere this season, but we could trade you to a possible contender, and bring you back next season."  Win-win for both sides.  I know Byrd's nothing great, but he could be a decent stopgap for the Mets again next season. 

At any rate, it seems risky to get nothing for him. 

I would consider moving Murph if someone's willing to give something up, though I can't see the return being anything special. 

I know we need outfielders but I don't even want Byrd back next season. He'll be 36 and 2011-2012, when he put an 81 OPS+, is still too close in the rearview mirror. Byrd's numbers are also heavily inflated by suspicious power; he's sitting with a .224 ISO right now (ISO is just SLG% minus AVG, a simple measure for power), which would be a career high. His 2nd highest? .196 in 2009 with Texas, who play in a launching pad. His career average? .140. Seems incredibly fluky to me, especially at his age. No thanks to bringing him back. 

Edited by nmigliore