New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Parise at $8.5 would be a gigantic mistake. I'm skeptical of anything over $7.

it would not. the devils should not have two wingers on front-loaded 10+ year deals, that will murder us in 7-8 years when kovalchuk is shot and parise is near-shot. i'd want parise at 8.5 for 6 years.

Edited by Triumph

new jersey can afford kovalchuk at 6.8, parise at 8.5, and greene at 3.5 if they get rid of about 5 million in salary. rolston on re-entry and salvador would take care of this.

Right on about Kovy Triumph. At most the Devils still won't go above a 6.8 cap hit. 800,000 is a lot of Cap space if you need to sign a 6th d-man but not when looking to sign ZP9. However, depending on how Greene plays this year I'm not so sure he gets less than 4.

Parise at $8.5 would be a gigantic mistake. I'm skeptical of anything over $7.

His point was there's plenty of potential room.

Edited by ben00rs

new jersey can afford kovalchuk at 6.8, parise at 8.5, and greene at 3.5 if they get rid of about 5 million in salary. rolston on re-entry and salvador would take care of this.

Do you really think the NHL will allow even a 15yr/102M contract at this point in time? With all their posturing about how they are re-investigating the Luongo / Pronger / Hossa contracts, I think even that type of contract is out the window. Kovy's cap hit may have to be higher than $6.8M.

it would not. the devils should not have two wingers on front-loaded 10+ year deals, that will murder us in 7-8 years when kovalchuk is shot and parise is near-shot. i'd want parise at 8.5 for 6 years.

Oh NVW sry Triumph did mean a 8.5 cap hit...that's not happening. The Devils aren't handing that out to anyone.

Do you really think the NHL will allow even a 15yr/102M contract at this point in time? With all their posturing about how they are re-investigating the Luongo / Pronger / Hossa contracts, I think even that type of contract is out the window. Kovy's cap hit may have to be higher than $6.8M.

Even if the NHL rejected it, an arbitrator would rule in our favor.

I understand that, but Parise at $8.5 is gonna be way too much for what he can reasonably bring to the table, and I am guessing would probably turn the fans against him when he isn't doing things that Ovechkin and Crosby are doing. $8.5 for a winger is a lot, especially one who can't score outside the circles. If Lou can do some miracles and get that cap hit to Richards, Toews, or even Datsyuk levels (3 better players in my opinion), that be outstanding.

At the same time, I am betting Parise wants to get paid. He signed a pretty awful contract last time around, and I wouldn't be surprised if he fired his agent over it.

I understand that, but Parise at $8.5 is gonna be way too much for what he can reasonably bring to the table, and I am guessing would probably turn the fans against him when he isn't doing things that Ovechkin and Crosby are doing. $8.5 for a winger is a lot, especially one who can't score outside the circles. If Lou can do some miracles and get that cap hit to Richards, Toews, or even Datsyuk levels (3 better players in my opinion), that be outstanding.

At the same time, I am betting Parise wants to get paid. He signed a pretty awful contract last time around, and I wouldn't be surprised if he fired his agent over it.

Parise has no agent right now.

This is what I posted a few weeks ago:

If Parise is signed long term I think his contract is going to look like this:

6.75M cap hit - 12 years/81M

Edited by ben00rs

no, but i do think they'd allow a 14 year, 95 million dollar deal that moves from 10M at its peak to 2M at bottom. kovalchuk ostensibly plays all the years there.

'the devils aren't handing that out to anyone'

they might not have a choice. parise is a better player than kovalchuk, him having a higher cap hit is not at all out of line.

The NHL can investigate the contracts all they want but they really can't retroactively undo the contracts. I don't imagine they'd find anyone in the legal system that would be too friendly with that. Signing Kovy at 15 years puts the Devils in a better spot since the Hawks already created a precedent with Hossa's contract.

no, but i do think they'd allow a 14 year, 95 million dollar deal that moves from 10M at its peak to 2M at bottom. kovalchuk ostensibly plays all the years there.

'the devils aren't handing that out to anyone'

they might not have a choice. parise is a better player than kovalchuk, him having a higher cap hit is not at all out of line.

Parise is not better than Kovalchuk. It's close if you include defensive play, but Kovy still has top 3 offensive skill. He can beat the best defenders in the league simply when he chooses to. With that said, Parise's cap hit will DEFINITELY be higher than Kovy's.

ovechkin and crosby were signed through their RFA years, neither of them are comparable. neither is toews, and neither is richards, and neither is datsyuk. furthermore, toews isn't better than parise (not yet), and richards certainly isn't better, either. datsyuk is better but he is older and detroit has some magic potion that makes everyone sign for less money than they're worth. whatever the case, the salary cap will have gone up when parise is getting his new deal, and two front-loaded deals for players at the same position will be brutal when both are near ending.

Edited by Triumph

ovechkin and crosby were signed through their RFA years, neither of them are comparable. neither is toews, and neither is richards, and neither is datsyuk. furthermore, toews isn't better than parise, and richards certainly isn't better, either. datsyuk is better but he is older and detroit has some magic potion that makes everyone sign for less money than they're worth. whatever the case, the salary cap will have gone up when parise is getting his new deal.

Parise ain't gonna compare himself to any of those players. He'll look at the contracts signed this year of players he is on the same level as, if he is signing now. Think: Mikko Koivu.

Edited by ben00rs

Parise ain't gonna compare himself to any of those players. He'll look at the contracts signed this year of players he is on the same level as, if he is signing now. Think: Mikko Koivu.

if parise has a year like last year, and there's no reason to think he won't, he'll score 35+ goals with 75+ points and he'll be a +25. that'd make 5 straight years of 30+ goals, which hasn't been done by that many people these days. how is he on the level with mikko koivu, who's never scored more than 22 goals in a season?

Parise is at the level of Crosby, Ovie, Kovie, etc, and would be named at that level had he not played for the Devils, so once the contract comes up next year, he will have to be given that level of money to keep him here, i'm sure teams will elevate his number right off the bat.

In theory, I'd love this. The big question is: Does Parise take a 6-year deal?

ovechkin and crosby were signed through their RFA years, neither of them are comparable. neither is toews, and neither is richards, and neither is datsyuk. furthermore, toews isn't better than parise (not yet), and richards certainly isn't better, either. datsyuk is better but he is older and detroit has some magic potion that makes everyone sign for less money than they're worth. whatever the case, the salary cap will have gone up when parise is getting his new deal, and two front-loaded deals for players at the same position will be brutal when both are near ending.

I get that, but having a player like Parise make $8.5 is just not a good idea. He's an outstanding player, but I don't know if he is that good. Like you've said, his two-way play is pretty overrated. It has been shown that bigger stronger defenseman can shut him down. He disappeared the past two playoffs but gets a free pass from everyone, and he isn't capable of scoring outside the circles. He's going to give it 100% everytime, and you love that in a player, but I don't think he's going to score 40-45 goals every year like some people assume.

I think the 12/$81 deal Ben00rs proposed isn't a bad one.

I get that, but having a player like Parise make $8.5 is just not a good idea. He's an outstanding player, but I don't know if he is that good. Like you've said, his two-way play is pretty overrated. It has been shown that bigger stronger defenseman can shut him down. He disappeared the past two playoffs but gets a free pass from everyone, and he isn't capable of scoring outside the circles. He's going to give it 100% everytime, and you love that in a player, but I don't think he's going to score 40-45 goals every year like some people assume.

I think the 12/$81 deal Ben00rs proposed isn't a bad one.

parise's two-way play is underrated insofar as parise is so good at pressuring in the offensive zone that the devils don't face pressure in their own zone. parise in the defensive zone isn't going to make anyone remember jere lehtinen, but parise is quite good at forcing turnovers and stealing pucks in the other two zones. he's a territorial champion - there aren't many better than him in the league at this. datsyuk is one, but he also has lidstrom on his team which helps. parise himself basically kept new jersey from being a territorially negative team last season.

parise was a plus player and has 49 shots on goal in his last 12 playoff games. while i don't think he's played excellently, it's hard to fault a guy who gets 4 SOG/G and remains a plus player even when he's not scoring at his usual rate. 10 points in 12 games is slightly off expected.

Edited by Triumph

if parise has a year like last year, and there's no reason to think he won't, he'll score 35+ goals with 75+ points and he'll be a +25. that'd make 5 straight years of 30+ goals, which hasn't been done by that many people these days. how is he on the level with mikko koivu, who's never scored more than 22 goals in a season?

Mikko Koivu will be a perennial all-star center over the next 7 years IMO.

Parise is at the level of Crosby, Ovie, Kovie, etc, and would be named at that level had he not played for the Devils, so once the contract comes up next year, he will have to be given that level of money to keep him here, i'm sure teams will elevate his number right off the bat.

The problem is Kovie. He's not at that level. Crosby and Ovie are in a league of their own, Parise's a step down, and Kovie's a step down from Parise, despite his talent. Unfortunately, Kovie's getting paid like a bigger superstar than he is, and if Zach wants the same treatment, who can fault him?

I think you hit it on the button here. On Parise's average days the bigger stronger D-man will shut him down. On Kovy's worst day he's still got a chance to beat the best D-Men.