2012 Jets Thread

Beezer34

Beezer, it's wonderful the way you spin it! We as Jets fans can only hope it goes that smoothly, but I'm afraid this is going to be MESSY. I just hope Tebow's presence can bring out the best in Sanchez.

Well, so far (be it lip service or not) they're saying all the right things from their press conferences today..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7740775/mark-sanchez-new-york-jets-not-worried-tim-tebow-taking-job

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-1/Sanchez-Tebow-Really-Is-a-Plus-for-Us/c7b4e4e7-cc9c-4c28-b989-64c52f990f23

"We're excited about working together. We're adding another player, not replacing anybody. Tim's here to help us. If he can help us win, I'm on board, let's sign him up. Whether it's a draft player, a free agent or a trade, as the quarterback of this team, I'm for getting wins. That's my primary focus. Tim's a great guy and he's going to be a great teammate. He's been great to be around. He's almost one of those guys who's such a good guy, people don't want to believe it, like there's no such thing as that good of a guy, but he really is. I'm confident in my abilities, and I know the team has the same belief. I'm the same guy who helped the team win a lot of games here with a lot of good guys around me. Comebacks.. playoff wins. I'm not worried about losing my spot. Rex (Ryan) and Mike (Tannenbaum) have been absolutely clear about that. Our team goal is what's most important, and that's winning. I'm a team guy. I'll do whatever it takes to win." --Mark Sanchez.

614c3bf7.jpg

"I'm so excited to be here. To be a Jet. Whatever my role is here, however I can expand that role, I'm going to try to do that. Every day in practice I'm going to go out there and compete to get better as a quarterback, and try to figure out any way possible to help this team any way I can. I want to be a quarterback first and foremost, that's my dream. But I've always said that I'm a football player first, and then a quarterback. However I can help a team, and make a difference, I'll be open to it and work as hard as I can. In any capacity really, it doesn't matter. Even if it's another position, I'm open to however they want to use me. I think Mark should be very secure as a football player and as a person. I don't think he's going to let outsiders affect how he goes about his preparation and how he plays. By working together we'll be able to encourage one another, and be stronger together than we would be apart. My conversations with Mark have been great.. we've been texting and talking back and forth. He is excited about working with me, and I'm excited about working with him. I think we'll have a great relationship and hopefully we'll be able to thrive together. We're going to have a lot of fun." --Tim Tebow.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/26/us-nfl-tebow-jets-idUSBRE82P12E20120326

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/tim-tebow-excited-ny-jets-thinks-mark-sanchez-work-article-1.1050957

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Either the Jets are underestimating just how divisive this can be, or they don't care because they eventually want Tebow to play.

I don't even care about that. (what the end game is in all of this) My allegiance is to the quarterback that can win us a Superbowl. If the cream rises to the top, be it Tebow or Sanchez, I'm all on board. As far as I'm concerned, the Jets doubled their chances at finding a franchise quarterback.

Instead of having one 24 year old 1st rounder (with playoff experience) they have 2. I know both Tebow & Sanchez have their limitations, but at least 1 of them should develop into a polished quarterback.

I use the 2009 Philadelphia Eagles as track-record for the Jets. Donovan McNabb & Michael Vick.

..through the off-season and training camp, all you heard from the Eagles was: "Vick will be used in different packages throughout the game.. but McNabb's our starter." That Eagle team from 3 years ago finished 11-5, and landed in the playoffs. If the Jets can emulate that, then it was worth a 4th rounder.

EDIT: *Update: https://twitter.com/#!/TheJetsStream/status/184373213449564163 ----- http://www.cbssports.com/general/blog/rob-rang/18065499/nfl-awards-15-teams-compensatory-picks-for-use-in-the-2012-draft

Two 6th rounders, and two 7th rounders. This means that with the 6th & 7th picks we already own, we now have half-a-dozen draft picks in the 6th & 7th rounds alone. ::cough-cough:: Draft Day trading anyone? ::cough-cough::

Edited by Beezer34

The problem is people who think Sanchez needs to man up and withstand Tebowmania are underestimating just how big Tebowmania is. No backup in the history of the NFL gets 250 credentialed reporters at their introductory press conference, hell no backup I can remember ever got a press conference.

Either the Jets are underestimating just how divisive this can be, or they don't care because they eventually want Tebow to play.

That's an excellent point.

This one's going to be beaten and debated into the ground many times over. Uberoptimists are going to hope the Jets are onto something revolutionary, and traditionalists will wonder if it can ever work. This is going to be 100000x as bad as the over-reporting and over-analysis that goes with the two-week break leading up to the Super Bowl. At least Opening Day in baseball isn't far away...that should put this on the backburner for a while.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

At least Opening Day in baseball isn't far away...that should put this on the backburner for a while.

Maybe in the backpages, but national media (ahem...ESPN) are going to beat it into the ground daily. I'm sure Peyton is loving it. I've barely heard his name mentioned since.

Maybe in the backpages, but national media (ahem...ESPN) are going to beat it into the ground daily. I'm sure Peyton is loving it. I've barely heard his name mentioned since.

Nothing compared to the Brett Favre melodrama. At least with Tebow, the conversation is focusing more on whether it's good move or not. ESPN more or less had a breaking news feed every time Favre picked his nose.

I also recall being in Colorado many moons ago when the Broncos fired Dan Reeves. The local media treated it as a bigger story than 9/11.

EDIT: *Update: https://twitter.com/#!/TheJetsStream/status/184373213449564163 ----- http://www.cbssports.com/general/blog/rob-rang/18065499/nfl-awards-15-teams-compensatory-picks-for-use-in-the-2012-draft

Two 6th rounders, and two 7th rounders. This means that with the 6th & 7th picks we already own, we now have half-a-dozen draft picks in the 6th & 7th rounds alone. ::cough-cough:: Draft Day trading anyone? ::cough-cough::

so how many picks u guys have?

so how many picks u guys have?

http://blog.newyorkjets.com/2012/03/26/nfl-awards-jets-4-compensatory-draft-picks/

10 total draft picks, but we could get awarded an 11th (late 5th rounder I believe) should the Pats resign Ihedigbo.

..always nice to go into a draft with a boat-load of picks. :D Not that you're going to find anything of supreme value in the later rounds. But you will find defensive depth, and special team gems.

I agree with you, Beezer, about not assuming anything and giving the trade a chance. I'm skeptical but not dead-set against it.

Mind you, the Jets aren't just trying to be successful with this plan.. they're trying to revolutionize the NFL. They're coming into the season saying; "Fvck you, we're reinventing the wheel." This is why the odds are so heavily against them.. because in 100 years of American football, there's really no blueprint or basis to go off of. The closest would be college football, but even that is based around a singular offense.

If it works, you're not just looking at 1 successful season.. but several. Both men are extremely young, with many more years left on their contracts. (3 more years for Tebow, 5 more years for Sanchez) If it doesn't work, you're looking at yet another sh!t season.. and losing at least one of, if not both, Sanchez and\or Tebow.

The safe bet, obviously, is to go with the latter.. but I don't know Jerry. I just got this feeling. Any other situation, with any other coaches, on any other team.. I wouldn't give this a snowballs chance. But this situation feels different. When you look at the skill-sets and limitations of Tebow & Sanchez, they compliment eachother. Their ego\age weights in their favor. Their personalities correlate with one another. (in fact, their perfect together) The coaches, Sparano & Ryan, further balance the setting. The schedule's reasonable. The defense is perennially Top 5 every season, thereby not placing the onus entirely on the QB position.

Maybe it's just me being a homer here, but sometimes I feel there couldn't be a better fit for Tebow than Gang Green. I predict a return to 2009 & 2010 for the Jets this upcoming season. I predict a big year for this team.

Edited by Beezer34

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/tebowmania_has_yet_to_take_hold_in_devils_locker_room/

Quarterback Tim Tebow is the talk of the area with last week’s trade from the Denver Broncos to the Jets. Devils captain Zach Parise is among those who are not impressed, though.

“I don’t care for it,” Parise said. “Why is a backup quarterback having a press conference?”

ohhhhhhhhhhhh snap.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.newyorkjets.com/schedule/season-schedule.html

•Week 1: Sunday, Sept. 9th 1:00pm – vs. Bills (home)

•Week 2: Sunday, Sept. 16th 4:00pm – vs. Steelers (away)

•Week 3: Sunday, Sept. 23rd 1:00pm – vs. Dolphins (away)

•Week 4: Sunday, Sept. 30th 1:00pm – vs. 49ers (home)

•Week 5: Monday, Oct. 8th 8:30pm – vs. Texans (home)

•Week 6: Sunday, Oct. 14th 1:00pm – vs. Colts (home)

•Week 7: Sunday, Oct. 21st 4:00pm – vs. Patriots (away)

•Week 8: Sunday, Oct. 28th 1:00pm – vs. Dolphins (home)

•Week 9 – *Bye Week.

•Week 10: Sunday, Nov. 11th 4:00pm – vs. Seahawks (away)

•Week 11: Sunday, Nov. 18th 1:00pm – vs. Rams (away)

•Week 12: Thursday, Nov. 22nd 8:30pm – vs. Patriots (home)

•Week 13: Sunday, Dec. 2nd 1:00pm – vs. Cardinals (home)

•Week 14: Sunday, Dec. 9th 1:00pm – vs. Jaguars (away)

•Week 15: Monday, Dec. 17th 8:30pm – vs. Titans (away)

•Week 16: Sunday, Dec. 23rd 8:30pm – vs. Chargers (home)

•Week 17: Sunday, Dec. 30th 1:00pm – vs. Bills (away)

..fair hand, if you ask me.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/schedule/season-schedule.html

•Week 1: Sunday, Sept. 9th 1:00pm – vs. Bills (home)

•Week 2: Sunday, Sept. 16th 4:00pm – vs. Steelers (away)

•Week 3: Sunday, Sept. 23rd 1:00pm – vs. Dolphins (away)

•Week 4: Sunday, Sept. 30th 1:00pm – vs. 49ers (home)

•Week 5: Monday, Oct. 8th 8:30pm – vs. Texans (home)

•Week 6: Sunday, Oct. 14th 1:00pm – vs. Colts (home)

•Week 7: Sunday, Oct. 21st 4:00pm – vs. Patriots (away)

•Week 8: Sunday, Oct. 28th 1:00pm – vs. Dolphins (home)

•Week 9 – *Bye Week.

•Week 10: Sunday, Nov. 11th 4:00pm – vs. Seahawks (away)

•Week 11: Sunday, Nov. 18th 1:00pm – vs. Rams (away)

•Week 12: Thursday, Nov. 22nd 8:30pm – vs. Patriots (home)

•Week 13: Sunday, Dec. 2nd 1:00pm – vs. Cardinals (home)

•Week 14: Sunday, Dec. 9th 1:00pm – vs. Jaguars (away)

•Week 15: Monday, Dec. 17th 8:30pm – vs. Titans (away)

•Week 16: Sunday, Dec. 23rd 8:30pm – vs. Chargers (home)

•Week 17: Sunday, Dec. 30th 1:00pm – vs. Bills (away)

..fair hand, if you ask me.

I think this is a very decent schedule if we get our sh!t together I can see us going 11-5 maybe 12-4

I think this is a very decent schedule if we get our sh!t together I can see us going 11-5 maybe 12-4

The absolute WORST we should do this year, is 9-7. Best being 12-4.

..so if we're somewhere in the middle, it should be enough for a playoff berth.

The absolute WORST we should do this year, is 9-7. Best being 12-4.

..so if we're somewhere in the middle, it should be enough for a playoff berth.

Pretty much agree with that too ...

Esp. now that I hear we might get Richardson as a RB, maybe we can make some changes to solidify our O-Line and it would be awesome.

Grain of salt needed: Rumors that the Jets would trade Sanchez today if offered a 2nd or 3rd lol

At this point that wouldn't surprise me with this circus, especially if the Incarcerated Bob rumor is actually true this time that Sanchez asked for a trade - and none of our WR's seem to like the QB anyway. It feels inevitable one way or another that Teblow's going to play.

• 3 weeks later...

..any move that sticks it to the fish, I endorse.

yeremiah-bell.jpg

Building a temple in the secondary.. and it's not going to be pretty. Next up, Jimmy Leonhard. B )

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8292f595/article/yeremiah-bell-signs-with-new-york-jets

Edited by Beezer34

I have read nothing but bad reviews about the Jets draft this year (everyone seems to mention Gholston) and that they drafted question marks at best. I have the impression that Rex will be in over his head this year and I don't think he is coming back if the Jets again fail to make the playoffs.

how does this stick it to the fish? they were the ones who cut him. miami found a way to beat u last season. adding a dinosaur like bell wont change that.

Yeremiah Bell is a former ProBowler, coming off one of the best seasons of his career. He spent 8 years with Miami as the heart & soul of their secondary. The reason they cut him had zero to do with ability.. and everything to do with money. Although 34 years of age isn't a spring chicken.. it's far from being labeled a dinosaur. Truth-be-told.. I'm actually more excited about this signing, than LaRon Landry.

When Miami beat the Jets.. Eric Smith was the #1 safety on the team. (Leonhard was already injured at that point) Big Props! smiley-taunt001.gif

u dont know that leonard is the same player after his injury.

Here's what I do know. Over the last 2 years, the Jets are 19-7 when Leonhard is in the lineup.. and 1-6 when he's not.

In lamens terms: We are a completely different team defensively without Leonhard! NO SAFETY on the Jets roster can emulate the way Jimmy reads coverage. (let alone his in-game communication with the DB's) He is one of the most underrated FS's in the NFL.

The surgery on Jim's patellar tendon was said to be a partial (key word) meniscectomy. The doctor himself said that the "tendon was not completely ruptured" and that the knee should be 100%.

Bottomline.. this is the 1st time he's undergone surgery on his knee. And at 29 years old after 6 months rehab, Leonhard's recovery is the least of my worries.

I have the impression that Rex will be in over his head this year and I don't think he is coming back if the Jets again fail to make the playoffs.

imo.. everyone gets a pass this year. However, 2013 will be the bubble season for both the QB & Coach. I think it could be extremely possible to see the Rex\Sanchez combo replaced for the Sparano\Tebow duo.

Edited by Beezer34

I think all those safety moves mean Leonhard isn't going to be back, and really you can't count on him anyway. The guy's as much a team player as there is but he isn't durable enough to stay on the field in the biggest games.

Rex can probably survive another playoff-less season but Sanchez absolutely will not.

I think all those safety moves mean Leonhard isn't going to be back, and really you can't count on him anyway. The guy's as much a team player as there is but he isn't durable enough to stay on the field in the biggest games.

Rex can probably survive another playoff-less season but Sanchez absolutely will not.

Remember me saying this, so when it happens you'll give me props. :P Bell's signing does NOT mean the end for Leonhard. Book it!

All this move proves is that; Landry's recovery is taking longer than expected, and\or Jimmy won't be ready for the start of the season. Bell is a SS, not a FS. This move is an insurance policy for LaRon.

Leonhard is a Rex guy.. doesn't want to play for anyone else. -period! Rex would never allow his secondary's signal caller to stray to another team. The Jets will wait forever for Jimmy if they have to. But I like the proactive approach for added depth.

If anything, this signing will put a gun to Eric Smith's head to restructure.

im guessing u like this move beez? ;)

What I like is when upper-managment concentrates on one specific area of the team, and makes an effort to cultivate that focus in surplus. (ala; Stevens, Daneyko, Niedermayer, Rafalski, Albelin, etc) Does anyone remember the front seven of 2010? Shaun Ellis, Jason Taylor, Kris Jenkins, Trevor Pryce, Calvin Pace, Bart Scott, David Harris, Bryan Thomas, Mike DeVito, Sione Pouha. You can't find depth like that in recent Jets history if you tried. It became the foundation of the team. The result was an 11-5 year, with the 3rd ranked defense in the league.

This off-season, the Jets appear to be making that same conscious effort again.. only with the DB's, not the front seven. I don't care what anyone says, a secondary consisting of Revis, Cromartie, Wilson, Landry, Bell, Leonhard, & Smith is down right scary.

It was bad enough that we didn't have guys like Landry & Bell on the team last season.. but when Leonhard went down, the safety position became a joke. Eric Smith is not an everydown DB. Now-with-standing, we finished with the 5th best defense in the NFL.