Embarrassing!!

redruM

Sorry but that is what this World Cup was for the US... Donovan showed all why he plays in the MLS and not in Europe, he contributed nothing in 3 games...

Once Reyna went down and w/ Mastrioni out the US had Noone to direct traffic through the middle of the field.. long balls up the middle passes that never make their marks.. crosses that go no where near their targets...

Again embarrassing...

Hopefully in 2010 it will be the Freddy Adu show...

I'm very disappointed...

I was believe that Team US can make some noice during this cup...

but it's a fact

This year it's a very average team

I'm more disappointed to not see Adu play... why did he not make the team ?

What was embarrassing was another pitiful showing by the refs.......the PK call against Onyewu was a blatantly horrific call on a non-foul.

Still the US was very disappointing. Goodbye Coach Arena.

Jimmy I did not like that call either, but what was the US fullback thinking?? there's abiut 1 minute left in the half.. bring the ball to your feet.. instead he nails the ball in the air towards the center of the field.. then he compaunds the mistake by heading it ti the PK line infront of his own net..

I tell my gilrs 100X a game.. bring the ball to your feet do not kick w/ out a plan.. that what the US did on the play.. just kick no plan.. BAMM 2-1 US loses!!!

Donovan played like garbage but I blame Arena, playing a 4-5-1 was incredibly stupid. The strength of donovan's game is passing to forwards on runs and with a 4-5-1 he had no one to pass to. Every time the Americans were in the attacking end they had to pass back to open trailers who then had no options. Holding on to the ball too often was the americans' downfall too as both goals scored by Ghana were the result of sloppy ball control by the American defenders. Especially the first one where Reyna got owned.

Arena has to blame himself for the loss, even though the officiating was complete and utter garbage. To win on a penalty kick after such a ridiculous call is bogus, but it never should have come to that in the first place.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

Donovan played like garbage but I blame Arena, playing a 4-5-1 was incredibly stupid. The strength of donovan's game is passing to forwards on runs and with a 4-5-1 he had no one to pass to. Every time the Americans were in the attacking end they had to pass back to open trailers who then had no options. Holding on to the ball too often was the americans' downfall too as both goals scored by Ghana were the result of sloppy ball control by the American defenders. Especially the first one where Reyna got owned.

Arena has to blame himself for the loss, even though the officiating was complete and utter garbage. To win on a penalty kick after such a ridiculous call is bogus, but it never should have come to that in the first place.

I have to agree, it seemed everytime we countered, it got ruined by a back pass and allowed the Gahna's to get behind the ball.. also why so many balls up te middle play tot he wings... whne we did we created chacnes but too much garbage up the middle...

Geez does FIFA think they're the UN? Just because the US is playing in Europe do they have to get screwed every game?

I do agree with the criticism of Arena playing a 4-5-1, I didn't understand that one bit. People talk about how much more talent the US has now compared to say, 1990 well that's a 1990-type philosophy. You can't create any offense with one striker and their D isn't good enough to shut teams out every game to justify playing that formation. I don't know if Arena should be fired, if he does go then you basically have to get a foreign coach to replace him (or an American coach not as well-qualified) and I'm not sure that's the best thing for US soccer right now.

Besides in this case I'd blame the players more, I was worried about how they'd handle being the hunted instead of hunters, they didn't handle it well at all other than the one game where their pride was on the line against Italy.

Is the result dissapointing, sure but I guess this group was pretty tough considering how well Ghana did and the fact that the Czechs didn't make it out of the group and they were supposedly a top ten team. The effort wasn't dissapointing against Italy, I dunno about today cause I didn't watch it yet.

Edited by Hasan4978

Geez does FIFA think they're the UN? Just because the US is playing in Europe do they have to get screwed every game?

4 Years ago it was Italia that was screwed every game...

This year... USA, France & Cote d'Ivoire wasn't very help by referee..

Don't see "US hate" everywhere

(The US fan who thrown a plastic bottle on italian player was a bit stupid if you wanna my opinion... )

(But it's not all US fans)

That penalty kick call was a joke. That said, I echo the thoughts expressed in this thread. The US team was clearly better than Ghana. It shouldn't have come down to that.

It's not like they didn't have chances to tie and give themselves a chance. The header off the post and a couple of near misses off corners.

They just didn't finish their chances. Why am I having deja vu two months later? :rolleyes:

The US team was clearly better than Ghana.

I Disagree...

(no one care but I disagree)

In this ghana squad there are a lot of very good player.. valuable and who play in high level..

Essien for example is a masterpiece of Chelsea

Asamoa is know as a killer...

US players must go to Europe or South America in order to progress, to learn how to win in soccer.

French player has the same player 10 years ago... They can't win versus germany, england, Italie, Brazil etc etc etc...

All star players go to best championship (italy, england, spain) and learn the High Level

Only one or two US players play in Europe...

Very soon, US team will make some damage... i'm sure of that... but not yet.

I Disagree...

(no one care but I disagree)

In this ghana squad there are a lot of very good player.. valuable and who play in high level..

Essien for example is a masterpiece of Chelsea

Asamoa is know as a killer...

US players must go to Europe or South America in order to progress, to learn how to win in soccer.

French player has the same player 10 years ago... They can't win versus germany, england, Italie, Brazil etc etc etc...

All star players go to best championship (italy, england, spain) and learn the High Level

Only one or two US players play in Europe...

Very soon, US team will make some damage... i'm sure of that... but not yet.

Moustic you are incorect, about half this team plays in Europe.

Mastrioni & Beasley in Germany.

Reyna, Mcbride & Keller in the EPL

Bocengra somehwer but not sure, and I know I missing others...

I've read alot about the US over the last fewdays, the downfalls, the mostakes the problems...

there are alot of opinions... too many of them coming from elite sports writers who know nothing about soccer.

Philip Bondi from the POst claims the us does not have enough talent... and if you only watched this team over the last 3 weeks, you might be right... but that stmt is a mile off, there is plenty of talent on this team.

The 1 thing the US does not have... is a super star..

No Beckham.. no Rooney No Rolandinho, No Ronaldo No Figo, No Henry we have 11, or 12 or 13 2nd level players but not the star thats gets you through the big game...

And playing a 4-5-1 when you need a win is just assinine!!!

The MAstrioni red card v. Italy sank this team, he was the best player on the US squad and that really left a huge void in the middle...

MAstrioni was their best player I agree...

But what I say about "playing in Europe" is true

Only Beasley is playing in big club... he plays less than 30 games in Eindhoven (not a HUGE club)

Reyna doesn't play often and a low club... same for Mcbride in Fulham (who disappoint a LOT)

I must admit, i don't know much about Keller but he deserves his place...

No player is a masterpiece in a big club

(Adu will be for sure... )

Don't get me wrong, I watch this US team since long time and was believe that they can finish in 1/4...

European culture isn't yet in US soccer player

(Brazil & Argentina doesn't need this learning... they have their own culture... but US can't play like this two teams)

MAstrioni was their best player I agree...

But what I say about "playing in Europe" is true

Only Beasley is playing in big club... he plays less than 30 games in Eindhoven (not a HUGE club)

Reyna doesn't play often and a low club... same for Mcbride in Fulham (who disappoint a LOT)

I must admit, i don't know much about Keller but he deserves his place...

No player is a masterpiece in a big club

(Adu will be for sure... )

Don't get me wrong, I watch this US team since long time and was believe that they can finish in 1/4...

European culture isn't yet in US soccer player

(Brazil & Argentina doesn't need this learning... they have their own culture... but US can't play like this two teams)

I do agree about the europe thing.. although Mcbride was voted MVP of fulham this year... and I think Keller is considered one of the top goalies in Germany ( sorry my bad) .

but you are right there are no playes on this team that will be stars in the EPL.

Yeah I watch some Fulham game this year... and Mcbride was one of their best player... but Whaaaaaaat a poor team... Really... They fall down so badly since few years

I didn't know for Keller...

As I already say... the Team failure don't start with him... He was correct (not great but correct)

For example, I can't NOTHING on both Rosicky Goals during the first game...

In my opinion, US team must decide what kind of play they wanna use/learn...

More British or more German (they can't be a latin team... )

Yeah I watch some Fulham game this year... and Mcbride was one of their best player... but Whaaaaaaat a poor team... Really... They fall down so badly since few years

I didn't know for Keller...

As I already say... the Team failure don't start with him... He was correct (not great but correct)

For example, I can't NOTHING on both Rosicky Goals during the first game...

In my opinion, US team must decide what kind of play they wanna use/learn...

More British or more German (they can't be a latin team... )

The next step should be to bring in a foreign coach. Arena has run his course and there are no coaches in the US right now that are ready to take the reigns... many countries bring in foreign coaches to run the national teams.. time for the US to do so...

I extremely Agree !

US need to find a way to bring to coach Guus Hiddink

He is incredible... 4 years ago, he brings Corea near the best team in the world (and they learn so well that they play good since that)... and this year, he qualify a very average Australian team...

He is a master who coach with the natural style of his player (quick & endurance for Korean player, Physic & MORE physic for Aussie)