New Fan

cgb6397

The title says it all but, I'm from Long Island and started watching hockey this year. I figured the Devils were close enough to root for so here I am. Any information that can be given from fan to fan would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Cody

So what teams are really big rivals ? I figure that's a good place to start.

We despise the Rangers and are disgusted by the Flyers. As far as we're concerned, Flyers fans are lowlifes and Rangers fans can never stop insulting the Devils no matter how many times the Devils win (especially the 95-03 years) or the Rangers try to buy a Cup and fail. To us, the Flyers play a dirty game, taking cheap shots and taking dives. As to who is the bigger rival, well that is up for debate. On one hand, Philly has been much greater competition for the Devils lately than a struggling Rangers team, on the other hand, you can go to any one of the Devils 41 home games and there is a 100 percent chance you will hear a whistle followed by a "Rangers Suck!" chant. These are the main rivalries and are two of the biggest rivalries in sports. All of the players on NJ, PHI and NYR know about the hate between the teams and this makes the games really intense as both teams don't want to let their fans down. The fact that the players know about the rivalry makes it even more bitter when a Devils player signs with the Rangers for a bigger contract. This is why there is so much hate for Scott Gomez and why there was so much hate for Bobby Holik. Even when a former Devils player is traded to the Rangers we don't like it. For example, when Petr Sykora requested out of Anaheim and he was traded to the Rangers there was a lot of animosity towards him from NJ fans even though he hadn't been on the team for years.

The next biggest rival for us would be the Penguins. This rivalry has only developed in the last couple years as the Pens are a good team in the Atlantic Division for the first time. Oh and we hate Sidney Crosby. Go to a home game VS. the Pens and you are likely to hear a "Parise's Better" chant.

As for the Islanders...well we would like to hate them but we just can't. I think a lot of Devils fans just feel bad for them. But that's a whole other story.

Edited by ben00rs

• 1 month later...

From Washington state, always catch the Devils when they come to Vancouver!!

Decided it's finally time on my life schedule to make the pilgrimage out to NJ to catch a couple games, maybe ill see some of you board nerds out there!! :evilcry:

Welcome. For when you visit: We'll be the ones kicking, screaming, spitting and hitting things.

• 3 weeks later...

methinks, being new to the game, he has his hockey brain turned off for the summer. Not realizing hockey never goes away. Hopefully he'll be back when games start up again. dontknow.gif

We despise the Rangers and are disgusted by the Flyers. As far as we're concerned, Flyers fans are lowlifes and Rangers fans can never stop insulting the Devils no matter how many times the Devils win (especially the 95-03 years) or the Rangers try to buy a Cup and fail. To us, the Flyers play a dirty game, taking cheap shots and taking dives. As to who is the bigger rival, well that is up for debate. On one hand, Philly has been much greater competition for the Devils lately than a struggling Rangers team, on the other hand, you can go to any one of the Devils 41 home games and there is a 100 percent chance you will hear a whistle followed by a "Rangers Suck!" chant. These are the main rivalries and are two of the biggest rivalries in sports. All of the players on NJ, PHI and NYR know about the hate between the teams and this makes the games really intense as both teams don't want to let their fans down. The fact that the players know about the rivalry makes it even more bitter when a Devils player signs with the Rangers for a bigger contract. This is why there is so much hate for Scott Gomez and why there was so much hate for Bobby Holik. Even when a former Devils player is traded to the Rangers we don't like it. For example, when Petr Sykora requested out of Anaheim and he was traded to the Rangers there was a lot of animosity towards him from NJ fans even though he hadn't been on the team for years.

The next biggest rival for us would be the Penguins. This rivalry has only developed in the last couple years as the Pens are a good team in the Atlantic Division for the first time. Oh and we hate Sidney Crosby. Go to a home game VS. the Pens and you are likely to hear a "Parise's Better" chant.

As for the Islanders...well we would like to hate them but we just can't. I think a lot of Devils fans just feel bad for them. But that's a whole other story.

Quite the synopsis....

methinks, being new to the game, he has his hockey brain turned off for the summer. Not realizing hockey never goes away. Hopefully he'll be back when games start up again. dontknow.gif

Its tough sometimes because I know when the Giants football season start and the MLB playoffs come around, I find it difficult to concentrate

:blink: