2012-13 Prospect Thread

thefiestygoat

If Boucher scores 25 next year I will be surprised

Scoring in the OHL doesn't automatically equal pro success so he could easily be the next Brett MacLean and just wash out completely. Guys like Barch I think could score 20 in the junior leagues and Travis Moen scored nothing in junior and scores more in the NHL so who knows how their skills transfer over

Thursday 3/28
OHL Western Conference Quarterfinals
#4 Kitchener defeated #5 Guelph 2-1 (Lead Series 3-1)
Ben Thomson LW: E, 2 PIM (Cross Checking)

WHL Eastern Conference Quarterfinals
#6 Swift Current lost to #3 Calgary 3-1 (Lose Series 4-1)
Reece Scarlett D: -1
Graham Black C: Assist (PP), E, 2 PIM (Cross Checking)

Final Regular Season Stats
Reece Scarlett D: 67 GP 9-40-49 +14 66 PIM
Graham Black C: 68 GP 24-26-50 +4 33 PIM

Final Playoff Stats
Reece Scarlett D: 5 GP 0-3-3 -2 10 PIM
Graham Black C: 5 GP 1-3-4 -2 2 PIM

The NCAA Tournament will be on ESPNU from 2 PM to 12:30 AM. Games featuring Devils prospects are:
2 PM #1 Minnesota (Helgeson) vs. #4 Yale (West Regional)
5:30 PM #2 North Dakota (Rodwell) vs. #3 Niagara (West Regional)
10:30 PM #4 Wisconsin (Faust) vs. #1 UMass-Lowell (Northeast Regional)

Id like to see boucher becoming what gallager is for mtl right now

totally different style of player.  

i wonder if scarlett and black get ATOs - wouldn't surprise me if black didn't, since he's had a hard season.  would still like to see him signed to a contract soon.

totally different style of player.  

i wonder if scarlett and black get ATOs - wouldn't surprise me if black didn't, since he's had a hard season.  would still like to see him signed to a contract soon.

I wonder if the amount of d-men they already have would impact Scarlett getting an ATO this year. Regardless, at least he will move on to Albany next year. I'm conflicted on what will happen with Black next year. While he can move onto Albany, I wonder if they'll give him the extra year of junior given his battle to keep weight on and grow while battling Graves' disease. Either way, I am very pleased with what both guys did in Swift Current this year.

Speaking of Swift Current, they have some interesting draft elgibles this year in D Dillon Heatherington and C Colby Cave. We'll have to see if the Devils keep drafting Broncos for a 3rd year in a row.

EDIT: Cave's EP page should read 20 assists instead of 0.

Edited by thefiestygoat

Friday 3/29
QMJHL Quarterfinals
#3 Blainville-Boisbriand defeated #14 Acadie-Bathurst 3-2 (Win Series 4-1)
Stefan Matteau LW: E, 2 PIM (Hooking), 2/4 Faceoffs, 1 Hit

#4 Kitchener defeated #5 Guelph 4-2 (Win Series 4-1)
Ben Thomson LW: +1

#3 Owen Sound defeated #6 Sault Ste. Marie 5-3 (Lead Series 3-2)
Artur Gavrus C: Assist, +1

NCAA Tournament
West Regional Semifinals
#1 Minnesota lost to #4 Yale 3-2 (OT)
Seth Helgeson D: -1, 2 PIM (Cross Checking), 2 Shots
Final Season Stats: 40 GP 0-5-5 -5 62 PIM 0.00 SH% 1.08 SH/GP
Final College Stats: 150 GP 7-20-27 +16 222 PIM

#2 North Dakota defeated #3 Niagara 2-1
Derek Rodwell RW: DNP (I think he is a healthy scratch again)

Northeast Regional Semifinal
#4 Wisconsin lost to #1 UMass-Lowell 6-1
Joe Faust D: -3, 2 Shots
Final Season Stats: 42 GP 1-0-1 E 14 PIM 3.33 SH% 0.71 SH/GP

AHL
Albany defeated Hershey 5-3
Jon Merrill D: Assist, +2, 1 Shot

The Minnesota-Yale game was a bit weird. It felt like there was about 10 faceoffs in the first few minutes so the game had no flow. Then Minnesota never really seemed to get in it until mid way thru 3rd period when they finally came alive and got two goals to tie the game up. Then immediately into over time, Helgeson's D partner butchered a pass to Helgeson behind the net that Agostino (from Iginla trade) intercepted and fed to the front for the instant winner. Agostino also had a goal for Yale.

Devils prospects in the NCAA Tournament tomorrow on TV:
ESPNU 4 PM #2 North Dakota (Rodwell - if he plays) vs. #4 Yale (West Regional Final)
ESPN3 5 PM #2 Miami (Coleman) vs. #3 Minnesota State (Midwest Regional Semifinal)

That was a really nice read Merrill made to set up that goal. Loved the recovery he made to break up the breakaway cleanly.

OT: Nolan Zajac D (Denver) just finished his freshman season (20 yrs old): 37 GP 6-20-26 +12 22 PIM 12.24 SH% 1.32 SH/GP Points from the PP: 4-12-16

Edited by thefiestygoat

That was a really nice read Merrill made to set up that goal. Loved the recovery he made to break up the breakaway cleanly.

OT: Nolan Zajac D (Denver) just finished his freshman season (20 yrs old): 37 GP 6-20-26 +12 22 PIM 12.24 SH% 1.32 SH/GP Points from the PP: 4-12-16

I'm guessing he was never drafted. Wonder if Lou will consider giving him a shot on down the line?

I don't know if this is the right thread to post it in, but Reid Boucher scored a goal tonight as well as recording 2 assists on his first game with the A-Devs and Merril on his side picked up 2 assists.

Edited by SS-SS

Saturday 3/30
WHL Western Conference Quarterfinals
#2 Kelowna defeated #7 Seattle 4-3 (Trail Series 3-2)
Damon Severson D: Assists (PP), +1

NCAA Tournament
West Regional Final
#2 North Dakota lost to #4 Yale 4-1
Derek Rodwell RW: -1, 4 PIM (Hooking, Interference), 1/1 Faceoff
Final Season Stats: 32 GP 2-1-3 E 34 PIM 5.00 SH% 1.25 SH/GP

Midwest Regional Semifinal
#1 Miami defeated #4 Minnesota St. 4-0
Blake Coleman C: 2 Assists, +3, 2 PIM (Interference), 1 Shot, 7/12 Faceoffs

Miami vs. St. Cloud State will be on ESPNU at 4 Sunday.

AHL
Albany lost to Portland 5-4 (SO)
Jon Merrill D: 2 Assists (1 PP), +1, 2 PIM (Tripping), 2 Shots
Reid Boucher LW: Goal (PP), 2 Assists (1 PP), +1, 3 Shots, Stopped in SO* 3rd Star

Fiesty, think the Devils have any interest in Mike Zalewski? Younger bro of Steve is a big dude and can put the puck in the net pretty effectively so far

To be honest I had never heard of him until you pointed him out. Looking over at his EliteProspects page I see he was passed over in his 2 draft years playing in the BCHL and was a 20 year old freshman for RPI. While he is technically a free agent, I'm under the impression most guys wait till after their junior years to sign a pro contract. He is big as you mentioned (6'2 209 LW) so perhaps he is a late bloomer in terms of skill matching up to his size. Finished 5th in scoring for RPI behind upperclassmen who were mostly older than him and was tied for the team lead in goals.

I've been a fan of Steve Zalewski but he is going to be 27 next year and who knows if he'll be in the organization by the time Mike turns pro. If he still is I bet the Devils will have some interest since they love keeping families together in the organization. Mike definetely seems like a player who will have a shot to turn himself into an attractive NCAA FA down the road.

Edited by thefiestygoat

Sunday 3/31
#3 Owen Sound defeated #6 Sault Ste. Marie 4-3 (Win Series 4-2)
Artur Gavrus C: Goal, +1

NCAA Tournament
Midwest Regional Final
#2 Miami lost to #4 St. Cloud State 4-1
Blake Coleman C: Goal (PP), -1, 2 PIM (Holding), 1 Shot, 7/16 Faceoffs
Final Season Stats: 40 GP 9-10-19 +6 56 PIM 7.32 SH% 3.08 SH/GP 46.48 FO% 18 Blocks

I was only half paying attention to the game but from watching Miami a few times this year, I have to say I'm a big Coleman fan. I really think he can be a solid bottom 6 player for the Devils in a few years. He's strong, fearless, and aggressive. Loves to hit and cause havoc in front of the net. Not the best faceoff man though.

No Devils prospects will be featured in the Frozen Four.

Would've liked to have seen a better season out of Coleman but looks like he didn't get the breaks.  It wouldn't surprise me if he were a point a game next year.

I'm going to take a look at the Miami roster but hopefully he gets bumped up to a consistent top 6 role next year. In the roughly 5 games I saw this year he was mostly on the 3rd line but got a decent amount of time playing the front of the net on the PP. On my unofficial prospect spreadsheet, he had the 2nd most shots per game played which was a nice sign - not counting Gavrus' short BXL stint. (Note: OHL, WHL, and BCHL shots totals for players aren't available)

Good to see Gavrus producing after his slow start in the O

Combining his regular season and playoff games - his 1st 14 games (0 goals, 3 assists) and his next 13 games (10 goals, 6 assists).Talk about turning it on but I suppose he just needed some time to adjust to moving overseas again.

Tuesday 4/2
WHL Western Conference Quarterfinals
#2 Kelowna defeated #7 Seattle 4-3 (OT) (Series Tied 3-3)
Damon Severson D: 2 Assists (1 on the GWG), +2

4th game this series to go to overtime and the 5th game to be decided by 1 goal. Kelowna has come back from 3 straight OT losses to force game 7 Wednesday night! Shots were 59 to 43 Kelowna tonight.

AHL
Albany defeated Springfield 3-1
Jon Merrill D: 2 Assists (1 PP), E, 1 Shot
Reid Boucher LW: Goal (PP), E, 2 Shots

Jon Merrill with 5 assists in his first 3 AHL games along with a +3 rating, 2 PIM, and 4 shots.
Reid Boucher with 2 goals and 2 assists, +1, and 5 shots in his 2 games with Albany this season.