Henrique re-signed. 6 years, 24 million.

brodeur14301991

This Zajac discussion isn't that meaningful, I think everyone knows what everyone was trying to say, so to DM I say, Swift Justice, Please!

Either way, I'm glad to see Lou betting on players when he can.  I'm hoping for a similar contract for Larsson if he does well next season, maybe with an extra year and little less money.

No reaosn not to, like w/ Nashville betting on Josi and preventing guys from getting to UFA. Guys good enough to get to the NHL probably don't need to have to "play for a contract" or anything like that so might as well just make the best bet you can, esp when you have no forwards under contract 

blaaah bluh blaah!  Some of you guys are so exhausting.  I have no problem with this contract. If it's a stinker so what?  Devils are creative enough to find a way out.  If it's a low-ball then the Devils have made out like bandits while showing good faith. 

you know, who cares????  Lets just like hockey and stuff and stop acting like we have some sixth sense or some special insight.  Lou is in a better position to judge than ANYONE here so you know -- just relax and...well.... stfu  :evil:

blaaah bluh blaah!  Some of you guys are so exhausting.  I have no problem with this contract. If it's a stinker so what?  Devils are creative enough to find a way out.  If it's a low-ball then the Devils have made out like bandits while showing good faith. 

you know, who cares????  Lets just like hockey and stuff and stop acting like we have some sixth sense or some special insight.  Lou is in a better position to judge than ANYONE here so you know -- just relax and...well.... stfu  :evil:

AMEN

I'd like to hear Patrik Elias' real thoughts on this contract or Scott Niedermayer.  Those guys were superstars on this team and didn't get this kind of treatment while UFA.  Bobby Holik has to have commented some where...

Let's just imagine they'd say how great Lou is for learning from his past mistakes and call it a day.  Dont you think they'd prefer their hockey brethren be treated more fairly rather than suffer the same under-valuing they did?  Dont you think they'd prefer all their struggles counted for something, that their past actions clearly DID have a significant effect on Lou and the Devils organization?

I honestly dont think people are as petty and self-righteous after the fact as we'd like to beleive

I'd like to hear Patrik Elias' real thoughts on this contract or Scott Niedermayer.  Those guys were superstars on this team and didn't get this kind of treatment while UFA.  Bobby Holik has to have commented some where...

I don't think any of them think this has anything to do with their contract negotiations.

Edited by Daniel

It's a different league.  You can't just hold a player's feet to the fire.  Sure, go ahead, force Henrique into a 2 year deal worth $1.5M per season.  Then he's got 2 arbitration eligible years and then he can go where he pleases.  In addition, Lamoriello now has the money to spend this way, whereas in the late 90s he didn't.  

Edited by Triumph

Let's just imagine they'd say how great Lou is for learning from his past mistakes and call it a day.  Dont you think they'd prefer their hockey brethren be treated more fairly rather than suffer the same under-valuing they did?  Dont you think they'd prefer all their struggles counted for something, that their past actions clearly DID have a significant effect on Lou and the Devils organization?

I honestly dont think people are as petty and self-righteous after the fact as we'd like to beleive

I think that those guys came through this organization thinking it was different and did things the right way.  That players were earn thier "good" contracts.  That's just not the case anymore.  Elias was pretty pissed off that Kovy was able to buck many team policies and get away with.  He was vocal about too.  The Devils are turning into just another NHL team.  Facial hair is next.  Just wait, pretty soon someones going to be wearing 13. 

I think that those guys came through this organization thinking it was different and did things the right way.  That players were earn thier "good" contracts.  That's just not the case anymore.  Elias was pretty pissed off that Kovy was able to buck many team policies and get away with.  He was vocal about too.  The Devils are turning into just another NHL team.  Facial hair is next.  Just wait, pretty soon someones going to be wearing 13. 

If Elias was so unhappy or disturbed he would have moved on. I think it was only him that expressed his feeling about Kovy and BTW Elias was right to do so. I don't think it will change the team however.

Watch out, the Devils might actually get cheap UFA years out of a player next.  Never mind that Henrique was an 18 minute a game, all-situations player the last 2 years and a Calder finalist - got to earn that contract.

Agree, people on here acting like we're shareholders and money's coming out of our pockets to pay Henrique.

Watch out, the Devils might actually get cheap UFA years out of a player next. Never mind that Henrique was an 18 minute a game, all-situations player the last 2 years and a Calder finalist - got to earn that contract.

True, but Henrique took a step back in his all around game last year. He's still elite on the penalty kill and he was on pace to score twenty goals but you can't sit here and say you weren't at least a tad disappointed in his performance last year.

I think he's a second/third line tweener who will get you your 15-20 goals along with ~45 points. That's easily worth a four million dollar cap hit and this is assuming he doesn't improve

True, but Henrique took a step back in his all around game last year. He's still elite on the penalty kill and he was on pace to score twenty goals but you can't sit here and say you weren't at least a tad disappointed in his performance last year.

I was a tad disappointed in 80% of our team.

But yeah, agree with everything you've said.

I'm not sure I like this signing, it is clearly a gamble that he can be a top 6 winger. It would suck to have both Zajac and Henrique as our two top paid centers moving ahead when neither is an offensive juggernaut.

If we're not going to be a cap team anyway in two years, what does it matter except that it doesn't look good?

I'm not sure I like this signing, it is clearly a gamble that he can be a top 6 winger. It would suck to have both Zajac and Henrique as our two top paid centers moving ahead when neither is an offensive juggernaut. 

I'm not that concerned about this.

1.  Zajac and Henrique make a combined $9.75M - this really isn't very much going forward.  Consider that in 3 years the cap may be around $73-75M, making the average salary around $3M.  I didn't check capgeek on this but I think NJ has the lowest paid highest paid player in the league.

2.  Are the Devils going to be able to trade Henrique and something else for a top center?  Probably not, and I don't see how this contract restricts them from doing so if they wanted to.

3.  Obviously ideally the Devils would have a center above Zajac and Henrique, but it's really hard to get a center in free agency.

Edited by Triumph

Elias keeps coming back. He negotiated his last contract quickly, quietly, and with Lou rather than starting a bidding war. He clearly has faith in Lou's fairness. And yes, I know he considered the Rags before this, but he got a good contract that time, and has nothing but loyalty to the organization. 

eh if Vanderbeek was stilll the owner and there were more $ problems, I'd be worried about the $ but with the big cap and owners who are solvent, I'll take the years

How awesome and fortunate are we to get new owners to clear all our debt and who have deep pockets.

Why assume they'll be our top two centers in the future? Also, why can't henrique step up his offensive game to be a legit top 6 fwd? He showed flashes his rookie year. Last year was the sophomore slump and condensed schedule.

I think that those guys came through this organization thinking it was different and did things the right way. That players were earn thier "good" contracts. That's just not the case anymore. Elias was pretty pissed off that Kovy was able to buck many team policies and get away with. He was vocal about too. The Devils are turning into just another NHL team. Facial hair is next. Just wait, pretty soon someones going to be wearing 13.

If Elias was so unhappy or disturbed he would have moved on. I think it was only him that expressed his feeling about Kovy and BTW Elias was right to do so. I don't think it will change the team however.

It wasn't just Elias, it was Parise and Langs too

Why assume they'll be our top two centers in the future? Also, why can't henrique step up his offensive game to be a legit top 6 fwd? He showed flashes his rookie year. Last year was the sophomore slump and condensed schedule.

the terms of both of their contracts theyre not going to be our bottom two centers... they both got contracts for those roles