Earnest Congratulations To The Devils

Triumph

This wasn't such a hard ending to the season as we've had in the past. 2001 was much harder since the expectations were there. This year, I had no idea whatsoever that I would still be watching hockey in June. I love this team and what it accomplished this spring. It was an enjoyable run. The unfortunate ending wasn't as heartbreaking as in the past as they far exceeded my expectations at the start of the season.

Quite a nice montage by CBC (as always). It should remind us a lot of good stuff happened in the last two months. I'd suggest stopping after 4:18. But you just gotta fast forward to 3:06 for the best effect!

Thanks once again, Devils! Tremendous run.

14 playoff wins. I think at most the majority of us were expecting maybe 5 or 6. Tri's post is dead-on, in terms of handing out the congrats, and the way he went about doing it.

Glad to see that almost everyone is giving the Devils their due. No posts about lack of killer instinct or heart, no nitpicking, no being overcritical...just simple appreciation for a run that almost no one thought was possible.

Only bummer is that, with the NHL having become a complete crapshoot come playoff time, where the outcomes almost seem random, who knows if/when the Devils get to a SCF again? But I won't ever look back at this series and think of it as a lost opportunity...the Kings were trying to win it too, and no matter how I look at it, the Kings were just a bit better, even with many of the games having a "Could've gone either way" feel.

From 10-29-2 laughingstocks to within two wins of a SCF. Truly an amazing feat.

Hey if we got cheated out of a cup, so be it, it's on the officials, nothing we can really do about it now that would fix anything. We won the east, the Rangers and Flyers , and had such a turn around from last season. Stay proud and come in next season with a chip on your shoulder - especially when playing LA

An awesome year &playoff run. Hockey in June is incredible. Very proud of this team. Hanging on to best FLA, Crushing the Flyers, cup-blocking the Rags, and finally showing all heart by winning 2 after being down 3-0.

Very happy for Brodeur to reach his 5th Finals in 17 seasons !

The future is bright!

The first bitter disappointment is gone, I am more and more starting to appreciate the great run they had. The Henrique-goals in the clutch (especially THE GOAL against the Rangers of course), two wins in the finals, the beating they gave the Flyers, Marty playing like a 25 year old, Clarkson celebrating on top of the goal... and many more positive memories I will keep forever. They also gave me the chance to see my first two SCF games. They lost them both, but boy was it fun. All in all I have to say that, with the exception of game 2 probably, LA was simply that tiny little bit better in all the games and deserved to win the Cup. Surely they also had more energy in the finals because they were able to get to the SCF in significantly fewer games that probably also weren't as draining. The best team won, I can live with that. Much better anyway than if they had lost to the Rangers again. That would've sucked BIG time. :rolleyes:

Would we have won if the Bernier penalty had not been called? Who knows. Up until that point the LA Kings had hit a post/crossbar and Marty had made some key saves. If we recovered from the initial onslaught, maybe chipped in a dirty goal, maybe the complexion of the game changes.

That's neither here nor there. It would have been nice for the ref to not have conditioned the game the way he did. The guy's bleeding, hit from behind, he automatically thinks ejection. A 2minute penalty would have been sufficient, but again, let by gone's be by gone's...

Parise will walk this summer, so I hope Lou has a contingency plan.

It will be an interesting off season for sure.

Edited by Mitico12

Great post. What a great run it has been. This has been a great year, one of my favorite teams of all time. I will never forget any of the memories made this year. Who will ever forget where they were when Henrique scored in 2OT to keep the season alive? Who will ever forget where they were when he scored in OT to defeat New York? I won't. I will never forget where I was or who I shared these moments with. Truly incredible.

It was just a great season in general for me. In December I came home on some leave and went to four consecutive Devils games at the Rock and saw them win 3 of the 4. While in Baltimore, I got to visit three Capitals home games which was a lot of fun. I went to six Panthers games, four of which involved the Devils, including games 1, 2, & 5. (Of course I had to get underway on the morning after Game 7 so I could not go... damn it!!) I shared all these moments with the people closest to me. My Dad, my Brother, my best friends. I even got my best friend hooked on hockey. She's an Illinois girl so she claims the Blackhawks as her own, but I know she's more of a Devils fan anyway. :evil: I guess my whole point I'm trying to make is NHL... NHLPA... please compromise. Do not compromise the season, though. It's too much fun. It's some of the best moments that we all share together. And I can't get enough.

Also, thanks to NJDevs for continuing to be a great place to discuss Devils hockey. I find myself having an abundance of places to discuss / read about the Devils. ILWT, reddit (r/devils), TG's blog, twitter, all great places to meet Devils fans and discuss hockey. But I still feel the most connected to this forum and it has been fun getting back into posting. I had just lurked for a couple of years.

I guess all I have left to say is this, Let's Go Devils!!

Apart from being angry the Devils decided to lose the cup on my birthday i have nothing but extreme love and respect for every player on the Devils roster this season.

A few seasons ago i remember being angry that the team i was watching seemed to have no heart, no fight and no character. I was more confident they would find a way to lose than win.

I couldn't have asked any more from the team this year. They finally established themselves as a group with heart and fight. That's what makes a good hockey team. I hope they carry this attitude forward.

Pete De Boer should be extremely proud,he has given this team and organisation its identity back whilst keeping our tradition.

Apart from being angry the Devils decided to lose the cup on my birthday i have nothing but extreme love and respect for every player on the Devils roster this season.

A few seasons ago i remember being angry that the team i was watching seemed to have no heart, no fight and no character. I was more confident they would find a way to lose than win.

I couldn't have asked any more from the team this year. They finally established themselves as a group with heart and fight. That's what makes a good hockey team. I hope they carry this attitude forward.

Pete De Boer should be extremely proud,he has given this team and organisation its identity back whilst keeping our tradition.

I think PDB gave the team a new identity that fits in well with the new NHL while not compromising the defensive tradition this franchise has. We have all been fustrated since the lockout that the Devils were still stuck in the pre-lockout style and that the team never philosophy doesn't work in the new NHL. Sutter tried to do that but was not the man for the job. PDB came in and really earned the Devils respect and got them to buy into the system. He had a rough first couple of months but you can see with each passing month it started coming together more and more.

I had doubts of him early on but he has proved himself to be a class-act and can hopefully and finally be the coach that can stick with this team long-term.

He has my vote for this years team MVP

This was a wonderful season and post-season. There is absolutely no way to complain about the run we've witnessed this year. And truthfully, much as I would have loved to watch them win the Cup, I don't think it's possible for me to have been more happy about that than I was when they beat the Rangers. So many things to appreciate this year.

I’ve been a Devils fan since 2005 when I moved to NJ from Germany. I did not get to experience any of the “glory years” so this was the most fun I have had as a Devils fan. We got rid of the Playoff Demons against the Panthers, destroyed the “invincible” Flyers, and shut down all the stupid 94 talk against the Rangers. At least we took the kings to a game 6 which the other teams couldn't.

Thank you Devils

I totally love this team and as many have pointed out it is OUR TEAM to remember. This team has so much heart and determination!! Huge underdogs against Philly and even losing the first game coe back rto show the world a new brand of Devils Hockey. Again underdogs to the Rangers down 1 - 0 and 2 - 1 in the series come back to beat our main Rivals!!

While we came just a bit short I love what this team accomplished and how this team played during this run.

Congrats to all the Players and Coaches as well as Lou for a Great Fun season!!!

well said Tri!

Very proud of the team with a tinge of frustration because of the injuries, especially kovy. what if!!!!!

it was so enjoyable to watch the return of Travis and JJ push the goons off the 4th line and transform this team with the addition of poni and zids. top to bottom this team showed heart every night.

special shout out to zubie who I though had a great run and just ran out of legs at the end and to andy greene who skated with the other teams top forwards all playoffs long

I would like to thank the Devils for the great season. It was a fun rollercoaster ride (Sometimes a bit too scary for my taste. B ) ) I expected 1st round possibly 2nd round. I never expected the team to get to the finals. I almost forgot what is like to attend games in late May and early June. Saddened they didn't get the cup but that's hockey.

Again, THANK YOU AND CONGRATULATIONS DEVILS!

I think PDB gave the team a new identity that fits in well with the new NHL while not compromising the defensive tradition this franchise has. We have all been fustrated since the lockout that the Devils were still stuck in the pre-lockout style and that the team never philosophy doesn't work in the new NHL. Sutter tried to do that but was not the man for the job. PDB came in and really earned the Devils respect and got them to buy into the system. He had a rough first couple of months but you can see with each passing month it started coming together more and more.

I had doubts of him early on but he has proved himself to be a class-act and can hopefully and finally be the coach that can stick with this team long-term.

He has my vote for this years team MVP

Yeah that is what i was implying, they finally transitioned.

Personally i always felt before this season that the team were stuck between, they knew what they were and what they needed to be but not how to get there. Sutter came close, but De Boer really got everyone on the same page.