Was gifted a jersey

Sneax

Just got a jersey from a family member, it has my last name on it and an 01.

Personally I can't wear it, I've never seen a single person at a hockey game with their own name on their jersey. And it seems ultra douchey. What would you guys do, I can't change the name because if she ever finds out she will get upset. Do you wear it to games if you were me? Do you use it for game watching at home or do you leave the blasphemous item in the closet.

Edited by Sneax

You sure you can't tell the person that you want to change the name/number?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yea she was so pleased with herself about that part of it, would be crushing to tell her otherwise. Like that was the great gift, the personalized jersey, not the jersey. :(

I was excited at first because my last name starts with a G, and all I could see was the G when I was unpacking it, and I was like no way a gelinas jersey (in my head, and then I realized there is no way she could know A) who that is B) that hes awesome C) that I want his jersey). So I actually came across as excited, at least she got that out of it.

Edited by Sneax

Assuming this person doesn't see you in the jersey so why not just change it and not tell her. If she ever does see you just tell her it's a different one.

Would hate to be a in a position where it comes out.

Think I'm just going to stash it in the closet :/

Edited by Sneax

For me that wouldn't be a very difficult decision. I have jerseys that I wear to the game and this probably wouldn't be one of them. However, I would NOT tear it apart out of as respect for the thought that was invested in the jersey. I would feel like a complete douchebag even if the person that gifted it didn't find out.

I'd totally wear it around the house without shame and be thankful that someone actually put some thought and effort into a present.

However, every person is different. Do what you think is right.

Edited by mrthemike

Exclusive Pro Sports does the best jersey stripping and customization out there.

Definitely, I actually once received a jersey with my name on it as a gift as well, and I sent it to Exclusive Pro and it came back with absolutely no trace of the previous customization.  This was on one of the pre-Edge jersey though, not sure if the new materials have changed this, but you can call them at 815-877-8585.  They are very helpful over the phone and many times you talk directly to the person who will be working on your jersey.

For me that wouldn't be a very difficult decision. I have jerseys that I wear to the game and this probably wouldn't be one of them. However, I would NOT tear it apart out of as respect for the thought that was invested in the jersey. I would feel like a complete douchebag even if the person that gifted it didn't find out.

I'd totally wear it around the house without shame and be thankful that someone actually put some thought and effort into a present.

after reading the responses I've been swayed and agree with this. Probably the best thing to do.

This. To me, being a good family member and being a good fan are two different things, and I try not to let one get in the way of the other. I'd rock the jersey in the house, even at family events, let her see it, but what goes into the Rock is sacred to me, so it wouldn't cross the doors.

Good points being made.  At first I kept my name on it and only wore it around the house but a few years later I realized I wasn't wearing it very often and decided I might as well get more use out of it by changing the name.  It was also given to me by my uncle who I don't see all that often and when I do it's often a family gathering where a hockey jersey isn't really appropriate, so that probably made it an easier decision for me.  Your experience may vary.

yea she was so pleased with herself about that part of it, would be crushing to tell her otherwise. Like that was the great gift, the personalized jersey, not the jersey. :(

I was excited at first because my last name starts with a G, and all I could see was the G when I was unpacking it, and I was like no way a gelinas jersey (in my head, and then I realized there is no way she could know A) who that is B) that hes awesome C) that I want his jersey). So I actually came across as excited, at least she got that out of it.

Oh man how disappointing! screw it id wear it why not

Just got my 2 yr old daughter her own jersey with her fist name and day she was born on the back.  Who gives a rats fuzzy ass who's name is on the back, you should be proud of your name anyway.  Its not high school.

I got my niece a jersey with her first name and the number 1 for her first birthday.

Fu€k me it's the thought that counts no?

Someone had taken the time to buy you something related to something you like, get it customised and give it to you and all you can think about is how you won't wear it or might look like a douchebag?

Keep it and appreciate the thought and care that went into getting it for you.

Oh and remember it's the crest on the front not the name on the back that matters.