Holik & Rolston?

Tallahassee Warhogs

Go take a look at the Rangers roster, it is garbage. They have zero depth and are relying on just as many "washed up" players as we are. Except, the washed up players they're depending on are their #1 defenseman and one of their top line wingers. I bet you don't even know who Zherdev is, if you did, you'd understand the guy is a one way talent who, if Renney is going to continue his system, is going to bitch and moan until he gets traded. He didn't like Hitchcock, but he's going to like a carbon copy system? They're not running, because they pay nearing $7 million for a goalie who will get DESTROYED if they play open-up hockey.

Who in the farm system is going to replace your beloved Lundqvist if he goes down?

The Rangers are a couple of name players and an army of kids that are going to have to perform, they are a weaker team than they were on June 30th. They are also going to be one of the pussiest teams to ever hit the ice. We're much tougher than them, and we're not even that tough.

And we have depth? Parise is probably the ONLY PLAYER ON THE TEAM WHO CAN CONSISTENTLY SCORE GOALS! Hopefully Rolston can get to 30 again. I've had more than enough of Elias, but he can probably hit 30 again. Outside of those 3 players, that's really it. Not to mention the defense still resembles a farm team.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a horrible post.

Rolston had a great season last year. He fills our needs on our dreadful PP and HE SCORES, Ill take him over Naslund. Columbus is a stupid team, its not Lou's fault they gave Fritsche/Zherdev away for nothing.

Holik wont be that bad but I think he was overpaid.. hopefully he can produce a little bit.

Holik is an underrated sign, the dollar amount doesn't mean crap because saving that extra $1M for 1 year does nothing.

Holik is an underrated sign, the dollar amount doesn't mean crap because saving that extra $1M for 1 year does nothing.

Thats very true to.. Obviously Lou had no other plans of signing anyone else via free agency after he gave that much to Holik.

its unbelievable that lou was willing to sign rolston for 20/4 until hes 39, but not rafalski last year, one of the premiere defenseman in the league, for an extra million a year for two more years. The nonsense about Rafalski breaking down in his mid 30s is ridiculous, especially after seeing another nightmare of a signing by Lou.

I'm SO SICK of seeing him overpay guys who 'know the system'

3 Cups and you're whining.

Rafalski is not one of the premiere defenseman in the league. Yes, he should have gotten a raise, but jesus christ look at who he plays with.

Who do you think we should have signed instead? I can't wait to see a list of Hossa and Campbell.

True he was solid here, but u are right in saying that playing with datsyuk and zetterburg helps a ton.

Some of you guys arent being fair. We picked up a 30 goal scorer (only Parise did this last year) and he plays a big PP role. So some of you guys need to calm down a bit. I dont think Lou is done yet.

and could someone please tell me why some people are so down on Rolston? He had more goals than any Devil last year, save Parise (who beat him by 1). How is that not improving the team? I would love to know. I get being unhappy about the 4 yrs, but wouldn't you rather have him for 4 yrs than not have him at all? Cause it was Rolston or nobody, cause we sure as hell weren't getting Hossa, Campbell etc.

Detroit is the exception, not the rule. Their team is a one-of-a-kind, all the pieces fell in place at the same time. A resurgence in goal, several higher draft picks that panned out better than most team's #1 pick. If you want the Devils to compete with Detroit roster-wise, you'll be disappointed for several years.

Look more at the gain/loss.

Brylin is gone, Holik is in.

Asham is gone, Rolston is in.

That's an upgrade. Problems are being addressed. What's the concern?

And we'll crush them again like we did in 1995, the sweep Mark II

They have been incredibly lucky with their draft picks, they are due for a stumble, only this time, they can't buy their way out of a jam. Brains has taken them so far, and luck always runs out.

I don't fear that team one iota.

I personally love this. For once instead of just losing talent we actually get talent:

Lose Brylin and Asham

Acquire Rolston and Holik

Sounds good to me!

Yeah.. how is not making this team better? I'd say our team was good without them, we just had a bad year from Gio, Zajac, Langenbrunner, Zubrus etc.. all of those guys can put up better numbers.. Our PP was a joke, Rolston clearly helps it (and we dont need a defenseman with a rocket from the point, ie: Roszival) so the Rolston signing is like killing 2 birds w/ 1 stone.

And yes look at what was lost and gained, and if you still think Lou did a bad job.. then i laugh at you..

Lose Brylin, Gain Holik - GOOD

Lose Asham, Gain Rolston - EXCELLENT

Now how is that bad? This team is being built to win now before Marty goes.. I'll take a Cup and then have Rolston be a bust for the last 2 years of his contract.

Edited by nmigliore

Rafalski is not one of the premiere defenseman in the league. Yes, he should have gotten a raise, but jesus christ look at who he plays with.

Who do you think we should have signed instead? I can't wait to see a list of Hossa and Campbell.

I'm not a fan of Campbell's. Not a fan of Redden's, either, especially at the cost the rangers signed him at. Losing Rafalski was an incredible mistake. Given the cap problem that this team has, I'm not sure who else we could've signed. But now that we have 8 million tied up in Zubrus and Rolston for the next 4 or so years, we'll never get to sign a better defenseman!

Sorry Tallahasse, I think this board smells "blood" now...it ain't gonna be pretty.

If experience has shown anything here, best to just let it go....how about a new post? Different topic?:noclue:

Sounds like a plan.

Sorry to ALL!! I didn't mean to open a family sized can of worms.

I do agree that LL thinks................... :whistling:

Nevermind.

BTW, I am a Devils fan, always have been and always will be.

Edited by Tallahassee Warhogs

And we have depth? Parise is probably the ONLY PLAYER ON THE TEAM WHO CAN CONSISTENTLY SCORE GOALS! Hopefully Rolston can get to 30 again. I've had more than enough of Elias, but he can probably hit 30 again. Outside of those 3 players, that's really it. Not to mention the defense still resembles a farm team.

yea we have depth. We have at least 6 guys who can hit 20 goals if healthy. Elias, Parise, Gio, Madden, Langs, Rolston

Parise-Elias-Langenbruner

Rolston-Zajac-Gionta

Pando-Madden-Zubrus

Rupp-Holik-Clarkson

OR

Naslund-Gomez-Zherdev

Dawes-Drury-Callahan

Prucha-Dubinsky-Sjostrom

Korpikoski-Betts-Voros

That's without any of our kids in the picture. The depth is not even close.

Stop whining already, you'll get a defenseman. You have 3 months, show some patience. It's freaking ridiculous, so many spoiled fans that think you're going to get the world out of this organization, UFA for us, you should take what you get because we're not a popular destination, maybe if we had less jaded whining fans that would actually turn out to a game occasionally, it would be different.

They're taking these many players with a chance to make the roster:

Elias, Parise, Langs, Gionta, Rolston, Zajac, Madden, Pando, Zubrus, Clarkson, Holik, Rupp, Pelley, Vrana, Bergfors, Martin, Oduya, White, Salvador, Salmela, Greene, Mottau, Brookbank, Vish, Corrente, Ekford.

That's 15 forwards and 11 defensemen. 26 fvcking players, and you don't think they're going to make a trade to improve the roster, especially if kids make the team and spots open up? Jesus Christ, really.

And we'll crush them again like we did in 1995, the sweep Mark II

They have been incredibly lucky with their draft picks, they are due for a stumble, only this time, they can't buy their way out of a jam. Brains has taken them so far, and luck always runs out.

I don't fear that team one iota.

Erm, I'm pretty sure they haven't lost anyway but Hasek and they got Hossa... I'm scared sh!tless, to be frank. :unsure:

Edited by HockeyR53

yea we have depth. We have at least 6 guys who can hit 20 goals if healthy. Elias, Parise, Gio, Madden, Langs, Rolston

honestly, i think zajac is gonna surprise all of us this season. i think he may be on that list of people who score 20. Call me crazy now, I know at least 90% of this board will, but I think hes gonna have a good season.

I'm not a fan of Campbell's. Not a fan of Redden's, either, especially at the cost the rangers signed him at. Losing Rafalski was an incredible mistake. Given the cap problem that this team has, I'm not sure who else we could've signed. But now that we have 8 million tied up in Zubrus and Rolston for the next 4 or so years, we'll never get to sign a better defenseman!

With the way trades have been going down, we could easily acquire a defenseman by shipping Zajac and/or Gionta and more.

Who knows maybe Salema who will another Great Finnish story (see Rafalski, year 2000).. what kind of defenseman is he?

Langenbrunner and Gionta can't be depended on to score, as they can't be depended on to hit the net. Elias only shows up to about half the games during the course of a season. It'd be fantastic if Madden repeated what he did last season, but that can't entirely be counted on. Our defense is still a circus.

honestly, i think zajac is gonna surprise all of us this season. i think he may be on that list of people who score 20. Call me crazy now, I know at least 90% of this board will, but I think hes gonna have a good season.

Everyone is hoping, He could be huge if he produces 50 pts. Hopefully since he doesnt have as much pressure he can help a lot

With the way trades have been going down, we could easily acquire a defenseman by shipping Zajac and/or Gionta and more.

Who knows maybe Salema who will another Great Finnish story (see Rafalski, year 2000).. what kind of defenseman is he?

I can't possibly imagine someone accepting Gionta. He's in the last year (right?) of a contract, and getting paid what, 4 million? He was a nightmare last season.

Rolston, Elias, and Parise need to put up 25-30 goals, period. They are the superstars offensively. Gionta needs to score some goals too, he can put up 25-30 as well.. Zajac/Zubrus/Langenbrunner are due for better years.

and metallidevils, its simple: If you have a playmaking Center, you will take Gionta. Even if its the final year of his contract.

Edited by nmigliore

Erm, I'm pretty sure they haven't lost anyway but Hasek and they got Hossa... I'm scared sh!tless, to be frank. :unsure:

Not me, I saw their D scramble like headless chickens when under pressure, it was total chaos.

They have two weaknesses IMO, Goaltending, they are soft. Problem is there wasn't a team in last years playoffs that could exploit that.

I think the Flyers would have given them a far better series than the Penguins with AWOL Malkin.

I can't possibly imagine someone accepting Gionta. He's in the last year (right?) of a contract, and getting paid what, 4 million? He was a nightmare last season.

if someone has a good, gomez-like center, i think they would take him, because if you look before and after gomez, there is a dropoff in his production. You add someone like him into the equation, gio has the possibility to become a 30 goal scorer. as for his contract, i can't remember off the top of my head, but there was some trade earlier this year that involved someone in the last year of their contract, if i remember correctly.

Who cares about Detroit? They are in the West. They ALWAYS flop in the playoffs when they are the CLEAR favorites, see 1995 and 2003.

Martin needs to put up more goals. Only 5 last season? Hes a #1 PP unit guy at the point he needs to net a few more.. He could reach 40 points, i think 50 is stretching it.

Edited by nmigliore