GDT: Atlanta Thrashers @ Devils 7:30 pm ET

njdevil26

Elias-Gomez-Gionta mystifies me. I have no idea what they are doing on the ice half the time.

Probably because only two of them give a damn anymore. I've defended Gomez in the past but I'm sorry the guy can't suck enough this year. It's not just his lack of offense, that's one thing - he just doesn't hustle at all, until it's like the last two minutes or overtime. Things would be a lot better if he would stop frigging pouting about Lou not giving him a long-term deal and start fvcking playing :rant:

As for the game itself, Marty had a rare off night but can't kill him, he's been carrying us this year. Still is it any surprise that one of his few off games comes against Atlanta? Boy have I had enough of that team. Between them and the Isles they cost us like a thousand points a year. And now that both teams are actually good it'll be that much harder to beat them :rolleyes: I actually thought the team as a whole played okay, they didn't look too confident at times though - probably because of the Thrasher jinx.

Edited by Hasan4978

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

was at the game tonight in 110 ... my observations

gomez= doesnt care.

elias does not use his speed and shot. he tries to be crafty way too much. gionta is the only one on that line that seems to care anymore...

langenbrunner had a crappy defensive game... anyone could have scored the goal he scored so its not that special. he also whines a lot. i cant tell you how unbelievable parise is... even if he is not on the scoresheet as much, he plays 110% every shift and has huge heart

great job and great shot to oduya for his first nhl goal... he has some jump in his step and i was impressed.

rafalski is NON EXISTENT.... white is useless... martin, oduya, and hale are the best D right now.

the fourth line is playing well and i like to see that. lots of his...

NOTE TO JULIEN: 4 ON 4 DOES NOT MEAN PENALTY KILL... MADDEN AND PANDOLFO SHOULD NOT BE ON THE ICE EVERY OTHER SHIFT IN OVERTIME!!!! YOU HAVE 6 PLAYERS ON YOUR TOP TWO SCORING LINES... MAKE THREE LINES AND ROTATE THEM ... JESUS CHRIST!

the second line played decently...

attendance said 10,116.... small crowd as usual but it was loud at points so i was surprised.

the rangers suck chants have to stop... now everyone is trying to do them.

the best part of tonight was the guy that stood behind the atlanta bench making fun of lehtonen for using eyedrops at every commercial break... he stand there and screamed until hedberg threw him a bottle of eyedrops and the whole section cheered haha.

I get a feeling that Julien won't last the season. His inability to get the team up and going consistently is a problem that Lou never had. I feel like Lou might put himself back behind the bench or get mr. Burns to return. This team is performing similarly to Larry's. Not as bad, but close enough. One step forward, one step back.

Your feeling is incorrect.

Lou is not going back behind the bench. Burns is not returning.

Don't be so sure.

I don't get the Burns love - sure seems like he took a team as good as this one to a first round loss. There were certainly mitigating circumstances in that first round - but that team was not much worse than this one.

He is a decent coach but his message gets old.

I don't get the Burns love - sure seems like he took a team as good as this one to a first round loss. There were certainly mitigating circumstances in that first round - but that team was not much worse than this one.

He is a decent coach but his message gets old.

just because Burns was an old dog doesn't mean he couldn't have learned a new trick...people didn't see the Burns effect wear off with us so they don't think it ever would.

And who knows, maybe he would've learned something from experience and found a way not to lose the locker room like he usually does.

He did deserve another year.

Here we go again with the Julien nonsense. Is it Julien's fault that Gomez is pouting all over the ice because of his contract? Is it Julien's fault that Elias - until recently - and Gionta aren't producting the way we thought they would? Is it his fault all the d-men take turns at sucking (tonight it was Whitey's turn)?

I admit Burns is a serious upgrade and quite a few of the players that are here now weren't when Burns coached so I'm not sure how much his message will 'wear' on the team. Burns can coach with Ruff, Laviolette, Nolan, etc; I'm not sure Julien can. But I don't believe Lou would can Julien a half-season into a three-year deal and I don't think he would have hired Julien for that long if he thought there was a chance Burns could come back.

im not bashing julien... i think he is a good coach... but pandolfo and madden being put on the ice that frequently in overtime means that they dont want to win... that is a defensive line... and you CANT say that they are out there to defend agaisnt hossa and kovalchuk because they devils are the only team in the nhl that do that... and with the best goalie in the world in the net, we should def take some more chances.... why would you want to play for the shootout with atlanta? they are loaded!

it just doesnt seem like they want to score.... you would think we would take some chances in OT to avoid a shootout with three of the best players in the league

We did. We took plenty of chances.

Pando and Madden aren't terrible on offense at 4 on 4 either - it's 5 on 5 where their flaws really get exposed. With Madden's speed, he's a reasonable threat to score 4 on 4.

Here we go again with the Julien nonsense. Is it Julien's fault that Gomez is pouting all over the ice because of his contract? Is it Julien's fault that Elias - until recently - and Gionta aren't producting the way we thought they would? Is it his fault all the d-men take turns at sucking (tonight it was Whitey's turn)?

I admit Burns is a serious upgrade and quite a few of the players that are here now weren't when Burns coached so I'm not sure how much his message will 'wear' on the team. Burns can coach with Ruff, Laviolette, Nolan, etc; I'm not sure Julien can. But I don't believe Lou would can Julien a half-season into a three-year deal and I don't think he would have hired Julien for that long if he thought there was a chance Burns could come back.

Hasan IT IS partially Julien's fault. For whatever reason, they aren't playing for him. The Devils have historically needed someone behind the bench who was a ass-kicker. Look at Gomez' play from Larry to Lou. With Lou behind the bench, you will go 100% every shift, because the guy behind the bench is Dr. Evil.

It's not fully the coahces fault for players who don't care, however, you can't change the players as easily as teh coach.

I don't understand why Julien was hired in the first place. He seems in between tough/easy going, and this team isn't playing very well for him on a consistent basis.

Hasan IT IS partially Julien's fault. For whatever reason, they aren't playing for him. The Devils have historically needed someone behind the bench who was a ass-kicker. Look at Gomez' play from Larry to Lou. With Lou behind the bench, you will go 100% every shift, because the guy behind the bench is Dr. Evil.

It's not fully the coahces fault for players who don't care, however, you can't change the players as easily as teh coach.

I don't understand why Julien was hired in the first place. He seems in between tough/easy going, and this team isn't playing very well for him on a consistent basis.

I already made a very long post earlier this season detailing why there isn't close to enough information to say 'The Devils historically need an ass-kicker', whatever that means. More than half this team wasn't here when Larry got canned the first time around, and the other half really aren't the type to slack off regardless of who is coaching (Pando, Madden, Brylin).

Elias is traditionally a late-season guy. Gionta way overperformed expectation last year and is coming back to earth - he's not a 46 goal guy. Gomez - fvck him, if we have to hire a coach for him, he's gone. Langenbrunner is overperforming expectations. Rafalski - underperforming, has nothing to do with coaching. Paul Martin has slowed in his development - I don't think that can be attributed to Julien.

If Elias continues to play this way throughout the season, I'll agree - Julien should go. But as is, he's got a fine squad here, and the Devils are *not* changing coaches midyear again. Lou is certainly not coming back to coach either - I'll bet on that any day.

Whether they are playing well or not, I think line-by-line is doing their very best, except for the first line.

You can't ask anything more from Zajac/Parise/Langenbrunner, the two young guys are playing well and more-importantly in their development, working very hard. Jamie has taken some dumb penalties, and gets frustrated and sort of whines to the refs a bunch, but is playing well too. Madden/Pando/Brylin, fantaastic every night (Although, I'm not sure Brylin fits in perfectly anywhere). The fourth line has been good too.

I just feel like Elias and Gionta are relying, and rightfully so, on Gomez. Gomez is the play maker and the other two are finishers. Gomez half-asses it way too much, and its costing us. I just don't get what his problem is. It's shift to shift with Scotty, some of them he's spot on, other's he's way off.

I feel like Gomer is the only problem.