New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget Mr. Namtteb, wearing a cheap glued on moustache. :lol:

<Daly> I like the way Mr. Namtteb thinks!

re: worst comes to worst - ah well, i'm weak on my idioms. won't be the last time i correct someone and get corrected myself.

re: worst comes to worst - ah well, i'm weak on my idioms. won't be the last time i correct someone and get corrected myself.

As long as we're on idioms...there's another phrase that has never made sense to me. I can't recall it right now (which is bugging the hell outa me), but essentially...the way it's commonly said involves a negative-negative thing, and it makes very little literal sense. Gah...now I'm going to be thinking about it until I figure it out.

Edited by Devsfan118

As long as we're on idioms...there's another phrase that has never made sense to me. I can't recall it right now (which is bugging the hell outa me), but essentially...the way it's commonly said involves a negative-negative thing, and it makes very little literal sense. Gah...now I'm going to be thinking about it until I figure it out.

This might help

http://www.idiomsite.com/

I could care less about your idiom issues.

:lol:

Oh my god. That's it. Wowww, that's hilarious

Shouldn't it be 'couldn't care less'?

Yup. Had a feeling. That one drives me insane.

Also: As per. I think we had a big blowup over use of the term "as per" on this board a few years back. As per that situation, the use of the word "as" in such a situation is redundant and unnecessary.

Yup. Had a feeling. That one drives me insane.

Also: As per. I think we had a big blowup over use of the term "as per" on this board a few years back. As per that situation, the use of the word "as" in such a situation is redundant and unnecessary.

But all of our favorite Canadian hockey insiders use it, leading to it becoming commonly accepted once again. Things took off on it during this years trade deadline as well. Thank you Mr. McKenzie.

NHL certainly has a lot of credibility to lose before the arbitrator if it's obvious they're dragging their feet. If worst comes to worst, the NHLPA could go to court to force the NHL to fish or cut bait by a firm deadline, or, if it really wanted to be bold, request that the court to rule the contract is valid as a remedy for the NHL's failure to arbitrate.

Puck Daddy says each side is submitting a list of three arbitrators. Not clear on how the aribtrator is eventually chosen from the list.

Who are they submitting it to? Each other? Or is there a third party that's holding this in escrow like some mortgage company?

I think Puck Daddy is probably accurate. They're all saying stuff that makes us think that this resolves with all due haste, but in reality they can't decide on which donuts and coffee to have for the arbitor picking hearing. I'm with Tri on this one; about a month or so before this gets resolved. Worse if they have some kind of reality show to figure out who's the arbitor. "Mr. Namtteb, you are the weakest link, goodbye."

Worse if they have some kind of reality show to figure out who's the arbitor. "Mr. Namtteb, you are the weakest link, goodbye."

That would be brilliant. You could call it "Kovy Stay Or Kovy Go?". This is, of course, the next logical step after "Ilya Gonna Go My Way?" and "Klusterchuk 2010".

I have to say, if we lose, this can get very ugly. Bettman can cause all kinds of very serious damage should the NHL win, and seeing as how he absolutely loves the Devils ( :whistling: ), I have no doubt he will use every one of the abilities given to him under the CBA. He can impose up to a $5M fine on the Devils, which counts against the cap, plus another $1M fine on Kovalchuk. As if that weren't enough, he can also take draft picks away.

Who are they submitting it to? Each other? Or is there a third party that's holding this in escrow like some mortgage company?

I think Puck Daddy is probably accurate. They're all saying stuff that makes us think that this resolves with all due haste, but in reality they can't decide on which donuts and coffee to have for the arbitor picking hearing. I'm with Tri on this one; about a month or so before this gets resolved. Worse if they have some kind of reality show to figure out who's the arbitor. "Mr. Namtteb, you are the weakest link, goodbye."

Ordinarily, a third-party, like the American Arbitration Association, will come up with a list of arbitrators for the parties to choose from. Each side ranks the arbitrators, and the Association will choose pursuant to some formula.

Thinking about it a bit more, my guess is that Puck Dadddy's source is either wrong or there was some miscommunication, otherwise the process doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It's highly unlikely that the lists will overlap. So presumably if each side were ranking all six, the 3 the other side chose would necessarily be at the bottom. Unless the goal is to just get six names, and pick one at random. A coin-flip like process like that doesn't seem right though.

Thinking about it a bit more, my guess is that Puck Dadddy's source is either wrong or there was some miscommunication, otherwise the process doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It's highly unlikely that the lists will overlap. So presumably if each side were ranking all six, the 3 the other side chose would necessarily be at the bottom. Unless the goal is to just get six names, and pick one at random. A coin-flip like process like that doesn't seem right though.

Why start making sense now though?

i find it funny that if the devils are wrong they can lose money and and cap space and picks, but if the nhl is wrong contract goes through and thats it. the nhl has nothing to lose here that why they did it

I have to say, if we lose, this can get very ugly. Bettman can cause all kinds of very serious damage should the NHL win, and seeing as how he absolutely loves the Devils ( :whistling: ), I have no doubt he will use every one of the abilities given to him under the CBA. He can impose up to a $5M fine on the Devils, which counts against the cap, plus another $1M fine on Kovalchuk. As if that weren't enough, he can also take draft picks away.

everything you read says there is almost no chance of this. furthermore, i'd bet that JVB would sue the league if they pursued this anymore. while the media coverage is something, the league doesn't want to make this a marquee public thing. winning in arbitration would be MORE than enough for the league because they would've gotten their unofficial cap on contract length.

the NHL wants kovalchuk playing and for a full season- regardless of team. the worst case scenario is that he signs an altered deal that's like 15/100 w/ NJ.

I can't wait for this to end. I won't be shocked it this takes to mid to late August but I hope it moves quickly. While I still believe the Devils and Kovalchuk will come out on top there is that tiny bit of doubt that is making me nervous about this getting rejected and the Devils facing fines/reduced salary cap/loss of picks.

Go Devils, NHLPA, and Kovalchuk!

I created a time-line/synopsis at the beginning of this thread

can every one check it out and make sure it looks good?

thanks

http://njdevs.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=68641&view=findpost&p=898502

Good summation, although I think the order should be reversed, so if one were to read if from top to bottom, it would start with the rumor and end with the arbitration.

Also, some quick links to where each milestone began would be excellent. That way, if you want to jump to where the Kovy signing was first announced, you could just get there without slogging through the thread. While I can't do it now, I'll offer to wade through the thread tonight and collect those links for you to add with your divine admin powers.

Let's be fair, an epic thread deserves epic treatment.