Senators owner cheapshots Devils Brand of Hockey

grcenter47

Trap? Without the redline and and clutch and grabbing, there is nothing even remotely close to a lock or a trap. However, the Devils do play a punishing almost demoralizing brand of hockey all of which is played on the wall. If the team can increase it's finishing ability and slightly increasing the PP production, this team could be dangerous. Just finished watching LA and Van and they both played a "Devils" type game. No room at all.

Edited by hystyk28

Trap? Without the redline and and clutch and grabbing, there is nothing even remotely close to a lock or a trap. However, the Devils do play a punishing almost demoralizing brand of hockey all of which is played on the wall. If the team can increase it's finishing ability and slightly increasing the PP production, this team could be dangerous. Just finished watching LA and Van and they both played a "Devils" type game. No room at all.

The Devils snuff themselves as well.    If you like crisp hockey, they're a mess.   Is it possible Eugene is using the old stereotype like an idiot, but they are really a mess to watch.   They work hard, they can control games, but by god they're a mess.

Does anyone have the exact question that led him to say this? I'm trying to figure out his logic here- he starts off by saying he wants long term stability in the front office and then goes on to talk about New Jersey, who has the most stability in the league in that respect.

I really hope this thread doesn't turn into a 6 page thread. Melnyk is a tool. All Sens fans can't stand him. He loves to talk and say outlandish things. Remember his own CSI investigation for the Matt Cooke hit?

No need for anyone to count rings against Ottawa because of a dumb comment. And, I'll disagree with you about the Sens. They have a top of the line staff that has completely rebuilt the farm system after the mess Muckler left them. They draft and develop a ton of talent.

Well, the Senators think they've won eleven Stanley Cups.  By virtue of reviving the Senators nickname and being located in Ottawa, they decided to take the original Senators' Stanley Cup wins and history (they were a team from 1883-1934, and were in the NHL from 1917-34).  They have banners for not only the NHL Cup wins (four), but the pre-NHL Cup wins as well (seven).  Nothing in common with that franchise at all, save for location and team name. 

I know that the Cleveland Browns kind of did the same thing (the previous Browns had to leave their history behind when they moved to Baltimore to become the Ravens), but hanging 11 banners up that have no real ties to YOUR franchise is pretty weak.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

" I don’t know but I just can’t watch 1-0 and 2-1 hockey games..."

Such an ignorant stmt...  There have been tons of great exciting hockey games that ended in 1-0 & 2-1 scores, and who wants to see a 5-3 of 6-3 game that is just sloppy as hell???

its like watching a slam dunk fest in basket ball

Such an ignorant stmt...  There have been tons of great exciting hockey games that ended in 1-0 & 2-1 scores, and who wants to see a 5-3 of 6-3 game that is just sloppy as hell???

This. I'm not saying these Devils are great, or fun to watch, but I hate the misconception that low scoring is boring. I've seen some great, competitive hockey games in which the defense and goaltending dominated. I've been excited by pitcher's duels in baseball, slugfests in football, and soccer games, which are low scoring in general. I've also been bored by high scoring games in every sport. Low scoring is not necessarily low quality. It takes some brains to appreciate defense, so clearly Melnyk is an idiot.

I guess Melnyk needs (successful) firewagon hockey to put butts in the seats.  

I don't take offense to his comment at all. Devils have had a lot of snoozefest games this year. I appreciate good defensive hockey but their have been some games were the Devils are downright anemic in attack. But hey, sometimes you gotta win ugly.

I wouldn't have a problem with his comments if they related to this season. BUT, you just know he wasn't think of the 2013-2014 Devils, but is instead thinking that we still trap and that it's 1996.

I also want to add that while we have had our share of boring games, we get alot of offensive zone time. We are last in shots per game because we pass up lots of opportunities. I wouldn't call that a boring style though. People don't call out the Kings or Blues because try finish their chances.

Plain and simple, offense wins games and defense wins championships.  If anyone watches the English Premier League, Arsenal plays attractive and beautiful football, yeah and they also haven't won a trophy in 8 years.  I'll take 3 Cups since '95 and this "boring" hockey anyday. 

We are pretty boring... My girlfriend fell asleep during the Devils-Flyers game we lost 1-0 earlier in the season, and I almost nodded off when we played Detroit..

I don't think Melnyk, or anyone outside of this thread, mentioned the trap.

Regardless, Melnyk's a tool. He's as much of a tool, if not more than Dolan.

Edited by DJ Eco

Now that I think about it, it's not what he said that bothers me as much as the fact that it's somehow totally acceptable for anyone, including an owner, to kick the Devils. If an owner or top personality came out and ripped the Rangers, Penguins, Kings, any of the NBC Teams, there would be a huge backlash including a segment on NBC Game of the Week denouncing it.

It seems that when it comes to the Devils, Isles, Phoenix, and maybe a couple of other teams, snarky backhanded comments from commentators are the norm. I remember Nashville was treated this way as well for a while, until they got the Smashville monicker. And of course I understand this is part of being a Devils fan. It just seems so unnecessary at times.

The current team is clearly boring many nights. There's no denying that. But the Devils have worn that label since 1995, even when leading the league in scoring with some top offensive lines and players, and having several HOF players on the team. I don't understand why a league that is trying to grow a product doesn't discourage that kind of labeling. Eh, it is what it is I guess.

Funny this is right now some Ranger fan is probably reading this thread, posting links of it on some Rangers board, and saying "Duuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhh, see, da Debbies really are bawring, even dere own fans finally admit it!"

And yeah, the Devils are not an easy watch a lot of nights.  It seems like scoring a goal for them is SO hard.  Can't imagine what it's like to watch the Sabres most nights. 

I have never been bored watching a devils game. I can see if I was another fan I might be bored watching my team play them because they dominate possession so much.

I do get bored watching pretty much every other team in the league, simply because I'm not a fan of the team (unless the result of the game directly affects the devils)

Damned DJ, that's pretty damned funny.  Did you do that, or find it somewhere? 

I have never been bored watching a devils game. I can see if I was another fan I might be bored watching my team play them because they dominate possession so much.

I do get bored watching pretty much every other team in the league, simply because I'm not a fan of the team (unless the result of the game directly affects the devils)

+ 1. Didn't think to mention this, but imo most real fans are excited by their team, no matter what type of game they play. If Sens fans only want to watch scoring, they're not real fans. If the Sens are winning, the fans should be happy, and butts should be in seats. They're not, so Melnyk feels the need to bash someone else.