Elias re-signed. 3 yrs/5.5 per. 16.5 total. NMC.

ghdi

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Patty took a paycut, he was making 6 if I recall on the last deal. That's a fantastic contract.

Yeah.  I mean who knows about the third year (bit risky), but the Cap should be elevated quite a bit more by that point.

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 1m

Elias statement: "To Lou, all my teammates and Devils' fans, I'm excited to sign a new contract and be back with New Jersey. This year marks my 17th year with the Devils and it's very special to be a member of one organization for my entire career. We've shared some great moments together and I look forward to working with everyone to create new ones. Go Devils!

And that's why I love Patty. A Devil through and through.

It's a little more than I liked, but the Devils had no choice here. He has been the Devils best forward over the last 3 seasons. Top 10 in scoring in 2012. Top 10 for 20 or so games last season before the entire team went cold. Most amount of ice-time in his career in 2012 and third most last season. With the money guys like Kovalchuk, Zajac and Brodeur are making, and the deal Zubrus just signed, there was no real debate.

3-year deals can be a little scary. Hope he stays as motivated as possible to train in the 2015 off-season. His TOI is going to have to be reduced a little bit moving forward. But so excited to have Patty back. 

Edited by devilsrule33

I'm really excited to see him finish out his career as a Devil.

I thought the contract was a little high though.

Are cap space has quickly evaporated. 12 million left with Henrique and Josefson still un-signed.

Yeah but you have to imagine there's a few pieces of ours on the trading block this offseason.. Doubt well be seeing all our currently signed D on the roster in October..

No- it's just dumb.  A team offers what it offers -- what is this bullsh!t about a team might not be able to pay?  Who gives a fvck?  They will pay.  This is just stupid.  You weigh offers not on the possibility of what a team might or might not offer.  You ALWAYS ask no matter how much you THINK a team might have.  This is just plain stupid reasoning.  Why are people even going there?  Not that I even care but .. :wacko:

You are a bit wet behind the ears my man to think that an analysis of sorts isn't done behind the scenes to realistically see what a team may be able and willing to pay you. 

If Elias is signed, sealed, and delivered, Clarkson's camp uses those numbers as leverage knowing what the Dev's cap hit is, and realistically deduce whether or not the team can sign Clarkie.  Ego is also a big factor with this.

"Well, you gave Patty 5.5 so why don't you give me similar money"...

Keep the cards in the deck until absolutely necessary to show them - and Lou works this way and that is why they waited until today to announce this.

Big risk (Elias will be 37, 38, and 39 years old), and one that could potentially blow up if the Devils rely on him too much.  This could wind up being a lifetime achievement contract where the actual return is far below the monetary value.  None of us can say for certain how a guy in his late 30s is going to perform (see Rolston, Brian).

All that being said, I'm glad he's back...I think this was a risk the Devils flat-out had to take.  I really hope this deal works out...if the Devils get two solid years out of Elias, I think everyone made out.  Will be nice to see Elias finish with about 1300 GP and 1100 points.

I actually think Elias is in a better frame of mind about signing this contract than the last one.  I think from the minute he signed that 7-year deal, he questioned the decision quite a bit, especially over the first few years.  Now I think this is simply where he wants to be, end of story. 

Absolutely necessary to bring Patty back, glad the deal got finished and we didn't have to worry about him leaving. Clarkson is another story, but he doesn't bring the full game that Elias does. Hope Patty continues his great play from the last few seasons moving forward and doesn't decline too much with his age. He seems like a guy who can age gracefully like Selanne, Jagr, etc. Just needs to stay healthy.

It's a little more than I liked, but the Devils had no choice here. He has been the Devils best forward over the last 3 seasons. Top 10 in scoring in 2012. Top 10 for 20 or so games last season before the entire team went cold. Most amount of ice-time ever in 2012 and third most last season. With the money guys like Kovalchuk, Zajac and Brodeur are making, and the deal Zubrus just signed, there was no real debate.

3-year deals can be a little scary. Hope he stays as motivated as possible to train in the 2015 off-season. His TOI is going to have to be reduced a little bit moving forward. But so excited to have Patty back. 

This echoes my feelings, too. A bit pricy for a deal that gets the player from 37 to 40 y.o., but spending a bit too much is way better than letting him go - losing Elias would've been catastrophic for the organization. Glad he'll finish his career here and be able to hit 1000 points in a Devils uniform - amazing!

Pretty good offseason so far - free agency hasn't hit yet and we've already re-signed our top free agent, kept another important one in Zubrus and brought in a very good goalie without losing a player. Nice change compared to previous years, when we knew nothing at this point and then proceeded to letting our big UFAs go. Now, let's re-sign Henrique and Josefson, move some D-man and add some offense.