Urbom claimed off waivers by Washington then by Devils from WSH

Marshall

Urbom has a good shot from what I've read about him.

It's average. And he doesn't shoot a lot - 59 SOG in 68 games last year, Gelinas had 137 in 57. Gelinas has always averaged more than 2 shots per game, Urbom has averaged less than 1 (last year), 1 (two years ago) and 1.4 (three years ago, assume he got PP time, which he won't get in NJ...ever).

They're not similar unless you take out the best ability of the better player.

Not sure I agree with that comparison. I see a more physical version of Andy Greene. He states too well for his size not to find a place on some team. It may take another season, maybe 2, but I believe he is a second pairing player.

Skating and size are great combinations.  The problem with Urbom - and I watched a decent amount of him with the Caps - is that his decision-making is poor.  If you can skate and you're big great, but if your decisions don't move at NHL speed, you won't be an NHL player.  It's not really a problem worth correcting at the NHL level, either, because the Devils have plenty of defensemen who are better now and have more potential.

As for Urbom's shot, it IS pretty good - he absolutely hammered in one of his goals this year - but plenty of guys like that have hard shots.  He's not going to be able to use it very often though.

Edited by Triumph