I had a dream where the Devils were heavilied rumoured to get Ovechkin

roomtemp

this reminds me that a few days ago i dreamed about the devils struggling in a very important game and losing the game against the Rangers and in the locker room between the 2nd and the 3rd Stevens got pissed and dressed up to play and nailed everyone. a real cheesy moment ala Disney Mighty ducks lol

Realistically, what do you guys think it would take to get him?

Kovalchuk. We don't have the means to make that trade. We're down a 1st round pick and not exactly sitting on a pile of skilled prospects. And Kovalchuk is older, although his game will likely keep him playing alot longer than Ovie's.

In other words, the trade is pointless. Six of half, half dozen of the other, and a larger cap hit.

Not that I think that Ovechkin to the Devils would EVER happen, but I remember back in '06, I was playing NHL 2K5, and didn't feel like playing through a whole season to get into the playoffs, so I let the computer sim an entire season, make whatever trades it wanted to, etc. By the time the playoffs started, I was surprised to see that one Ilya Kovalchuk was on my Devils. I remember thinking at the time, "Interesting, but only on 2K5...no way he ever plays for the Devils. Lou would never make a trade for a guy like that."

Having Kovy on RW and Ovie on LW would prevent teams from keying on him. But there is no way that is ever happening in anything other than NHL13.

Post of the entire thread and I have only read the first few so far...

Saw the thread title and immediately thought it was a PK post. Then I read it and saw no mentions of a pantsless Scott Stevens.

Oh man, this is in consideration as well...

Forget Ovechkin, but when malkin contract is up, i will not be surprise if lou gets is kool aid work with the russian...

Kovy and Geno on the same line ! wow

man... i dont really want to think about it... but here i am doing it

Henrique Malkin Kovalchuk

Elias Zajac Clarkson

Matteau Josefson Zubrus

Carter Gionta Bernier

*Drooooooool*

Larsson Meril

Fayne Greene

Gelina Urbom

pretty inexperience group of D but i just wanted to get rid of a few names lol it's a dream anyway

Forget Ovechkin, but when malkin contract is up, i will not be surprise if lou gets is kool aid work with the russian...

Kovy and Geno on the same line ! wow

No way in hell Lou pays Malkin anything close to what several other dozen pea-brained GMs will be offering him if he hits the market.

Kovy and geno are close and we never know in life... what i said is i dont see lou trade for ovechkin but he was willing to give big money to a player (parise) and he can inquire for a better player like he did 2 years ago (didnt want to give gionta 5 million and gives 6,6 to a superstar in kovalchuk)

Kovy and geno are close and we never know in life... what i said is i dont see lou trade for ovechkin but he was willing to give big money to a player (parise) and he can inquire for a better player like he did 2 years ago (didnt want to give gionta 5 million and gives 6,6 to a superstar in kovalchuk)

I still can't believe anyone gave Gio $5M that offseason. That was huge money for him, especially when he'd been nothing more than a 25-25-50 player for a few years after his huge 48 goal season. People here thought the Zubrus contract was bad for a while, he puts up 90% of the points Gio has for like 60% of the cash.

I still can't believe anyone gave Gio $5M that offseason. That was huge money for him, especially when he'd been nothing more than a 25-25-50 player for a few years after his huge 48 goal season. People here thought the Zubrus contract was bad for a while, he puts up 90% of the points Gio has for like 60% of the cash.

The first two years weren't that bad, from a goal-scoring standpoint...28 goals in 61 GP the first season, 29 goals in 82 GP in the second. That was about as many goals as Montreal had any right to expect from him, especially coming off four straight seasons of declining goal totals. He was hurt last season, too early to say what this season will be. If he never had that 48-goal season, he's probably would've been more of $4-4.5 million per year guy. But just like the Devils have found out, UFA is a risky business, in that you're (over)paying guys who are getting older more money (most of them, anyway) than they've ever gotten. Lifetime achievement contracts. Obviously, in a perfect world you have a young guy in your system who is ready to go, so you don't have to bite the bullet and overpay for a guy who may or may not do what he did for his previous team, who may or may not fit in with your system, and who may or may not still have years left in him approaching his previous seasons after turning 30. As far as UFA goes, Gio wasn't that bad of a deal, especially when compared with the Rolston-type disasters.

The first two years weren't that bad, from a goal-scoring standpoint...28 goals in 61 GP the first season, 29 goals in 82 GP in the second. That was about as many goals as Montreal had any right to expect from him, especially coming off four straight seasons of declining goal totals. He was hurt last season, too early to say what this season will be. If he never had that 48-goal season, he's probably would've been more of $4-4.5 million per year guy. But just like the Devils have found out, UFA is a risky business, in that you're (over)paying guys who are getting older more money (most of them, anyway) than they've ever gotten. Lifetime achievement contracts. Obviously, in a perfect world you have a young guy in your system who is ready to go, so you don't have to bite the bullet and overpay for a guy who may or may not do what he did for his previous team, who may or may not fit in with your system, and who may or may not still have years left in him approaching his previous seasons after turning 30. As far as UFA goes, Gio wasn't that bad of a deal, especially when compared with the Rolston-type disasters.

Oh, I know it could have been much worse, but still. At the time, they were giving $5M to a guy, who while he had a good 20g-40a-60pt year in 08-09, the previous 2 showed point totals of 45 and 53pts respectively. I just remember hearing he was signed for big $$ and thinking, damn, glad it wasn't us. Even in his past 3 seasons with MTL, he's still only averaged about .5pt/game, he's scored goals a little more than he had here the 3 years prior, but not by much and his point totals are right where they were his whole time in NJ.

Oh, I know it could have been much worse, but still. At the time, they were giving $5M to a guy, who while he had a good 20g-40a-60pt year in 08-09, the previous 2 showed point totals of 45 and 53pts respectively. I just remember hearing he was signed for big $$ and thinking, damn, glad it wasn't us. Even in his past 3 seasons with MTL, he's still only averaged about .5pt/game, he's scored goals a little more than he had here the 3 years prior, but not by much and his point totals are right where they were his whole time in NJ.

First two seasons with Montreal: .754 PPG, .561 PPG...so, in fairness, a bit better than .5 PPG. And he was hurt after the 48-goal season, so that's why he finished with 45 points in 06-07 (in 62 games). The problem with Gio was that he scored 55 goals in his first 90 games after the lockout, and then just 60 in his next 217 games. And in his last season in NJ, he was right around a PPG about 30 games in, then saw his numbers drop off (the Zubes-Elias-Gio line really dropped off in production, though Elias continued to get his points on the power play). That made it really easy in my eyes to let him walk.

And I agree, I didn't want any part of Gio for $5 million per, or for five years. Seemed outrageous to me at the time, but that's how UFA works...overpay for a need and hope it works out.