The Crow-Eating Thread

RowdyFan42

Yeah I'm not bothered by optimistic fans. It's just annoying when you're getting preached at and told you are "not a true fan" because you aren't blindly supportive of them. I don't care for that rhetoric, because I come here for interesting critical discussion of the Devils and the NHL. If we're all just gonna sit around and talk about how amazing the Devils are even when they aren't and don't deserve the praise what's the point of spending time here?

But there's a difference between supporting the team and blindly praising them and saying they're the best team ever. There are smug attitudes on both sides. A lot of people act like "superior asswipes" for being so "unbiased" by predicting the worst for our team instead of supporting them and being positive. There's nothing wrong with being a little biased. We're fans. We're supposed to be biased.

I'm extremely glad and proud they did it! :) The past few springs were far too short for the Devils and not many anticipated a change this year. I fully expected the Devils to beat the Panthers and then go out in the 2nd round. Game 1 of the Flyers series only cemented my pessimism. Boy, am I glad it all changed. :) The 2nd period of Game 2 made me believe we can beat Philly, though I was afraid we would blow it. Game 3 turned me into an optimist altogether B ) (but still a bit cautious).

It's just tremendous how far teamwork and discipline can take you. The boost you get in cofindence in your team after it wins a series you expected them to lose in five games is unbelievable.

Parise's wrap around goal in Game 3 was when I really think I realized this was possible. The atmosphere in the arena was just amazing when that happened... and I remained cautiously optimistic from then on haha.

I think we're going to have it tough next round against our next opponents whoever(cough, Rags) they'll be because NHL wants that team(cough, Rags) to be in the SCF and the Refs have their marching orders to get that team(cough, Rags)as many breaks as possible.

Yeah I'm not bothered by optimistic fans. It's just annoying when you're getting preached at and told you are "not a true fan" because you aren't blindly supportive of them. I don't care for that rhetoric, because I come here for interesting critical discussion of the Devils and the NHL. If we're all just gonna sit around and talk about how amazing the Devils are even when they aren't and don't deserve the praise what's the point of spending time here?

This exactly 100%. I don't even know what stardew is talking about, I feel like she is just pointing out that she predicted the Devils would win this series. The truth is that it's that fans that are trying to have unbiased debate that get attacked by over the top fans who want to scold anyone for not being "positive". It's usually the less experienced fans too. We are here to debate. Not just all pat each other on the back and say good things about our team. I have no idea how StarDew spun this into her being attacked - again maybe it was just a polite way of saying, "hey I don't have to eat crow."

Never doubted this team. Hope that doesn't come off as superior it's just the truth.

nothing wrong with this. kudos to you sir.

It was funny how my gf started the series confident about the Flyers chances, while I was pessimistic and pretty much acting like it was over before it began (preparing for disappointment).. Needless to say, we finished the series with swapped feelings.. Now she's depressed and I'm overjoyed

Let's not forget to enjoy this feeling boys.. You never know when you'll be back so you have to enjoy it

Edited by Colin226

This exactly 100%. I don't even know what stardew is talking about, I feel like she is just pointing out that she predicted the Devils would win this series. The truth is that it's that fans that are trying to have unbiased debate that get attacked by over the top fans who want to scold anyone for not being "positive". It's usually the less experienced fans too. We are here to debate. Not just all pat each other on the back and say good things about our team. I have no idea how StarDew spun this into her being attacked - again maybe it was just a polite way of saying, "hey I don't have to eat crow."

nothing wrong with this. kudos to you sir.

ive had only one interaction with her where she decided to act like a snob in the Game 1 thread. for someone her age and tenure as a fan ruffling feathers and being flippant like a 10 year old reflects just as bad as those shes trying to exploit.

me: well look at it this way. the flyers will be well rested to take on the rangers and thats where youll see bryz cost them a trip to the cup. (i was wrong and admit it)

her: Then we shouldn't see you watching any games or posting in this thread because you are psychic. In over a decade on these forums, I think you have taken the place of GR. You belong on the list.

me: i have a pair of pom poms from the 2003 cup lmk know your section and ill run them over to you as a gift :-) relax and let people say what they want to say its a message board.

her: I want them from the '95 cup. No I want them from the 88 game in Chicago. Hey I really want your banner for the first game every played as the Devils. The stuff you paid for. LOL I think I have forgotten more than you know. Bye bye.

after this above exchange she then has the nerve to say "Remember this is a forum and everyone is entitled to their opinion regardless of how others think" when i basically told her the same thing above and she flew off the handle.

Edited by hockey3893498

Well, different people are looking for different things. Some people are just positive people that like to celebrate the team whether they are doing well or they are losing. I tend to fall into that group.

The way I see it, following a sports team is supposed to be an escape from the troubles and stress of everyday life. It's supposed to be an enjoyment. And reading our own fans spit on the team diminishes that enjoyment. There are negative nellies that predict we are going to lose because we are (1) playing a weak opponent and we always lose to the weak opponents, (2) playing a strong opponent because we just aren't an elite team capable of beating a strong opponent, or (3) playing an average opponent because... well... just because we suck. I want to believe my Toronto Argos are going to win even if their record is 1-12, playing the 13-0 Montreal Alouettes, they have 5 guys out injured including their QB and the coach is suspended. Do I like an intelligent discussion about why we lost the last game? Sure. Do I like discussing the strengths/weaknesses in the team's game? Okay. Do I like talking to people downing their beers bemoaning how the game is lost before it's even played? Not really.

The optimistic fans that want to believe that the team can win when the odds look insurmountable are not the happiest of campers when it comes to internet forums because there is negativity all around. Whether there was ever any real analysis behind it, people love to predict doom and gloom. So the optimists should look elsewhere for their needs. I love hanging out on other teams hockey forums solely because as primarily 3rd party observers they aren't invested emotionally in the Devils and therefore tend to have independent sober thoughts to share about the team, not always predicting doom.

It's a matter of what makes you tick as a person and how to fill those needs. I believed that the Devils could beat the Flyers. But I also believe the Argos are going to win the Grey Cup this year. :)

I never predicted anything. There was nothing unbiased through 2 rounds. If a person was positive, glass half full, we were asked if we were blind, what game were we watching, don't you know what you are watching, etc. Pat each other on the back. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

Well, different people are looking for different things. Some people are just positive people that like to celebrate the team whether they are doing well or they are losing. I tend to fall into that group.

Don gets it. :)

I definitely had a doubt about us getting the series but I thought we'd give a pretty good fight.

This year watching the Devils play the Flyers several times I didn't see them such a godly threat.

But the way they beat the Penguins brought a little intimidation to this series.

I still cheered and watched every game ... :cheers:

Let's just frigging enjoy being in the third round instead of trying to even scores.

Besides, it's not as black and white as always being positive or always being negative. Some people are like that but I generally go between the two. I was negative in the first round, why wouldn't I be...they'd done nothing but choke for the last few years and after Game 3 and blowing nine million other multi-goal leads I thought it was going to happen again. Florida gets one OT goal and we're having a very different discussion now...because then the board's a wasteland. And I don't think too many people who acted negative would be taking curtain calls, unless they're just sour human beings in general.

Granted, some people are like that around here but the majority of the negativity comes from passion. Some people can watch totally detached and cool...to me that takes some of the excitement out of it. I can watch like that in the regular season for the most part but in the postseason it's different, especially since this team needed to win the first round in the absolute worst way.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I never predicted anything. There was nothing unbiased through 2 rounds. If a person was positive, glass half full, we were asked if we were blind, what game were we watching, don't you know what you are watching, etc. Pat each other on the back. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

Don gets it. :)

it's not to positive to come back at your fellow fans and post what you did at the top. again, you're neglecting the whole other side of the story. I am happy you're happy to be positive but you weren't attacked any more than those who were critical. And no one was saying anything about positive/negative a couple weeks back - it was just: "i think the Devils are playing like crap,"and then right after we'd win a few posters would be like, "All you negative doubting people should screw the F off..." and other things of that nature. Its happened all playoffs.

Granted, some people are like that around here but the majority of the negativity comes from passion. Some people can watch totally detached and cool...to me that takes some of the excitement out of it. I can watch like that in the regular season for the most part but in the postseason it's different, especially since this team needed to win the first round in the absolute worst way.

This.

I need to eat crow about Zach. After game 5 against Florida, I was ready to dump him, take Suter, and never look back. Zach's still playing, and he's a big reason, if not the biggest reason ANY of them are still playing. Tastes good.