Brodeur named Opening Night Starter

StormJosh

According to NBC Brodeur was named the starter for opening night.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/17/devils-name-brodeur-opening-night-starter/related/

Seems a bit premature to me, but I doubt the opening night starter will dictate who gets the most starts going forward.

Edit: Here's a better source: https://twitter.com/Ledger_NJDevils/status/379999655607930880

Edited by StormJosh

So now here's the big question:

Since the Devils open in Pittsburgh, and then host the Isles the very next night, who starts the home opener? Do they start the 41-year-old Brodeur two straight nights with travel in between and snub the "future" goalie right off the bat? Or do they give the new guy the first game of the season in front of the home fans and snub the guy who's been the face of the franchise forever?

So now here's the big question:

Since the Devils open in Pittsburgh, and then host the Isles the very next night, who starts the home opener? Do they start the 41-year-old Brodeur two straight nights with travel in between and snub the "future" goalie right off the bat? Or do they give the new guy the first game of the season in front of the home fans and snub the guy who's been the face of the franchise forever?

"Snub" the future goalie right off the bat.  Marty is the franchise and deserves his likely last home opener start.  Schneider will get over it...

I think this definitely means Schneider will start the home opener.  Couldn't be happier, since I'll be at that game.

I would think so as well. If they're not gonna split the back-to-backs, then what the hell do we have two expensive goalies for?

I think they give Schneider the home opener to introduce him to the fans. I don't think the home opener is all that big a deal for Marty. Not like playing the last game of the season at home or getting one more game in Montreal.

I think this definitely means Schneider will start the home opener.  Couldn't be happier, since I'll be at that game.

Ditto.

Although, I was thinking since this is probably Marty's last year, they would give Schneider Pittsburgh (who is a better team than NYI) and Marty would take his final home opener. This is under the condition that the Devils brass realize how much better Schneider is, but who knows?

If they snub him the first 2 then it guarantees he plays game 3 in Vancouver...

Game 4 is in Vancouver, but still, I think you're probably right. It kinda sets up well to start the season with the tandem splitting 50/50 of the first four starts. Those four games are a pair of back-to-backs with travel between:

10/3 Game 1 @ Pittsburgh: Brodeur

10/4 Game 2 vs. NY Islanders: Schneider

10/7 Game 3 @ Edmonton: Brodeur

10/8 Game 4 @ Vancouver: Schneider

Ditto.

Although, I was thinking since this is probably Marty's last year, they would give Schneider Pittsburgh (who is a better team than NYI) and Marty would take his final home opener. This is under the condition that the Devils brass realize how much better Schneider is, but who knows?

I think they're going into the season on the assumption -- whether they believe it or not -- that the goalies are the same.  So long as Marty is getting his wins, ugly or otherwise, and healthy, he'll start half or more of the games. 

If the Devils make the playoffs, that's where things will get interesting. 

Ditto.

Except Marty has historically played Pittsburgh great, including the Crosby Malkin Pens. 

Suppose it's not that big a deal having Brodeur start the season with back to backs...it's a fresh as he's ever going to be.

Still would rather have Schneider start in Pitt...

What really worries me is that Brodeur hasn't announced that it's his last season. I was expecting some kind of Mariano Rivera farewell tour 

Edited by '7'

I think they're going into the season on the assumption -- whether they believe it or not -- that the goalies are the same.  So long as Marty is getting his wins, ugly or otherwise, and healthy, he'll start half or more of the games. 

If the Devils make the playoffs, that's where things will get interesting. 

If the Devilsmake the playoffs and Schneider's not playing (assuming he's playing with similar #'s that he had in Van), I'll wanna jump off a bridge 

Edited by DH26

They are going into the season with Marty as the starter. If Schneider stays as solid as he's been the last few years (and Monday night), he will clearly be the better goalie as the season wears on. Wouldn't shock me to see Marty get starts in the Pit, and NYI games with Schneider's first being the Edmonton or Canucks game.

I think the Devils organization knows that Marty has been slowing down and that Cory is entering his prime. More than likely, they announced Marty as the starter of the opener now to avoid the inevitable questions if Marty doesn't have a solid pre-season. I imagine them stubbornly holding on to Marty as the starter, but hopefully Schneider makes it obvious who the guy is by January.

And that's no knock to Marty. I just think Marty needs to know he can retire with the team in safe hands, and Schneider and the Devils need to know he's THE guy. I think that would make a long term extension much easier to sign.

I know the Devils coaches seldom give reasons for why they're starting Brodeur (just that they are, and always, and forever), but I can imagine the wonderful litany of excuses here when Brodeur lurches out of the gate as he has 2 out of the last 3 years.  'Well, he has to start in Vancouver, that's where Richard Brodeur played'.  'He has good numbers historically against Edmonton'.

There's just no way that Martin Brodeur should start the first two games of the season.  I don't care if he shuts out Pittsburgh or allows 6 goals, Cory Schneider should start Game 2.  

If Marty plays like he has been and still gets to call the shots on his starting then I expect the team will get angry - though they all seem fine with Salvadore so what do they I know?

The team played so well in front of Schneider -- does anyone think there may be a slight lack of confidence in Marty coloring things?  I mean he's a legend and a great guy is he hamstringing the team though?  I wondered that after seeing how mentally free the team was playing on Monday. I'm not saying he's that bad -- but is there a lack of trust there?  I've always said Marty's bad is the best guys normal.  But nonetheless, bad is bad when you're used to better...  or whatever I may be trying to articulate here.