2013-2014 Attendance

Mike Brown

There were definitely visible Bruin fans on tv...but not 5,000 worth

I was just throwing a number out there.  But it was a lot of Bruins fans.  The 200's were like 30% black and yellow.  I'd say at least 2,000 total were Bruins fans.

Gotta give the fans something to cheer about, first.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

The Elias goal was definitely worth cheering about.  Granted, it was early in the period, and not everybody was back in their seats, but still.

Counting tonight since coming out of the Olympics, we've had 6 of 7 home games be 15,000 or plus.  Overall on the year, we're averaging 90% capacity which is the highest since we opened the Rock not counting last year.  This is also not including the Stadium Series game.  

BTW, just so you guys know, ESPN attendance page is incorrect as they include the Stadium Series game into their number for the Devils.  Also they still have us at the old 17,625 seating capacity.

Edited by Mike Brown

..aren't we? Tonight's game was announced at nearly 18,000 fans in the building.

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20132014/GS021061.HTM

We have a 16,592 capacity this year.  That's what all sellouts are being listed at.  That number.  Rumor on the block is that they stopped counting luxury boxes this year into the number.  The number yesterday was just plain headscratching.

Whatever. We're averaging close to 16,000 this season.. and averaged over 17,000 last season. If you go by track-record history of the franchise, these last 2 years were the best back-to-back seasons the Devils have had in 16 years.

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendance/att_graph.php?tmi=7066

..let's also remember that many home games were played in blizzard conditions, off the worst winter in NJ in 18 years. December & January really killed us. We're averaging 16,000 for the months of February & March.

I'm happy with the numbers.

We have a 16,592 capacity this year.  That's what all sellouts are being listed at.  That number.  Rumor on the block is that they stopped counting luxury boxes this year into the number.  The number yesterday was just plain headscratching.

I think there are 17,625 seats in the building WITHOUT counting the boxes. 16,592 is not that much more than the Nassau coliseum. No way there are that few seats in the building without counting the luxury boxes

Whatever. We're averaging close to 16,000 this season.. and averaged over 17,000 last season. If you go by track-record history of the franchise, these last 2 years were the best back-to-back seasons the Devils have had in 16 years.

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendance/att_graph.php?tmi=7066

..let's also remember that many home games were played in blizzard conditions, off the worst winter in NJ in 18 years. December & January really killed us. We're averaging 16,000 for the months of February & March.

I'm happy with the numbers.

We've been at about 90% capacity this year which is great.  Be careful using ESPN though.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance

There's also this site.  Except this site has the number for each individual game.  Look at game number 25.  They include the Stadium Series games into their numbers.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=nhl/teams/131/attendance.aspx?team=131

Here is a personal spreadsheet I made on Google Drive that doesn't include the Stadium Series game.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhBpw-VCaXzXdG03bk1ZMDBkQ0RwVGV5TUw4ZFFVeEE&usp=drive_web#gid=0

Edited by Mike Brown

..as far as I'm concerned, the Stadium Series game negates the 5-6 home games played in blizzard conditions this season, that directly effected our attendance. I don't feel like I'm cheating including that game.. sorry.

I also noticed that our first game against the Islanders earlier this season isn't classified as a sellout, despite the fact that the figure for that game is actually higher than the alleged number for capacity this season. If you include that game as a sellout, along with the Outdoor game, then we have 12 sellouts this year. Now take is a step further: --add in the 18 sellouts we had last year.. plus the 11 playoff games that were all soldout during the SCF run the season before that.. AND the last home game against Ottawa of the 2012 regular season. Then the Devils have soldout the Rock a total of 42 times, of a possible 69 home games.. off a span going all the way back to the 2011-12 regular season.

..is it Maple Leaf attendance type numbers? -no. But is it really as bad as so many people want to make it seem either??

..as far as I'm concerned, the Stadium Series game negates the 5-6 home games played in blizzard conditions this season, that directly effected our attendance. I don't feel like I'm cheating including that game.. sorry.

I also noticed that our first game against the Islanders earlier this season isn't classified as a sellout, despite the fact that the figure for that game is actually higher than the alleged number for capacity this season. If you include that game as a sellout, along with the Outdoor game, then we have 12 sellouts this year. Now take is a step further: --add in the 18 sellouts we had last year.. plus the 11 playoff games that were all soldout during the SCF run the season before that.. AND the last home game against Ottawa of the 2012 regular season. Then the Devils have soldout the Rock a total of 42 times, of a possible 69 home games.. off a span going all the way back to the 2011-12 regular season.

..is it Maple Leaf attendance type numbers? -no. But is it really as bad as so many people want to make it seem either??

A lot of people thought our attendance was gonna drop off this year.  While it did drop off from last year, last year kind of needs to be thrown out imo.  Our attendance has been excellent this season all things considered.

What is a sellout??  lol

They've been calling 16,592 a sellout all year.  However, there have been two games that exceeded that number, and only 1 of those 2 was called a sellout.  The opening night game against the Islanders was recorded as 16,624, but not counted as a sellout.  The recent game against the Rags was 17,829.  What's weird about that one is that we can't have standing room tickets, and that number even exceeded the old sellout number which was 17,625.

To answer the question though, a sellout is 16,592.

Edited by Mike Brown

A lot of people thought our attendance was gonna drop off this year.  While it did drop off from last year, last year kind of needs to be thrown out imo.  Our attendance has been excellent this season all things considered.

They've been calling 16,592 a sellout all year.  However, there have been two games that exceeded that number, and only 1 of those 2 was called a sellout.  The opening night game against the Islanders was recorded as 16,624, but not counted as a sellout.  The recent game against the Rags was 17,829.  What's weird about that one is that we can't have standing room tickets, and that number even exceeded the old sellout number which was 17,625.

To answer the question though, a sellout is 16,592.

The capacity of 17,625 was what the Rock held from 2007 to 2013.  Before this season, the arena added an entire row of seats behind the last row of club seats for 4 of the 6 club sections.  This is probably what made up the difference and led to the 17,829 figure against the Rags. 

Just to clarify, the team (and very likely every other professional sports team) has never counted luxury box seating as part of its general attendance figures.  

I have to agree with you there.  I can't remember another season where so many Devils games were played during a heavy snowstorm that clearly affected people's willingness to travel to/from a game.  I think the way you are looking at it is a fair assessment. 

Another thing I've been noticing is how empty the building seems for the start of games - but it fills up by 7:30.  Anyone think that a 7:30 start time would be better to get people in the seats by the opening puck drop than the current 7 p.m.? 

I have to agree with you there.  I can't remember another season where so many Devils games were played during a heavy snowstorm that clearly affected people's willingness to travel to/from a game.  I think the way you are looking at it is a fair assessment. 

Another thing I've been noticing is how empty the building seems for the start of games - but it fills up by 7:30.  Anyone think that a 7:30 start time would be better to get people in the seats by the opening puck drop than the current 7 p.m.? 

I remember when 7:30 starts were the norm and those always sucked, even at CAA.  The games ended usually earliest by 10PM and then for a lot of peopel the commute home was long.  I remember at CAA by the middle of the 3rd period, winning or losing almost half the crowd left.

pretty good stretch. i wouldve liked 2 see at least 50 sellouts in that timeframe, but meh. not bad at all

pretty good stretch. i wouldve liked 2 see at least 50 sellouts in that timeframe, but meh. not bad at all

Keep in mind, that figure is only SELLOUTS. Actual sellouts. So, although I feel 42 sellouts in a span of 69 home games is very good (and it is) many of the other 27 home games remaining that weren't soldout, still drew very good crowds. We've had 5 games this season of over 16,000+ that weren't considered sellouts. 3 games last season of over 16,000+ that weren't considered sellouts, etc..

It's still two seasons back-to-back of over 90% capacity anyway you slice it. --something this franchise has never had.

..perception is reality, and despite the overall good stats\numbers, people are still going to hear "Devils Hockey" and assume the Devils can't draw. But facts are facts, and the fact is; you can't help but feel good about where the attendance is over the last 2 seasons.

Edited by Beezer34

Most people commute to the games, if they started at 7:30, and you ended up with say an OT or shootout game...there's a good chance you'd have lots of fans missing their trains.

See, I think there's a split right down the middle. I and other people I know who go to games or have season tickets would absolutely love 7:30 start times. For many of us coming from jobs in Manhattan, a "9-to-5" job doesn't even exist anymore; I wish.... For people who work in NYC, chances are you work until 6:30/7, possibly later. To get to the game by 7 for puck drop, I have to run out of my office and look like the a-hole running out before anyone else, including my bosses. That's more a commentary on the work-day and worker's rights after the recession than anything Devils- or hockey-related; the age of no paid-overtime and 10+ hour days... *sigh*

But yes, on the flipside, I totally understand they have to play that delicate balance between getting families and people to the West of Newark comfortable going to games, while trying to attract the commuter/PATH/Hudson County/New York base as well. It's a toughie... I know a few people who'd get season tickets if games started at 7:30, but like you said, I'm sure it'd affect countless others negatively as well.

Edited by DJ Eco