Kovalchuk Gone, What moves do we make now?

grcenter47

This might have been mentioned already: But how about Tomas Vanek to New Jersey?

Darcy Regier just gave your franchise one gift this past week, why not another?

I said it earlier:  Vanek and Elias would be unstopable.   Depends on what we have to give up.

I said it earlier:  Vanek and Elias would be unstopable.   Depends on what we have to give up.

Well I have a feeling the Sabres are motivated to make a Vanek trade and hopefully pawn Miller off on someone (he will be a deadline move at best).

And since the Devils and Sabres just recently talked trade, I really think Vanek to New Jersey can be a reality.

He did no such thing, unless it's a gift to take an underpaid 2nd pairing D for a nothing player.

Vanek would be an awful panic move.

Buffalo took an overpaid, average defensemen off our roster freeing up capspace.   that was a gift.

We don't have the assets to acquire Vanek. We don't have the assets to aquire anyone on that level through trade.

We'd have to give up at least Henrique, a D prospect, and a good pick. 

We're going to have to roll with team we have + maybe Jagr or Grabovski or something and hope we can squeak into the playoffs somehow. The good news is the Flyers should still suck too and the Isles and Rags aren't really contenders yet either so there's a small chance.

Vanek has Kovy part 2 written all over it. First, he costs 7.1 mil, you're looking at sending picks and at least 2 top young players to Buffalo. In addition he's a UFA after 13-14 so we'd get to relive all the excitement of the 2010 off season while Vanek decides if he wants to come back or not.

You know what the problem is, here? You'll never be happy and you'll die alone.

And you know what, what was he supposed to stay? He knew that it was a possible decision. He was supposed to say "hey, heads up, our star player kinda wants to go home so we don't really know if he'll be here". If he decided to stay, that's the ONLY thing people would talk about. This isn't Lou dropping a ball, this is you sucking one.

We don't need a center, Zajac isn't paid to play on the third line, and in what universe would Tedenby play over Loktionov?[/quote

Like I said fvck you a$$hole

Vanek has Kovy part 2 written all over it. First, he costs 7.1 mil, you're looking at sending picks and at least 2 top young players to Buffalo. In addition he's a UFA after 13-14 so we'd get to relive all the excitement of the 2010 off season while Vanek decides if he wants to come back or not.

Good points.

For the first time in years, I am looking to re-new my season ticket package.   I like the team right now, because I know the kids finally have a chance to step-up (talking about Josefson in particular).

If we sign Jagr, I will keep my money.  Because it is a step in the wrong direction.

Manta, you hated Kovy from day 1.  Please tell the board right now that you honestly believe the Devils are a better team without Kovy than with him?!?

Manta, you hated Kovy from day 1.  Please tell the board right now that you honestly believe the Devils are a better team without Kovy than with him?!?

I thought I made that clear in my opening statement.    But yes, I believe the Devil's will be a better team without Kovy.

And for the billionth time, I never hated Kovy, I didn't think he fit in the culture and the team concept of the Devils.

For the first time in years, I am looking to re-new my season ticket package.   I like the team right now, because I know the kids finally have a chance to step-up (talking about Josefson in particular).

If we sign Jagr, I will keep my money.  Because it is a step in the wrong direction.

I don't think it would be. Jagr wouldn't be locked up for long and it would be a stop gap until 2014 where there will be quite an impressive free agent class. Jagr on a 1 year deal couldn't hurt. Although I feel a better option would be Brunner on a 1-2 year deal.

I agree that this loss isn't as bad as some fans are making out. We have quite a bit of cap space now and we lose a first round draft pick in a weak draft. If this team can just make the playoffs I'll consider this season a success because I'm sure a lot of people now have us as this basement team. Which is BS.

I just realized. We won't have kovalchuk doing turn overs for 2 minutes on the blue line during powerplays. We will have an effective powerplay this year!!! excited!

Well we will certainly be less predictable on the PP. We won't have 4 guys paying pass the puck just to set one guy up for a shot.

I don't think it would be. Jagr wouldn't be locked up for long and it would be a stop gap until 2014 where there will be quite an impressive free agent class. Jagr on a 1 year deal couldn't hurt. Although I feel a better option would be Brunner on a 1-2 year deal.

I agree that this loss isn't as bad as some fans are making out. We have quite a bit of cap space now and we lose a first round draft pick in a weak draft. If this team can just make the playoffs I'll consider this season a success because I'm sure a lot of people now have us as this basement team. Which is BS.

Stop gap is not a winning strategy. 

I can' t see paying an old, slow, former scoring threat several millions (based on what he did a decade ago) to watch him play half a season, get his annual injury and then watch him struggle in the first round of the playoffs and then gone when we get eliminated. 

PASS on JAGR.    Maybe we have a Clarkson, or some other undrafted player waiting in the wings to get a chance.

I think we have a young eager team that will NOW get the opportunity to play.

While there are pros and cons about Kovy leaving, how it affects the power play is EASILY the biggest flaw. Do you guys remember how it looked when he was hurt? Kovalchuk was an incredible threat on the power play and right now we don't have a single guy to feature.

True, but that was because it was constructed with Kovalchuk, without Kovalchuk being there. This year, they'll have the summer to construct a balanced powerplay.

Whether it'll be better or worse is up in the air, but as noted before, it will definitely be less predictable

While there are pros and cons about Kovy leaving, how it affects the power play is EASILY the biggest flaw. Do you guys remember how it looked when he was hurt? Kovalchuk was an incredible threat on the power play and right now we don't have a single guy to feature.

Our PP sucked with him as the focal point and all I remember are all the short handed opportunites afforded the opposition when he played point.   Our PP will improve now.

Our PP sucked with him as the focal point and all I remember are all the short handed opportunites afforded the opposition when he played point.   Our PP will improve now.

This is preposterous Manta. Did you watch how they performed when he was hurt? Steve freaking Sullivan manning the point? Are you kidding

Stop gap is not a winning strategy. 

I can' t see paying an old, slow, former scoring threat several millions (based on what he did a decade ago) to watch him play half a season, get his annual injury and then watch him struggle in the first round of the playoffs and then gone when we get eliminated. 

PASS on JAGR.    Maybe we have a Clarkson, or some other undrafted player waiting in the wings to get a chance.

I think we have a young eager team that will NOW get the opportunity to play.

The Bluejackets have had a young and eager team for the last 10 years

This is preposterous Manta. Did you watch how they performed when he was hurt? Steve freaking Sullivan manning the point? Are you kidding

The Bluejackets have had a young and eager team for the last 10 years

the PP was practiced and constructed to feature ONE PLAYER.   What did you expect.   We were predictable and SH teams licked thier chops seeing Kovy at the point.

The BlueJackets only NOW are a young and eager team.  In the past they have spent millions on UFA's trying to build something that doesn't work.  They also don't have the scouts that we do.