Devils re-sign Zidlicky

MadDog2020

1 year, $4M according to Friedman.  Well, he likes it here, that's good, and he signed for a fair price given his age, but I'm hoping this means that they think Severson will be ready in 2015, otherwise things start to get dicey.  I imagine this means Fayne is not coming back which is a pretty big blow, actually, just have to hope he goes outside the Conference.

one year deal of course which it had to be - money will likely be $4MM give or take. again, it's not the money. it's the roster spot. i'm ok with this pending other decisions. if lou brings the whole 9 back again, i just give up.

greene-merrill

larsson-gelinas

zidlicky-volchenkov

harrold

this assumes fayne moves on and salvador is cut. i think lou wants to absolutely move a kid defenseman for a forward if he can make the deal happen.

one year deal of course which it had to be - money will likely be $4MM give or take. again, it's not the money. it's the roster spot. i'm ok with this pending other decisions. if lou brings the whole 9 back again, i just give up.

greene-merrill

larsson-gelinas

zidlicky-volchenkov

harrold

this assumes fayne moves on and salvador is cut. i think lou wants to absolutely move a kid defenseman for a forward if he can make the deal happen.

It's Volch. Lou and Deboer have done a lot of talking, and I think both know one of Sal and Volch HAS to go. It's just Sal has "the snot". Volch appparently does not. 

I'm not his biggest fan but the Devils need his offense. I won't complain about 1/4.

Hopefully this doesn't mean Fayne is gone but it sure seems like it. Either way they already have 6 D under contract now and 2 RFA's so it's still a crowded blue line. I hope Lou finds a way to move Salvador out and keep Volchenkov since I still think he's solid on the PK but as DR33 said, all signs point against Volchenkov being in NJ next year.

Albany also has a lot of quality depth so I wonder if Lou is going to make a trade like sundstrom mentioned.

It's Volch. Lou and Deboer have done a lot of talking, and I think both know one of Sal and Volch HAS to go. It's just Sal has "the snot". Volch appparently does not.

I'd prefer to keep Volch over Sal, but Volch has another year after this, so that makes it an easier decision. They need to protect Sal and play him on the 3rd pairing though. He simply cannot be on the ice against the other team's best players. He just can't. It also means Sal keeps the C. Hopefully that will be given to Greene when/if he re-signs next summer.

Also- I hope this doesn't mean Fayne is on the way out. I can totally see Fayne going to the Bruins. They need a guy exactly like him and he'd be (SHOCKER) going home. It makes sense.

Edited by MadDog2020

It's still better that Volchenkov goes because Salvador is a walking injury and Volchenkov has 2 years left on his deal.  The problem is that the Devils are going to want 'jam' on their defense and the free agent market is always the worst place to find this sort of player - you can get Tallinders and Faynes for cheap, but your physical D don't come cheap relative to their ability.

Lou waiting till the last minute again, re-signing someone just 30 days before free agency.

This made me laugh...good one.

Hard to complain about this one...one year at reasonable money, he can be moved if things don't go according to plan, and defensemen capable of 10+ goals and 40+ points aren't that easy to find.  He also doesn't miss games.  Sure, it's not always pretty in his own end, but I'm fine with this signing.

Curious to see what comes next...Jagr, Elias, and Zids aren't getting any younger...there's a bit of a "right now" feel with this team for sure.

This made me laugh...good one.

Hard to complain about this one...one year at reasonable money, he can be moved if things don't go according to plan, and defensemen capable of 10+ goals and 40+ points aren't that easy to find.  He also doesn't miss games.  Sure, it's not always pretty in his own end, but I'm fine with this signing.

Curious to see what comes next...Jagr, Elias, and Zids aren't getting any younger...there's a bit of a "right now" feel with this team for sure.

I'll disagree here. It's not the best situation when those are the three players the Devils will really count on the offense coming from, but Jagr and Zid are one year deals. It's low risk and high reward. Lou has to find a way to improve the forward position right now , but I don't get the "right now" feel. It's just a "we need these guys for offense or we are so fvcked kind of feel"

It's too bad there isn't a "special teams" bench spot (as in a position that can only play on the PK or PP) because Volch would be perfect for that position. Not that he's horrible at even strength but he's just really good on the PK.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

It's still better that Volchenkov goes because Salvador is a walking injury and Volchenkov has 2 years left on his deal.  The problem is that the Devils are going to want 'jam' on their defense and the free agent market is always the worst place to find this sort of player - you can get Tallinders and Faynes for cheap, but your physical D don't come cheap relative to their ability.

i don't understand what you're saying? do you think they're going to go out and sign another defenseman? i think there is virtually no chance of that unless they trade 2 or more guys.

they'll get their jam from whoever stays of anton and sal.

i don't understand what you're saying? do you think they're going to go out and sign another defenseman? i think there is virtually no chance of that unless they trade 2 or more guys.

Lou doesn't like the word jam. The thought of jam makes him sick. He smashes jars of jam. They are all for "snot", however.

• Like 1

1 year, $4M according to Friedman.  Well, he likes it here, that's good, and he signed for a fair price given his age, but I'm hoping this means that they think Severson will be ready in 2015, otherwise things start to get dicey.  I imagine this means Fayne is not coming back which is a pretty big blow, actually, just have to hope he goes outside the Conference.

i might be in the minority when saying this but during our 11-12 run, he only wanted to come here via trade. that holds a lot of weight with me that someone wants to come here

They'll need a 'snot' D after Salvador is gone.  And Salvador is gone after 2014-15.  This means dipping into free agency - I don't think Helgeson is an NHLer and I don't think Santini will be ready.