GDT: NJ Devils vs. NY Rangers - 12:30pm on NBC - Stadium Series Editio

Colin226

right, hence my question. Somehow I'd prefer a statistical analysis over your estimate of "a handful of games". Again, somebody specifically mentioned emery, who over the past 75 games has a .905 save percentage. So what does that mean in terms of games win/lost if you figure Cory's backup will hopefully play 20-25 games next season.

I would very much prefer if Marty retired this offseason, but I want to know what he's cost us if he didn't.

I think the fear is Marty might not even be a .900 guy next season...he could easily be an .885-.890 type.  Emery may not be anything special, but he's only 31 years old...it's probably not unreasonable to think he could be a .905-.910 guy for the next few years.  Not saying he'd be my first choice, but it's really not that hard to improve from a puck-stopping standpoint over what a 42-year-old Marty will give you. 

But you don't know.  Brodeur is at .895 now.  Who's to say it won't be .880 next year?  He's old.  The Devils don't have a strong offense and won't have one next year either.  And you don't know - maybe Schneider struggles a bit early and Brodeur becomes the starter, AGAIN.  I just don't trust anyone involved to make the right decisions until Brodeur is gone.

Unfortunately, this is true.  Brodeur has meant so much to this organization over the years, and is sooo close to Lou, that it makes it almost impossible to tell him he's going to play only 10-15 games as a backup before the season starts and there will be no opportunity for him to "win" the during camp or the season. 

If they bring Marty back next year, we are back in the same situation as this season.  It needs to be a clean break where either (a) he retires, or (b) he is not offered a new contract.  I can't see it working any other way. 

Brodeur is at .895 now.  

.899, no need to make it worse than it already is, lol

I think the problem with Marty is more than just on the ice. As long as he's here, it's still looked at as his team. And he'll still be looking to start. I think this off season is time for a clean break and a stop gap backup unless they feel Kinkaid is ready.

this is true and that's why I said I would very much prefer Marty call it quits this offseason. I just wanted to understand why the decisive call for it amongst many. I feel it's more emotional and off ice then the actual performance. A combination of not wanting his legacy to be tarnished with an ugly end and what effect he might have in the team if he stuck around.

But that's not what some upthread have brought up, or has been discussed in large in the other silly thread about Marty. Most of this is a result of his on ice performance. If he was pulled after letting in 4 and we lost 4-3 is there this big clamor of retire Marty chants? My only point is that from a pure numbers standpoint we can get by as Marty as a backup, but I agree with triumph and you that I don't trust that to happen if he sticks around.

The problem is after every loss and especially after an ugly loss on national tv everyone scrambles to find the goat of the game, and the hive mind this board creates takes it to absurd levels against the same targets. I'm just trying to help bring some balance of rational thought.

I understand the Marty analysis and agree with most of it, but damn the team defense was atrocious yesterday. I wonder, what can be done to address it?

Removing Salvador from the line-up would instantly help things on that front... Of course that isn't gonna happen though.

Removing Salvador from the line-up would instantly help things on that front... Of course that isn't gonna happen though.

Gelinas deserved a demotion he was that bad yesterday...which is probably the more likely solution.  Though it's too much to hope for him getting replaced by Larsson as opposed to Harrold since Larsson's apparently still too diseased to play in the NHL.

But you don't know.  Brodeur is at .895 now.  Who's to say it won't be .880 next year?  He's old.  The Devils don't have a strong offense and won't have one next year either.  And you don't know - maybe Schneider struggles a bit early and Brodeur becomes the starter, AGAIN.  I just don't trust anyone involved to make the right decisions until Brodeur is gone.

I don't trust them to make the right decisions about a lot of things these days.  Between Pete's quote about save percentage meaning nothing, Lou's comic non-handling of our defensive glut and the joint mismanagement of the roster much of what goes on is utterly mind-boggling these days.

I understand the Marty analysis and agree with most of it, but damn the team defense was atrocious yesterday. I wonder, what can be done to address it?

the defense is not the usual problem- the devils still allow the fewest shots per game in the nhl. I think we can just scratch yesterday up to the uniqueness of the game. If they continue to give up multiple 3 on 1s over the next few games then we can say that there is a problem that needs to be addressed.

Until then, I think with Cory in net, our d limiting shots against, and our offense and power play finally coming around (3 goals a game with our usual d and goaltending is going to be enough), we're in good shape.

Gelinas deserved a demotion he was that bad yesterday...which is probably the more likely solution. 

He gets caught so many times to give the other team a 3 on 1 or a 4 on 2 it's kills me.  And it bothers me because he can be so good and has the talent to be able to play 2 way hockey. Reminds me of Rafalski a bit.  

the defense is not the usual problem- the devils still allow the fewest shots per game in the nhl. I think we can just scratch yesterday up to the uniqueness of the game. If they continue to give up multiple 3 on 1s over the next few games then we can say that there is a problem that needs to be addressed.

Until then, I think with Cory in net, our d limiting shots against, and our offense and power play finally coming around (3 goals a game with our usual d and goaltending is going to be enough), we're in good shape.

I really throw this one out.  A lot of miscues that we really haven't been seeing that much of.  I don't think everything's gone to sh!t because of it.  I don't know if they'll make the playoffs (probably comes down to the wire), but I definitely don't think they were exposed and will now fall apart.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I really throw this one out.  A lot of miscues that we really haven't been seeing that much of.  I don't think everything's gone to sh!t because of it.  I don't know if they'll make the playoffs (probably comes down to the wire), but I definitely don't think they were exposed and will now fall apart.   

I said this a while ago when a lot of people were upset that Gelinas was getting scratched instead of Merill. Gelinas is pretty bad defensively. There is an element he brings offensively that is special, but for a while there, the offense was gone and the defense was atrocious. I expect to see some very good and some terrible moving forward.

The issue is right now that after Greene and Fayne, there are 4 defenseman that all have their faults. I really don't want to lump Volchenkov in that category because he has been pretty good lately, but when you pair him with Salvador, it can be messy, Anyway, any combination of Volch, Salvador, Zidlicky, and Gelinas and there will be issues. Be it bad pinches, bad turnovers, bad breakouts, being too slow, etc. 

So, while I don't think we will see as many breakdowns as the Rangers game, I don't expect it to be as smooth as it has been in the past. Not new issues, but I don't love this group of 6 right now, especially in front of Marty.

I said this a while ago when a lot of people were upset that Gelinas was getting scratched instead of Merill. Gelinas is pretty bad defensively. There is an element he brings offensively that is special, but for a while there, the offense was gone and the defense was atrocious. I expect to see some very good and some terrible moving forward.

The issue is right now that after Greene and Fayne, there are 4 defenseman that all have their faults. I really don't want to lump Volchenkov in that category because he has been pretty good lately, but when you pair him with Salvador, it can be messy, Anyway, any combination of Volch, Salvador, Zidlicky, and Gelinas and there will be issues. Be it bad pinches, bad turnovers, bad breakouts, being too slow, etc. 

So, while I don't think we will see as many breakdowns as the Rangers game, I don't expect it to be as smooth as it has been in the past. Not new issues, but I don't love this group of 6 right now, especially in front of Marty.

Fortunately, the bolded shouldn't be too much of an issue going forward.  Yeah, there will be rough spots (especially with Gelinas learning on the job), but Schneider will hopefully be able to bail them out on some of the more brutal mistakes.   

The countdown to 92 points is now 37 needed over the final 29 games. 

8:00 pm tommorrow cant come fast enough, hopefully the blues are still not sharp. but they'll be looking for pay back.

I'm less worried about the Blues tonight than I was a week ago. They barely squeaked by a lackluster Rangers team on Thursday and then squeezed by another Islanders team that gave up with a half period left to play (like they do often). Our play lately has been good enough to get a win tonight, so I'm expecting the Devils to be the hungrier team after what was the most embarrassing loss of the season.

No more outdoor games for the rest of the year, that's what.

We should've known our 34+ year old contingent would start to sh!t the bed and ruin the game as the game (and the elements) wore on. It got windier, started snowing, our old men lost focus.

I had not seen this previously, but don't want to start a new topic if it's already been mentioned.

Ottawa Sun saying the reason the nyr's are the road team for both Stadium Series games.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/01/27/why-the-rangers-were-the-visitors-at-yankee-stadium

Woulda been funny if they forgot about it, then had to start paying taxes....

I had not seen this previously, but don't want to start a new topic if it's already been mentioned.

Ottawa Sun saying the reason the nyr's are the road team for both Stadium Series games.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/01/27/why-the-rangers-were-the-visitors-at-yankee-stadium

I read somewhere a few years ago that the tax exemption was put in place to keep the Knicks and Rangers in NYC, and from moving to the Meadowlands Arena.  Not a bad deal from MSG's point of view...own an arena in midtown Manhattan, on prime real estate, that you pay no taxes on. 

Yesterday, the new Mayor of NYC, Bill DeBlasio, came out and stated that he is pushing to have it repealed. 

I read somewhere a few years ago that the tax exemption was put in place to keep the Knicks and Rangers in NYC, and from moving to the Meadowlands Arena.  Not a bad deal from MSG's point of view...own an arena in midtown Manhattan, on prime real estate, that you pay no taxes on. 

Yesterday, the new Mayor of NYC, Bill DeBlasio, came out and stated that he is pushing to have it repealed. 

Hasn't just about every mayor since 1980 when the tax exemption put in place threaten to do that at one point to just get more money out of MSG?

the NHL also probably preferred that the isles and devils were the home teams since the league pays the home team the equivalent of a sellout. Prices for rags games being much highr than isles/devs= more money the nhl has to shell out for the game.

Hasn't just about every mayor since 1980 when the tax exemption put in place threaten to do that at one point to just get more money out of MSG?

Probably, although I don't really remember Giuliani and Bloomberg taking issue with it.  I know that it was a topic during the most recently campaign season in NYC, and is a point of contention that will come into play within the next decade when MSG has to get another special operating permit.