Kenny Agostino

MadDog2020

And the point you seem to miss is that when those residents for 4 months spend more money then the full time residents that theory is wrong. This is something you obviously do not believe happens. You're assuming the people there have the income and means to spend money all year. I already told you i had neighbors that would spend 20K even 10K. Without tourist money the Shore is in trouble. This is fact. It's fact every year when the vendors and owners get on News 12 and start preaching "We need tourism, we need nice weather for tourism....we need tourist money or we'll die".

I have no idea why this is something you can't comprehend other then being stubborn or an inability to admit that "Bennies" pump capital into the Shore that permanent residents can't over a years time.

Again....get this through your head. Without tourist money, the shore dies. 

As i said, you completely ignored this and came back with finger pointing and insults. 

What is it that makes you think permanent residents are so impoverished they can't out-spend a tourists 40 days worth of economic activity? Other towns that are just off the beaches do perfectly fine. What you are saying is flat wrong. Not to mention the services that tourists consume are quite limited. Restaurants, entertainment facilities. They're generally not seeing doctors, employing lawyers, using automobile mechanics, getting tutors their kids, things like that. You just seem to have this superiority complex, that you and your well-to-do friends have all of this money that you're so generally gracing us with. Places like Toms River, Manahawkin, Barnegat, the list goes on, seem to survive without the generous presence of the part-time resident. The reason we now need tourism, is because without tourists, there is NOBODY spending money in beach communities. And that is because the real estate market is geared almost exclusively to tourists. Do you know anything about planning or community development?

What is it that makes you think permanent residents are so impoverished they can't out-spend a tourists 40 days worth of economic activity? Other towns that are just off the beaches do perfectly fine. What you are saying is flat wrong. Not to mention the services that tourists consume are quite limited. Restaurants, entertainment facilities. They're generally not seeing doctors, employing lawyers, using automobile mechanics, getting tutors their kids, things like that. You just seem to have this superiority complex, that you and your well-to-do friends have all of this money that you're so generally gracing us with. Places like Toms River, Manahawkin, Barnegat, the list goes on, seem to survive without the generous presence of the part-time resident. The reason we now need tourism, is because without tourists, there is NOBODY spending money in beach communities. And that is because the real estate market is geared almost exclusively to tourists. Do you know anything about planning or community development?

You're still doing it. It's like you can't make one post without stereotyping me and that is going to be the end of it. You have no interest in anything other then pointing fingers. 

You're still doing it. It's like you can't make one post without stereotyping me and that is going to be the end of it. You have no interest in anything other then pointing fingers. 

Another flawless rebuttal. You took all the points I made and turned them on their head.

But, DO you know anything about community development? How towns and cities work? I'm not trying to be a condescending dick, I'm genuinely curious about what you know about the field.

Another flawless rebuttal. You took all the points I made and turned them on their head.

But, DO you know anything about community development? How towns and cities work? I'm not trying to be a condescending dick, I'm genuinely curious about what you know about the field.

Stop it. Stop doing what you do best. 

I've forgotten more then you know, kid. I'll leave it at that. 

So go on get the last word. I'm sure you'll pat yourself on the back and sleep better tonight thinking you got "the upper hand". 

Edited by TheRedStorm

(S)He doesn't argue points, (s)he attacks. Stop feeding him/her by replying and just ignore him/her like the majority of the rest of us have already done.

I'm telling you, it's not worth your time.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Edited by Devilsfan118

He doesn't argue points, he attacks. Stop feeding him by replying and just ignore him like the majority of the rest of us have already done.

I'm telling you, it's not worth your time.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

You're like an annoying little brother. 

I've forgotten more then you know, kid. I'll leave it at that.

OK, that's fair. Then, I'm sure you're more than familiar with Lewis Mumford's work, Ebeneezer Howard, Jane Jacobs, T.J Kent's Urban General Plan, Hilton's Ten Rules for a Quality Community. You've read Muir and Aldo Leopold. You spend most of your time dedicated to the field of community development, urban studies, and planning, and have a passion for it. I'm sure you've also done countless hours of IRB approved research on gentrification, neighborhood change, and communities on the Jersey Shore.

What a coincidence! Me too.

OK, that's fair. Then, I'm sure you're more than familiar with Lewis Mumford's work, Ebeneezer Howard, Jane Jacobs, T.J Kent's Urban General Plan, Hilton's Ten Rules for a Quality Community. You've read Muir and Aldo Leopold. You spend most of your time dedicated to the field of community development, urban studies, and planning, and have a passion for it. I'm sure you've also done countless hours of IRB approved research on gentrification, neighborhood change, and communities on the Jersey Shore.

What a coincidence! Me too.

Now, you're just amusing me like some of the other kids on this board do. You love to try hard, almost too hard, i'll give you that much. Nothing wrong with an overachiever.

Edited by TheRedStorm

Now, you're just amusing me like some of the other kids on this board do. You love to try hard, almost too hard, i'll give you that much. Nothing wrong with an overachiever.

Yup. Amusing you with why I'm at least a slightly credible opinion on this topic.

Christ, sorry for even bringing up the Shore. 

All that's missing is the "I was doing this since before you were even a twinkle in the eye of two drunks at a Bon Jovi concert" line. Classic

I think that may have been directed to me as well.

Yup. Amusing you with why I'm at least a slightly credible opinion on this topic.

I think that may have been directed to me as well.

Yup, i'm sure you are. I'm sure you are.....

It was. It was a great line.

Wow I didn't read the article but for him to come out and say that he went to Devils games just to root against us because he couldn't afford his precious Rags tickets is beyond infuriating.

I hope someone tonight hits this little sh!t-stain into oblivion.

Are you really surprised a Rags fan goes to a Devs game and rootw against NJ?? When I was working in NY i used to get alot of free Rags tix, I rooted against them everytime!!

Fucc the Bennys, kill yourself

Whats wrong RedStorm-kun?

Could it be

you're craving my

McNuggies?

Are you a Tea Party sympathizer? 

This forum was better yesterday at 8:57 PM than it is now.

Also, thecoffeecake clearly won that discussion and it's not even close.  TheRedStorm, you are never going to be taken seriously until you learn how to debate and not just argue.

• Like 2

Also, thecoffeecake clearly won that discussion and it's not even close.  TheRedStorm, you are never going to be taken seriously until you learn how to debate and not just argue.

Honestly take out TRS's extra stuff and just focus on his point and thecoffeecake's points and honestly I think TRS won that debate. 

But again that is just my opinion.

Honestly take out TRS's extra stuff and just focus on his point and thecoffeecake's points and honestly I think TRS won that debate. 

But again that is just my opinion.

I should have known better then to reply to begin with and, with this forum, just stay on topic. I knew once i posted getting away from hockey into something social or political someone would show up and escalate it. It seems that the under-25 members are the ones who love to escalate, poke and instigate. And being this team is finished i am sure it'll get worse before it gets better until the natives calm down.

Edited by TheRedStorm

LOL. Well, if you consider finger pointing, putting words in other people's mouths, personal insults and stereotyping traits of a good debate, then you've got more to learn then me.

Look, this isn't High School debate club. Don't start nonsense with keeping score. Posting that only starts more trouble and fuels more flames. but being you've been passive aggressively trolling me in a few threads lately i'm not too surprised. 

Edited by TheRedStorm

It seems that the under-25 members are the ones who love to escalate things, poke and instigate. And being this team is finished i am sure it'll get worse before it gets better until the natives calm down.

Eh it's everyone being on-edge with the way the Devils are.  Not much to talk about in terms of what's happening on the ice so this is the result.  This will be a looooooooooong summer and honestly that is the part that hurts the most with not making the playoffs.  Even if we were swept in the first round we probably would have gotten almost an extra 10 calendar days more of the season.  To me that is 10 days less of enjoying my favorite hobby which is following the Devils.

I don't know how to describe it but when my family used to go down the shore every summer we experienced from locals a lot of "go home, we don;t need you!" from them, but they had no probably taking our money and forcing us to pay just to set foot on their beaches which is free in the other 99.9999999% of the world's beaches.  I am not trying to make myself as some angel here but believe me we were far away from the stereotypical hard-partying, fist-pumping, drunk all the time crowd and we still got that attitude from a lot of shore residents.  I guess it is what it is.

As for Kenny, there were this older couple sitting next to me last night cheering specifically for him.  Maybe they were his parents and should have given them a little bit of a piece of my mind but I didn't want to assume wrong lol.

Eh it's everyone being on-edge with the way the Devils are.  Not much to talk about in terms of what's happening on the ice so this is the result.  This will be a looooooooooong summer and honestly that is the part that hurts the most with not making the playoffs.  Even if we were swept in the first round we probably would have gotten almost an extra 10 calendar days more of the season.  To me that is 10 days less of enjoying my favorite hobby which is following the Devils.

I don't know how to describe it but when my family used to go down the shore every summer we experienced from locals a lot of "go home, we don;t need you!" from them, but they had no probably taking our money and forcing us to pay just to set foot on their beaches which is free in the other 99.9999999% of the world's beaches.  I am not trying to make myself as some angel here but believe me we were far away from the stereotypical hard-partying, fist-pumping, drunk all the time crowd and we still got that attitude from a lot of shore residents.  I guess it is what it is.

I feel like you are also missing my point. We don't dislike the tourist crowd because a lot of them are loud-mouthed New Yorkers who come down to go to the clubs and start trouble. It's not like we see someone from out of town and think "Oh, great, they just came down to fist pump, and do whatever obnoxious thing they do". I mean, we hate that, but unfortunately, there are also a fair number of young Shore residents who do the same thing. The issue is that Shore towns have not only become a destination for the weekend tourist, but high rates of properties have come into vacation only use. The problem with that is instead of having the permanent resident who is going to be spending money all year round, 85%-90% of residents in some beach adjacent towns are here only for weekends in between Memorial Day and Labor Day. I again am not saying tourism shouldn't happen, and in some capacity, we'd obviously benefit from tourism. However, what's going on now is not economically, socially, culturally, or ecologically beneficial for the region. I just don't understand how so many of you feel as though the local population is wrong for feeling the way they do about the place they live. We KNOW, because we live here. Everyone also has to realize that with the seasonal resident comes the seasonal business owner. While a lot of Shore commerce is owned locally, and very good percentage is owned by people from New York and North Jersey. They come down during the summer, and pack up and go home in September with everyone else. And again, you have, but to a much less obnoxious extent, that attitude that we should be thankful for you coming down and spending your money here. That is something also not appreciated by the residents here.

We have to pay for the beach, too, by the way. That's unfortunately not a tax levied only on tourists. I just avoid the beach during badge checking hours.

Come down. Enjoy the Shore. But stay in a God damn hotel.

I feel like you are also missing my point. We don't dislike the tourist crowd because a lot of them are loud-mouthed New Yorkers who come down to go to the clubs and start trouble. It's not like we see someone from out of town and think "Oh, great, they just came down to fist pump, and do whatever obnoxious thing they do". I mean, we hate that, but unfortunately, there are also a fair number of young Shore residents who do the same thing. The issue is that Shore towns have not only become a destination for the weekend tourist, but high rates of properties have come into vacation only use. The problem with that is instead of having the permanent resident who is going to be spending money all year round, 85%-90% of residents in some beach adjacent towns are here only for weekends in between Memorial Day and Labor Day. I again am not saying tourism shouldn't happen, and in some capacity, we'd obviously benefit from tourism. However, what's going on now is not economically, socially, culturally, or ecologically beneficial for the region. I just don't understand how so many of you feel as though the local population is wrong for feeling the way they do about the place they live. We KNOW, because we live here. Everyone also has to realize that with the seasonal resident comes the seasonal business owner. While a lot of Shore commerce is owned locally, and very good percentage is owned by people from New York and North Jersey. They come down during the summer, and pack up and go home in September with everyone else. And again, you have, but to a much less obnoxious extent, that attitude that we should be thankful for you coming down and spending your money here. That is something also not appreciated by the residents here.

We have to pay for the beach, too, by the way. That's unfortunately not a tax levied only on tourists. I just avoid the beach during badge checking hours.

Come down. Enjoy the Shore. But stay in a God damn hotel.

The thing is that you are making it like the vacationers are just there for 3-4 months out of the year and when the summer is up, they just leave the town in a lurch.  Those properties are vacant, but they are still paying property taxes on them.  So basically these people are paying 12 months worth of property taxes on 3-4 months of use.  Not only that, but since they are like businesses opening up in other towns where they pay taxes but do not put as much pressure on the infrastructure like homes do (in other words, they don't have kids to send to school which for most towns make up about 2/3 of the property tax bill), then these shore towns are actually coming out ahead.  Hell most towns would kill for that kind of situation where they get a years worth of revenue but only use 3-4 months of infrastructure use.

Not only that, but how are people supposed to use the local businesses year round when most of them are seasonal?  A lot of shore towns such as Wildwood are a ghost town in the off-season.

The thing is that you are making it like the vacationers are just there for 3-4 months out of the year and when the summer is up, they just leave the town in a lurch.  Those properties are vacant, but they are still paying property taxes on them.  So basically these people are paying 12 months worth of property taxes on 3-4 months of use.  Not only that, but since they are like businesses opening up in other towns where they pay taxes but do not put as much pressure on the infrastructure like homes do (in other words, they don't have kids to send to school which for most towns make up about 2/3 of the property tax bill), then these shore towns are actually coming out ahead.  Hell most towns would kill for that kind of situation where they get a years worth of revenue but only use 3-4 months of infrastructure use.

Not only that, but how are people supposed to use the local businesses year round when most of them are seasonal?  A lot of shore towns such as Wildwood are a ghost town in the off-season.

These towns are seasonal because there are no permanent residents in the area. Put two and two together. The lessened use of infrastructure, although a good point, still doesn't make up for the loss in sales taxes and lost business. Kids aren't going to the schools, which means less burden on municipal budgets, but it also means parents aren't buying their kids school supplies in town. They're not hiring tutors or enrolling their kids in after school activities.