The Who's Better Thread

Daniel

Unitas was the best of all time. I encourage anyone to read Johnny U, a really great book. Just wish I got to see him play.

Modern day ill take Peyton. While Brady is more than a system QB, the difference is NE has a great system that Brady has been responsible for building while Peyton IS a system himself. Ill cite your colts before and after Peyton from the other thread

When one considers that Brady was two defensive stands away from winning 5 Super Bowls...pretty amazing stuff. 

I used to get caught up in the Brady/Manning debates, but I don't anymore.  As a Pat fan, I wouldn't have wanted anyone else other than Brady since he took over. 

I have to go Brady hands down. I love Peyton, but Brady has never had the tools that Manning did, especially at WR.

IF the Pat's had a better defense Brady could have had 5 Superbowl Championships.

It's a chicken and egg issue so far as weapons. Personally, I think Reggie Wayne gets thought of as a decent receiver if someone else is throwing to him. Harrison was better, but again, his success is more attributable to Manning.

You could also say that Brady was two defensive stands away from being Jim Kelly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It's a chicken and egg issue so far as weapons. Personally, I think Reggie Wayne gets thought of as a decent receiver if someone else is throwing to him. Harrison was better, but again, his success is more attributable to Manning. You could also say that Brady was two defensive stands away from being Jim Kelly. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BTW, not implying that Brady SHOULD have won five Super Bowls.  All five games he was in were all close until the end...it makes sense that some went his way and others didn't.  3-2 seems about right.  Just getting to five in the time frame that he has is an achievement unto itself, really. 

Games aren't won or lost by the QB alone, but Brady's teams have made the playoffs 10 times.  Only twice were they one-and-done.  Peyton has been to the playoffs 12 times.  Eight times his teams have been one-and-done.  Like I said, can't put all of that on the QB, but the playoff resume does hurt Manning a bit...he simply hasn't been as good as he's been in the regular season, and ironically didn't even play that well when his team DID finally win a Super Bowl (though he did go on a hell of a rampage against the Pats in the AFC Championship game)...the Colts' run defense stepped up out of nowhere in the playoffs that season.

One things I've found with the Manning/Brady debates, is that no matter how many numbers are thrown out, no one's minds are changed...Manning guys remain Manning guys, and same for Brady.  That's why I stopped getting caught up in it all.  In the time frame they played, they were clearly the 1 and 1A of their generation.  Both will be remembered with well-deserved reverence. 

It's a chicken and egg issue so far as weapons. Personally, I think Reggie Wayne gets thought of as a decent receiver if someone else is throwing to him. Harrison was better, but again, his success is more attributable to Manning. You could also say that Brady was two defensive stands away from being Jim Kelly. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Seriously? Did you not see Wayne's stats this year. 106 receptions for over 1300 yards (at the age of 34). Even last year, with the historically bad Painter at QB, he still put up respectable numbers. Reggie Wayne is a top receiver with any half-decent QB.

Edited by devilsrule33

Seriously? Did you not see Wayne's stats this year. 106 receptions for over 1300 yards (at the age of 34). Even last year, with the historically bad Painter at QB, he still put up respectable numbers. Reggie Wayne is a top receiver with any half-decent QB.

Andrew Luck is much more than a half-way decent QB even as a rookie. Wayne didn't do so great the year before,

Also, these days, defensive backs aren't allowed to play defense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It's a chicken and egg issue so far as weapons. Personally, I think Reggie Wayne gets thought of as a decent receiver if someone else is throwing to him. Harrison was better, but again, his success is more attributable to Manning. You could also say that Brady was two defensive stands away from being Jim Kelly.

Very valid points.