Brian Rolston appreciation thread

RunninWithTheDevil

Before the last 10-15 games, you considered Rolston's play over the last 2.5 years an "off-stretch?" I think you may be the nicest person ever or Brian Rolston's agent.

Um I don't recall specifying the length of an off stretch so your remark is moot. Every player has them. I said off stretch was relative and subjective. :rolleyes:

Um I don't recall specifying the length of an off stretch so your remark is moot. Every player has them. I said off stretch was relative and subjective. :rolleyes:

Go back and read your original post:

Lately is relative and subjective. I know that folks dislike Rolston and always have. I have always liked and appreciated him regardless of his off stretches. Same goes for the entire team. Well, maybe not some players. ;)

You said that the term 'lately' is relative and subjective; you didn't say anything about off-stretches.

In fact, I don't think the term off stretch is relative and subjective at all. It is the period of time between when a player stops playing well and then later starts playing well again. Of course the term 'playing well' is objective, but I think even you would agree that Rolston really hasn't played well for the Devils until the last 10-15 games. For that reason, Brian Rolston's off stretch is clearly defined; it started pretty much when he got here and has lasted until 10-15 games ago. Furthermore, it doesn't matter if you specifically defined the length of an off stretch because an off stretch is anything but relative and subjective. The only subjective aspect of an off-stretch is deciding whether or not the player has played well, and I can't imagine you think Rolston has played well until the last bunch of games. Or do you just think that Rolston has had 30 consecutive, month long off-stretches? That means it has just been one big, long off stretch.

It's fine to discuss things, but before you roll your eyes, don't just make up what you said when it's posted just above. rolleyes.gif

Typically you'd be right, but in an "appreciation" thread like this, it's pretty bad form to come in and piss all over the place. If you don't have anything nice to say in an appreciation thread, STFU.

So in "appreciation" threads, you're not allowed to debate the amount of "appreciation" the relevant person really deserves?

If anything, the TC is most at fault here for making ridiculous claims in defense of Rolston, such as "he's not 22, you know" and "it's not his fault he signed a big contract" and "32 points is not bad" (I'm paraphrasing but he essentially said all these things), which invited more people to pile on against Rolston, which apparently upset the TC.

You're making it sound like everyone came in and posted "rolston is the worst player ever, TC ur such a moron lolzzzz".

So in "appreciation" threads, you're not allowed to debate the amount of "appreciation" the relevant person really deserves?

thats not really the point of an appreciation thread. appreciation threads are usually for people to voice their own appreciation, not debate on how much he deserves, thats stupid.

thats not really the point of an appreciation thread. appreciation threads are usually for people to voice their own appreciation, not debate on how much he deserves, thats stupid.

That's funny because I thought that all threads on "discussion" forums were for "discussing" topics in. Bringing up the topic of appreciating a player should naturally open up the "discussion" about how much appreciation that player deserves. I don't understand why you would expect everyone to just agree with you one hundred percent and not even entertain the idea that maybe, just maybe, Rolston doesn't deserve that much appreciation yet based on 10-15 games of play.

Is there something hidden in the forum guidelines that says "In threads titled 'appreciation thread', posters may only agree 100% that they appreciate the topic of the thread and may not under any circumstances engage in relevant and interesting discussion about the topic at hand"? If so I must have missed it.

That's funny because I thought that all threads on "discussion" forums were for "discussing" topics in. Bringing up the topic of appreciating a player should naturally open up the "discussion" about how much appreciation that player deserves. I don't understand why you would expect everyone to just agree with you one hundred percent and not even entertain the idea that maybe, just maybe, Rolston doesn't deserve that much appreciation yet based on 10-15 games of play.

Is there something hidden in the forum guidelines that says "In threads titled 'appreciation thread', posters may only agree 100% that they appreciate the topic of the thread and may not under any circumstances engage in relevant and interesting discussion about the topic at hand"? If so I must have missed it.

at what point during the effigy burning did you engage in relevant and interesting discussion?

every person that had something good to say about Rolston, you had a comeback in some way, like why even post in the thread?

at what point during the effigy burning did you engage in relevant and interesting discussion?

every person that had something good to say about Rolston, you had a comeback in some way, like why even post in the thread?

I did? I think you should read the thread again, buddy. My first post was after you already started feeling sorry for yourself for posting a silly thread which countered the feelings of 95% of the other posters in this forum. I tried to explain to you why nobody agreed with you and you told me to fvck off, remember? Then you started claiming everyone was attacking you personally and that nobody was allowed to post in your thread if they didn't appreciate Rolston.

And actually I thought there was some fairly interesting discussion about Rolston's value going forward, possibly as trade bait but more likely as a waiver pick-up for somebody after this season. We also reviewed his stats back to 2008 and discussed how his production did not come close to matching any level of expectations, etc.

You clearly don't understand the point of an appreciation thread, and I'm thinking you didn't even read what I wrote. It's not that you're not allowed, you just come off looking like an ass... which you did.

You're making it sound like everyone came in and posted "rolston is the worst player ever, TC ur such a moron lolzzzz".

Not everyone, just you. Thank you for proving me correct.

You clearly don't understand the point of an appreciation thread, and I'm thinking you didn't even read what I wrote. It's not that you're not allowed, you just come off looking like an ass... which you did.

In prodigy's defense, I don't think he came off looking like an ass at all. Sure, it's an "appreciation" thread, which I guess means it has to be full of sunshine and love, but let's face it, a lot of people aren't fond of Rolston, and with good reason. And it has nothing to do with people looking at Rolston and saying, "Let's single him out because he's Brian Rolston, and we need someone to pick on." We all know the history...signs a big contract, for a variety of reasons produces very little and appears to care even less, then recently starts to put up some numbers. The recently is wonderful. What came before recently was very hard to take, and is not easy to ignore or forget. I don't think it's such a stretch to expect some members to question this whole appreciation thing, especially when Runnin then started trying to find whatever silver linings he could to somehow make the past sound better than it was, as though Rolston was a victim of unfair expectations.

Anyway:

I appreciate that Rolston is finally putting up some numbers.

I appreciate that he may actually be movable as a result.

• Like 1

I did? I think you should read the thread again, buddy. My first post was after you already started feeling sorry for yourself for posting a silly thread which countered the feelings of 95% of the other posters in this forum. I tried to explain to you why nobody agreed with you and you told me to fvck off, remember? Then you started claiming everyone was attacking you personally and that nobody was allowed to post in your thread if they didn't appreciate Rolston.

wrong. You were the only person I claimed to be attacking me, and at this point you kinda are. the fvck off was meant as a general one, but you wound up to be only person in this thread i really had a problem with so it fits. Silly thread? You're not just "discussing", you're belittling every single good thing anyone has said about Rolston, and now you just refuse to shut up. Are you the definitive chief of appreciation? You get to monitor and distribute the proper amounts of appreciation, and scold people who give him "more appreciation than he deserves"? You could've just looked at the thread and scoffed, but you actually took the effort to type post after post solely trying to make the point that "no one likes him why would you even make a thread he doesnt deserve it blah blah blah" Who knows what was going on in his head that first year? Yes, i defended his God-awful stats. i'm allowed to defend Rolston if I want, who the hell are you to say I can't?

Edited by RunninWithTheDevil

I think to post negatively in an appreciation thread makes it look like you don't want the player to succeed.

and to not want a Devils player to succeed is to not want the team to succeed.

and that's not cool.

Ask Manta how much love he's gotten for seeming like he wanted Kovaluchuk to fail.

C'mon, that's a flat-out ridiculous conclusion to draw, even for you.

No one said they didn't want Rolston to succeed, and I don't think anyone here came across that way. Of course we all want Rolston and the Devils to succeed...duh! It's win-win...he contributes and helps the Devils win games, and may even make himself attractive to other teams, though at his money and with his pre-surge track record I still think teams are going to be very hesitant about dealing for him. But who knows...maybe some GM is fooled by this.

Not sure how debating appreciating or criticizing Rolston = don't want him to succeed = don't want Devils to succeed.

Manta didn't want Kovalchuk to fail. He went a bit over the top with his criticisms at times, but most Devil fans want every last player wearing the red and black to succeed. I never took Manta's criticizing Kovy as wanting him to fail. I'm sure Manta would happily eat crow (as would I, as I didn't want Kovy back) if Kovy put up great season after great season, and the Devils were succeeding as a result of his contributions.

In prodigy's defense, I don't think he came off looking like an ass at all. Sure, it's an "appreciation" thread, which I guess means it has to be full of sunshine and love, but let's face it, a lot of people aren't fond of Rolston, and with good reason.

And what's wrong with simply not saying anything at all? I don't expect anyone to come in with "sunshine and love" that they don't mean simply to fit in, and there's no rule saying you have to respond to every single topic. If the community at large feels Rolston isn't worthy of our praise, their silence will speak much louder than someone dumping a load full of pettiness on the thread.

Go back and read your original post:

You said that the term 'lately' is relative and subjective; you didn't say anything about off-stretches.

In fact, I don't think the term off stretch is relative and subjective at all. It is the period of time between when a player stops playing well and then later starts playing well again. Of course the term 'playing well' is objective, but I think even you would agree that Rolston really hasn't played well for the Devils until the last 10-15 games. For that reason, Brian Rolston's off stretch is clearly defined; it started pretty much when he got here and has lasted until 10-15 games ago. Furthermore, it doesn't matter if you specifically defined the length of an off stretch because an off stretch is anything but relative and subjective. The only subjective aspect of an off-stretch is deciding whether or not the player has played well, and I can't imagine you think Rolston has played well until the last bunch of games. Or do you just think that Rolston has had 30 consecutive, month long off-stretches? That means it has just been one big, long off stretch.

It's fine to discuss things, but before you roll your eyes, don't just make up what you said when it's posted just above. rolleyes.gif

We must agree to disagree. I don't think he has played as poorly as folks have viewed him since returning to the Devs. :)

Edited by StarDew

And what's wrong with simply not saying anything at all? I don't expect anyone to come in with "sunshine and love" that they don't mean simply to fit in, and there's no rule saying you have to respond to every single topic. If the community at large feels Rolston isn't worthy of our praise, their silence will speak much louder than someone dumping a load full of pettiness on the thread.

I get what you're saying...by the letter of the law, it's an appreciation thread, just appreciate, if you can't, steer clear.

I did think it was a sentiment worth debating, just to see where Runnin and like thinkers were coming from. The player involved pretty much ensured there was going to be some kind of debate about this.

Forgive me for the long post, folks.

Well I guess we are in disagreement then. I personally find people who call other people names or say rude things to them like "fvck off" are the bad ones. You'll notice that I've not called anyone a single name nor said anything remotely caustic to any other posters. Perhaps the worst thing I've said is that the thread is a bit "silly". If that makes me an "ass" in your eyes, so be it.

Please, show me the quote you are referring to. I'd like to know when I said anything remotely close to "rolston is the worst player ever, TC ur such a moron lolzzzz". I'd also like to know how anything that I said about Rolston is at all worse than anything said in the page and half of posts that came before mine. You're singling me out to a ridiculous degree. Perhaps you need to read some of the other posts in the thread too?

wrong. You were the only person I claimed to be attacking me,

Yeah, let me stop you there. This is lie number one. Let me remind you what you said:

Then the thread just degenerated into stupid one-liners, people saying he "doesn't deserve any appreciation", and people putting words in my mouth, and now the final level of thread-death: personal attacks.

This was part of a longer post which was in reply to CR76, not me. I was not even mentioned in that post.

You're not just "discussing", you're belittling every single good thing anyone has said about Rolston

Wow, I belittled every single good thing ever said about Rolston? Yeah, that's not blowing things way out of proportion at all.

Are you the definitive chief of appreciation? You get to monitor and distribute the proper amounts of appreciation, and scold people who give him "more appreciation than he deserves"?

Uh, pardon? You and Rowdy are the ones telling people what they can and can't say in an appreciation thread, not me. I'm saying the thread should be open to discussion about the player. I have not once claimed that nobody was allowed to appreciate Rolston. I explained reasons why a lot of people are not ready to "appreciate" him yet. That was an explanation. I explained why, statisically, I personally am not ready to start appreciating him. I never said how much other people should appreciate him, you made that part up. Read my posts again if you need to. Also, please show me where I "scolded" you. I don't remember that part either.

You could've just looked at the thread and scoffed, but you actually took the effort to type post after post solely trying to make the point that "no one likes him why would you even make a thread he doesnt deserve it blah blah blah"

I don't mean to sound like a broken record here but again - I never said nobody likes him, and I never said "why would you even make a thread" or question your right to make a thread about him. I said the majority of the people here are disappointed in him. That is just common sense.

For a person who complained in this very thread that people were putting words in his mouth, this entire post is putting words in my mouth. Please, use quotes if you want to debate this with me further. This "he said she said" stuff is a bit too sophomoric.

Who knows what was going on in his head that first year? Yes, i defended his God-awful stats. i'm allowed to defend Rolston if I want, who the hell are you to say I can't?

Why would you defend stats that you admit are "God-awful"? That seems dishonest to me.

Because this is a board where people come to talk and share their opinions about Devils-related topics. I don't come here to read threads and then keep my opinion to myself. Just as there's no rule saying you have to respond to every thread, there's no rule that says you can't respond to certain threads with certain opinions.

As for the last sentence, I disagree. Silence can mean a lot of things. More often than not, it means nobody saw the thread. And if nobody posted then the thread would never get bumped, and probably nobody WOULD see the thread. By expressing their displeasure through posts, the board has shared their opinion on the player the way they know how.

It's time to get off the high horse and stop condescending to people for posting their opinion. You yourself have admitted that there are no rules about posting negatively in an appreciation thread, so why do you continue to shake your head at the people who have done it or call them "asses" for it? However you want to spin it, you're the one at fault here.

If you don't like the the way the thread is going then why don't you take your own advice and keep your opinion to yourself about it. After all, there's no rule that says you have to reply to every post, right?

This was part of a longer post which was in reply to CR76, not me. I was not even mentioned in that post.

forgive me, birds of a feather

Wow, I belittled every single good thing ever said about Rolston? Yeah, that's not blowing things way out of proportion at all.

taken out of context. what i said was:

"Silly thread? You're not just "discussing", you're belittling every single good thing anyone has said about Rolston, and now you just refuse to shut up".

"anyone" meaning "the people in this thread".

simply put, you came into an appreciation thread and pissed all over it, behind a guise of civil discussion.

You yourself have admitted that there are no rules about posting negatively in an appreciation thread, so why do you continue to shake your head at the people who have done it or call them "asses" for it?

just because you can doesnt mean you should.

goddamn this is stupid please delete this thread

Edited by RunninWithTheDevil

Nah, it isn't stupid. You're a fan trying to shine a light on a positive aspect of something that's been largely negative for a long time. That's a good thing and I tip my cap to you for it.

People need to learn how to share opinions without getting so defensive that we have to justify whether or not we have the right to share opinions. You're allowed to appreciate Rolston. Prodigy is allowed to disagree. An "appreciation" thread might not be the best place for it, but so long as the discussion can stay civil there's no problem with it.

We're all fans of the same team here.

why-cant-we-all-demotivational-poster-1247760355.jpg

forgive me, birds of a feather

People with reason?

taken out of context. what i said was:

"Silly thread? You're not just "discussing", you're belittling every single good thing anyone has said about Rolston, and now you just refuse to shut up".

"anyone" meaning "the people in this thread".

Fair enough.

simply put, you came into an appreciation thread and pissed all over it, behind a guise of civil discussion.

More unsubstantiated claims with no quotes attached to let me know what you're referring to. Still waiting on some quotes.

Ah I see, you realized that there are no quotes whatsoever to back up any of your claims, so now you're backing out. Cool.

As far as the whole "we're all friends here" vibe, I am not angry whatsoever and have had a completely calm tone throughout the conversation. And I'll reiterate that I have not made any personal attacks or called anyone any names. So I think I'm fine in that regard.