Brad Richards get 5/39 deal

sundstrom

tri-

what did you think elias was going to get (regardless from whom) before richards' deal? what do you think he's going to get now?

and you're dead on with gomez. his arbitration number will be bad enough to swallow for next year.

it's going to take a good GM to convince good players that it's about winning with a group and that in the devils case, elias at $7.9, gomez at $6, rafalski and gionta at $4, and marty at $5.2 won't win anything.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This contract is going to be a huge albatross for Tampa.

Richards puts up good numbers because he HAD a great support cast including the league MVP (St.Louis), an alleged next big superstar (Lecaviliar), a sniper (Modin) and a great PP quarterback (Prospal). I don't think Tampa can afford them all, especially with other needs of their team not being addressed.

This is going too look much like the Yashin contract in Long Island where they can't support him with good players.

At least Washington is paying 1/2 Jagr's contract.

tri-

what did you think elias was going to get (regardless from whom) before richards' deal? what do you think he's going to get now?

and you're dead on with gomez. his arbitration number will be bad enough to swallow for next year.

it's going to take a good GM to convince good players that it's about winning with a group and that in the devils case, elias at $7.9, gomez at $6, rafalski and gionta at $4, and marty at $5.2 won't win anything.

I thought he was going to re-sign for 24.5 over 4 - now I see it as 26 over 4 or 32 over 5. I think some teams will offer him more money but not much more.

It's not about winning with a group, it's about having low-priced players who play very well. Look at the 4 teams remaining and you'll notice something - Hemsky, Lupul, Staal, and various Sabres are all way below market price because they're young. These teams couldn't possibly be assembled as is if not for these players. It's becoming clear that some teams will build smartly through the market and others won't - Tampa will be one that won't. I just don't see some team offering Elias the moon when they just don't have the room to do anything else when they do that.

Clubs also have to be predicting that revenues and thus the salary cap will continue to rise.

because of this deal, i think gomez will get a 1 year deal this summer and walk next year. i think next year's offseason will be huge for the devils. lou has to be hoping and praying that zajac, tallackson, bergfors, or whoever else they have down there will be ready to move up, because the team could be depleted of top two line talent very soon.

out of the devils current top six forwards, i think only gionta, and possibly elias, stick around past next summer.

because of this deal, i think gomez will get a 1 year deal this summer and walk next year. i think next year's offseason will be huge for the devils. lou has to be hoping and praying that zajac, tallackson, bergfors, or whoever else they have down there will be ready to move up, because the team could be depleted of top two line talent very soon.

out of the devils current top six forwards, i think only gionta, and possibly elias, stick around past next summer.

If the Devils are to continue to be a good team, there is no question that the Devils need the young players to step in and contribute.

It's not about winning with a group, it's about having low-priced players who play very well. Look at the 4 teams remaining and you'll notice something - Hemsky, Lupul, Staal, and various Sabres are all way below market price because they're young. These teams couldn't possibly be assembled as is if not for these players.

i agree completely. the devils have to get lucky and pull out a top six forward from their group of prospects. the teams remaining in the playoffs have young, elite forwards that that have an impact far beyond what their salaries would suggest.

Well you're forgetting about Parise, but yeah, Gomez could walk next summer. I still wouldn't sign either Gomez or Gionta to a long-term deal based on this season because I'm not convinced they can sustain that kind of production. Still, there's only a limited amount of money available to sign players - will other teams really have this kind of cash laying around? Even if the salary cap doesn't stagnate, teams have to sign their RFAs, and teams with big-time UFAs are still more likely to retain them simply because their club is already budgeted for the guy as an arbitration-eligible RFA.

I think we've had these pessimistic walk scenarios around for years, back when Brodeur and Stevens were sure to walk. Lou somehow found a way then.

Elias talks about how having the chance to win is important. As far as I'm concerned, those words mean little if he demands a max contract.

By the way, does Brad Richards even need an agent? And that Jay Feaster, he's some negotiator! :rolleyes:

Brad Richards' agent: "We want a five-year contract at the max salary."

Feaster: "Done deal. Let's have lunch, on me."

I still wouldn't sign either Gomez or Gionta to a long-term deal based on this season because I'm not convinced they can sustain that kind of production.

I think we've had these pessimistic walk scenarios around for years, back when Brodeur and Stevens were sure to walk. Lou somehow found a way then.

gomez has earned a multi year deal (4/20) right now. he's produced for a number of years. and in comparison to richards, he could even get 6/year.

both stevens and brodeur really never entertained thoughts of leaving (the last 4 years of stevens i mean). stevens was an out of cap deal. marty took less to stay and elias has said he won't. really can't compare.

i'm now considering elias gone. i'm trying to convince myself that 3 players like markov, kubina, and perhaps trading for one year of havlat is better than elias (which it's not).

How many teams are going to completely screw themselves over like this? In the past, a deal like this was certainly bad news, but the cap forces GMs to have at least some common sense. This scenario will likely not be repeated.

I wish I could agree with you, but there are bound to be a few other Feaster's out there.

This doesnt make things harder for Lou.

Before the Richards signing I saw Lou offering Patty something in the very high 7's to low 8's.

If you really thought Lou was going to sign Patty for 5.7 - 6.5 million your out of your mind. That would never happen...the only way Lou could pull that off was if he could tell Patty that the Devils will 100% guaranteed win 4 cups over the next 5 years.

Feaster just shot himslef in the foot...he has THREE players locked up in 21 million of cap room...a little less half of what's predicted for next seasons cap.

This signing does not affect Elias and his asking price, it's not like you would think Patty was in the low 6's but now it brings him into the 8's. He was already in the 8's...but as someone else said, it does affect Gomers asking price. Most likey Gomer (still a year away from being a UFA) is starting to lick his chops now. As I've said before, if we sign Patty, Gomer is most likely gone...just like if we signed Nieder last season, Lou probably wouldnt have the money for Patty this year.

This is awful. This is incredibly awful. I mean, if you can't sign super-stars what can you do... I mean, you'd have to build a whole team like say, a Buffalo, or a Carolina, or an Oilers....

If teams want to build one line and overpay these star players, by all means. Good job addressing your primary need Tampa. Maybe you can ask Brad to wear the pads?

Three things to think about here...

1. Lou just lost all his remaing hair

2. Brad Richards just made a bid to buy Prince Edward Island on eBay

3. Patrik Elias no longer needs an agent because Brad Richards/Jay Feaster just resolved that issue for him

What a summer!!!!

Guest troycrowder25

This is a killer. I think Elias will get almost the same type of deal as Richards, unfortunately not from the Devils.

This reminds me alot of last offseason with Niedermayer and Rafalski. Lou can't sign Nieds settles for Rafalski. This time its Elias or Langenbrunner, Lou can't afford Elias and will keep Langenbrunner. We are constantly settling for the second tier player and instead of being a contender I think we'll be lucky to make the playoffs next year.

It's time like this that makes me appreciate Stevens and Brodeur, even more than I already do. Two superstars taking less than market value just to stay with Devils. Very rare.

Oh boy, the not making the playoffs talk next season is already starting to come out. :lol: Can't people wait until at least halfway into next season before making that wrong prediction, like this season?

I love Patty but if he is asking more than $6 million a season I would let him walk, no single NHL player in a salary cap era is worth it.

It would depend on how your team was set up. If you had a lot of good young players then you could afford to overpay for a veteran as long as you made his contract expiring be at the same time as your good young players contracts coming due as well. So for that situation a player could be worth over 6 million dollars to that team.

Edited by Devils731

See, when I head Feaster give a talk at my alma mater, he seemed very intelligent and like he was a shrewd businessman.

Scratch that, now.

Maybe he has a trade worked out for Richards already and plans to land this anchor of a contract on another team....ok, probably not.

maybe more guys will be like Marty and settle for less to stay somewhere they REALLy love...lmao in a perfect world...NOT A CHANCE!! :P

I think this shows the salary cap cycle we will see.... if the Devs can get back to their old system, they are fine.

The salary cap era will have teams rotating from celler dwellers to pretenders, to bottom 4, to top 4, to bottom 4, to pretenders to celler dwellers... repeat.

The only way to compete is to have a strong young players coming from your farm. The best way to ensure that is to get high draft picks... Once your draft picks start performing (For cheap) you can sign top-end talent and win a cup (but get crappy draft picks relatively). As the team gets older and more experienced (Nieds, Gomez, Gio, Elias, etc), they will gradually leave for a team with the younger players with the cap space to sign a top end talent. NJ will fall into the cellar, collect the draft picks, and repeat.

If NJ can return to getting steals in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and later rounds, NJ can break the cycle and stay how they have been for the past 10 years -- a steady force. As players leave, we replace them from the farm and then we get the late season acuisition to compliment the team. But if we arent get draft steals, we can't sustain as an elite team forever, we have to visit the cellar and bounce back.

richards is really good...but he doesn't deserve this much...neither did lecavlieroverrated. i guess feaster likes huge overpaid contracts...

i thought the market for guys like richards or elias would be around 6 mil to 6.5 especially with thornton and iggy signing for 6.66 and 7 million...guess that doesnt matter anymore.

i can offer a thought of optimism though...although it might not be exactly the same, becuase it deals with goalies

khabibulin signed for a boatload and i thought that might break the market, but brodeur ended up signing for 5.2, granted brodeur signed under, but i think turco, puffy, and theodore all signed for around 5 million

Edited by bruins4777