New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

Parise is at the level of Crosby, Ovie, Kovie, etc, and would be named at that level had he not played for the Devils, so once the contract comes up next year, he will have to be given that level of money to keep him here, i'm sure teams will elevate his number right off the bat.

I couln't disagree more. And this a very common comment by many fans and hockey people. I don't think Parise is underrated by anyone. Everyone knows how good Zach Parise is, and pretty much every hockey person I have ever heard...usually says the same thing about "ïf he didn't play for the Devils..." Everyone gushes about Zach Parise from Pierre and the entire TSN crew, CBC, NBC, and every broadcast if you get the Centre Ice package.

Zach Parise will officially be put in that league of players when he becomes as good as them, that is to say he leads the league in scoring, wins the Hart Trophy, wins a Stanley Cup, wins a gold medal, etc. Until then, he is an outstanding player but a league below.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Parise is a phenomenal talent, an amazing team guy, and an all-around player that any team in the league would love to have. However, pure talent-wise, he is not in the same league as Ovechkin and Crosby. These guys are generational players who are literally in a class of their own. These guys can score 110-120+ points and can single-handedly carry their entire team on their back. As great as Parise is, he is simply not at that level, so lets not compare him to these players.

Now back to the Kovy topic :uni: it has been 3 days since his contracted got booted & we all kept on hearing a Lou back up plan. I am guessing there was no backup plan since no new contract has been released or signed.

I for one hopes this gets resolved sometime today or tomorrow, cause I feel the longer this takes the Kovy may look at other teams or even Russia (which is still way down on his list).

Come on Lou slip some more :koolaid:

I couln't disagree more. And this a very common comment by many fans and hockey people. I don't think Parise is underrated by anyone. Everyone knows how good Zach Parise is, and pretty much every hockey person I have ever heard...usually says the same thing about "ïf he didn't play for the Devils..." Everyone gushes about Zach Parise from Pierre and the entire TSN crew, CBC, NBC, and every broadcast if you get the Centre Ice package.

Zach Parise will officially be put in that league of players when he becomes as good as them, that is to say he leads the league in scoring, wins the Hart Trophy, wins a Stanley Cup, wins a gold medal, etc. Until then, he is an outstanding player but a league below.

that's why he's not getting paid like them in my proposed deal. crosby would command a max contract as a UFA, if he wanted it. likewise with ovechkin.

that's why he's not getting paid like them in my proposed deal. crosby would command a max contract as a UFA, if he wanted it. likewise with ovechkin.

Well it becomes almost impossible to compare any salaries these days because pretty much every superstar is signing long-term contracts with their teams well before their UFA years. With that being said, I don't think Ovechkin is going to make much more than a cap hit of $9.5 million a year because there are too many good players on their team they need to lock up long-term, and I doubt Crosby and Malkin would make more than the $8.7 million because you can't afford two guys making $10 million each or what have you and be able to fill out the rest of your roster competitively.

Now back to the Kovy topic :uni: it has been 3 days since his contracted got booted & we all kept on hearing a Lou back up plan. I am guessing there was no backup plan since no new contract has been released or signed.

I for one hopes this gets resolved sometime today or tomorrow, cause I feel the longer this takes the Kovy may look at other teams or even Russia (which is still way down on his list).

It wouldn't surprise me if Lou is just waiting for the dust to settle. No sense giving Kovalchuk a deal that looks like Luongo's when there's still a chance Luongo's gets rejected.

Lou and VBK had their plan B.

Kovalchuk and Grossman had their plan B.

It's not the same plan B.

I'm not convinced they all had a plan B figured out together and in place in case they lost, nor was that ever planned. If that was so, they should they have submitted a new contract right away or by the end of this week (yet to come, one more day).

Some fans expected that becuase they feel this player and agent is committed to the Devils because of a sham of a press conference for a contract that was no good and thinking he isn't about the money because he "this is team"'ed you all into thinking otherwise. He still got the $ he wanted in the old contract, he did no one a favor.

Right now, everyone in this can go fvck themselves.

Well it becomes almost impossible to compare any salaries these days because pretty much every superstar is signing long-term contracts with their teams well before their UFA years. With that being said, I don't think Ovechkin is going to make much more than a cap hit of $9.5 million a year because there are too many good players on their team they need to lock up long-term, and I doubt Crosby and Malkin would make more than the $8.7 million because you can't afford two guys making $10 million each or what have you and be able to fill out the rest of your roster competitively.

the salary cap goes up every year. assuming the economy recovers and the CBA keeps the system nearly the same, we could be looking at a $70 million dollar salary cap by the time crosby and malkin are UFA. by that point it would be very possible to have 2 $10 million guys and fill out the rest of one's roster competitively.

I'm not convinced they all had a plan B figured out together and in place in case they lost, nor was that ever planned. If that was so, they should they have submitted a new contract right away or by the end of this week (yet to come, one more day).

Some fans expected that becuase they feel this player and agent is committed to the Devils because of a sham of a press conference for a contract that was no good and thinking he isn't about the money because he "this is team"'ed you all into thinking otherwise. He still got the $ he wanted in the old contract, he did no one a favor.

Bitter much?

i'm sure this would have nothing to do with the league providing absolutely no guidelines for what constitutes an acceptable contract.

I say pass Kovy up. He needs to learn to be a team player. He was the hot shot in Atlanta and now hes coming to a team where there are many hot shots. Sure he didnt have enough time to have chemistry with anyone but at the same time, he may be to big for his britches so to speak. I think they should let him slide and pick up a younger guy such as Tim Kennedy from Buffalo. That or just let it slide and bring up one of the newer guys from the farm.

I guess time will tell though. Knowing Lou, hes going to want to keep him around. He tends to trust the older guys. Then again, he is the one that is in the position to make these calls so he must know what hes talking about.

i'm sure this would have nothing to do with the league providing absolutely no guidelines for what constitutes an acceptable contract.

If you're trying to construct an argument over the league's power trip of going after Hossa, Luongo, et al. as the reason for the "delay" with Kovalchuk then that's your opinion, as i have mine on the matter. It's a scare tactic by the NHL. They won, gained the advantage on the NHLPA until 2012, now they're just on a witch hunt with this whole thing. If you think they are going to void those deals or remove the Cup from Chicago then you are really buying into it deep.

If you're trying to construct an argument over the league's power trip of going after Hossa, Luongo, et al. as the reason for the "delay" with Kovalchuk then that's your opinion, as i have mine on the matter. It's a scare tactic by the NHL. They won, gained the advantage on the NHLPA until 2012, now they're just on a witch hunt with this whole thing. If you think they are going to void those deals or remove the Cup from Chicago then you are really buying into it deep.

no, i don't think the league will void any contracts, and it's of course not going to remove any Cups. regardless, it's a shot across the bow of new jersey. the next one, if the NHL challenges it via this process and wins again, the NHL will likely seek penalties, and if they get them, that ends the hope of kovalchuk as a devil. the devils and kovalchuk have to be absolutely sure that this next contract is accepted, as well as work out how the money is distributed.

The league didn't necessarily provide guidelines, but the arbitrator did. From Lou as per TG on 8/9: “While we do not currently have a contract with Ilya Kovalchuk, discussions have resumed and we are hopeful that a contract will be reached that meets with the principles in Arbitrator Bloch’s award and the NHL’s approval.”

Where else is Kovy going to go? If it was entirely about the money he'd liquidate Russia and go there. If it's about joining the Devils he could still sign, we don't know what he will or won't accept yet. But the market for him went significantly downward since he signed his first contract, and it wasn't all that high then either. LA can't offer him the 15-80 in this climate even if they wanted to, especially since they spent cap space on Ponikarovsky and is hell-bent on not tying up long-term cap space. Who else in the NHL is even offering him money?

Basically the Devils are bidding against themselves right now unless he takes a one-year offer from someone and gets back on this merry-go-round next year.

Edited by NJDevs26

no, i don't think the league will void any contracts, and it's of course not going to remove any Cups. regardless, it's a shot across the bow of new jersey. the next one, if the NHL challenges it via this process and wins again, the NHL will likely seek penalties, and if they get them, that ends the hope of kovalchuk as a devil. the devils and kovalchuk have to be absolutely sure that this next contract is accepted, as well as work out how the money is distributed.

I agree but I don't see why that should take this a whole week. If I was the Devils I would think you would just slightly lower the percentages of money up front from the Hossa deal and make this contract 14-15 year. If there is less up front money and the deal goes to 41 or 42 I do not see how the league reject the deal.

Imo if the devils and kovy agree to a 15-100 or whatever contract immediately following the rejection of the initial contract...it looks fishy.

Almost as if the devils were like, "Hey, this'll probably get rejected, but what the hell let's try anyway". Seems like a more fine-able attitude.

And as Tri said...they have to really nail this next contract. Second rejection = fines.

The league didn't necessarily provide guidelines, but the arbitrator did. From Lou as per TG on 8/9: “While we do not currently have a contract with Ilya Kovalchuk, discussions have resumed and we are hopeful that a contract will be reached that meets with the principles in Arbitrator Bloch’s award and the NHL’s approval.”

there's no principles that i see there in the award. bloch has not only said that the kovalchuk deal is not kosher, but that the other deals would likely have been thrown out by him as well.

I agree but I don't see why that should take this a whole week. If I was the Devils I would think you would just slightly lower the percentages of money up front from the Hossa deal and make this contract 14-15 year. If there is less up front money and the deal goes to 41 or 42 I do not see how the league reject the deal.

i do. bloch's award gives them the ability to do it - the NHL can reject whatever it damn well pleases at this point. kovalchuk is going to lose at least $10 million by this rejection, so i definitely see why this would take a long time.

Way back when, the rumor was that Kovy wanted a $100MM deal. If that is still the case, he may not accept less money up front. And Lou may not want to cut years off the back end without cutting $$ off the front end.

Of course, the other possibility is that they had Plan B and now they are quietly running it by the NHL to avoid a second rejection. Or maybe the NHL rejected Plan B and they have to figure out Plan C.

Plus, the arbitrator's lousy opinion basically said that the Hossa deal wasn't a precedent becuase it supposedly was under "investigation." We all know the "investigation" is a crock, but I wouldn't be surprised if the NHL is hanging their hat on that language and telling Lou that even a Hossa-type deal may not be acceptable.

I'm not optimistic that this will be resolved any time soon.

Where else is Kovy going to go? If it was entirely about the money he'd liquidate Russia and go there. If it's about joining the Devils he could still sign, we don't know what he will or won't accept yet. But the market for him went significantly downward since he signed his first contract, and it wasn't all that high then either. LA can't offer him the 15-80 in this climate even if they wanted to, especially since they spent cap space on Ponikarovsky and is hell-bent on not tying up long-term cap space. Who else in the NHL is even offering him money?

Basically the Devils are bidding against themselves right now unless he takes a one-year offer from someone and gets back on this merry-go-round next year.

My sentiments exactly.

The arbitrator's ruling really fvcked up a lot of things with the contracts. The NHL never came out and said that these are the guidelines to get a contract approved so now the Devs are stuck in limbo with the contract. They basically have to thread the needle on this one since the NHL feels empowered enough to investigate other contracts. The Devils could sign Kovy to a Hossa-like deal but the NHL looking at his contract causes a lot of hesitancy. Thanks a bunch Gary B, Asswipe!!