Your thought on today / about the team so far ?

SterioDesign

If Matteau can contribute that would be HUGE. The problem is, I liked his game best, from at least what we saw last year when he was on a line with Kovy. And I'm pretty sure Zajac centered that line, so you had two great forwards on a line with him to allow him to play his game to the fullest and not worry about mistakes. So what do we do this year? Put him on a top line with Trav and Elais? Or do you throw him on a third with Josefson, a good playmaker, albeit, but still a fairly inexperienced NHL center.

Kovy was a do it himself type of player, so I don't put much stock in last season   Elias is such a great teacher, and has the best hockey IQ in the world, he would immediately help Matteau be in the best position to succeed.   Elias helped Sykora get back into being a goal scorer a few years ago.   I would hope that Matteau gets to learn from playing with Patty how to play the game correctly.

Kovy was a do it himself type of player, so I don't put much stock in last season   Elias is such a great teacher, and has the best hockey IQ in the world, he would immediately help Matteau be in the best position to succeed.   Elias helped Sykora get back into being a goal scorer a few years ago.   I would hope that Matteau gets to learn from playing with Patty how to play the game correctly.

1) Kovalchuk's biggest fault while he was here was that he was too unselfish and didn't shoot the puck more often.

2) The Devils lost 10 in a row without Kovalchuk.

3) The great Patrik Elias had 1 goal and 1 assist when Kovalchuk was out of the lineup.

4) Matteau played as well as he could in his short stint as an 18-year old in the NHL. It wasn't going to be much different who he played with.

5) Stop trolling. We got enough Kovy BS for years. Of course the year he was 5th in scoring and leading the Devils to the Cup Finals, you were absent. 

Edited by devilsrule33
  • Like 2

1) Kovalchuk's biggest fault while he was here was that he was too unselfish and didn't shoot the puck more. 

3) The great Patrik Elias had 1 goal and 1 assist when Kovalchuk was out of the lineup.

4) Matteau played as well as he could in his short stint as an 18-year old in the NHL. It wasn't going to be much different who he played with.

5) Stop trolling. We got enough Kovy and BS for years. Of course the year he was 5th in scoring and leading the Devils to the Cup Finals, you were absent. 

Hear hear.

This team is horrible offensively and nobody really wants to admit it.  To win games you have to score goals and create quality scoring opportunities in excess.  The D is the same D we've had.  Goaltending is tbd.  Offensively... we suck!  After the first game Kovy missed in the streak I commented on how bad this team was without him and got lambasted.  The team went on to lose 10 in a row.  Lou has to make a huge trade to fix this mess on offense.  Ryder has been a pretty good scorer on other teams but how bad will the Devils' scoring curse hit him?  We need a difference maker and we have nothing close.  Lou is going to have pie all over his face when this team finishes in the lottery without a lottery pick.  Something must be done now.  Status quo will not get it done!  Some favorites are probably going to have to go to get it done.  But, if Lou is serious about being competitive this year he needs to make a big play!

I agree with  your assessment.

If we can add a top 6 winger this team will have a good amount of depth. I think Tedenby can make the team this year, the opportunity is there, he's done his time in the minors, the way I see it the only person holding him back is himself. If he can put on some weight this offseason I really don't see why he can't make the team. He has the skill and the passion. He just needs some fine tuning and a top 6 scoring role, which is available for the taking.

Also as far as Henrique goes, yeah he had a pretty lackluster season last year but I accredit that to a sophomore slump, he'll be back in form this year.

DeBoer has to give Tedenby a break and some room to operate. DeBoer has been tough on Tedenby he puts him on a short leash.

DeBoer has to give Tedenby a break and some room to operate. DeBoer has been tough on Tedenby he puts him on a short leash.

You think the offense sucks but you're all for giving Teds more of a chance?! What are you smoking and where can I get some?

He got half a season playing with Clarkson before we got Poni v1.0 and what'd he put up 1 goal? 

Edited by DH26

1) Kovalchuk's biggest fault while he was here was that he was too unselfish and didn't shoot the puck more often.

5) Stop trolling. We got enough Kovy BS for years. Of course the year he was 5th in scoring and leading the Devils to the Cup Finals, you were absent. 

1.  Kovalchuks' biggest fault is he tries to do everything himself, which is ultimately the reason he is usually the league leader in Give-away's and has been -41 with the Devils in his career.   

2.  Speaks volumes about the need NOT to depend on one player

3.  Speaks to the lack of depth,

4.  It makes a huge difference

5.  Not sure how you turned this into an anti-Kovy thread. 

I mean, there's really not a dumber thing you could say then 'Kovalchuk leads in giveaways because he tries to do everything himself'.  Most giveaways are passes, which is why someone like Joe Thornton is always among the league leaders.  It's also an incredibly dumb stat.

Kovalchuk is -7 with the Devils at 5 on 5.  He is also not -41 with the Devils, might want to check your numbers there.  Goalies being hot garbage never helps.

#2 is also one of the dumber things you've ever written on here.

Edited by Triumph
  • Like 2

I agree...he's had a shot, but you never kno when someone might break out or put in a good offseason. 

They also lost six in a row without Marty and started going downhill when Zubrus got hurt. It wasn't a matter of being solely dependent on one player, they just didn't have the scoring depth to compensate when someone did get hurt.

I mean, there's really not a dumber thing you could say then 'Kovalchuk leads in giveaways because he tries to do everything himself'.  Most giveaways are passes, which is why someone like Joe Thornton is always among the league leaders.  It's also an incredibly dumb stat.

Kovalchuk is -7 with the Devils at 5 on 5.  He is also not -41 with the Devils, might want to check your numbers there.  Goalies being hot garbage never helps.

#2 is also one of the dumber things you've ever written on here.

Thanks Mr. Makebelieve!!!

Thanks Mr. Makebelieve!!!

By giving you actual numbers/sensible things, he's making believe?

I have a serious question: do you actually know we got to the finals last year? I'm really not sure you're aware and think we're the Oilers or something

• Like 1

Is noone slightly worried about this defense???

Larsson - Fayne

Greene - Salvador

Volchenkov - Zidlicky

Urbom, Gelinas,Harrold

It's the same defense that went to the finals 2 years ago, with an improved Larsson and a lot of potential in the minors. I'm not worried much about the defense other than the lack of a transition game.

By giving you actual numbers/sensible things, he's making believe?

I have a serious question: do you actually know we got to the finals last year? I'm really not sure you're aware and think we're the Oilers or something

No, because his "actual/sensible things" are usually bullsh!t and he bolsters his silly assesment based on make-believe statistics that don't include actual game variables that can not be measured statiscally.  

Since signing Kovalchuk he is -26, -9, -6 last time I check this was -41.

I did not include his  -7 during our Stanley Cup run.    

It's the same defense that went to the finals 2 years ago, with an improved Larsson and a lot of potential in the minors. I'm not worried much about the defense other than the lack of a transition game.

Agreed.

No, because his "actual/sensible things" are usually bullsh!t and he bolsters his silly assesment based on make-believe statistics that don't include actual game variables that can not be measured statiscally.  

Since signing Kovalchuk he is -26, -9, -6 last time I check this was -41.

Hates on statistics, quotes a statistic.  Classic.  Also nice goal post shift.

You really can't use the "we depended too much on Kovalchuk this season and sucked while he was injured" argument AND the "we played our best playoff game without him" argument.

You can if they were two different teams, and two different results.

Classic, draw attention away from your erroneous statement, by not addressing your own misinformation.

Nice goal post shift.

Hahaha.  Okay, we can do this all day, or you can admit that you were wrong.  As a Devil - and when people say 'As an X' they seldom quote playoff stats along with it, Kovalchuk is -32.  He's only -7 at even strength when empty net goals are removed, which is part of why plus minus is an idiotic statistic.  You goal post shifted, as you often do, when you added 'after he was signed'.

Hahaha.  Okay, we can do this all day, or you can admit that you were wrong.  As a Devil - and when people say 'As an X' they seldom quote playoff stats along with it, Kovalchuk is -32.  He's only -7 at even strength when empty net goals are removed, which is part of why plus minus is an idiotic statistic.  You goal post shifted, as you often do, when you added 'after he was signed'.

If I have moved goal posts, then I am falling into your habits.  You are the master at it.

I didn't say I agreed with the validity of +/- (although it is telling when a player establishes this year after year).   I made a statement, you made an erroneous response.   And when you were proven wrong you went in a different direction....and threw in more statistics to soften the blow, as you always do when your wrong.  

If I have moved goal posts, then I am falling into your habits.  You are the master at it.

I didn't say I agreed with the validity of +/- (although it is telling when a player establishes this year after year).   I made a statement, you made an erroneous response.   And when you were proven wrong you went in a different direction....and threw in more statistics to soften the blow, as you always do when your wrong.  

You still don't know you were wrong, do you?  You really don't.