Whitney Houston Dead at 48

Guest BelieveinBrodeur

Nobody said you had to WATCH the fvcking coverage, did they?

I just love all of you people who are so eager to invalidate all of the good things a person does because they made some bad choices. God forbid someone should become rich and famous but fail to become perfect as well.

And no, I don't really give a rat's ass about Whitney Houston. It's the principle of the thing, that's all.

Agreed.

It's been interesting to watch Facebook on this one. Lots of people are making the same points Mayday did.

Then there are others. One of my girlfriend's FB friends is an enlisted soldier, and she made the point for people to stop saying the attention being given to Houston should be reserved for soldiers. Her point was that anyone who enlists does so as selfless service for their country. That service wouldn't be very selfless if they did it for the attention.

Another was one of my closest friends who was countering everyone complaining about Gov. Christie ordering the flags be flown at half-mast for Houston. He posted this link, which shows Christie has issued similar orders for everyone from fallen soldiers, assemblymen, high school athletics coaches and Clarence Clemons from the E-Street Band. Basically, the point was to ease up. Ignore the drugs for a moment and realize that Houston was one of Jersey's own, and now she's gone. The state recognized her life and accomplishments the same way it always has.

I'm not gonna go crazy mourning Houston's death. It's sad, but she didn't touch my life the way she touched others. There are people who had Houston's songs act as the soundtrack to significant moments in their lives. Maybe one of her songs was their wedding song. Maybe she had the No. 1 hit during the best summer of their lives, and hearing it takes them back to a happy time. Maybe they were full of fear when a loved one was sent overseas to serve during the Persian Gulf war, and her rendition of the national anthem served as a tear-jerking reminder to why their loved one was serving his/her country in the first place. Whatever the reason, she was important to some people. And they're justified in being sad at the loss.

Maybe a different sentiment would be shown on this sports forum if it was an athlete that battled personal demons instead of a pop singer.

Regardless, a loss of life is a loss of life. Houston's parents are now without a daughter, and her daughter is now without a mother. That, in itself, is a tragedy.

Agreed.

It's been interesting to watch Facebook on this one. Lots of people are making the same points Mayday did.

Then there are others. One of my girlfriend's FB friends is an enlisted soldier, and she made the point for people to stop saying the attention being given to Houston should be reserved for soldiers. Her point was that anyone who enlists does so as selfless service for their country. That service wouldn't be very selfless if they did it for the attention.

Another was one of my closest friends who was countering everyone complaining about Gov. Christie ordering the flags be flown at half-mast for Houston. He posted this link, which shows Christie has issued similar orders for everyone from fallen soldiers, assemblymen, high school athletics coaches and Clarence Clemons from the E-Street Band. Basically, the point was to ease up. Ignore the drugs for a moment and realize that Houston was one of Jersey's own, and now she's gone. The state recognized her life and accomplishments the same way it always has.

I'm not gonna go crazy mourning Houston's death. It's sad, but she didn't touch my life the way she touched others. There are people who had Houston's songs act as the soundtrack to significant moments in their lives. Maybe one of her songs was their wedding song. Maybe she had the No. 1 hit during the best summer of their lives, and hearing it takes them back to a happy time. Maybe they were full of fear when a loved one was sent overseas to serve during the Persian Gulf war, and her rendition of the national anthem served as a tear-jerking reminder to why their loved one was serving his/her country in the first place. Whatever the reason, she was important to some people. And they're justified in being sad at the loss.

Maybe a different sentiment would be shown on this sports forum if it was an athlete that battled personal demons instead of a pop singer.

Regardless, a loss of life is a loss of life. Houston's parents are now without a daughter, and her daughter is now without a mother. That, in itself, is a tragedy.

There was an Op-Ed piece in my local newspaper recently that said that instead of lowering the American flag for Whitney and other nonservice members, maybe just the state flag could be lowered. The writer said he wasn't aware that the flag was also lowered for Clemons, but had he known about at the time, he would've felt the same way. ... He thought lowering the American flag for anyone else kind of cheapens it for when it is lowered for military.