Zach's Arbitration

Onddeck

Parise is eligible to sign an extension on January 1st right? so what do you think, are we gonna find out in a week what his plans are? or do you think he will for sure test the market?

Come on Zach! how fantastic would it be if he just signed the contract like next week, how much of a reliever would that be

i cant even describe how relief i'd be if Zach re-sign long term...

it just seems like ive been constantly stressed with this organization for like 3 years straight... no summers off... we're always waiting for something to happen... waiting for kovy to resign... waiting for Lou to fire Maclean... stressing to somehow make the playoffs... stressing to draft Larsson... stressing to resign zach.... then stressing again to resign zach... plus all the injuries

it has been my worst streak as a NJ for sure

that been said... i dont care how much Lou thinks that contracts discussion during the season can take away the player's focus or wtv...

im sure its creating more stress for the team and himself not knowing whats gonna happen with Zach... if he would resign long-term im sure they would all be pumped about it knowing the organization is going in the right direction either than losing their main piece and try to patch it for the next few years

that been said... i dont care how much Lou thinks that contracts discussion during the season can take away the player's focus or wtv...

im sure its creating more stress for the team and himself not knowing whats gonna happen with Zach... if he would resign long-term im sure they would all be pumped about it knowing the organization is going in the right direction either than losing their main piece and try to patch it for the next few years

Every summer is stressful as a Devs fan, losing Neids, then Gomer, then Rafalski and Gionta (I know I know none of these guys were gonna resign with us anyway)The Kovi situation was stressful, but I guess ended good for us ?? It just seems every summer is hell for us

I'm pretty sure it's sometime in mid-January, not January 1. And I doubt we'll find anything out at all for a while, just because this franchise has to do everything the hard way.

If you were Zach, would you be so quick to stay? A lot of uncertainty around the Devils right now. I wouldn't blame him for wanting to at least see how this season plays out.

If you were Zach, would you be so quick to stay? A lot of uncertainty around the Devils right now. I wouldn't blame him for wanting to at least see how this season plays out.

i guess yea, you're right. with the situation the team is in at the moment there is no reason why he should immediately just close all the other doors and sign with us long term... unless he just loves us tremendously :pray:

It's a good question CR... It's tough to say, because none of us know what's going on in Zach's head. But I will say this: if I was drafted by a team like the Devils that is trying to build tradition, and has a very successful recent past, I think I'd want to stay long-term and try to add to that tradition. I'd want to help continue to build something here, and maybe have my number raised to the rafters one day. I'd always prefer to finish what I started in one place than go to a ready-made winning situation. During the Nieds ceremony, I was thinking to myself "I hope Zach is really paying attention to this".

Parise is eligible to sign an extension on January 1st right? so what do you think, are we gonna find out in a week what his plans are? or do you think he will for sure test the market?

Come on Zach! how fantastic would it be if he just signed the contract like next week, how much of a reliever would that be

I hope he does. He's easily the hardest working player on the team. Leaves it all out on the ice but that might end up being the problem because nobody else seems to give an every night effort like Zach.

Hes not having the sort of year we all thought he would but he's coming off an injury and I think he'll only work harder and get better.

I think if the team was doing a little better it would make his decision easier to sign with NJ.

Other teams are probably just going to offer him a lot more money and even though he might want to stay in Jersey the business aspect will kick in, take over his soul, and he'll sign somewhere else. I bet in the division.

Edited by ScoreMoreThan3

It's a good question CR... It's tough to say, because none of us know what's going on in Zach's head. But I will say this: if I was drafted by a team like the Devils that is trying to build tradition, and has a very successful recent past, I think I'd want to stay long-term and try to add to that tradition. I'd want to help continue to build something here, and maybe have my number raised to the rafters one day. I'd always prefer to finish what I started in one place than go to a ready-made winning situation. During the Nieds ceremony, I was thinking to myself "I hope Zach is really paying attention to this".

Thing is what he is looking for. Since Zach has been on this team we have overall had success during the regular season, but not much in the post season. We have won exactly 2 rounds since he has been here and never gone beyond the 2nd round. In the mean time he has seen others like Crosby, Kane, Kesler, Fleury, Toews, and even Stamkos have more success in the post-season than him so that has to be on his mind too.

He also wants to look at individually what he wants. Like on another recent thread here, in order to win cups a lot of the 95-03 Devils had to sacrific a lot of personal stats. Players like Stevens had better stats before they came here and players like Nieds and Rafalski had better stats after they left and quite honestly it seemed Nieds and Rafalski at least on the national NHL level got more recognition for their talents after they left the Devils. The fact that we had those players for as long as we did I will point to that they probably would have left if they weren't as successful as they were and won some cups.

The problem is that the recent successful past doesn't have much to do with the future. We're hearing about financial problems like never before. The longtime face of the franchise is almost done. The GM isn't getting any younger. And Zach is probably starting to wonder what's like to go deep into the playoffs, and how soon that could realistically happen here. And though he's still relatively young (27), I'm sure he has to be looking at his time here and starting to wonder what real progress has been made. Like I said, it's a time of uncertainty for the Devils, and though I don't think that means Zach is running for the door, I do think he's likely pondering if just signing here without at least seeing what's out there is a good idea.

and Lou will then sign Brian Gionta as Zach's replacement ...thinking all is good

He's under contract to Montreal for two more seasons, and even if he wasn't, he hasn't exactly torn it up for the Canadiens (107 pts in 172 GP). And he's also missed games to boot.

The problem is that the recent successful past doesn't have much to do with the future. We're hearing about financial problems like never before. The longtime face of the franchise is almost done. The GM isn't getting any younger. And Zach is probably starting to wonder what's like to go deep into the playoffs, and how soon that could realistically happen here. And though he's still relatively young (27), I'm sure he has to be looking at his time here and starting to wonder what real progress has been made. Like I said, it's a time of uncertainty for the Devils, and though I don't think that means Zach is running for the door, I do think he's likely pondering if just signing here without at least seeing what's out there is a good idea.

Re: the point about going deep into the playoffs- Zach hasn't exactly stepped his game up in the postseason, so he's partially to blame for that. It's not like he's carried them through any series or willed his team to any postseason success. He has to look in the mirror on that one as much as anyone else. I understand the supporting cast does need to improve, but Zach hasn't really been much of a factor in the postseasons he's been in.

Re: the point about going deep into the playoffs- Zach hasn't exactly stepped his game up in the postseason, so he's partially to blame for that. It's not like he's carried them through any series or willed his team to any postseason success. He has to look in the mirror on that one as much as anyone else. I understand the supporting cast does need to improve, but Zach hasn't really been much of a factor in the postseasons he's been in.

Not saying you're wrong, but players don't always see it that way. He may decide he wants a Cup, sees a team that looks like it has a better chance that may want him, that he thinks he fits in with better...

I won't pretend to know what Zach is thinking or who he's surrounded by, but all it takes sometimes is an agent saying something along the lines of "The Devils don't know how to build around you/use you properly...you could be more successful playing for blank..." Such an agent could convince Zach that the Devils are the problem, and not himself.

I know he wasn't the brightest bulb in the batch, but that tact worked with Scott Gomez.

I hope Lou breaks away from his belief to not negotiate in season. I'm not going to get my hopes up about that though. With everything that has happened the past few years I don't blame Parise if he wants to go to July 1 to see what's out there. In fact if he leaves, I won't be able to get angry at him.

I would not bet on it and the only time I can remember him negotiating during the season was with Marty. Also, I only think that happened because if I recall correctly, he was his own agent and took a hometown discount, so it was not really much to go back and forth on.

(Yay I'm a head coach now!)

I hope Lou breaks away from his belief to not negotiate in season. I'm not going to get my hopes up about that though. With everything that has happened the past few years I don't blame Parise if he wants to go to July 1 to see what's out there. In fact if he leaves, I won't be able to get angry at him.

I don't get angry at these guys for leaving anymore. For one, it's not like they choose to play for the teams that draft them...if they really don't want to play for that team, they either have to hold out until that team's rights to him expire, or try to force a trade. I know the system has to be that way...the draft is necessary, but I can't hold it against players if they later choose to exercise their rights to go sign with another team. And let's face it, as far as sex factor goes, the Devils are not one of the sexier choices out there...it's not like young future stars everywhere are dreaming about playing NHL hockey in front of less-than-capacity crowds in Newark, no matter how successful the team has been over the last two decades. So I get it if a guy like Parise gets drafted by the Devils, plays here for a while, then decides to exercise his right to play somewhere else that might appeal to him for any number of reasons, both on or off the ice.